ADVERTISEMENT

OOC is just about set, per Carino

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017

It's... not great!

Thursday, Nov. 7 vs. Bryant (10-20, Kenpom 327)

Sunday, Nov. 10 vs. Niagara (13-19, Kenpom 315)

Wednesday, Nov. 13 vs. Drexel (13-19, Kenpom 251)

Saturday, Nov. 16 vs. St. Bonaventure in Toronto (18-16, Kenpom 121)

Wednesday, Nov. 20 vs. Stephen F. Austin (14-16, Kenpom 311)

Tuesday, Nov. 26 vs. NJIT (22-13, Kenpom 183)

Friday, Nov. 29 vs. UMass (11-21, Kenpom 236)

Tuesday, Dec. 3 at Pittsburgh (14-19, Kenpom 101)

Saturday, Dec. 14 vs. Seton Hall (20-14, Kenpom 60)

Sunday, Dec. 22 vs. Lafayette (10-20, Kenpom 298)

Monday, Dec. 30 vs. Caldwell (17-12 in Division II)

I sure hope the Spain trip gets us ready for Big Ten play because this schedule isn't going to do that.

2020 Torvik ranks:

134 (NJIT... who knew?)
Division 2

We can very easily go 19-12 and miss the tournament with this schedule.

It's possible we win all of those games with the toughest clearly our rivalry game at the RAC

Is it weak? Sure. But you can add 2 big ten teams to the ooc schedule since we play 20 league games when no other league does.

What this does though is magnify the importance of the SHU game. U wanna dance? Gotta win games like bonny’s, pitt and shu

Is it weak? Sure. But you can add 2 big ten teams to the ooc schedule since we play 20 league games when no other league does

ACC does this season. Big East will next year with UConn.

Now granted the ACC non-conference schedules I've seen this year haven't blown me away, but ours is still particularly weak in comparison. Very possible we go 9-2 on this and 10-10 in conference and miss the tournament at 19-12.

Now granted the ACC non-conference schedules I've seen this year haven't blown me away, but ours is still particularly weak in comparison. Very possible we go 9-2 on this and 10-10 in conference and miss the tournament at 19-12.
Well there would be at least on B1G tournament game Rutgers would play and possibly win. I see 9-2 as the minimum OOC. And hopefully a 10-1/11-0 record.

Reactions: Scangg

It would come down to who we beat to get those 10 league wins. If at least seven of the victories are vs. Quad 1 and Quad 2 B1G teams, we'll be dancing.

Dramatic ..but true
No doubt a soft OOC, but really, Pike has done a good job and doesn't need to hang his head in shame about anything. If we're still seeing this another year from now, then it may be cause for concern, but not SHAME. I love Shill's posts though- he cracks me up.

I don't mind the schedule BUT Caldwell in late December?..... I don't usually question our coaches judgement at all, but OOF

Even if we went .500 in the B1G, we would probably need to go about 9-2 OOC for even an NIT bid with this schedule. No room for error at all.

Reactions: kcg88
OOC Schedule if accurate per Carino is a disgrace. Wouldn’t shock me if Hobbs masterminded this to take attention away from the football disaster to be with Rutgers bb record at end of December being 11-3 or something like that. We don’t dance unless we win big 10 tourney or beat seton hall and hope they end in top 20 while having an abundant amount of quad 1 wins. Would have been terrific to have another p5 team and quality mid major in lieu of Caldwell and another of the patsies on the schedule.

I think the clear motivation with this schedule is to finish with a winning record. Not make the NCAA Tournament. Sad that it's come to that.
Spot on comment.After more than a decade of consecutive losing seasons,achieving a winning season must be the highest priority.The recent comments from some recruits saying they know little about Rutgers is a natural reaction to non participation in post season NCAA/NIT Tournaments.A word of caution is needed because a cup cake out of conference schedule in previous seasons resulted in some very embarrassing losses.As a long suffering fan I would be very happy with 17-18 wins because it breaks the cycle of consecutive season losing seasons and removes a negative argument used against Rutgers in recruiting.

I'm not a schedule-tard, but that OOC schedule is putrid. If we don't go 10-1, something went terribly wrong.

Is it true what everyone is saying about how well the team would need to perform to get into the tournament? Hawk, talk to me!

OOC Schedule if accurate per Carino is a disgrace. Wouldn’t shock me if Hobbs masterminded this to take attention away from the football disaster to be with Rutgers bb record at end of December being 11-3 or something like that. We don’t dance unless we win big 10 tourney or beat seton hall and hope they end in top 20 while having an abundant amount of quad 1 wins. Would have been. I e to have another p5 team and quality mid major in lieu of Caldwell and another of the patsies on the schedule.
OOC Schedule if accurate per Carino is a disgrace. Wouldn’t shock me if Hobbs masterminded this to take attention away from the football disaster to be with Rutgers bb record at end of December being 11-3 or something like that. We don’t dance unless we win big 10 tourney or beat seton hall and hope they end in top 20 while having an abundant amount of quad 1 wins. Would have been. I e to have another p5 team and quality mid major in lieu of Caldwell and another of the patsies on the schedule.
I remember that.

Spot on comment.After more than a decade of consecutive losing seasons,achieving a winning season must be the highest priority.The recent comments from some recruits saying they know little about Rutgers is a natural reaction to non participation in post season NCAA/NIT Tournaments.A word of caution is needed because a cup cake out of conference schedule in previous seasons resulted in some very embarrassing losses.As a long suffering fan I would be very happy with 17-18 wins because it breaks the cycle of consecutive season losing seasons and removes a negative argument used against Rutgers in recruiting.

That's another issue. If we are, on aggregate, 90% favorites to win each of ten games against bad opponents, then statistically the most likely outcome is 9-1 with the "-1" being a bad loss.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
I'm not a schedule-tard, but that OOC schedule is putrid. If we don't go 10-1, something went terribly wrong.

Gotta do this or 9-2 in case there may be a WTF game (like Fordham/Stony Brook) but I hope not......and since Seton Hall is home with a packed RAC, I like our chances.

The good thing is....recruits won't see who Rutgers beat...they will just see or hear about 10-1..lol

Last edited:
I’ve heard a few games fell through and few other team that we’d normally see out of conference “couldn’t make it work out”.

I think fans would be surprised at who the rest of the B1G teams play OOC. I know the fact is fans really believe OOC strength is somehow stronger than a league opponent when it isn't.

You're overall strength of schedule is going to be better playing 21 to 22 league games vs 19 or 20. Fans can look at whatever local or Big East or A-10 opponents they want and anyway you slice it, the B1G opponents for games 19 and 20 matter more.

I agree that playing Caldwell makes no sense, but if South Carolina didn't bail on the game, we would be fine. Playing at Pitt is another test against a program that's also young and improving their talent.....Pitt isn't the 1-17 or 0 18 ACC program of 2 years ago....if you read their boards, they're complaining about having to play Rutgers because we are still terrible....sports fans across the country are still without electricity and satellite technology, I guess....

Anyone want to guess what the 2 B1G games are from after Pitt and before Seton Hall??

If the schedule reads at Pitt, at Purdue, Ohio State, Seton Hall, how many of those games will RU be favored in?? 1...?? Not 2....

Pittsburgh on the road is probably a pickem type of game and Purdue and Ohio State are better or as good as Seton Hall, who is gathering a lot of hype before they've beaten out Villanova for the Big East..... It's not like the B1G is going to schedule at Northwestern and home for Penn State in early December for RU.

The goal is to get minutes and new players sorted out in the 1st 3 games before Toronto, which would have been South Carolina.

And last year's Kenpom isn't perfect as a guide, but reasonable. The only problem is Kenpom takes about 2 months too late to adjust.

Explain to me:

1 - How a team "with expectations" schedules this type of OOC sked?

2 - WTF with Caldwell?

3 - You know your OOC sked is bad when NJIT Is the 4th toughest squad (behind Seton Hall; Pitt and St Bonny).

Inexcusable. I see Hobbs' fingerprints all over this schedule to drum up interest away from the RU Football disaster that will repeat itself.

Maybe this is why Eugene transferred out as there is no way in hell this team makes the dance unless it wins the Big 10 Tourney.

What would 6-5 5-15 11-20 do to the fanbase and the progress of our basketball program?

It is great having a tough out of conference schedule until you lose the games on it.

An 11-12 win season would be a huge blow to the program. I know at some point you need to go for it. I realize this is not the schedule you make if you are a post season team. I have said this is a rebuilding year and next year may be a better target for postseason. Maybe the schedule had that theme.

Explain to me:

1 - How a team "with expectations" schedules this type of OOC sked?

2 - WTF with Caldwell?

3 - You know your OOC sked is bad when NJIT Is the 4th toughest squad (behind Seton Hall; Pitt and St Bonny).

Inexcusable. I see Hobbs' fingerprints all over this schedule to drum up interest away from the RU Football disaster that will repeat itself.

Maybe this is why Eugene transferred out as there is no way in hell this team makes the dance unless it wins the Big 10 Tourney.

Still a young team, so losing a few more OOC does no good.

Go 12-8 in the B1G and get in. As opposed to 7-4 OOC and not have any chance. Everyone wants NCAA but maybe NIT is a good step forward this year and NCAA next year.

Last edited:
What would 6-5 5-15 11-20 do to the fanbase and the progress of our basketball program?

It is great having a tough out of conference schedule until you lose the games on it.

An 11-12 win season would be a huge blow to the program. I know at some point you need to go for it. I realize this is not the schedule you make if you are a post season team. I have said this is a rebuilding year and next year may be a better target for postseason. Maybe the schedule had that theme.
The realistic goal must be a winning record this season.A easy out of conference schedule is part of the process to achieve the objective and end the embarrassment of consecutive losing seasons.A 20 game B1G schedule affords very few sure wins for Rutgers.This season should be viewed as a transition from losing to winning with the possibility of a NIT bid.

Oh my god, everyone here is so damn dramatic. A couple things to keep in mind here, one we have 20 conference games. Second, South Carolina removed us last minute. Third, we got the boot from the Gavitt games again. Not our fault. Our SOS at the end of the year will be fine.

ADVERTISEMENT