ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ‘Trash’ MetLife Stadium turf scares 49ers after Week 2 win over Jets as Week 3 date with Giants looms

Anything is better than that old Astro turf. Lotta my buddies from school are paying the price now.

My hip joints are yelling at me as I type this.

My only knee surgery ?

After getting out of my car for a golf tournament and twisting.....bang......
Was commuting from NJ to KC at the time, so I had the surgery at Jersey Shore on a Sat morning and flew back to KC Sun night. Booked two FC seats side by side for the one leg.

Reactions: Caliknight
Interesting note was that the Turf was last replaced in 2016. Not sure how often it should be replaced, I personally like to see football played on natural grass - but will likely never happen with all the events that take place on the MetLife field.
HS’s and town fields are usually every 10 years. That’s how long you can insure them for. I’d think NFL would change their fields way more often.

Or could have easily fixed up Giants Stadium. SMH

This. Old giants stadium was fine. Could have figured out a way to build some new luxury boxes I guess.
I was on the giants season ticket wait list for years. Heard from the giants once the whole time while they were in the old stadium and it was to buy “away” game tickets for a giants-saints game the week after hurricane katrina. Didn’t hear from them again until they moved into the new stadium and they tried to sell me psl’s in some exclusive area . I know a lot of people that walked away from season tickets with all the PSL nonsense , which they told you was a great investment lol

Reactions: Knightmoves
This. Old giants stadium was fine. Could have figured out a way to build some new luxury boxes I guess.
I was on the giants season ticket wait list for years. Heard from the giants once the whole time while they were in the old stadium and it was to buy “away” game tickets for a giants-saints game the week after hurricane katrina. Didn’t hear from them again until they moved into the new stadium and they tried to sell me psl’s in some exclusive area . I know a lot of people that walked away from season tickets with all the PSL nonsense , which they told you was a great investment lol

We had Jets seats field level behind the East goal posts for many years. The 6 seats originally cost $25 each per game and no need to buy exhibition games. $1200 for the season before the increases began and exhibition games became required.

Once they built the new stadium they wanted $36k for the 6 psl’s and the seat price was well north of $100 per game each. That’s when I left. But many people took loans out to buy them. Terrible investment in hindsight.

It must be ten years now, but I used to go to one Jets game a year. I would wait as close to kickoff as I could and offer $5 to anybody still selling. Sometimes I would be sworn at, but I always got a ticket. Used to park for Free at business along Route 120 or the neighborhood behind the racetrack. What are they charging the past few years for parking at Jets & Giants games?

I remember marching on the turf at Giants Stadium, it was damn close to marching on pavement. And the middle of the field was higher than the sidelines.
Most football fields are crowned with the middle being higher, though some are higher on one side and drain to the other.
I believe it was ~18” from the center crown at the 50yd line all the way to the corner of the end zone for AstroTurf.

It was highly visible at Giants Stadium from our seats on the 20yd line .

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
We had Jets seats field level behind the East goal posts for many years. The 6 seats originally cost $25 each per game and no need to buy exhibition games. $1200 for the season before the increases began and exhibition games became required.

Once they built the new stadium they wanted $36k for the 6 psl’s and the seat price was well north of $100 per game each. That’s when I left. But many people took loans out to buy them. Terrible investment in hindsight.
My Dad had been going to Giants games since the Polo Grounds but didn’t get season tickets until they were at Yankee Stadium for a few years. I think he only took off for the Yale Bowl.

When the new Stadium was built the Giants asked his group if they wanted to move upstairs (because some were bailing on the PSLs) and offered front row seats. They thought about it and passed. My Dad could have footed the bill for the PSLs for the 6 seats they already had but at his age (and a little anger at the Giants for doing it) said he’d rather just have a nice TV instead.

Only time back for him was the Eric game and the MetLife people were nice enough to let him try out his old seats in the new place. He wasn’t impressed and says he doesn’t miss it at all.

My Dad had been going to Giants games since the Polo Grounds but didn’t get season tickets until they were at Yankee Stadium for a few years. I think he only took off for the Yale Bowl.

When the new Stadium was built the Giants asked his group if they wanted to move upstairs (because some were bailing on the PSLs) and offered front row seats. They thought about it and passed. My Dad could have footed the bill for the PSLs for the 6 seats they already had but at his age (and a little anger at the Giants for doing it) said he’d rather just have a nice TV instead.

Only time back for him was the Eric game and the MetLife people were nice enough to let him try out his old seats in the new place. He wasn’t impressed and says he doesn’t miss it at all.

Yep, I think a lot of people made the choice your dad did . Telling the giants and their PSL’s to go shove it. A friend of mine wound up keeping his in the upper deck at the new stadium. After a couple years, he walked away losing some $$ on it. But just said it wasn’t the same in the new stadium and the crew around him was not the people from the old stadium he built relationships with over the years . Having giants season tickets used to mean something . Now it doesn’t for a bunch of reasons: PSL’s , secondary ticket market etc . And the team being awful for years doesn’t help.

My hip joints are yelling at me as I type this.

My only knee surgery ?

After getting out of my car for a golf tournament and twisting.....bang......
Was commuting from NJ to KC at the time, so I had the surgery at Jersey Shore on a Sat morning and flew back to KC Sun night. Booked two FC seats side by side for the one leg.
I was very lucky. Ole body feels pretty good outside of my shoulder which got wrecked during a game. Many of my peers weren’t as fortunate.
All that activity and that’s how you do it?!

Yep, I think a lot of people made the choice your dad did . Telling the giants and their PSL’s to go shove it. A friend of mine wound up keeping his in the upper deck at the new stadium. After a couple years, he walked away losing some $$ on it. But just said it wasn’t the same in the new stadium and the crew around him was not the people from the old stadium he built relationships with over the years . Having giants season tickets used to mean something . Now it doesn’t for a bunch of reasons: PSL’s , secondary ticket market etc . And the team being awful for years doesn’t help.
When the seating chart was laid out for Giants Stadium they tried to make it as close to Yankee Stadium as possible. My Dad and his group were at/around the 20yd line so that’s where they ended up in Giants Stadium.

And your friend was right, it wasn’t the same. Not the same guys who were around us.

Reactions: Plum Street
a crappy grass field is no great thing to play on either---the old Union City Roosevelt Stadium "grass" (really weeds) was no fun

Reactions: RCLEO1
Lets not go crazy. We are talking totally new turf. Have to suck the rubber out and bag it, cut old turf up and pull it up, get it out of stadium, get new turf down, get it sown together, put in sand and new pellets. You ever see it done before?

Lets not go crazy. We are talking totally new turf. Have to suck the rubber out and bag it, cut old turf up and pull it up, get it out of stadium, get new turf down, get it sown together, put in sand and new pellets. You ever see it done before?

8 hours - with union breaks.

You guys who played high level sports through college and beyond, when did you start to feel your body breaking down? I still don’t know how Gordie Howe was still playing pro hockey into his fifties?

35 years old is when I had to do some stretching before I played basketball.

I happy you lived....

Those sideline markers cannibals can be angry.....
Lol. More like died from a heart attack because these companies come and go as they please. They will start a job and then disappear for 3 weeks. None of these town or school people ever think to get hard finish dates with penalties for not coming through. Then we are left with hundreds of moms screaming about their little all stars with no place to play.

Reactions: BigWill
I can remember when the only team i played with plastic was Wisconsin at Camp Randal Field. We ground our chewing gum into the plastic to get even for no water on the field. The showers had huge 'DO NOT DRINK SHOWER WATER" on the walls because the water wasn't treated.

War Memorial Stadium in Buffalo had in the HOME locker rooms, 2 x 4s nailed into the cinder block walls with rusty nails to hang you clothes on.

i visited the Cowboy locker room vs the Redskins and the cigarette smoke was so heavy that I couldn't breath and left the locker room.

My bonus check as a 4th Round pick was smaller than what some of these 'POOR' guys get fined for bad hits or uniform infractions.

If the league does decide the Giants/Jets turf is really bad, Hobbs and Schiano should offer up Rutgers Stadium as a temporary site for both teams until it can be replaced/repaired. Since there are no fans at games, should be easy enough. Lots of Free national publicity each game. Live from Rutgers University...

Not happening

Not equipped for NFL football

Interesting note was that the Turf was last replaced in 2016. Not sure how often it should be replaced, I personally like to see football played on natural grass - but will likely never happen with all the events that take place on the MetLife field.

Pittsburgh plays 2 home games in the same weekend often between Pitt and Steelers. Did so this past weekend. It can be done 16 weeks with one game per weekend. Obviously takes more to maintain and costs more.

Pittsburgh plays 2 home games in the same weekend often between Pitt and Steelers. Did so this past weekend. It can be done 16 weeks with one game per weekend. Obviously takes more to maintain and costs more.
There was a time when Heinz Field was considered the worst surface in the NFL. Maybe because of the over use by the Steelers and Pitt.

Guess that’s changed?

Years ago,I went t o the First College game to be played at the new GS stadium at the MEADOWLANDS. ru/columbia.i asked a cheerleader,who had just come up the stairs from the field,pre game,what the field felt like. His answer was "LIKE A GYM FLOOR".

For those interested and subscribe, good article on the Athletic today about turf and lower body injuries:

From the article:
There really isn’t much debate, though, at least in the medical literature, about whether or not artificial surfaces carry more risk of injury. They definitively do.

Multiple research studies, several of which were conducted by NFL team physicians, have found an increased risk of lower-body injury when playing on turf. And the numbers are overwhelming. One of those, a 2012 study led by Elliott Hershman, team physician for the New York Jets, found a 67 percent greater risk of ACL injury and 38 percent greater risk of ankle sprains on third-generation artificial surfaces, like the turf installed at MetLife Field.

More recent studies have found similar results. A review of injury information from the 2012 to 2018 NFL seasons, again by a group of NFL physicians, determined that the risk of knee, ankle and foot injuries was nearly 50 percent higher on an artificial playing surface. The findings indicate that the closer the joint is to the artificial surface, the greater the risk of injury; the ankle and knee are especially vulnerable.

For performance, you want grip. For safety, you want slip.

Because the cleat doesn’t create a divot — a piece of grass that’s separated from the ground — like it would in natural grass, the foot, ankle and knee experience much greater forces during changes in direction, with ligaments and other soft-tissue structures bearing the brunt of those traveling forces. Grass, on the other hand, releases the cleat more readily, limiting the force.

New shoe bottom design and the plastic field gripping/slip releases have increased lower leg injuries, specifically knee areas.

Most have their ankles taped and if you have a gripping shoe and a field with a high hold traction.

So something has to give and it's now the Knees.

Years ago,I went t o the First College game to be played at the new GS stadium at the MEADOWLANDS. ru/columbia.i asked a cheerleader,who had just come up the stairs from the field,pre game,what the field felt like. His answer was "LIKE A GYM FLOOR".

Rutgers played Columbia? What century was that game played? Just kidding by the way.

New shoe bottom design and the plastic field gripping/slip releases have increased lower leg injuries, specifically knee areas.

Most have their ankles taped and if you have a gripping shoe and a field with a high hold traction.

So something has to give and it's now the Knees.

...yet everyone wants to blame the turf...

Didn't the NFL--and reps from the Player's Association--inspect the field earlier this week and pronounce it good?
Agreed it is not a great looking place, though stadiums don't look that great when devoid of fans.

The Giants and Jets paid for MetLife Stadium. State funded road improvements.
Wrong! The fans of the jets and giants are paying for it through inflated ticket prices, PSL, merch, alcohol, parking.
BTW what is the status of PSL’s is that still a thing? Do they still charge those?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT