ADVERTISEMENT

One of Ash's problems in regard to Recruiting

yesrutgers01

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 9, 2008
Is that he is an idiot. OK- maybe strong but his ego seems to get in his way. I know 100% of someone that is training and developing HS players that is out of state and who really loves Rutgers. Over the past couple of years, he has identified some of his kids early who he feels would be great fits for Rutgers and was sure they would develop into D1/P5 players. He usually identifies these kids while they are young and under the radar.
Over the past couple of years, he has reached out to the Rutgers staff(they know him well and he knows them) only to be totally ignored. All he asked is for someone to meet these kids and give them a walk around on an unofficial visit. Kids pay for it themselves.
Long story short...already, a few of these kids are now on P5 teams and others have gotten a handful of P5 offers for this year. And yet, Ash ignores.
I'm sorry, but how does this make any sense. Won't cost Ash a dime to have them come up on unofficials...And it isnt like he is killing it on his own.

Is that he is an idiot. OK- maybe strong but his ego seems to get in his way. I know 100% of someone that is training and developing HS players that is out of state and who really loves Rutgers. Over the past couple of years, he has identified some of his kids early who he feels would be great fits for Rutgers and was sure they would develop into D1/P5 players. He usually identifies these kids while they are young and under the radar.
Over the past couple of years, he has reached out to the Rutgers staff(they know him well and he knows them) only to be totally ignored. All he asked is for someone to meet these kids and give them a walk around on an unofficial visit. Kids pay for it themselves.
Long story short...already, a few of these kids are now on P5 teams and others have gotten a handful of P5 offers for this year. And yet, Ash ignores.
I'm sorry, but how does this make any sense. Won't cost Ash a dime to have them come up on unofficials...And it isnt like he is killing it on his own.
How does this make sense? See your first sentence.

I'm still trying to figure out why he is not wearing any form of RU gear at CVS's 1000 win game.
Jesus, the guy shows up looking like he just left McDonalds.
Hell of a way to show support for a fellow coach who has shown that she has figured out how to win games.

Reactions: biker7766
Great Post. BUT I take issue with your last sentence. He IS killing IT. That is, if IT is the RU FB Program.:sunglasses:

I'm still trying to figure out why he is not wearing any form of RU gear at CVS's 1000 win game.
Jesus, the guy shows up looking like he just left McDonalds.
Hell of a way to show support for a fellow coach who has shown that she has figured out how to win games.

I thought the same thing re: Rob not wearing any RU gear but if you look very (I mean VERY) closely in the photo below you'll see he has a white Block R over his left chest pocket. Might be a subtle way of saying "Hey now...Well I did wear RU gear to the event after all..." The outfit (and his comments on RU traditions) sure as hell don't scream "I BLEED SCARLET" to me IMHO.

a5f_rutgerscvivianstringer006.jpeg

Ash is a bad recruiter and bad coach. Franklin is a great recruiter and a mediocre coach. Point being recruiting can cover up a lot of coaching flaws. As long as we have Ash the recruits from NJ will keep flowing to PSU and other schools. No one wants to play for this doofus.

Hate to bring this up.. but what does that make the Flood era? Leftovers from Schiano + Bad Recruiting + On-n-Off Gameday Coach?

Hate to bring this up.. but what does that make the Flood era? Leftovers from Schiano + Bad Recruiting + On-n-Off Gameday Coach?
I had heard a similar story during the Flood years as well.

It really pays to have great relationships with the high school coaches. This board is overly negative so we don't know if there are positive stories to counter the negative one above.

But Ash shouldn't be turning away any assistance as the results speak for itself.

I actually believe if we had a real AD when Flood was here, he would have recruited much better. But that wasn’t the point of my OP.
This is very specific to Ash being handed, actually begged to look at some P5 talent at no cost(and these kids WANT to visit) and he ignores it.

Reactions: KEEP CHOPPIN
Oh, good, this is just like the political "whataboutisms". Any criticism of Ash, the reply is: "But Flood....."

Give it a rest.

The OP has a very valid point: a FREE pipeline which may identify kids who Rutgers could use that gets ignored by the CURRENT staff. Not Flood's staff, not Schiano's staff, not Shea's staff, not Graber's staff, not Anderson's staff, not Burns' staff, but the current staff.

Oh, good, this is just like the political "whataboutisms". Any criticism of Ash, the reply is: "But Flood....."

Give it a rest.

The OP has a very valid point: a FREE pipeline which may identify kids who Rutgers could use that gets ignored by the CURRENT staff. Not Flood's staff, not Schiano's staff, not Shea's staff, not Graber's staff, not Anderson's staff, not Burns' staff, but the current staff.

Yikes - Like I said "Hate to bring it up"... I know it's not an all-star comparison but just wanted to hear a few opinions. I solemnly swear I won't bring Flood up again. ;)

A few others have mentioned it and I'll second it: I totally agree that now in year 3 we should be seeing some solid traction in the recruiting front and some freakin' passion from the HC. Neither of which is something I'm witnessing under the Ash Era.

It really pays to have great relationships with the high school coaches. This board is overly negative so we don't know if there are positive stories to counter the negative one above.

But Ash shouldn't be turning away any assistance as the results speak for itself.

Here’s one from the Doug Graber years. An RU season ticket holder and booster I knew told Graber that a kid from near his home in Trenton, Kevin Johnson, was a top athlete, QB and WR and that RU should scout him. Graber kind of blew him off.

Of course, Kevin Johnson went on to play WR at Syracuse and had a strong 7 year career in the NFL.

But Rutgers was too busy to look at Kevin Johnson. Some of these coaches appear to be headstrong and don’t want any feedback from others. Works fine if you win, not if you don’t win.

Mistakes in recruiting are made all the time by College HCs, but those who run losing programs ( in my opinion) should take any legitimate opportunity to scout talent when help finding it is offered. A long the opportunity doesn't involve breaking NCAA rules, there isn't a reason to ignore recruiting help offered from someone that is training and developing HS players.

IF WE HAD A REAL AD FLOOD WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN HIRED IN THE FIRST PLACE!!!
You don't know that. Perhaps another AD could have gotten the administration's approval for a much higher salary for the position. Perhaps not. Don't forget that McCormick was a lame duck president at that point, and members of the BOG hated the fact we were paying a football coach as much money as we had been paying Schiano.

Reactions: wegea
Here’s one from the Doug Graber years. An RU season ticket holder and booster I knew told Graber that a kid from near his home in Trenton, Kevin Johnson, was a top athlete, QB and WR and that RU should scout him. Graber kind of blew him off.

Of course, Kevin Johnson went on to play WR at Syracuse and had a strong 7 year career in the NFL.

But Rutgers was too busy to look at Kevin Johnson. Some of these coaches appear to be headstrong and don’t want any feedback from others. Works fine if you win, not if you don’t win.
It’s not that they are ignorant or headstrong, it is that they must get 50 people a day telling them they know of a young or under recruited kid. If two of 50 pan out, that is a lot.

YesRutgers might be different due to the relationship with RU and experience the man he is talking about has.

This is disturbing, but not surprising. However, isn't Mantz supposed to be helping with things like this?

Ash is a bad recruiter and bad coach. Franklin is a great recruiter and a mediocre coach. Point being recruiting can cover up a lot of coaching flaws. As long as we have Ash the recruits from NJ will keep flowing to PSU and other schools. No one wants to play for this doofus.
Difference between 8+ wins a year and losing seasons

It’s not that they are ignorant or headstrong, it is that they must get 50 people a day telling them they know of a young or under recruited kid. If two of 50 pan out, that is a lot.

YesRutgers might be different due to the relationship with RU and experience the man he is talking about has.
The man I am talking about is well know to Ash and while I can understand ignoring the first kid, I don’t understand when now this gentleman has between 5-10 kids on P5 or with mult P5 offers.

Yeah hundreds of people are offering him advice. This is why he hired Mantz. His job is solely to kee all of these pipelines open. Just like the Graber story below. By the way, Graber was winning. I’m sure he wished he had Johnson but he was winning and scoring points. There were just less bowls then and our facilities were low level.

And the first is not RU enough? Cmon. The guy has enough on field problems let’s nit critique his choice of shirts at a Hoops game.

He can’t get pass security because they Are expecting Rob Ash. Plus he’s always dressed to blend in to avoid his fan club and the media.
Rob Ash is a tremendous coach. Only one loss during his Rutgers tenure. This Chris guy is an impostor.

Ash is in over his head and will set the program back even further IF he stays another 11 months.
Do Barchi and Hobbs even Care?

Hobbs, yes.

Barchi, not one iota.

That is why we are in the problem we are in. Sure Ash has to go, but nothing will change until Barchi is gone too. Putting any faith in him is pointless.

Tim was limited by how much salary he could offer. Otherwise Mario would be here.
There were plenty of coaches with head coaching experience that would have taken the job IF OFFERED at the salary offered, but Tim was too busy worrying about saving one recruiting class to interview anyone, so his hire destroyed everything that Schiano built, & sullied the schools reputation also.

Reactions: Knightmoves
Sorry, but none of us should have to be squinting our eyes to see "R".
I find myself really starting to dislike this guy more and more instead of just feeling sorry for him being in so far over his head.
There are a lot of reasons to dislike what the guy has done, but that shirt is not one of them. It's a Rutgers shirt.
I have no dislike for the person. He is a person who is doing what he thinks is the best job at being head coach. I just dislike a lot of what he is doing as head coach. I don't feel the need to demonize the guy.

There is no guarantee that this under the radar talent would develop into anything under these coaches. This staff is not exactly overflowing with Nick Sabans.

Reactions: RedSpartan
ADVERTISEMENT