ADVERTISEMENT

Open practice thoughts

kcg88

Heisman Winner
Aug 11, 2017
Have to distract myself from the football disgrace...

Geo Baker's shot looked really good both in warm-ups and in the full-court drills. With a reduced burden on him to do everything I could see him leading the team in 3P%.

Conversely Ron Harper had a tough day shooting the ball. But I still think he can be in the 32-34% range.

The team seemed to have designed plays to get 3-pointers for Baker, Kiss, Yeboah, and Harper. None for Caleb McConnell which I found surprising.

Speaking of McConnell, I hardly recognized him. Part of it is the corn rows but he just looks older, stronger, and less baby-faced than last year. He also shot the ball pretty well from what I saw and also seemed to have the ball in his hands a good amount.

Yeboah has a nice looking shot as well. I suspect his playing time will be related to how good of a rebounder he can be.

Montez Mathis' shot does look slightly better but still looks like a sub-30% guy to me. He also missed a lot in the rapid-fire free throw drill they ran.

I was pleasantly surprised with Paul Mulcahy's shot. From some of what I'd read and heard I was expecting it to be pretty poor but he hit a few in a row from the corner, though there were some clunkers he threw up too. If he's willing to shoot it then we can have him on the floor even with Young or Baker as the primary ballhandler.

A lot of guys were attempting long shots with their toes on the 3-point line. Still adjusting to the new distance I suppose.

Couldn't really get any reads on the big men given that everything was run against no defense.

Jacob Young looks like the best athlete on the team. Couldn't really get a sense of his finishing or distributing skills for the same reason, no defense was being played.

Peter Kiss had some moments but the shot was still inconsistent. I think he'll play slightly fewer minutes than last year, but more than people here have speculated.

Last edited:
Yeboah was by far the best 3 point shooter.Lots of defensive drills and half court offensive plays.No scrimmage as part of practice.Tour of practice facility was a real eye opener .Barba, small forward recruit ,was at practice.

On offense a lot of work was on ball movement and player movement.

Like Caleb to take the next step up. Looks more comfortable.

Harper and Young did struggle shooting from deep today, hopefully just an off day. Both are athletic, Ron had some monster dunks. Jacob can fly, seems to be concentrating on point guard skills.

Paul seemed to be fine with the sets, made less errors the last years freshman during open practice. Might be the Spain trip got him up to speed faster.

Really liked the practice on defense, trapping full, 3/4, and 1/2 court, dropping back into zone and man both. A lot of "give me" full effort fast and move to next group. Might see a high paced team with substitutes coming in and out. Luxury of having players that can play multiple positions and have other options than Geo. A lot of interchangeable parts.

Kwasi got warmed up and started hitting from deep consistently. Kind of shoots with the ball in front of him but has been successful.

Coach Knight was working with Myles on his foul shooting form/stroke. Missed first 2, than hit 7 in a row, 7-9, ended up 8-13 first rotation. Form does look better, but results during game is to bee seen. He needs to hit 50%+.

Duke, doesn't look as thick as last year, still big but looks in better shape. Still can hit the elbow jumper, which is a good sign. Need him to be an option on the boards and give us some points.

Shaq looks way different with a low cropped haircut, almost didn't recognize him out there. Very vocal, seems like a great team mate. Hustles every play, wants to be better, you can see it in him.

Coach was entertaining as always, guy is a genuinely good guy, and all class.

Total awesome morning for me! Had breakfast, double on the bacon... Coffee was great!
Practice was awesome. Guys looked in great shape and had a rigid workout and afterwards Pike said “4:00 practice later today”. Ugh! If your a player...
The tour of the APC was really eye opening. They gave out “funky wine glasses “ (lol) for loyal STH’s which I filled up upon arriving home.
Then, to top it all off, I got my season tickets in the mail. What a great day! Go RU!

Last edited:
Our biggest strength is our versatility. It is actually incredible when you think about the size of guards / ball handlers we have on this roster. Pike made a comment along the lines of..."in the past we would go into a game and fight for our lives but now we have the depth/skill to throw the first punch".

As for my thoughts on the players, I think Caleb continues to fly under the radar with a lot of our fans. I think he can be a star here, not just a contributor. I was also very pleased with what I saw from Mulcahy. My gut tells me he is our starting PG later in the season.

The expectations are warranted. The schedule will be brutal but this is the best roster we've had in ages.

Coach was saying things to the crowd, which I am pretty sure was bigger than last year, but you couldn’t hear much because he did not have a microphone. Last year he did.

Reactions: RU_PAYBACK
Practice was about an hour fifteen with a mix of focus on offensive sets and defense. Very energetic and fast paced.

I focused on 3 players:
Mulcahy - shot comes off his hand nicely and has a high spin rate. He will be a good shooter, if not this year, then soon. Quite vocal, should be an okay defender.
Montez- his shot is pretty much the same as last year. I don’t expect much improvement from the 3.
Young - super quick, clearly working on his passing, doesn’t have elite jump shot form.

Also, Coach is great, just a people person. Early in the practice he came over to the fans to tell us that the team is working on not fouling because in the first 6 games the referees are being reviewed and call everything. By the end of the season he tells our guys to beat the other guys with a club. And he said we can’t foul at Michigan St. because Tom Izzo’s uncle refs every game there.

Practice was about an hour fifteen with a mix of focus on offensive sets and defense. Very energetic and fast paced.

I focused on 3 players:
Mulcahy - shot comes off his hand nicely and has a high spin rate. He will be a good shooter, if not this year, then soon. Quite vocal, should be an okay defender.
Montez- his shot is pretty much the same as last year. I don’t expect much improvement from the 3.
Young - super quick, clearly working on his passing, doesn’t have elite jump shot form.

Also, Coach is great, just a people person. Early in the practice he came over to the fans to tell us that the team is working on not fouling because in the first 6 games the referees are being reviewed and call everything. By the end of the season he tells our guys to beat the other guys with a club. And he said we can’t foul at Michigan St. because Tom Izzo’s uncle refs every game there.
Pikiell is a great spokesmen for Rutgers University .His sense of humor makes everyone laugh and appreciate that he is the head coach for mens basketball.

Watching the free throw shooting, if I’m Pike, I say watch Mulcahy and McConnell. They have perfect form, bend knees and perfect rotation and swish! Made 80% easily. I hope he addresses it at some point...

Reactions: jeffro5
I have no idea how well Jacob Young will shoot this year or play defense, but having watched him in a few practices the last 2 years, he is one of, if not the fastest player in the whole country.

He basically can coast and then dares any of the other players to beat him in a race and then blows right by them, effortlessly.

Best of Luck,
Groz

Watching the free throw shooting, if I’m Pike, I say watch Mulcahy and McConnell. They have perfect form, bend knees and perfect rotation and swish! Made 80% easily. I hope he addresses it at some point...
Agreed. What do I know but I thought the drill in which they shot fouls quickly led to sloppy form for several of the guys.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
Agreed. What do I know but I thought the drill in which they shot fouls quickly led to sloppy form for several of the guys.

I thought so too. I noticed that even though Mulcahy went quickly, he still took his time in some respects (e.g. setting himself before releasing the ball). He has great form and I think he'll shoot over 80% during the season.

I thought so too. I noticed that even though Mulcahy went quickly, he still took his time in some respects (e.g. setting himself before releasing the ball). He has great form and I think he'll shoot over 80% during the season.
I thought he looked solid overall.

It looked like the most athletic team I've seen in a long time here. Pike was a great host. Kiss looks to be improving. Fun season ahead. $$$$

Reactions: BillyC80
Jacob Young and his athleticism is going to be key for us. I heard about it before, but when you see it in person, it is pretty evident. He needs to be on the floor, playing his best defense when we face the elite guards like Powell, Winston, and Simpson. I like Mulcahy's potential. He had a slick no look pass during a weave drill and should do okay defensively against average guards, but I don't know if he's really ready for the elite guards.

Reactions: satnom and Scangg
I am looking forward Baker benefiting from Young. That's as long as Young is making the pass.

It’ll be interesting to see how other teams defend Young. Will they have their point guard try to cover him? If so I’m thinking he wears out the opposing PG a bit which could help us defend some teams better. Will they play more zone when he’s in there, daring us to make threes? Will be fun to see how things play out...

Reactions: ruready07
http://barttorvik.com/playerstat.php?year=2018&p=Jacob Young&t=Texas

I think people need to take a look at Young’s stats at Texas. It is possible he is the player that many are penciling him in for. I look at others on our roster that frankly have performed at a higher level that no one is talking about.

Young’s stats don’t look like he is a PG, a good shooter, or a guy getting to the line.

I am VERY happy he is here and will probably be very important. I am just not ready to put in pen anything more than an important guy giving us 15 minutes off the bench. I need to see him perform at a level that would say his 1st 2 years numbers are not indicative of the player he is now.

Reactions: Eagleton96

I think people need to take a look at Young’s stats at Texas. It is possible he is the player that many are penciling him in for. I look at others on our roster that frankly have performed at a higher level that no one is talking about.

Young’s stats don’t look like he is a PG, a good shooter, or a guy getting to the line.

I am VERY happy he is here and will probably be very important. I am just not ready to put in pen anything more than an important guy giving us 15 minutes off the bench. I need to see him perform at a level that would say his 1st 2 years numbers are not indicative of the player he is now.
Fig
How often do you change the brake pads on your car? You're always telling us to pump our brakes.:Wink:

RUDave_01 was nice enough to bring me to the open practice yesterday. What I found fascinating was how EVERY second of practice was accounted for. NO wasted time during this session what so ever. The whistle blew and EVERY player knew where to go. I know this isn't going to win more games, but the focus and the attention to detail was VERY impressive to me. To me, team seemed to play fast, loose, and very comfortable. Baker is the leader, but Jacob Young is the prankster. During some sprints, he cut in front of other players to "win" the race. He really impressed me more with his chemistry than his skill. I think Young will be a GREAT addition to the team based on personality more than talent. I'm EXCITED!!!!

I think the "hope" is that his production at Texas was due to how he was being used within that system - which is to say as a "camp behind the line shooter". He did not run the point at all at Texas, so far as I'm aware, after being a PG in high school - so it's possible that system really didn't fit his skillset very well. Coleman, Roach, and Jones handled the distribution of the ball while he was at Texas.

I think the "hope" is that his production at Texas was due to how he was being used within that system - which is to say as a "camp behind the line shooter". He did not run the point at all at Texas, so far as I'm aware, after being a PG in high school - so it's possible that system really didn't fit his skillset very well. Coleman, Roach, and Jones handled the distribution of the ball while he was at Texas.

He is also two years older.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
It’ll be interesting to see how other teams defend Young. Will they have their point guard try to cover him? If so I’m thinking he wears out the opposing PG a bit which could help us defend some teams better. Will they play more zone when he’s in there, daring us to make threes? Will be fun to see how things play out...

This team will be Rutgers best shooting team in probably the last five years I think.

When you think about how versatile we are, it really makes me believe were gonna smoke seton hall. Between being at home, our depth and all the mismatches we can throw at them, theyre in for a long day imo. We can give powell 3 different looks with young, tez and caleb. They really dont have any secondary scorers. How will they match up with us on D? Powell is too slow to keep up with young so probably mcnight on young, powell on baker who will hopefully be running around tiring him out off ball, cale on harper which I LOVE for us, mamu having either shaq or yeboah and myles vs their two trees how arent all that athletic and really not much of a threat on O.

Reactions: Scangg
When you think about how versatile we are, it really makes me believe were gonna smoke seton hall. Between being at home, our depth and all the mismatches we can throw at them, theyre in for a long day imo. We can give powell 3 different looks with young, tez and caleb. They really dont have any secondary scorers. How will they match up with us on D? Powell is too slow to keep up with young so probably mcnight on young, powell on baker who will hopefully be running around tiring him out off ball, cale on harper which I LOVE for us, mamu having either shaq or yeboah and myles vs their two trees how arent all that athletic and really not much of a threat on O.

I'm a Rutgers homer all the way, but let's not understate Powell here. I watched their game against Kentucky? last year. Dude can ball, make shots almost anywhere and is pretty damn clutch. Just having him alone, they are never out of it and he can literally carry an entire team almost on his back. Don't jinx us here. Lol.

Reactions: kcg88
One thing about Jacob Young is that he has got into a lot better shape since being here. His best wasn't given at UT. His attitude has also seemed to do a 180. He just seems like a very happy go lucky kid who wants to make his mark in this league.

The team will widely benefit if he decides to pass when he draws two. I don't foresee him shooting very high numbers from three. I do expect him to drive strong, draw two, get to the line, score in transition, and defend at an average level or above it. If he is not passing or defending, his minutes will be limited.

I believe the best 3 pt shooters will be

1. Geo Baker
2. Yeboah
3. McConnell
4. Ron Harper Jr.

Last edited:
Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
ADVERTISEMENT