ADVERTISEMENT

OSU AD Smith and Thad Matta Press Conference at 2 PM

Doesn't he have some major back issues? I'm sure it isn't fun trying to coach if your back isn't any good.

I wonder if Sparta's and former NBA player,head coach, and assistant coach Chris Jent may take over.

Dave Revsine(sp) of BTN network says that Marta will be on the search committee for next coach but make no mistake, he got fired.

Dave Revsine(sp) of BTN network says that Marta will be on the search committee for next coach but make no mistake, he got fired.
At a elite school like Ohio State even successful coaches get fired because they fail to meet high expectations.

Reactions: scottsdaleal
A few OSU fans here at work are Very Happy he is gone....even with his successful run of 12 - Twenty win seasons. Just imagine, 13 years and 12 of them were with Twenty or more wins.

Reactions: Underdogs88
With a regular season that includes 31 games plus a conference tournament, winning 20 games isn't the success it used to be

Bigtime job------late though .

Mack and Cronin will be targets but IMO won't leave

Holtman from Butler ?

Maybe Wojo ? A Chris Collins type who recruits well and the Duke pedigree cannot hurt .

Xavier’s Chris Mack or Butler’s Chris Holtmann are my choices to replace Matta
I had read an article saying Matta probably would be retiring, then read one a few seconds later that Smith fired him

Bigtime job------late though .

Mack and Cronin will be targets but IMO won't leave

Holtman from Butler ?

Maybe Wojo ? A Chris Collins type who recruits well and the Duke pedigree cannot hurt .

If Wojo gets that job then Greg Paulus would stay on staff. I am sure that Wojo would keep the "Duke connection" on the job.

Reactions: Fzacsattac
A few OSU fans here at work are Very Happy he is gone....even with his successful run of 12 - Twenty win seasons. Just imagine, 13 years and 12 of them were with Twenty or more wins.

If RU had that type of success the RAC would have been expanded and the practice facility built long ago.

12 twenty win seasons in the last 13 ? As an RU fan I cannot fathom that level of success for us.

Saw coach Matta in the lobby of the hotel I was staying in during the second live period. I didn't know whether to say "Hi Coach how are you?" or "Hi Coach are you okay." I look at him and don't see 49 years, then again I look at Leonard Hamilton of FSU and don't see 69 years.
Leonard-Hamilton.jpg

Reactions: RUinOhio
wonder if they already know who the next coach will be (feelers, etc), otherwise why fire Matta now...

we should have these kind of "problems"--we'd be discussing whether to name the court after him if he had the same success here...

Reactions: LC-88
With a regular season that includes 31 games plus a conference tournament, winning 20 games isn't the success it used to be
But one that RU MBB hasn't obtained in quite some time.
2003-04 season to be exact.
The 20 win season before that was in the1982-83 season
Right now winning 20 would be a successful season, when you look at how many of them Rutgers had in the last 30+ years.

Reactions: Russ Wood
Saw coach Matta in the lobby of the hotel I was staying in during the second live period. I didn't know whether to say "Hi Coach how are you?" or "Hi Coach are you okay." I look at him and don't see 49 years, then again I look at Leonard Hamilton of FSU and don't see 69 years.
Leonard-Hamilton.jpg
holy crow..no kidding. some good genes there...

his health issues obviously were killing recruiting but OSU really went about this poorly. I will be surprised if they can get a name at this late date...why did they wait until June

Reactions: shields
Some said they wanted to wait until Donovan's team was eliminated in the NBA playoffs.

If they get Donovan it makes sense. If not timing is just silly and a really bad move to a coach that has been really successful.

Last edited:
If RU had that type of success the RAC would have been expanded and the practice facility built long ago.

12 twenty win seasons in the last 13 ? As an RU fan I cannot fathom that level of success for us.
Some college fans have been fortunate enough to watch winning basketball.

And, at the moment, losing to RU appears to be the death knell. Can't wait for the days when we're not a bad loss.
Unlikely, they would have fired him the next morning.

A year ago four players transferred out of the Buckeye basketball program. JaQuan Lyle quit the team in April. Recruiting is not going well. I can't think of a 2018 kid tOSU leads for. It was bad in Columbus.

Meanwhile some programs were telling recruits that Matta was dying. That’s a new level of negative recruiting.

Unlikely, they would have fired him the next morning.

A year ago four players transferred out of the Buckeye basketball program. JaQuan Lyle quit the team in April. Recruiting is not going well. I can't think of a 2018 kid tOSU leads for. It was bad in Columbus.

Meanwhile some programs were telling recruits that Matta was dying. That’s a new level of negative recruiting.

Terminal recruiting. Impressive -- new lows were getting pretty hard to set in college bball.

Calipari supposedly did that during his UMass days recruiting vs St John's.

Told a kid Louie had cancer.

Calipari supposedly did that during his UMass days recruiting vs St John's.

Told a kid Louie had cancer.
That was low and Matta was a victim of that type of recruiting.
Matta himself said someone told a recruit he was dying

Thad Matta talks about health and having recruit told he was dying

ADVERTISEMENT