ADVERTISEMENT

Open Practice for Season Ticket Holders - October 13

ColonelRutgers

All American
Gold Member
Dec 15, 2003
Season Ticket Holders will not be scrimmaging each other but we can watch the team practice from 10:00 to 12:00. Actually, Season Ticket Holders scrimmaging might be entertaining too but would need to have a lot of medical personnel on duty.

Last edited:
Reactions: DJK8
I will be there but WHY hasn't RU announced this officially to anyone or anywhere? One announcement is now up for individual game tickets going on sale tomorrow and it mentions the practice but nowhere is the TIME mentioned. I think RU has dropped the ball on this. We should have at least received an email on this. Otherwise there might not be that many people there. I might call RU tomorrow to verify.

Reactions: Rutgrsman
I will be there but WHY hasn't RU announced this officially to anyone or anywhere? One announcement is now up for individual game tickets going on sale tomorrow and it mentions the practice but nowhere is the TIME mentioned. I think RU has dropped the ball on this. We should have at least received an email on this. Otherwise there might not be that many people there. I might call RU tomorrow to verify.

I got the email Oct 5th:

0a6ae885012459d0c97e716e93a9f352.jpg

http://neweratickets61-t.neolane.net/nl/jsp/m.jsp?c=@EVRIy2b+ipspIHDQaUjuv1Go3EX8u1loCkWhRYIIjKs=

@MadRU - I got a call from my ticket rep the other day and asked if I needed to show anything and he led me to believe the answer is no. He said the doors open shortly before 10.

You must be a season ticket holder to attend. You must give your name & acct # as far as I can remember from last year.

Out of towners, like me, in Ohio really look forward to the comments from you guys that will attend the open practice.

PLEASE....posts your detailed comments and observations from the practice. @MadRU , @RUChoppin @higgins3 , @Greene Rice FIG
@RUonBrain and a lot more of the other regular posters here.

How could I forget @NewJerseyHawk I'm looking forward to your 500 word observations as well....lol. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:
Just got an email saying I had to register my license plate for parking for this. Don’t get me started.
Got same email - when you click link it sends to to registration page which tells you to register for women’s field hockey parking. No option that I can see for parking at RAC!!!???

Just got an email saying I had to register my license plate for parking for this. Don’t get me started.
Its kind of late to send emails regarding parking for a open practice.Who sent the email?What are fans to do if they didn't receive the email and they are season ticket holders?

Its kind of late to send emails regarding parking for a open practice.Who sent the email?What are fans to do if they didn't receive the email and they are season ticket holders?
Got it this morning at 9:30 from "Rutgers Scarlet Knights" (updates@scarletknights or something). This is the idiotic policy implemented this Fall for ALL campus events. As stated above, there is no link or any way to select anything related to Basketball. The default page is for field hockey and you'd park at the RAC for that so that's the best selection. That said, I highly doubt anyone is going to bother registering for this and if RU actually ticketed anyone (on a Saturday morning no less) there will be hell to pay.

Got it this morning at 9:30 from "Rutgers Scarlet Knights" (updates@scarletknights or something). This is the idiotic policy implemented this Fall for ALL campus events. As stated above, there is no link or any way to select anything related to Basketball. The default page is for field hockey and you'd park at the RAC for that so that's the best selection. That said, I highly doubt anyone is going to bother registering for this and if RU actually ticketed anyone (on a Saturday morning no less) there will be hell to pay.
Yup....total ineptitude.

Reactions: Local Shill

This is absolutely unbelievable. What a way to absolutely screw up a nice event for your best fans.

“Hey...R Hoops fan... you are invited to come on over to watch an open practice and see this new team of kids that you are going to root hard for this year. And be our guest to support Coach Pike and this awesome basketball coaching staff that has stayed for three years now to build something special here. Oh, and by the way, I hope you got the email the day before to register your drivers license on some stupid web page because if you don’t you could get a parking ticket. Hope you can make it!!!!”

This is dumb.

Reactions: biazza38
You people are serious fkng complainers

1) I got multiple emails for this event

2) in the detailed instructions for parking there is a note that specifically says the link will say field hockey but it's good for the open practice event

Maybe if some of you spent a little more time being less negative and crusty you wouldn't add to the negative perception of our University.

Classic NJ whining...so annoying...

You people are serious fkng complainers

1) I got multiple emails for this event

2) in the detailed instructions for parking there is a note that specifically says the link will say field hockey but it's good for the open practice event

Maybe if some of you spent a little more time being less negative and crusty you wouldn't add to the negative perception of our University.

Classic NJ whining...so annoying...
An apologist for an inept department. Defending the indefensible is more annoying.

First to cover Peter Kiss, was looking forward to seeing him, but coach said he was on the trainers table. After about an hour of practice, he came out and coach introduced him to the crowd, jokingly said he got hurt in the dance contest, not the dunk contest. Believe he said shoulder. Peter looked fine though spent the rest of practice in the stands shaking everyone's hand and talking to the crowd. Coach said this is the first practice Peter has missed, he is a durable player.

Second observation, this is Geo Baker's team, period. He talks the team listens, he is the leader of this team.

Next, the practice is high energy, the team will be in shape. A lot of up and down. Shaq Doorson seems to be running more freely also. And there is a lot of talking and it is mandatory, this team has to communicate, its being stressed every drill.

Some of the freshman are making mistakes during drills, coach Young, Coach Pikiell, and the upper classmen point out the mistakes and tell them where to be on the court on the play.

Eugene's shot looks better for sure, but do not expect him to be a stretch four. He can and will knock down an outside shot, but not expecting him to have a high percentage from the perimeter. Also, he took a charge in practice, pure Eugene.

Play of the practice was Shaq Doorson going hard to the rim for a dunk only to be met by Myles Johnson who blocked the dunk. Two big guys going at it on that play.

Jacob Young is the fastest player on the team. He will help Geo for sure. He played tough defense making Geo work during the drills. Glad to see this.

Caleb, I believe will be the best passer on the team, but if you think Issa's shot is low, Caleb's release is lower. He will have to adjust. During a drill he did pull up for a shot and appeared to have a little higher release point, will have to keep an eye on this.

They did practice foul shooting between drills, hopefully it translates to better results in games.

Now I have to say that they practiced for 2 hours yesterday, then had midknight madness, then this was a morning practice, so maybe they had tired legs, but based just on this practice I would recommend tempering expectations some. Hopefully it was just tired legs or the day after the hype of midknight madness.

Last points for now, is anyone who questions Jay Young is way off. He basically ran most of the practice and is clearly a very very good coach. Coach Pikiell has a great personality, very engaging, and obviously knows his stuff. This entire staff is impressive.

Hurt during dance contest

I believe that was a joke. I think he hurt it during the dunk contest. Coach didn't seem to think he'd be out long and that this was the first practice he's missed for treatment.

Good recap MadRU. I was impressed with the second team and young guys. They should create some competition and help push the team. There was a really good vibe with players and you can tell these are Pikiell guys for the most part. They will need time and are probably a year away from making improvement in the win loss record. For those who asked, the Kiss injury seems minor. Should be back quickly. The starters seemed to be Gio, Mathis (filling in for Kiss), Issa, Gene and Doorson. McConnell and Harper are going to play. The big man rotation should be interesting. Doorson is going to play a lot. He looks like a new man. After him, Johnson and Carter look good and Doucoure has experience but needs to keep out of foul trouble and hit shots if he want to play.

Last edited:
Reactions: bowlgoal
First to cover Peter Kiss, was looking forward to seeing him, but coach said he was on the trainers table. After about an hour of practice, he came out and coach introduced him to the crowd, jokingly said he got hurt in the dance contest, not the dunk contest. Believe he said shoulder. Peter looked fine though spent the rest of practice in the stands shaking everyone's hand and talking to the crowd. Coach said this is the first practice Peter has missed, he is a durable player.

Second observation, this is Geo Baker's team, period. He talks the team listens, he is the leader of this team.

Next, the practice is high energy, the team will be in shape. A lot of up and down. Shaq Doorson seems to be running more freely also. And there is a lot of talking and it is mandatory, this team has to communicate, its being stressed every drill.

Some of the freshman are making mistakes during drills, coach Young, Coach Pikiell, and the upper classmen point out the mistakes and tell them where to be on the court on the play.

Eugene's shot looks better for sure, but do not expect him to be a stretch four. He can and will knock down an outside shot, but not expecting him to have a high percentage from the perimeter. Also, he took a charge in practice, pure Eugene.

Play of the practice was Shaq Doorson going hard to the rim for a dunk only to be met by Myles Johnson who blocked the dunk. Two big guys going at it on that play.

Jacob Young is the fastest player on the team. He will help Geo for sure. He played tough defense making Geo work during the drills. Glad to see this.

Caleb, I believe will be the best passer on the team, but if you think Issa's shot is low, Caleb's release is lower. He will have to adjust. During a drill he did pull up for a shot and appeared to have a little higher release point, will have to keep an eye on this.

They did practice foul shooting between drills, hopefully it translates to better results in games.

Now I have to say that they practiced for 2 hours yesterday, then had midknight madness, then this was a morning practice, so maybe they had tired legs, but based just on this practice I would recommend tempering expectations some. Hopefully it was just tired legs or the day after the hype of midknight madness.

Last points for now, is anyone who questions Jay Young is way off. He basically ran most of the practice and is clearly a very very good coach. Coach Pikiell has a great personality, very engaging, and obviously knows his stuff. This entire staff is impressive.
Excellent recap of interesting practice session.I think the team will have more depth which hopefully will result in more scoring options on the court throughout the game.Coach Pikiell introduced the coaching staff and players and made comments on some former players professional futures.

ADVERTISEMENT