ADVERTISEMENT

One Thing That is Inexcusable

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
I thought overall we did OK against one of the most powerful teams in football on the road. Unlike the past few years I don't feel crushed like I have after recent tOSU games. When you look at this game on tape in a day or two I think that we did some good things. However the talent gap between the schools, while improving, is still several miles wide.
All that being said the one aspect of our game that's been bad all year and hasn't improved are the penalties. When you're covering NFL receivers I can almost excuse the occasional hold or PI but the pre snap penalties are ridiculous. How many times did we line up offsides? Jeez we were offsides twice on KOs!!!!! How do you come out for the second half KO and your kicker doesn't know what he's supposed to do?
This lack of mental discipline is 100% on the coaches and it hasn't gotten any better. Whether it's GS, coordinators, ST coach or position coaches this has to be taken care of.
Kudos though for getting Parker Day a carry at the end of the game. Rushing the football at The Horseshoe is something that kid will never forget. These little things mean a lot to me.

Last edited:
Fake punt aside, Special Teams were horrific today and completely unprepared. I've never seen an offsides from a fake by the kicker before today.

We are supposed to have two of the best return guys in the league (who it seems aren't allowed to return anything) but today our penalty yardage and our return yardage were exactly the same, 61 yards each. And that was only the penalties that were accepted.

Fake punt aside, Special Teams were horrific today and completely unprepared. I've never seen an offsides from a fake by the kicker before today.
Seriously? It wasn't a fake punt. Read what Day said in a couple of the other threads.

Unfortunately I don’t see that talent gap being closed, RU is in the same position as most of the B1G. As long as they have a good HC and staff, I don’t see things changing much In the future. RU is not going to be in a position to seriously challenge a top 5 program.

Reactions: colbert17
I thought overall we did OK against one of the most powerful teams in football on the road. Unlike the past few years I don't feel crushed like I have after recent tOSU games. When you look at this game on tape in a day or two I think that we did some good things. However the talent gap between the schools, while improving, is still several miles wide.
All that being said the one aspect of our game that's been bad all year and hasn't improved are the penalties. When you're covering NFL receivers I can almost excuse the occasional hold or PI but the pre snap penalties are ridiculous. How many times did we line up offsides? Jeez we were offsides twice on KOs!!!!! How do you come out for the second half KO and your kicker doesn't know what he's supposed to do.
This lack of mental discipline is 100% on the coaches and it hasn't gotten any better. Whether it's GS, coordinators, ST coach or position coaches this has to be taken care of.
Kudos though for getting Parker Day a carry at the end of the game. Rushing the football at The Horseshoe is something that kid will never forget. These little things mean a lot to me.
Called or not, we have been offsides on 90% of our kickoffs this year.

Seriously? It wasn't a fake punt. Read what Day said in a couple of the other threads.
I know and said as much in the game thread. But couldn't think of a better way to refer to the play.

All that being said the one aspect of our game that's been bad all year and hasn't improved are the penalties. When you're covering NFL receivers I can almost excuse the occasional hold or PI but the pre snap penalties are ridiculous. How many times did we line up offsides? Jeez we were offsides twice on KOs!!!!! How do you come out for the second half KO and your kicker doesn't know what he's supposed to do?
agree we need less penalties and that is coaching
need a new oc or coaches that can create options with the talent we have

and ALL teams need to be out for the anthem!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT