ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 10 Year Wedding Anniversary - August 3 Nighter

gmay8

Senior
Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Hi guys, I know there have been other threads on this topic so sorry for starting a new one. I figure this board is always good for random advice from weather, to bitcoin, to who the next coach should be, and what trips people should take.... in a honda accord of course.

Wife and I married 10 years in early August. We desperately are in need of a getaway, especially with all the covid lockdown stuff we've been dealing with. We have 2 young kids, who we've seen too much of lately, so want to ditch them at grandmas and go away for a few nights... most likely a 3 nighter is the max.

Any ideas? A few qualifications:
Drive, or short flight ideal. Nothing too far.
Most likely just 3 nights, also prefer a hotel/resort to an AirBNB or rental (could be swayed on this if you have differing opinions)
Planning on an early August time frame, so I realize the summer prices come into play
I consider us beach people, so beach or nice pool a must for some relaxation

Some options we've considered:
Montauk - Gurney's hotel, real nice, real expensive, never been to Montauk but think I'd like the scene
Nantucket - White elephant hotel, real nice, also expensive, and travel to Nantucket seems a bit long and annoying, I've only been to Nantucket once 20 years ago
Nantucket - Nantucket Hotel, similar to above
Bermuda - Hamilton Princess or one of those, I've been here for work, never been for a vacation, short flight
Charleston - We both really want to go to Charleston, have never been and heard great things, easy flight, but concerned August might be soupy and humid and uncomfortable (any hotel recs?)
Bolton's Landing Sagamore Hotel - Lake George, driveable, heard it's really nice, looks nice and easy to get to, might be very family oriented when we're trying to ditch kids

From the above... have any of you guys been to these places and have any input?
Any other recommendations or places or hotels I may have missed?

Before anyone mentions the Jersey Shore, we live here, in Monmouth County and have both been going to LBI since we were kids, also went to AC for our 5 year wedding anniversary so wanted something a little away from here.

Thanks guys.... BEAT INDIANA!

Hi guys, I know there have been other threads on this topic so sorry for starting a new one. I figure this board is always good for random advice from weather, to bitcoin, to who the next coach should be, and what trips people should take.... in a honda accord of course.

Wife and I married 10 years in early August. We desperately are in need of a getaway, especially with all the covid lockdown stuff we've been dealing with. We have 2 young kids, who we've seen too much of lately, so want to ditch them at grandmas and go away for a few nights... most likely a 3 nighter is the max.

Most likely just 3 nights, also prefer a hotel/resort to an AirBNB or rental (could be swayed on this if you have differing opinions)
Planning on an early August time frame, so I realize the summer prices come into play

Montauk - Gurney's hotel, real nice, real expensive, never been to Montauk but think I'd like the scene
Nantucket - White elephant hotel, real nice, also expensive, and travel to Nantucket seems a bit long and annoying, I've only been to Nantucket once 20 years ago
Bermuda - Hamilton Princess or one of those, I've been here for work, never been for a vacation, short flight
Charleston - We both really want to go to Charleston, have never been and heard great things, easy flight, but concerned August might be soupy and humid and uncomfortable (any hotel recs?)
Bolton's Landing Sagamore Hotel - Lake George, driveable, heard it's really nice, looks nice and easy to get to, might be very family oriented when we're trying to ditch kids

Before anyone mentions the Jersey Shore, we live here, in Monmouth County and have both been going to LBI since we were kids, also went to AC for our 5 year wedding anniversary so wanted something a little away from here.

Saratoga/Lake George or Annapolis

Reactions: newell138
Ocean city, Maryland .
Lots of beaches . It’s a big family spot but you can make it work without the kids and hit the nice restaurants and bars .
If you can make it a 4 nighter you can opt for a adults only resort in DR or bahamas. Short enough flights.

Ocean city, Maryland .
Lots of beaches . It’s a big family spot but you can make it work without the kids and hit the nice restaurants and bars .
If you can make it a 4 nighter you can opt for a adults only resort in DR or bahamas. Short enough flights.
Great place but if you are going and coming back Thursday-Monday traffic is a nightmare.

Reactions: Plum Street
Any Hotel recs for Martha's Vineyard?

Also, any concerns about Charleston in August?

Charleston all depends on your tolerance for heat & humidity. Personally I’d stay way the hell away from it in August, but if you’re one of those people who actually enjoys that misery, go for it!

Martha's Vineyard instead of Nantucket
Challenge is getting a space on the car ferry, need to plan well ahead.

Yes, MV is a cool place. I'd look into some bed and breakfast places on MV. Also consider Block Island. It's kind of a mini version of MV.

I am where you’re from too and have family on the East End. We visit them every Summer and I really enjoy it. It's very different to what we're used to around here.

Gurney’s is very nice especially if you plan on just parking it there for the length of your stay. But if you want to move about maybe consider the North Fork instead because of the traffic. Only the one main road, Montauk Highway in and out and it can be tough the whole summer.

Some North Fork options are Greenport and Mattituck. Cute little villages that won’t be too crazy in August as their high season is more towards the Fall.

Another link for Mattituck if the NYT (althought the article is very good - try and read it) one doesn’t work...

Last edited:

Saratoga/Lake George or Annapolis

The Inn at Saratoga - If the track is open this year make your reservations early. Lot of history and a quaint downtown. Decent NYS public golf course 5 minutes away.

The Sagamore - Lake George - Will get spillover reservations if the track is open. Bonus - very nice golf course. BEAUTIFUL scenery.

Reactions: WhiteBus
We did the whole family reunion thing at woodloch about 5 years ago. It was a blast. Not so sure it would be get for a couple's getaway though....

Of the list I’d do Bermuda but you’re approaching hurricane season (I went in the month of January - do early August at the latest if you choose). Was at Gurney’s 2 years back (OK, but overpriced as you mentioned - drive is awful to boot). Charleston would be better in February like when I did it. I also did MV but it was October and most stuff was closed - ferry thing definitely something to keep in mind with a vehicle.

Congrats to you and your wife on 10 years.

If you're talking only a 3 or 4 night stay, I wouldn't advise flying anywhere. My suggestion is to drive to the Hamptons if you've never been there before. Just be aware there aren't many "pure resorts" in the Hamptons let alone any with a beach except for Gurnsey in Montauk. Four nights at Gurnsey will run you around $3,700 in early August. That's a lot of money for a place to sleep plus getting out to Montauk most likely will be a driving nightmare with the traffic on Rt27.

If you do opt to make the south shore of the east end your destination, stay in Southampton. You wont have to drive as far and its a 25 minute commute to East Hampton and/or Sag Harbor for sight seeing and dining. You're wife will love those towns and you will likely run into a few celebs walking the streets. Southampton has a lot of over priced places to stay but I would suggest the Hampton Hamlet Inn. Not a fancy place but not bad either. Four nights there will run you only around $470 which is a huge bargain by Hampton standards. Coopers beach is just 5 minutes away ($50 to park) and it has all the amenities you would find at most public beaches.

I make Southampton my home for most of the summer so if you have questions please ask.

Last edited:
Reactions: gmay8
My suggestion is to drive to the Hamptons if you've never been there before. Just be aware there aren't many "pure resorts" in the Hamptons let alone any with a beach except for Gurnsey in Montauk. Four nights at Gurnsey will run you around $3,700 in early August. That's a lot of money for a place to sleep plus getting out to Montauk most likely will be a driving nightmare with the traffic on Rt27.

If you do opt to make the south shore of the east end your destination, stay in Southampton. You wont have to drive as far and its a 25 minute commute to East Hampton and/or Sag Harbor for sight seeing and dining. Southampton has a lot of over priced places to stay but I would suggest the Hampton Hamlet Inn. Not a fancy place but not bad either. Four nights there will run you only around $470 which is a bargain by Hampton standards. Coopers beach is just 5 minutes away ($50 to park) and it has all the amenities you would find at most public beaches. I'm in Southampton most of the summer so if you have questions don't hesitate to ask.
It’s why I suggested some of the places on the North Fork for the reasons you mentioned.

And it’s just a little different too.

Congrats on 10yrs of marriage!!

You sound like you had my situation 2yrs ago for our 10th(September) with 2 kids living in Monmouth county(Colts neck)

we had less restrictions so we went to Cabo.

we just went to Newport RI last august and stayed at the BRenton Hotel. I would recommend that if you have never been. We went with our kids but we could have had a great time without them.

My wife and I were at The Sagamore in September for our 30th. BEAUTIFUL! Highly recommend it. You will not be disappointed.

Reactions: mdk01
I was going to mention Lake Placid. I like it better than Lake George

IF you own a Tux and you want to dress for Dinner this is THE place.

Another place is Aurora, NY, the Aurora Inn, it's the home factory town of MacKenzie Childs so you can shop there as well.

Mohonk mountain house is pretty relaxing. It does not have a huge lake beach but lots of places to chill or be active. Not cheap, but includes meals. We went there a few times before kids. Not too far away.

ADVERTISEMENT