ADVERTISEMENT

Older UNC Fan Brawls with Virginia Tech Student Section...I hope none of our fans ever do this...EVER!

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010

WATCH: Older UNC Fan Brawls with Virginia Tech Student Section​

If you can’t win the game, try to win the fight. That seems to be what an older North Carolina fan was thinking as he charged into the Virginia Tech student section launching haymakers.

What led to the solo charge of the blue-clad dad is unknown. He was clearly targeting a particular member of the Virginia Tech student section, which would make one believe that heckling was involved at some point. Regardless of what started it, it ended with UNC dad at the bottom of a pile of Hokies.

It appears as though the fan targeted by the dad attempted to get away once he realized he had provoked the wrong guy. Virginia Tech ended up winning the game. However, if North Carolina had as much fight as their dad’s apparently do, it might have been a different story.

https://www.breitbart.com/sports/20...an-brawls-with-virginia-tech-student-section/

Amateur move charging in with sunglasses on your head. He needed to leave his Oakleys with his wife. Note: anytime you see an angry guy take off his glasses or hat, the shit is a bout to get real.
It got real for him real quick with a beatdown by the VT Students. Even a UFC fighter would lose that fight.

Reactions: eddynyse
Dumb all around. Dude gets in two punches before getting taken down and beaten by the swarm.

Just why?
There's got to be one helluva good reason I'd guess. Either the kid - and this would be NO surprise - was throwing things at him and his group or consistently shouting stuff at the females with him. I'd wager it's one of the 2. Let's not put ALL of this on the guy in powder-puff blue. Doesn't mean he couldn't have handled things better, don't get me wrong, but sometimes "enough is enough" and we don't have all the details.

There's got to be one helluva good reason I'd guess. Either the kid - and this would be NO surprise - was throwing things at him and his group or consistently shouting stuff at the females with him. I'd wager it's one of the 2. Let's not put ALL of this on the guy in powder-puff blue. Doesn't mean he couldn't have handled things better, don't get me wrong, but sometimes "enough is enough" and we don't have all the details.

All good points; the video certainly might have distorted the identity of the aggressor.

But on a tactical level, launching that attack on a mass of humanity = dumb, dumberand dumbest. If he was being harassed, he compounded the problem by getting his ass kicked. Not much of a solution.

For all we know, the guy (or someone in his family) may have just been hit in the head with an object thrown by the Tennessee fan he went after. Video, alone, will often provide a very incomplete depiction of events.

literally one Carolina guy in a sea of hundreds of VT students. What is he even doing there. There's probably more to the story than just them picking on him for wearing different colors.

Last edited:
For all we know, the guy (or someone in his family) may have just been hit in the head with an object thrown by the Tennessee fan he went after. Video, alone, will often provide a very incomplete depiction of events.

Except it was Va. Tech. If it was based on verbiage I haven't seen a reaction like that since the goalie in Slap Shot

No, no, no, Its all on the UNC Dad. Lets say your correct the VT students were taunting him, throwing things, whatever. You're in their stadium and you always have the option of walking away. This guy goes charging into their section and got the beatdown he deserved. He is lucky the two sheriffs officers were there. LOL!
This is akin, to a fruit fan charging into our student section, You would be saying the fruity got what he deserved!

No, no, no, Its all on the UNC Dad. Lets say your correct the VT students were taunting him, throwing things, whatever. You're in their stadium and you always have the option of walking away. This guy goes charging into their section and got the beatdown he deserved. He is lucky the two sheriffs officers were there. LOL!
This is akin, to a fruit fan charging into our student section, You would be saying the fruity got what he deserved!
Oh I’m not saying it was a SMART move lol!!’

• Haha
Reactions: WhiteBus
All good points; the video certainly might have distorted the identity of the aggressor.

But on a tactical level, launching that attack on a mass of humanity = dumb, dumberand dumbest. If he was being harassed, he compounded the problem by getting his ass kicked. Not much of a solution.
This… just adding injury to insult. Unless he’s the hulk, no way his afternoon doesn’t go from bad worse.
Never understood brawling at a live game. I go to games to relax and enjoy myself as a distraction from the chaos that is real life. Someone starts talking smack, walk away. Things can get ugly quickly no matter how tough you are.

I agree- bad move on a bunch of levels and the guy probably now has legal issues to sort out. I do understand @AreYouNUTS point though. When you see the look in that guy’s eyes, something really pushed him over the edge. That’s when you need your group to tackle you and bring you back to earth.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS

Agree completely. Much sounder maneuver if he were waring a suicide vest but not much hope of success in the approach actually taken.
Seriously though, he had two LEO's in the vicinity. Report the problem and let them handle it. Excessive alcohol consumption can lead to poor choices.

Fightin’ Scanlons anyone?

Any chance that a visiting RU fan can grab a Syracuse scalp at the Dome on Saturday? If so then we need to see video!

• Haha
Reactions: RUScrew85
From the video it seems the UNC dad got in more punches than the VT student section. Looks like one kid threw a rabbit punch and the rest just held him down. At the beginning you see a bunch of VT students scatter, so you know this was going on for a while prior.

Edit: Read a few articles. Sounds like the VT students were throwing airplane glass bottles and beer cans and hit a young girl by the UNC dad. Must have been his daughter with that reaction. Can't blame him if so.

From the video it seems the UNC dad got in more punches than the VT student section. Looks like one kid threw a rabbit punch and the rest just held him down. At the beginning you see a bunch of VT students scatter, so you know this was going on for a while prior.

Edit: Read a few articles. Sounds like the VT students were throwing airplane glass bottles and beer cans and hit a young girl by the UNC dad. Must have been his daughter with that reaction. Can't blame him if so.
Yeah I doubt he took too much of a beating there.

But he will have charges pressed against him, and will have to travel to attend that court date. Maybe it ends up as a criminal record, or maybe it just costs him a bunch in lawyers fees so that it doesn't but it will likely end in pretty painful result.

But on a tactical level, launching that attack on a mass of humanity
= dumb, dumberand dumbest. If he was being harassed, he compounded the problem by getting his ass kicked. Not much of a solution.
From a lower vantage point no less. Sometimes you just have to take that hill though.

Let's say for a minute we're in our stadium and a psu fan behind me is taunting me then accidentally brushes up against me in his drunkenness. Do I have the right to punch him in the face? I would like to know what the board thinks. I want to settle an argument I had with my wife that game, she said I couldn't, I said I was perfectly in my right to do so.

Agreed, not a smart move but his switched flipped for a reason, and the look in his eyes had him zeroed in on the probable perpetrator. This dude had balls and I'd give him a draw at worst, depending on what happened inside the scrum. First, the masses parted and scattered..win for the dad. Second, he lands two really, really good right hands...win for the dad again. Who knows what happened in the scrum, but my guess is these stunned college kids had no idea what the hell was happening or what to do. Someone might have gotten a jab or knee to the dad. Not condoning his actions whatsoever, but I give the dad a win.

Let's say for a minute we're in our stadium and a psu fan behind me is taunting me then accidentally brushes up against me in his drunkenness. Do I have the right to punch him in the face? I would like to know what the board thinks. I want to settle an argument I had with my wife that game, she said I couldn't, I said I could.
I think we need more detail as to the taunting, and what level of physical contact was actually made.

Let's say for a minute we're in our stadium and a psu fan behind me is taunting me then accidentally brushes up against me in his drunkenness. Do I have the right to punch him in the face? I would like to know what the board thinks. I want to settle an argument I had with my wife that game, she said I couldn't, I said it was perfectly in my right to do so.
Wife wins..number one, because taunting and brushing up does not give the right for you to throw punches. You would be facing an assault charge. Second, wife wins because the wife is always right. I thought you learned that lesson by now.

Last edited:
Agreed, not a smart move but his switched flipped for a reason, and the look in his eyes had him zeroed in on the probable perpetrator. This dude had balls and I'd give him a draw at worst, depending on what happened inside the scrum. First, the masses parted and scattered..win for the dad. Second, he lands two really, really good right hands...win for the dad again. Who knows what happened in the scrum, but my guess is these stunned college kids had no idea what the hell was happening or what to do. Someone might have gotten a jab or knee to the dad. Not condoning his actions whatsoever, but I give the dad a win.
The masses parting is not so much of a win if we consider that the people in between likely had no part in the situation.

I'm also not so sure how much credit I want to give him for punching a college kid. Just looking at the video it def looks like man vs boy.

Now maybe the kid said or did something that truly earned himself a lesson, but I don't rule out the Dad not being able to handle some overly aggressive taunting.

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
Let's say for a minute we're in our stadium and a psu fan behind me is taunting me then accidentally brushes up against me in his drunkenness. Do I have the right to punch him in the face? I would like to know what the board thinks. I want to settle an argument I had with my wife that game, she said I couldn't, I said I was perfectly in my right to do so.

No, not for merely brushing against you.

Thank your wife.

Reactions: Knight Ed
No, not for merely brushing against you.

Thank your wife.
Well, he did have to put his hands on me to stop from falling over into our row. Let's just say, I ensured the argument I had with my wife was loud enough so that he could hear it. I knew should would never let me do it.

Someone posted it above — VT fans were throwing stuff and young girl got hit. I guess if it was someone else’s daughter he could’ve taken the high road. But if it was his daughter I have zero with what he did. Well, to be fair, even if it wasn’t his young daughter I don’t have an issue with it.

Well, he did have to put his hands on me to stop from falling over into our row. Let's just say, I ensured the argument I had with my wife was loud enough so that he could hear it. I knew should would never let me do it.

Now did he stumble on you while actively taunting you or unrelated?

Either way, seems like the right way to handle it, lol.

Reactions: koleszar
No, you do not have the "right" to engage in physical violence because someone is annoying you and "accidentally" brushes against you. The only justification would be self defense which was not the case here. You would be arrested for assault .

47573371-9962979-image-a-45_1630944916428.jpg

amazing what a different angle reveals, he had a kid pinned under the bench….

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT