ADVERTISEMENT

Ongoing opponent watch

Is Minnesota better than Rutgers right now. I would argue yes
He is upset because your counterpoint to him saying he does not think Minnesota will finish near the top half of the conference THIS SEASON is to point out Rutgers hasn't had a winning season in many years. While true, it is irrelevant to his statement.

And no, I do not think Minnesota will be better than us this season. They have no depth and four guys playing 30+ minutes thus far. I will be disappointed if they beat us at the RAC.

Missed this one last night. Stephen F Austin beat Niagara by 9, but they were up 21 with 8:00 to play. They're gonna be a tough out, maybe even better than Drexel.

Is Minnesota better than Rutgers right now. I would argue yes

I could argue BOTH sides and probably convince myself each way.

I suspect at the end of the day Minnesota will end up better than us, but I have little conviction right now.

kenpom and bartovik slowly throw out preseason predictions and replace them with current real #s. I think we need to be in this boat. As every game goes by we need to use more what we see over what we think should be.

We are only 3 games in so we are early in the process. So far the new players aren't far away of what MY expectations are, but again we are only 3 games in.

Reactions: RutgHoops
I believe it was the Iowa site along with Minny and Wisconsin were a large percentage of the fans think the Gophers would be at least .500 in conference play.

I'll be honest, I'm 6 pages deep (back to August) on the Iowa hoops Rivals free forum and there is not a single positive post about Minnesota in any of the conference threads. It would also be hard to find a fanbase more skeptical of Minnesota in any sport than the Badgers fans. There isn't a single thread mentioning Minnesota in the Buckyville hoops forum going back to April except for a single unreplied to post mentioning Eric Curry's ACL injury.

I'll be honest, I'm 6 pages deep (back to August) on the Iowa hoops Rivals free forum and there is not a single positive post about Minnesota in any of the conference threads. It would also be hard to find a fanbase more skeptical of Minnesota in any sport than the Badgers fans. There isn't a single thread mentioning Minnesota in the Buckyville hoops forum going back to April except for a single unreplied to post mentioning Eric Curry's ACL injury.
Some of the sites are not rivals. Here's the link to some of the sites I visited:
https://huskerhoopscentral.com/forums/topic/12077-behind-enemy-lines-other-big-10-boards/

Reactions: Scangg
But the media, Minny fans, and other B1G fans keep believing this team is part of the top half of the B1G. People have to stop looking at the name on the front of the jersey. When will they realize it's the name on the back that determines the likelihood of success.
Teams are what their record says they are.Fans will spin comments to make their favorite team look better than they are.Rutgers fans need to focus on how the team is performing against out of conference opponents because that will give a indicator as to B1G performance.

B1G will finish no worse than the 4th best conference in the country. Likely 3rd or possibly even 2nd. B1G in '19-'20 is a 6/7 bid league at a minimum. As (just about) always.

Georgetown plays defense is optional at times so hard to say how Penn State looked. Stevens is still a beast, but didn't shoot well. Will always get himself to the line.

UMass now 4-0 with today's blowout win C. Conn St 89-43. NJIT 2-2 with W over Wagner 88-69. Lafayette 2-1 down 39-45 early 2nd half to 4-0 Delaware

Bryant leads @Niagara by 9, minute and half left. Bryant will be 4-2.

Pitt leads Monmouth by 7 about 4 minutes left.

Reactions: kcg88
Tonight, Lafayette @home to Penn.
Maryland -26 @home to Fairfield(Jay Young)

One non opponent interesting matchup...

4-0 Vermont vs 4-0 Virginia

Bryant beat Niagara on the road last night, they've now risen 50 spots in KenPom since the pre-season rankings.

That only gets them to 275, but still. They play Drexel tomorrow to complete the rest of the round-robin challenge with these five teams (Rutgers and SFA being the other two).

Tangentially related: 2020 preseason tournaments for Big Ten teams...

Illinois - Emerald Coast Classic
Indiana - Maui Invitational
Michigan - 2K Classic
Minnesota - Hall of Fame Tipoff (Mohegan Sun)
Nebraska - Myrtle Beach Invitational
Northwestern - CBE Classic
Ohio State - Battle 4 Atlantis
Penn State - Charleston Classic
Purdue - Cancun Challenge

TBD:
Iowa
Maryland
Michigan State
Rutgers
Wisconsin

Barthag is % of winning a game vs. average D1 team

1. B12 .8731
2. P12 .8655
3. BE .8592
4. B1G .8248
5. ACC .8200
6. SEC .8106

7. WCC .6642

Why is there a Big 12 with 10 teams AND
a Big 10 with 14 teams

Trade offer
B10 should send it's name PLUS Northwestern FOR Big 12 name PLUS West Virginia

NJIT with a bad bad loss to Binghamton last night. They play Brown this weekend before us on Tuesday.

Watching Georgetown-Texas... our team looks so slow compared to these teams.

Who is going to guard the fish. He went for 29 points. Major matchup problem. Myles? Ron? Yeboah?
He never has overwhelmed us. Anybody up front can guard him . I do not see anyone on their team that scares me. Will be disappointed if we do not beat them twice.

UMass is taking part in the Air Force Reserve Tipoff at Mohegan Sun this weekend. They're 5-0 on the year but have to take on Virginia in their first game, and then either Arizona State or St. John's in the second game.

Reactions: Scarlet Blind
Let’s hope there are no half-time demonstrations at the game. Does Marcus Camby have eligibility remaining?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT