ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ‘Trash’ MetLife Stadium turf scares 49ers after Week 2 win over Jets as Week 3 date with Giants looms

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
UPDATE (8:37 p.m.): ProFootballTalkreports that “per a league source, the NFL’s field operations department will take a closer look at the (MetLife Stadium turf) situation based on the concerns raised by the 49ers."

The San Francisco 49ers' 31-13 winover the New York Jets on Sunday came at a high cost. Defensive ends Nick Bosa and Solomon Thomas left the game with suspected torn ACLs. Quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo missed the second half with a high-ankle sprain.

‘Trash’ MetLife Stadium turf scares 49ers after Week 2 win over Jets as Week 3 date with Giants looms

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/09/4...er-jets-as-week-3-date-with-giants-looms.html

Q Williams landed on Jimmy Gs ankle. Bosa got twisted by the Jets TE. Solomans injury looks like the only legit grievance

I think this has more to do with no real preseason than anything else

If the league does decide the Giants/Jets turf is really bad, Hobbs and Schiano should offer up Rutgers Stadium as a temporary site for both teams until it can be replaced/repaired. Since there are no fans at games, should be easy enough. Lots of Free national publicity each game. Live from Rutgers University...

Last edited:
Plastic is not as good as real grass for football.

When the NFL is 'really' concerned with injuries vs what the game looks like on tv, let me know.

I'm still waiting for my check from the NFL helmet concussion class action settlement...

If the league does decide the Giants/Jets turf is really bad, Hobbs and Schiano should offer up Rutgers Stadium as a temporary site for both teams until it can be replaced/repaired. Since there are no fans at games, should be easy enough. Lots of Free national publicity each game. Live from Rutgers University...
MetLife could replace their turf in 3 days

Plastic is not as good as real grass for football.

When the NFL is 'really' concerned with injuries vs what the game looks like on tv, let me know.

I'm still waiting for my check from the NFL helmet concussion class action settlement...
Not gonna argue with a guy with your history but todays turf is better than what most grass fields could offer. Maybe not the NFL with an unlimited budget but youth, HS, and most college are better off with turf.

I don't argue with budget, after the initial installation costs.

Injuries ESPECIALLY ACL there is NO question.

NOBODY got ACL injuries pre plastic.

Add in infections from bacteria MRS and you have a huge problem

See the 53 man roster and the practice squads to keep enough players able to play the scheule.

They used to say the old stadium turf in Philly was like somebody put indoor/outdoor carpet on a parking lot.
I played high school ball there’ one afternoon around 1993. It was basically concrete with indoor / outdoor carpet on top.
It legit hurt for a while. Enough that I still recall it. Plus I had rug burn and got a couple yellow jacket stings. Positively sucked

Also Met Life Stadium is the worst stadium Tax dollars could build. Perfect for this corrupt state.

It really does look like an old air conditioner on the outside. And yet, it is even uglier inside. Of all the colors in the world, they picked five different shades of gray. Anything would have been better. Don’t want to go with a Jets or Guants color, I get it. Then go with light blue, gold, yellow, aqua, teal, white, off white, orange, etc. And where is the dome so New Jersey could host Final Fours, National Football semis and championship, bowl games, year round concerts, high school playoffs in decent weather

Genius.

See the 53 man roster and the practice squads to keep enough players able to play the scheule.
Agree but bigger, stronger and faster men are twisting their bodies into tougher positions then we used to see back in the 70’s.

Reactions: Bill 86
I played high school ball there’ one afternoon around 1993. It was basically concrete with indoor / outdoor carpet on top.
It legit hurt for a while. Enough that I still recall it. Plus I had rug burn and got a couple yellow jacket stings. Positively sucked

Also Met Life Stadium is the worst stadium Tax dollars could build. Perfect for this corrupt state.

The Giants and Jets paid for MetLife Stadium. State funded road improvements.

It works both ways though.

The field that the Washington Football Team uses is absolutely abysmal for real grass.

How much of the field at Metlife gets removed and "replanted' between Jets/Giants games? Is it just the endzones or do they do the entire thing?

Agree but bigger, stronger and faster men are twisting their bodies into tougher positions then we used to see back in the 70’s.

Bigger stronger, you would think would reduce the chances of injury.

Arthur Jones who invented Nautilus machines was about making the machine put your muscles and joints into angles/positions you couldn't/wouldn't do in normal weight lifting. He believed that the last 10-15 degrees of the rep and muscle group being worked was vital to make the muscle group stronger and able to resist injuries from those 'twists'.

Joel Waldman, who owned Belmar Nautilus and later Iron City Gym, and I had a contest on who could lift the most in the Nautilus machines. He could beat me in the upper body, but I had him on the leg machines. We both could do the max on every machine, but you could 'pin' 45 lb or 100 lb plates to the stack for extra weight. The duo poly leg press/leg extension machine could literally make you puke if you were willing to work yourself that hard, or follow Joel yelling at you for those last reps.
The toe raise/calf machine literally blew up my collar bone where it enters the shoulder as I had 300lbs on the rack. Shoulder surgery the next day, by one of the Surgeons that was a member. As a result my left arm is now 1 inch shorter than my right arm.

It really does look like an old air conditioner on the outside. And yet, it is even uglier inside. Of all the colors in the world, they picked five different shades of gray. Anything would have been better. Don’t want to go with a Jets or Guants color, I get it. Then go with light blue, gold, yellow, aqua, teal, white, off white, orange, etc. And where is the dome so New Jersey could host Final Fours, National Football semis and championship, bowl games, year round concerts, high school playoffs in decent weather
Easy fix: alternate each seat with Blue and green

Reactions: HeavenUniv.
I'm not sure who would be the best or worst of those 3 teams

We have that kind of talk at Maryland, too. We have lost so many QBs and players due to ACL tears in the past decade. I don't know about MetLife turf, but in general, it seems plausible that it could be legit...

I always thought the toughest decade to play in the NFL was the 1970's and into 1980's, that was when Astroturf was at its height, even stadiums like the Orange Bowl and Candlestick Park had the fake stuff.

I just went back to 1975, 15 of the 26 NFL venues were Astroturf and it was nothing like today's turf, it was like someone said, a carpet placed over a parking lot.

Beyond the turf, there's a lot of people who feel that today's athletes continued emphasis on strength and lifting actually has an adverse effect on softer tissues like ligaments and tendons. Someone mentioned this the other day Re increase in Tommy John surgeries.

I always thought the toughest decade to play in the NFL was the 1970's and into 1980's, that was when Astroturf was at its height, even stadiums like the Orange Bowl and Candlestick Park had the fake stuff.

I just went back to 1975, 15 of the 26 NFL venues were Astroturf and it was nothing like today's turf, it was like someone said, a carpet placed over a parking lot.

Back in the seventies, my brother and I hated the look of astroturf so much, even on TV, that we would choose to watch a game on real grass even if the astroturf one was better (unless WTF was playing, which trumped playing surface).

It was great to see so many stadiums "reconvert" back to real grass (such as the ones you mentioned). From day one of field turf I have always predicted that it will also be a flash in the pan. It's not as forgiving as grass, and those little rubber pellets can't be healthy...

MetLife could replace their turf in 3 days

Interesting note was that the Turf was last replaced in 2016. Not sure how often it should be replaced, I personally like to see football played on natural grass - but will likely never happen with all the events that take place on the MetLife field.

Beyond the turf, there's a lot of people who feel that today's athletes continued emphasis on strength and lifting actually has an adverse effect on softer tissues like ligaments and tendons. Someone mentioned this the other day Re increase in Tommy John surgeries.
And on top of that this was probably how the concussion protocol went on the sidelines:

Trainer (holding up two fingers): How many fingers am I holding up?

Player: Four

Trainer: Close enough, you're cleared

Back in the seventies, my brother and I hated the look of astroturf so much, even on TV, that we would choose to watch a game on real grass even if the astroturf one was better (unless WTF was playing, which trumped playing surface).

It was great to see so many stadiums "reconvert" back to real grass (such as the ones you mentioned). From day one of field turf I have always predicted that it will also be a flash in the pan. It's not as forgiving as grass, and those little rubber pellets can't be healthy...
As a Dolphins fan I remember being in total disbelief when I found out the Orange Bowl had astroturf from 1970 to 1975 (which was about the time I became a fan), of all the worst possible places to put it.

But it had to be an advantage for Dolphins, imagine trying to stop Csonka, Kick and Morris when it must have felt like playing in a pizza oven on the field?

Reactions: dconifer
I remember marching on the turf at Giants Stadium, it was damn close to marching on pavement. And the middle of the field was higher than the sidelines.

Reactions: Knightmoves

A "huge" problem? Really

Anything is better than that old Astro turf. Lotta my buddies from school are paying the price now.

Anything is better than that old Astro turf. Lotta my buddies from school are paying the price now.
Imagine being a MLB outfielder back then playing on it? The wear and tear on the legs had to be something.

I remember marching on the turf at Giants Stadium, it was damn close to marching on pavement. And the middle of the field was higher than the sidelines.
Most football fields are crowned with the middle being higher, though some are higher on one side and drain to the other.

Last edited:
Reactions: RUnTeX and GORU2014
Imagine being a MLB outfielder back then playing on it? The wear and tear on the legs had to be something.
I can tell you practicing on it and games 6 days week was bad. Saw some pretty horrid knee injuries that’s for sure. Was basically carpet over concrete.

I can tell you practicing on it and games 6 days week was bad. Saw some pretty horrid knee injuries that’s for sure. Was basically carpet over concrete.
I remember years ago when NBC had their game of the week on Saturday afternoons they would measure the temps on the turf at Busch Stadium in St Louis and it would be over 130 degrees - no way in hell can that be good for your body.

Reactions: Knightmoves
My U16 girls soccer team played a League Championship game at Giants Stadium back in the day. Our small fast team did well on the big fast field, beating a larger, slower U19 team. No injuries reported. Not a bad field for soccer.

Or could have easily fixed up Giants Stadium. SMH

ADVERTISEMENT