ADVERTISEMENT

OOC Schedule - Covid. Some tidbits.....

BigEastPhil

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2007
Some tidbits per Media Sources:

- Jimmy V Tourney to be played in Orlando so we ll play Baylor

- Networks want Big 10 ACC Challenge so looks like we ll play unannounced ACC opponent

- Providence Reporter tweeted Gavitt Games unlikely to be played

Just my opinion but with focus on COVID protocols etc - I expect a 20-22 conference game schedule leaving few OOC games since max games is 27 games for the season

Don’t know if Seton Hall game will be played. There’s been no chatter.

Some tidbits per Media Sources:

- Jimmy V Tourney to be played in Orlando so we ll play Baylor

- Networks want Big 10 ACC Challenge so looks like we ll play unannounced ACC opponent

- Providence Reporter tweeted Gavitt Games unlikely to be played

Just my opinion but with focus on COVID protocols etc - I expect a 20-22 conference game schedule leaving few OOC games since max games is 27 games for the season

Don’t know if Seton Hall game will be played. There’s been no chatter.

It’s only 27 games max if you play in an exempt tournament and play three games.

Basically the max is 24 games, but if you play in an exempt tournament, it can increase to 25, 26 or 27.

So I highly doubt the B1G increases to 22 games, and they might reduce to 18.

Last edited:
Our exempt tournament was supposed to have Miami (Ohio), Holy Cross and Central Connecticut. It would be nice to get to 27 if possible but I don't know if this tournament will happen or not. At least 2 of the teams are rather close. Maybe a NJ team could fill a slot there if Miami didn't want to travel. If so along with Baylor, Seton Hall and the Big-ACC Challenge would make 6 games. Our ACC game was supposed to be at RU but someone said it might be in a bubble. The Gavitt games was mentioned by someone that they might not happen this year. Our other OOC games were supposed to be Merrimack, U Mass away and New Hampshire. Hopefully we can still play 7 OOC games.

Someone said maybe December 8 or 9. I don't know if that is correct or not. Our original date at MSG was supposedly 12/8.
That someone was me but the Dec. 8 and 9 dates were for the B1G/ACC Challenge not the Jimmy V Classic.

So what do we know about the OOC schedule so far which appears to be 7 games as Jeff Goodman posted it appears Big 10 will play 20 conference games. 27 games is the max with an MTE.

- Per Goodman, MTE with Rider and FDU

-Per Dan Gardella, game against Sacred Heart

- Someone else on the board posted NJIT

- ACC Challenge

- Have to think at Seton Hall

- Another game TBD

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgHoops
So what do we know about the OOC schedule so far which appears to be 7 games as Jeff Goodman posted it appears Big 10 will play 20 conference games. 27 games is the max with an MTE.

- Per Goodman, MTE with Rider and FDU

-Per Dan Gardella, game against Sacred Heart

- Someone else on the board posted NJIT

- ACC Challenge

- Have to think at Seton Hall

- Another game TBD

Thoughts?

the last game likely the big East-big ten challenge ...

thar 7 seven games with three against power conference is plenty fine.

A 27 game schedule with 20 big ten games and 23 power 5 games is the same as last year without four more cupcakes...Is still BRUTAL.

the last game likely the big East-big ten challenge ...

thar 7 seven games with three against power conference is plenty fine.

A 27 game schedule with 20 big ten games and 23 power 5 games is the same as last year without four more cupcakes...Is still BRUTAL.
If you are referring to the Gavitt Games, I believe I read that is not happening this year. In fact I think the term used to describe the Gavitt Games was "likely dead."

IIRC, this has something to do with the Big East not doing antigen testing. I'm not 100 percent sure of that though.

If you are referring to the Gavitt Games, I believe I read that is not happening this year. In fact I think the term used to describe the Gavitt Games was "likely dead."

IIRC, this has something to do with the Big East not doing antigen testing. I'm not 100 percent sure of that though.
It appears you are correct. From media sources, it is unlikely Gavitt games will occur this year.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Any word on if fans will be allowed at the Rac this year? Or when we’ll find out either way?

Pikiell has said on various podcasts that fans will likely have to watch from TV this year.

Maybe the originally scheduled at UMASS game can still happen. Not a bad idea to have one true road game to practice the Covid restrictions prior to Big Ten Travel given the uniqueness of this season

Rothstein tweeted Gavitt games unlikely to occur. Will resume next year.

Looks like a typical RU non-conference schedule taking shape..no Jimmy V, No Gavitt means no Baylor and no Villanova and NO quality programs to replace them! Rider and Caldwell come on down...
Funny how Seton Hall can go to Florida and not quarantine afterward but RU has to..hmmmmm

Carino's Seton Hall article today made it sound rather unlikely that the RU-SHU game will happen.

Carino's Seton Hall article today made it sound rather unlikely that the RU-SHU game will happen.
Good point. Just read Carino article. Don’t understand now why we backed out of Jimmy V given Seton Hall is playing in Orlando and is exempt from quarantine and Illinois apparently replaced us. Very strange. And what looked like a killer OOC several weeks ago with Baylor;Gavitt games, Seton Hall and ACC opponents is now looking quite weak with only an ACC opponent.

Last edited:
Reactions: kcg88
Good point. Just read Carino article. Don’t understand now why we backed out of Jimmy V given Seton Hall is playing in Orlando and is exempt from quarantine and Illinois apparently replaced us. Very strange. And what looked like a killer OOC several weeks ago with Baylor;Gavitt games, Seton Hall and ACC opponents is now looking quite weak with only an ACC opponent.

Seton Hall is in a tournament, whereas we were just getting one game. From that standpoint I get it but the staff HAS to replace that Baylor game with something close to equivalent.

Let's assume Rutgers will play 26 or 27 games since they're doing the MTE.

20 Big Ten games
ACC Challenge
Rider
FDU
Sacred Heart

That gets them to 24. They need to get at least two more high-majors on there. Beating Rider, FDU, and Sacred Heart does absolutely nothing for a tournament resume. It's fine to pad out the schedule with them but only if there's quality teams mixed in. Playing a team like Baylor is all upside, no downside. Playing MAAC teams is all downside, no upside.

Not surprised. It is their turn to host the game. With no fans it is not a desirable game for them to host. I don't blame them.

I don't have any insight on the situation but SHU might play games on campus in Walsh Gymnasium. Why pay whatever rental fee they have to pay the Prudential Center for games when there might be zero fans in attendance to offset costs.

@BigEastPhil Rutgers probably determined that is wasn't a good financial decision to bring the team to Orlando for one game.

Baylor, is taking the opposite approach. Still planning to travel to Orlando for one game and still planning to travel to Connecticut for the Mohegan Sun event. Clearly Baylor has ZFG.

This decision was based on a 14 day mandatory quarantine when going to Florida. It meant losing two weeks of live games.

The quarantine would not be required as Carino pointed Out In his SHU preview article. Trip to Orlando would fall under business trip just like NY Jets and NY Giants, who are not required to quarantine after travel for games

Reactions: Russ Wood and kcg88
Not surprised. It is their turn to host the game. With no fans it is not a desirable game for them to host. I don't blame them.

I don't have any insight on the situation but SHU might play games on campus in Walsh Gymnasium. Why pay whatever rental fee they have to pay the Prudential Center for games when there might be zero fans in attendance to offset costs.

@BigEastPhil Rutgers probably determined that is wasn't a good financial decision to bring the team to Orlando for one game.

Baylor, is taking the opposite approach. Still planning to travel to Orlando for one game and still planning to travel to Connecticut for the Mohegan Sun event. Clearly Baylor has ZFG.

I have read that the Big East scheduled their opening conference games the same weekend the RU/SHU game was supposed to occur, and that it’s been difficult finding another date.

I have read that the Big East scheduled their opening conference games the same weekend the RU/SHU game was supposed to occur, and that it’s been difficult finding another date.
So many non-conference rivalry games are either not happening or in danger of not happening this season.

Somehow Florida and Florida State are still playing each other.

ADVERTISEMENT