ADVERTISEMENT

On the Banks: Potential Players to Replace Nigel

Thanks for the article. Moore, Collins and Lake intrigue me. The Penn State transfer Thorpe will have to sit, which then has to be calculated into the 2018 season. I am confident Pikiell and company will find complimentary players for next season. Collins, the sharp shooter really could be one of those interesting additions.

Thorpe won't have to sit. He's a grad transfer out of USF. He originally played at PSU. The Bryant transfer will have to sit.

Reactions: biazza38
Seriously if there is a chance to get Zouzoua it would be amazing.

19 pts vs. Notre Dame
22 pts vs. Gonzaga
24 pts vs. Northwestern

and he chucks threes like no tomorrow, 37% for the year, and 9 times last year he had double digit attempts, including 7-14 against Cent. Conn. St.

The second guy I would get is Lake. Having a big man like that would help alot.

Reactions: TruJerz
Geno Thorpe:

Nisre Zouzoua:

Shakur Juiston:

De'Quon Lake (I think this is him, not much out there for him):

Terrence Samuel:

Reactions: lilphilw
Why not dream? Thorpe and Lake would be terrific:

1) A 6'4" shooting guard - not as purely athletic as Johnson, but smooth, a shooter and 6'4" versus 6'0"

2) A mobile athletic post player.

Sign me up if RU could get those 2.

Does anyone know what schools Thorpe is looking at? Having Knight involved may help. I agree with Jelly. Get those two guys and I would be thrilled.

Do we have a realistic shot at any of these guys or is this the writer's opinion?

Per the article, Aaron has sources that says we've reached out to a few of these guys. As for chances... who knows? Recruiting is a strange game.

Reactions: biazza38
Per the article, Aaron has sources that says we've reached out to a few of these guys. As for chances... who knows? Recruiting is a strange game.
Recruiting is easy but closing the deal is hard especially with a track record of losing.

Nice list. The only one i would have almost no interest in would be Samuels who would literally just be a body added to the roster. Penn St is not a good team and he was barely a contributor there.

Reactions: rubaseball78
Go for Zizou, as we will be thin at guard next year.

Next landing spot for Thorpe will be his third college- red flag.

Samuels, skip.

Clifton Moore, high upside. Has a cool skillset at the moment. Will need to get bigger, but could definitely be a helper down the line. He is a power forward from what I have read.

Lake- grab if possible. I like his skill set, and he seems to be of high character.

Not into this one year players as we are trying to build a team for the future, not just one year.

Shooter vs Non Shooter

Samuel is in the non shooter bucket (aka Deplorables). I like what i saw of him, but.......he is in the discard pile.

Geno Thorpe in the shooter bucket. Not that you would call him a "shooter". 39-104 .375 last year (he'd look like a righty Chris Mullin to us). 3rd school would be a concern. He looks to be a PG with a decent amount of assists, but he isn't afraid to turn it over :weary:. 104-123 from the line 84.6%. Translates to 70% in a red uniform, but still great to us!

One bizarre thing to add to the discussion, REAL bizarre. Kenpom has for every year 5 guys that a player is similar to. Always random and someone recent. For Thorpe...

Similar: Manny Quezada '08 (933), Trant Simpson '08 (928), Norris Cole '10 (927), Marquis Hall '09 (924), Ken Williams '16 (923)

:scream:

Example
Freeman 201-17 Similar: Cory Cooperwood '09 (947), Jalen Jones '15 (943), Devin Booker '12 (939), Ovie Soko '12 (937), Cliff Ederaine '11 (937)
Mike Williams Similar: Paris Horne '10 (936), Dwayne Jackson '08 (934), Andre Jones '11 (932), Marvin Gentry '07 (930), Craig Craft '08 (926)
Candido Sa Similar: Donovon Jack '15 (927), Andy Buechert '08 (926), Patrick Onwenu '14 (924), Adrian Forbes '11 (923), Andrew Zimmermann '11 (923)
Corey Sanders Similar: Trumaine Johnson '09 (926), Tra Holder '16 (925), Tamir Jackson '11 (922), Jamal Branch '13 (921), Corey Chandler '09 (920)

Geno Thorpe in the shooter bucket. Not that you would call him a "shooter". 39-104 .375 last year (he'd look like a righty Chris Mullin to us). 3rd school would be a concern. He looks to be a PG with a decent amount of assists, but he isn't afraid to turn it over :weary:. 104-123 from the line 84.6%. Translates to 70% in a red uniform, but still great to us!

One bizarre thing to add to the discussion, REAL bizarre. Kenpom has for every year 5 guys that a player is similar to. Always random and someone recent. For Thorpe...

Similar: Manny Quezada '08 (933), Trant Simpson '08 (928), Norris Cole '10 (927), Marquis Hall '09 (924), Ken Williams '16 (923)

:scream:

I'm speculating on the reason he's transferring but he was one of two players left behind in an airport by uSF this year.

http://www.thedailystampede.com/pla...ston-geno-thorpe-left-behind-at-airport-tulsa

Samuels, skip.

Clifton Moore, high upside. Has a cool skillset at the moment. Will need to get bigger, but could definitely be a helper down the line. He is a power forward from what I have read.

Lake- grab if possible. I like his skill set, and he seems to be of high character.

Not into this one year players as we are trying to build a team for the future, not just one year.
Rutgers has lacked a team for the future for decades.Winning matters now especially with the loss of at least 4 players next season because of graduation or other reasons.There will be little or no experience with the 2018 team and a winning season will be doubtful.

Samuels, skip.

But if you have room and don't have better options with guys who have more eligibility, they can make the team better which should help recruiting down the line.

Getting CJ was a positive for the program.

But if you have room and don't have better options with guys who have more eligibility, they can make the team better which should help recruiting down the line.

Getting CJ was a positive for the program.

For sure. I touted CJs potential on arrival. Still, to get a guy for one year is not exactly how you rebuild a program. I remember Pikiell said he is very selective. You first find out why Thorpe is transferring, what he expects, and go from there.

Sanders likely returns and runs the point guard for 30 minutes next year. Mike Williams is worthy of 25+. Where does that put Thorpe?Do you bring in Thorpe to replace Williams?I don't think this staff will work like that.

Zouzoua.....I have to assume all transfers are 2 for 1s. 6'2'' 190 2 guards are plentiful. My questions....

1. Why did he end up at Bryant and not a better school
2. Why was Bryant so bad. I know he is 1 of 5 players. Either his teammates are real bad or he isn't a difference maker
3. How is his defense?
4. Career .362 3 point shooter....not bad, but not .400+

For sure. I touted CJs potential on arrival. Still, to get a guy for one year is not exactly how you rebuild a program. I remember Pikiell said he is very selective. You first find out why Thorpe is transferring, what he expects, and go from there.

Sanders likely returns and runs the point guard for 30 minutes next year. Mike Williams is worthy of 25+. Where does that put Thorpe?Do you bring in Thorpe to replace Williams?I don't think this staff will work like that.

Assuming Doucoure reclassifies, we are at 12 players for next year. How does it hurt rebuilding to bring in an one year player? We will still have that spot for the 2018 class

I said nothing about Thorpe, the staff will complete their due diligence on any one they are considering adding to the team.

Assuming Doucoure reclassifies, we are at 12 players for next year. How does it hurt rebuilding to bring in an one year player? We will still have that spot for the 2018 class

I said nothing about Thorpe, the staff will complete their due diligence on any one they are considering adding to the team.

I would rather a kid like the indy decommitt than Thorpe. I also do not know where Thorpe fits in on this team. I trust whatever the staff does, and fully believe we have one of the best the school has ever seen.

A JJ Moore would be TERRIBLE for the rebuilding effort. Chemistry and attitude are very important. We struck gold with CJ. Most are not like him. You have to ask yourself why would anyone come here? It isn't to win and be in the NCAA tournament.

Reactions: higgins3
I do think a recruit comes here to win, but other stuff I agree with.

Pikiell will get his program winning. I have no doubt about that.

A JJ Moore would be TERRIBLE for the rebuilding effort. Chemistry and attitude are very important. We struck gold with CJ. Most are not like him. You have to ask yourself why would anyone come here? It isn't to win and be in the NCAA tournament.

Playing time?

Again, where did I say bring in any warm body?

I would rather a kid like the indy decommitt than Thorpe. I also do not know where Thorpe fits in on this team. I trust whatever the staff does, and fully believe we have one of the best the school has ever seen.

So would I, all things being equal I would rather have 13 guys instead of 12.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT