ADVERTISEMENT

One Projected NCAA lax bracket 4/24: Rutgers not in

I mentioned this in another thread.....This reporter covered Syracuse and the ACC extensively for Syracuse.com. I don't know if that is why he placed 4 ACC teams in the bracket??? His name is Patrick Stevens.....

If Duke beats ND and VA beats Syracuse, ND will be 6-6 and Syracuse 7-6 and Army could still beat ND like they did last year - I don't see either team getting in. The good old boy network is working overtime.

ND won’t get in if they lose to Duke. The old boy network can’t be that strong.

They are fading, boring as hell, and don’t have a resume.

The Acc is way over rated. They only really beat themselves. They did not perform well out of conference. The author in the article is also factually wrong all over the place. Like for North Carolina he states that they have 2 top 10 wins over Hopkins and ND. ND isn't in the top 10.

The Acc is way over rated. They only really beat themselves. They did not perform well out of conference. The author in the article is also factually wrong all over the place. Like for North Carolina he states that they have 2 top 10 wins over Hopkins and ND. ND isn't in the top 10.

Maybe he meant at the time of the game, ND was in the top 10?

Maybe he meant at the time of the game, ND was in the top 10?
Maybe they were but there is the bias as his chart numbers reflect where teams are currently ranked. If it mattered when you played/ beat them then the "old boy network" of getting rated high at the beginning of the year has its benefits.

Maybe they were but there is the bias as his chart numbers reflect where teams are currently ranked. If it mattered when you played/ beat them then the "old boy network" of getting rated high at the beginning of the year has its benefits.
I figured it out. They are top 10 RPI wins. Which is why the RPI is totally flawed. No one in their right mind would rank ND as a top ten team

Last edited:
Reactions: Caliknight
The RPI as a tool, in a 13 or 14 game sample size, is idiotic.
Can you go into a little bit of detail as to why? The RPI seems to be ignored in college basketball for obvious reasons. I just don’t understand how/why it is the way it is

It's a tool the old boys network can point to and say see, this is why. When they play and beat each other, it makes the RPI sound like a great data point.

But with 13-14 games, it really isn't. We didn't get in in the past and that was used as justification. Essentially, the argument was made that beating weaker teams was less impressive than losing to better ones. Horseshit.

Good news is we are playing the game a lot better now, and our conference helps that. But there seems to be some people thinking that RPI will be less weighted than before, using the eye test. Just in time for teams like Uva and Denver to gain entrance and seedings.

Saturday will be the biggest game this program has played in years. I don't think that can be debated. Really, really have to win.
Unfortunately, that's probably all you have to know to figure out what will happen in that game - RU doesn't win big games on the road when there's something on the line. Hope I eat crow but I doubt it.

We beat Lehigh on the road in a very tough game, and we beat Brown on the road in another tough game (if people only knew what the squad had to endure before that game).

Two years ago we beat Hopkins at Hopkins in the B1G tournament which was a huge game. They've beaten a ranked Army team on the road, as well as a ranked Fairfield on the road.

Rutgers lacrosse has won big road games the last few years. Don't get it twisted.

Reactions: TRU2RU and biazza38
We beat Lehigh on the road in a very tough game, and we beat Brown on the road in another tough game (if people only knew what the squad had to endure before that game).

Two years ago we beat Hopkins at Hopkins in the B1G tournament which was a huge game. They've beaten a ranked Army team on the road, as well as a ranked Fairfield on the road.

Rutgers lacrosse has won big road games the last few years. Don't get it twisted.
I remember the weekend of the Brown game there was a crazy hail/snow/rain/wind storm on Friday. I have no clue how they made to Brown for that game. I assume 6-8 hours on a bus in the middle of the night

Road games are tough and OSU won at Maryland where we didn't but as said before we were one or two plays from a win. Against recent competition, Michigan, Hopkins and Penn State we did much better than OSU. We are the better team, we just need to have confidence, relax and get it done.​

Reactions: biazza38
Hopkins was played before Maryland.

Re: Brown- it was an 8 hour bus ride. And upon arrival, let's just say the hotel wasn't prepared. Brown wasn't playing like the slugs they are now. That was probably the best they played all season. It was a truly gutty win, one I am not sure we would have gotten last year.

Never underestimate the power of the Baltimore Mafia. Let's start with the absolute necessity of a win over OSU. No B1G tournament no NCAA bid. But even if they get there, there are no guarantees. The nightmare scenarios revolving around all those AQs work against RU more than almost any other team.

Nightmare #1. Loyola doesn't get an AQ. Trust me, Loyola is going.
Nightmare #2. Denver isn't an AQ. Denver is going.
Nightmare #3. Albany isn't an AQ. If Fields' knee has not been operated on, Albany is going.
Nightmare #4 Duke loses in the ACC semis. The BM will have the excuse to put 3 ACC teams in the tournament.

That's 6 out of 7 at large. That means the last bid goes to EITHER the B1G #2 or the Ivy #2, both of which should be locks.

Never underestimate the power of the Baltimore Mafia. Let's start with the absolute necessity of a win over OSU. No B1G tournament no NCAA bid. But even if they get there, there are no guarantees. The nightmare scenarios revolving around all those AQs work against RU more than almost any other team.

Nightmare #1. Loyola doesn't get an AQ. Trust me, Loyola is going.
Nightmare #2. Denver isn't an AQ. Denver is going.
Nightmare #3. Albany isn't an AQ. If Fields' knee has not been operated on, Albany is going.
Nightmare #4 Duke loses in the ACC semis. The BM will have the excuse to put 3 ACC teams in the tournament.

That's 6 out of 7 at large. That means the last bid goes to EITHER the B1G #2 or the Ivy #2, both of which should be locks.
Just another reason why the field needs to expand

Reactions: RUtom and biazza38
No. Fewer AQs. When the ACC qualifies for an AQ it should be 7. No AQs for the Metro-Atlantic, Northeast or Southern.
Meh. That number 1 and number 2 seed deserve those inferior opponents in the first why. No need to exclude the have nots. I get your point though. One bid leagues that turn into two really screw everything up

The BIG will be having a candlelight vigil with everyone chanting “Michigan beat Notre Dame.”
The RPI is so ridiculous. Cuse gets credit for playing Hopkins and Albany regardless of score. They lost by a billion to both of them. But it doesn’t matter because it boosts their Sos

The RPI is so ridiculous. Cuse gets credit for playing Hopkins and Albany regardless of score. They lost by a billion to both of them. But it doesn’t matter because it boosts their Sos

Rutgers is lucky they didn’t schedule NJIT or they’d be even more desperate.

ADVERTISEMENT