ADVERTISEMENT

Football OL Hollin Pierce talks transformation, on-field experience, and more

He was 450 lbs in high school, 390 as a recruit, and now at 330 lbs. We usually see high school players adding weight after they have been in the program for 1 or more years.

Was there something specific Pierce did to lose all that weight in terms of diet?

He was 450 lbs in high school, 390 as a recruit, and now at 330 lbs. We usually see high school players adding weight after they have been in the program for 1 or more years.

Was there something specific Pierce did to lose all that weight in terms of diet?
you trying to lose a few LBs?

you trying to lose a few LBs?
I have. Just curious what Butler and the staff did for a young person who is athletic. Was it purely calories in/calories out, or an approach focused on a healthier diet with less processed food/flour, bread, sugar, rice, etc. in favor of protein and healthy carbs such as vegetables, etc.

You got tips? Always looking for good info.

I have. Just curious what Butler and the staff did for a young person who is athletic. Was it purely calories in/calories out, or an approach focused on a healthier diet with less processed food/flour, bread, sugar, rice, etc. in favor of protein and healthy carbs such as vegetables, etc.

You got tips? Always looking for good info.
I have no tips, trying to find myself on how to lose stubborn bellyfat. The rest of my body is toned and muscular but have that more than an inch of belly fat that is hard to get rid of

The Mike Fladell path.

I have no tips, trying to find myself on how to lose stubborn bellyfat. The rest of my body is toned and muscular but have that more than an inch of belly fat that is hard to get rid of
Everyone's different, and the resident calorie in/calorie out guy will surely chime in. Maybe try intermittent fasting, which can include eating in an 8 (or better yet 6) hour eating window, or more extreme going one meal a day. I had great success with one meal a day, but then my body adjusted (homeostasis?), and I plateaued. Been doing some alternate day fasting (eating every other day), which helped restart some weight loss, along with doing cardio and/or resistance training (body weight and weights) in a fasted state. Should add in that I cut out all processed food (chips, pretzels, bread, pizza, sweets, sugar, etc), and 99% of the time, we don't eat these foods, which also made a difference.

I'm in my 50s, and it's not easy to lose beyond what I did (about 35 lbs). Could stand to lose another 15 or 20 lbs. On the other hand, all the cardio (mostly mountain bike riding) and resistance training has paid off, and I don't look like the flabby mess I had become pre-pandemic.

Everyone's different, and the resident calorie in/calorie out guy will surely chime in. Maybe try intermittent fasting, which can include eating in an 8 (or better yet 6) hour eating window, or more extreme going one meal a day. I had great success with one meal a day, but then my body adjusted (homeostasis?), and I plateaued. Been doing some alternate day fasting (eating every other day), which helped restart some weight loss, along with doing cardio and/or resistance training (body weight and weights) in a fasted state. Should add in that I cut out all processed food (chips, pretzels, bread, pizza, sweets, sugar, etc), and 99% of the time, we don't eat these foods, which also made a difference.

I'm in my 50s, and it's not easy to lose beyond what I did (about 35 lbs). Could stand to lose another 15 or 20 lbs. On the other hand, all the cardio (mostly mountain bike riding) and resistance training has paid off, and I don't look like the flabby mess I had become pre-pandemic.
You sound a lot like me but I can't fast for a day and go no coffee (sugar), bread, etc. Like you I do weights and cardio 4-5 times a week.

Thanks for the tips

You sound a lot like me but I can't fast for a day and go no coffee (sugar), bread, etc. Like you I do weights and cardio 4-5 times a week.

Thanks for the tips
As many people I follow on Twitter (who must be real?) and many MDs, exercise gurus, dieticians say, you can't out exercise a bad diet. For me, I had to cut the sugars and bad carbs as I was trending towards diabetes, which killed most of the older men in our family at a relatively early age. Some people can eat bagels and pizza with reckless abandon and not gain weight. Everyone is a little different. The key for me is to find what "works" for me and not worry about what others do.

Reactions: rubigtimenow

It is calories in/calories out. It's science. We could argue the best approach to ensure a caloric deficit, but the fact of the matter is this: the only way to lose body fat is to burn more calories than you consume for an extended period of time.

It is calories in/calories out. It's science. We could argue the best approach to ensure a caloric deficit, but the fact of the matter is this: the only way to lose body fat is to burn more calories than you consume for an extended period of time.
Ultimately, you are mostly right. The kicker for those who are insulin resistant or who get hooked on the ultra-processed foods that are engineered to induce hunger cravings, it becomes a losing battle once they start consuming processed foods and carbs. So, in the end, they wind up consuming more calories if they do not cut out the bad carbs. And, of course, sugary and sweet foods are dense in calories, but don't offer much in the way of satiety. Leveraging protein and minimizing fat results in high satiety (not high society) with lower calorie intake.

Intermittent fasting + keto = I lost 20 pounds since May

it's so simple. No calories + black coffee before 12, eat 12-8, 50g of carbs per day, lots of meat, yogurt, nuts, eggs. 2500 cals per day. Repeat.

One day per week on the weekend eat whatever I want without counting carbs, but it's still relatively healthy.

Diet, working out, changing habits, etc

Reactions: Knight Shift
ADVERTISEMENT