ADVERTISEMENT

Opening line

I have no idea what type of team will step out on that field in Seattle, but neither does Chris Peterson and the Washington Huskies. I would gladly take Rutgers and almost three touchdowns.

Reactions: RU MAN
Points = Free Money

I don't care who the QB is, get Janarion Grant and the RB's in space and we are going to score points.

Reactions: RUinOhio
:chairshot:What a bunch of BS.
I will take that money all day long.
For crying out loud.... 20.5 pts. . .? Washington was 4-5 in the PAC last year and had to beat a mediocre Southern Miss team in a bowl to finish 7-6.

Take this Action !!!!
Totally dissing us.

Reactions: Daniel Shays
I can't understand why anyone would think that VEGAS - not us here - would set the opening line differently. There is ZERO reason for them to do so as of today. Most of us here figured 17+ so this really isn't a surprise fellas.

Don't know if Ash and the new crew will be up to the challenge of Washington's defense (especially in Game 1). Chris Petersen knows he has a solid squad and the talk out here in the Pacific Northwest (at least on the PAC 12 Network) is that he's looking to make a statement in the home opener. Seems like the spread is too high , but that's what sucker bets are all about.

I can't understand why anyone would think that VEGAS - not us here - would set the opening line differently. There is ZERO reason for them to do so as of today. Most of us here figured 17+ so this really isn't a surprise fellas.

Actually, very few of us thought 17 or more. Heck, I only recall a couple (us included). Most of this board was thinking 10 which was laughable.

And the worst part is that line is telling me go all in on Washington.

..but that's what sucker bets are all about.
Pretty much this. The only way to get even action on this game is to have a spread like this. NOBODY is betting on RU in this game without a crap load of points. And I agree with the other poster, it probably will go up from here. Even then, it smells too suckery. We have no idea what we have yet, except that we were bad last year with a bad coach. Do not touch.

Not surprised at all by that line. I expect it will come down some before the start of the season, but not by much.

Yeah, how that worked on the last 2 opening games that RU played on the West Coast ?
RU was huge underdogs against both Fresno St. and WSU in opening games.
RU was within one 2 point conversion of winning the first one in OT ( gutsy call) and won the second one.
Vegas knows squat about Opening games .

Yeah, how that worked on the last 2 opening games that RU played on the West Coast ?
RU was huge underdogs against both Fresno St. and WSU in opening games.
RU was within one 2 point conversion of winning the first one in OT ( gutsy call) and won the second one.
Vegas knows squat about Opening games .

Holy crap those are two AWFUL comparisons. 1st off neither Fresno, nor Wazzou, were ranked going into either of those seasons. Second, we were a much better team going into each of those seasons thanks to the recruiting efforts of the prior regimes. Versus Fresno State we had Coleman and Carroo, remember? Also, both of those teams had among the WORST D's in the nation. Neither of these are the case this year. That doesn't mean we can't win, however, Vegas is SPOT-ON with the current assessment (as they are more often than not).

Reactions: superfan01
Holy crap those are two AWFUL comparisons. 1st off neither Fresno, nor Wazzou, were ranked going into either of those seasons. Second, we were a much better team going into each of those seasons thanks to the recruiting efforts of the prior regimes. Versus Fresno State we had Coleman and Carroo, remember? Also, both of those teams had among the WORST D's in the nation. Neither of these are the case this year. That doesn't mean we can't win, however, Vegas is SPOT-ON with the current assessment (as they are more often than not).

Nuts is pretty spot on here. Plus he didn't even mention the fact that Peterson is a way better coach than the other 2. I'm not sure why people are getting upset over this.

Nuts is pretty spot on here. Plus he didn't even mention the fact that Peterson is a way better coach than the other 2. I'm not sure why people are getting upset over this.

Or the fact that Husky Stadium has always been considered one of the top "Home Field Advantages" in the nation.

Rutgers defense can only improve, but the reason to not bet on the UW game is simple.....the offensive system is too new and RU is not going to be able to simulate how the no huddle offense affects its own defense until you have game conditions.

Reactions: brodo
Rutgers defense can only improve, but the reason to not bet on the UW game is simple.....the offensive system is too new and RU is not going to be able to simulate how the no huddle offense affects its own defense until you have game conditions.

Our defense should improve regardless of the LB issue, however, it was one of THE words D's in the nation last year. So expect improvement, absolutely, but I'm not expecting miracles in 2016 and Game 1, with 3 new starting (highly inexperienced) LB's, not is a lot to ask.

+20.5? I got $100.00 on that. We have a coaching staff now.
I haven't bet in a long time since college actually. We used to clean up in college football the first few weeks, then slowly give it back. I might just take this one, at +20.5 way too many pts. to give this early on. Now where did I put that guy's number after all these years? Because RU's looking good in this one.

Last edited:
I've got the cajones to put down five bucks on this. Leicester money!

Well it certainly fits into the whole us against the world attitude that Ash is selling this team. It is one more thing about which they can get focused and competitive. Somehow I think this will be used as a motivational point by this staff to pile on the we don't get any respect around the country thing so this mightbe a blessing.

I think the line is a tad high. But Peterson is one of the best coaches in America and is nearly done getting all of Sark's guys out of there. Washington is a tough place to play when the fans want it to be.

Nebraska went up there in 2010 and whipped them good and many were shocked. (Granted UW finished 6-6 that year.) but I talked to fans who went up there to the game and said the atmosphere is pretty intense before kick.

I hope you guys do well, but it's going to be tough IMO. Just have an open mind in Ash's first game at RU, first time as a head coach, and it's at a P5 opponents house. It's going to be challenging. Nebraska dealt with this last year, (obviously not Mike Riley's first rodeo, but brand new school in an area he had never coached in.) Year one can suck, but it's all about players and coaches adjusting to one another.

You're crazy if you thought we would be 17+ point dogs, and most of us DO NOT think that.

Not even close. So, taking 20+ points is most definitely a surprise.

You're crazy if you thought we would be 17+ point dogs, and most of us DO NOT think that.

Not even close. So, taking 20+ points is most definitely a surprise.

Stated it several times the past 6 months to be honest. Not "crazy" at all as I, and PLENTY of others, were obviously correct and the line makes sense FROM a Vegas standpoint. You don't agree, fine, but many have been saying this for a while now Buggsy (typically in the 17-20 point range; this was my "high end"). Fully expect Iowa to be about a 15-point favorite as well (unless things drastically change in September).

Reactions: bac2therac
Keep in mind we have a profile roster now running a spread major schema change is not always pretty. InvOctober we could easily be saying we need 2-3 years to get the right players in the system.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Got A be a great place for a game. You can dock your boat, tailgate on it, then roll into the stadium, all you Microsoft execs.

Stated it several times the past 6 months to be honest. Not "crazy" at all as I, and PLENTY of others, were obviously correct and the line makes sense FROM a Vegas standpoint. You don't agree, fine, but many have been saying this for a while now Buggsy (typically in the 17-20 point range; this was my "high end"). Fully expect Iowa to be about a 15-point favorite as well (unless things drastically change in September).

Nuts, if we took a poll right now asking if thought we would be more than a 10 point underdog, the overwhelming majority would say NO.

If I knew how to post a poll I would do it. Please feel free to post one asking if Y/N are you surprised by how many points Vegas is giving us against Washington.

Just watch the results prove me right.

To say "Most of us" thought it would be in the 17 point range, is simply not accurate. I thought and think it will come WAAAAAAAY down from that....showing that this initial number is crazy.

You can say you thought that, but the vast majority of people here (I'd guess better than 90 percent) did not think that we'd be more than 10 point dogs, let alone 20.5 points.

Nuts, if we took a poll right now asking if thought we would be more than a 10 point underdog, the overwhelming majority would say NO.

If I knew how to post a poll I would do it. Please feel free to post one asking if Y/N are you surprised by how many points Vegas is giving us against Washington.

Just watch the results prove me right.

To say "Most of us" thought it would be in the 17 point range, is simply not accurate. I thought and think it will come WAAAAAAAY down from that....showing that this initial number is crazy.

You can say you thought that, but the vast majority of people here (I'd guess better than 90 percent) did not think that we'd be more than 10 point dogs, let alone 20.5 points.

First, nowhere did I say "the vast majority." I said "most" and later admitted I should have said "those of us being realistic." Second, I'm not starting a stupid poll, but if you think MOST here thought we'd be less than 10-point underdog, you're crazy. Think about this:

- we stunk last year
- they're a Top 25 team
- they're a 4 or 5 point HFA team
- it's the opener, on the west coast, on the road
- we lost the one of the best offensive weapons in the program's history
- we lost all 3 starting LB's and, along with them, virtually all experience in that group
- they have Chris Peterson coaching
- we are installing a new O and don't have a proper QB to run it

....so anybody (let along "90%") thinking "under 10 points" is wearing the rosiest scarlet-colored glasses ever lol! All good though, it is what it is, let's go out there and shock the world!

In the past I would love to take Rutgers against these large spreads, but that was when we were ultra conservative, we played slowed, so even when we were clearly the inferior team our opposition felt no need to do anything more than grind us down when they had a lead. Teams love to run up the score against teams that try to run up the score (our philosophy now) ha.

Those not understanding why we are 17+ point dog should hit me up if you need a new bookie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT