ADVERTISEMENT

OSU and Iowa parents demanding answers and change of BIG decision to not play Fall FB

The B1G is getting beat up by fans and the media because they're the ONLY conference that decided to not engage in sports this fall.

Well, the only conference other than the PAC10, the Big East, the MAC, the Mountain West, the Ivy League, dozens of FBS conference leagues and hundreds of high schools that is. And most give the other 3 P5 conferences little more than a 50-50 chance of playing their entire schedule without having to cancel after dozens of players test positive by mid-season .

The guy’s been an unmitigated disaster. Nebraska talking about joining the B12, OSU, PSU and Michigan not happy. Stakeholders like idk, players weren’t included. This bum wants to use the Big 10 as a steppingstone to replace Goodell when he retires.
You're way off base. Last I checked, the students and coaches don't run the Universities, the Presidents do. The Presidents voted to postpone. Maybe the Nebraska President voted to play, but I know for a fact that PSU and OSU's presidents voted to cancel. They've stated as much publicly. If the report is true that only the presidents of Nebraska and Iowa wanted to have a season, this mass revolt you're painting is just another internet blog fantasy. Nebraska has no intention of going to be Texa$$'s bitch. Been there, done that. It's just the uncertainty that has everyone on the internet all in a twist over it. At some point, the ACC and B12 will bow to the inevitable, and Sankey has already said the SEC will not play alone.

Last edited:
So, let's say they play- do those teams follow suit of what happened in the Country where NY/NJ/CT are now the most COVID free while the states that ignored it for so long are in serious trouble?

ASSUMPTION that fits your purposes of argument.

“We are at a different level of Rutgers”

WTF does that actually mean?

“We are stupid?”

Reactions: RURM85
“We are at a different level of Rutgers”

WTF does that actually mean?

“We are stupid?”

She took 5 seconds to find on Twitter.

She's apparently hospitalized with complications stemming from cancer treatment so I swallowed my bile and moved on. Chalking it up to not being totally with it due to pain killers. At least that's how I justify saying something like that unprovoked.

Reactions: Greg2020 and RURM85
As I said all along...

If the others do end up playing this looks bad for the B1G.

But if the others don’t even start it makes the B1G look good.

We’ll see...
Just looks bad? If the other conferences like SEC and ACC are able to play and make this work during this virus, its going to be EPIC bad, hundreds of millions of dollars are riding on this play.

But with that said, I don't see how the other conferences will make this work without a bubble, you get one player from the OL or DL who is a super-spreader in a game, he could knock out a couple dozen players from both sides and the table of cards is going to come crashing down hard.

Just looks bad? If the other conferences like SEC and ACC are able to play and make this work during this virus, its going to be EPIC bad, hundreds of millions of dollars are riding on this play.

But with that said, I don't see how the other conferences will make this work without a bubble, you get one player from the OL or DL who is a super-spreader in a game, he could knock out a couple dozen players from both sides and the table of cards is going to come crashing down hard.

They’ll make it work like MLB is making it work. Like PGA is making it work. Like NASCAR is making it work.

There will be some positives. You quarantine. You test contacts. You isolate. You may have to cancel, You may have a localized outbreak. You halt teams season for a week.

Just so you know, other states did lock down like NJ and NY from March until June, very few people left their houses for months, then they slowly started to reopen. Florida for example had almost no cases until June, then the NYers started showing up and Florida finally got the virus. If you compare Florida to NJ and NY, you are 6 times more likely to die in NJ / NY if you get tested positive.

Are folks this dumb? Florida locked down before it was needed, and opened just as it needed to close. The US is a huge place...the outbreaks were always going to hit different areas at different times.

Too simple.

If the others end up playing and kids start getting sick, teams start dropping out and/or season gets canceled later, they look terrible and B1G is the smart one.

Only way B1G looks bad is If all seasons play out fairly normally and smoothly.
I’ve said both in other threads too.

This was the simple thread, so I kept it simple. ;)

Reactions: fsg2
They’ll make it work like MLB is making it work. Like PGA is making it work. Like NASCAR is making it work.

There will be some positives. You quarantine. You test contacts. You isolate. You may have to cancel, You may have a localized outbreak. You halt teams season for a week.
Big difference between football and the three sports you listed - the trenches.

Technically adults capable of making their own decisions.

"Kids" in relation to the average age on this forum.

Did your parents "let you" play sports, join clubs, party ...during college? Or did you make your own decisions?
Then why didn’t the Big Ten like the players make the decision??

At the wrong time. And opened as the outbreak was nearing them. Don't be a mouth breather and get sassy about your crap logic.

"Logic"? It's fact. Something of which you have none.

Sit down and stfu, nut job.

Technically adults capable of making their own decisions.

"Kids" in relation to the average age on this forum.

Did your parents "let you" play sports, join clubs, party ...during college? Or did you make your own decisions?

they definitely “advised me” what to do. I’d think/hope Warren would advise his kid against playing. Maybe I shouldn’t have used “let”..but still isn’t a good look for him or his son

they definitely “advised me” what to do. I’d think/hope Warren would advise his kid against playing. Maybe I shouldn’t have used “let”..but still isn’t a good look for him or his son

That's their business. It doesn't make him look bad.

"College kid takes different direction than his dad. News at 11."

Also, as has been explained, it wasn't Warren's decision, anyway.

You're trying too hard to make something out of nothing.

That's their business. It doesn't make him look bad.

"College kid takes different direction than his dad. News at 11."

Also, as has been explained, it wasn't Warren's decision, anyway.

You're trying too hard to make something out of nothing.

i don’t “try hard” to have thoughts. My thought is this doesn’t make Warren look good. I’m not the only one with this thought.

You disagree. All good.

Just so you know, other states did lock down like NJ and NY from March until June, very few people left their houses for months, then they slowly started to reopen. Florida for example had almost no cases until June, then the NYers started showing up and Florida finally got the virus. If you compare Florida to NJ and NY, you are 6 times more likely to die in NJ / NY if you get tested positive.
Link?

Looking at Worldometers totals right now, Florida ratio of deaths to cases = 0.0164 (divide deaths by total cases).

New York = 0.072

New Jersey = 0.0829

It is closer to 4.5x higher than 6x, and could go lower than that because Florida has more current cases. But it won't get to a 1 to 1 match.

Looking at Worldometers totals right now, Florida ratio of deaths to cases = 0.0164 (divide deaths by total cases).

New York = 0.072

New Jersey = 0.0829

It is closer to 4.5x higher than 6x, and could go lower than that because Florida has more current cases. But it won't get to a 1 to 1 match.

Covid-19 deaths per million population:

NJ - 1800

NY - 1691

FL - 435

As I said all along...

If the others do end up playing this looks bad for the B1G.

But if the others don’t even start it makes the B1G look good.

We’ll see...

This depends on the outcome. It will look very, very badly for the B1G if the other conferences play with only a handful of incidents. The B1G won't look bad if there are college football teams who have to cancel games because they are in quarantine. Keep in mind we are going to enter flu season in the second half of this season, which could potentially make the situation worse.

FWIW: I believe the first mistake by the B1G was trying to start the season on time. When the B1G announced they would release the revised 10-game schedule, I was anticipating they would also delay the start of the season since there were two fewer games.

This depends on the outcome. It will look very, very badly for the B1G if the other conferences play with only a handful of incidents. The B1G won't look bad if there are college football teams who have to cancel games because they are in quarantine. Keep in mind we are going to enter flu season in the second half of this season, which could potentially make the situation worse.

FWIW: I believe the first mistake by the B1G was trying to start the season on time. When the B1G announced they would release the revised 10-game schedule, I was anticipating they would also delay the start of the season since there were two fewer games.
As I mentioned earlier I said just about the same thing in other threads on the topic.

The “we’ll see” covers that.

Reactions: sherrane

New York = 0.072

New Jersey = 0.0829

NY/NJ got it first. Thankfully doctors in all states are learning from each other, and learning what works and what doesn’t work. Deaths per case will continue to decline in all states, but that is due to the date coronavirus was discovered, not which state someone lives in. I also suspect (but don’t know) that the demographics are different. More younger people caught coronavirus in Florida compared to northeastern states, and young people are less likely to die from this. So, deaths/per case is a meaningless state comparison.

Last edited:

New York = 0.072

New Jersey = 0.0829

NJ and NY got Covid first and Drs have learned so much as to how to treat the disease since then. As just one example, in the beginning NY and NJ Drs were venting patients, when over time they learned to vent as a very last treatment and to have patients lie belly down, and use certain drugs and treatments like convalescent plasma, which were very effective.

Comparing death per cases on the way that you are is completely a waste of time.

The B1G is getting beat up by fans and the media because they're the ONLY conference that decided to not engage in sports this fall.

Well, the only conference other than the PAC10, the Big East, the MAC, the Mountain West, the Ivy League, dozens of FBS conference leagues and hundreds of high schools that is. And most give the other 3 P5 conferences little more than a 50-50 chance of playing their entire schedule without having to cancel after dozens of players test positive by mid-season .
The B1G is the only conference that is relevant out of the batch you mention, so of course it is going to take most of the heat from quitting on the season. Nobody cares about the PAC 12, just check out its network ratings if you need proof of that statement.

the difference between football and those other sports is football is a contact sport.

ADVERTISEMENT