ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 12/16/20 Snowstorm Thread: First Significant Winter Storm of the Season - Major Snow/Sleet/Rain

Significant shift north with the snowfall in today's 12Z models, with the Euro, UK, and CMC all showing "significant" snowfall (4-8" or so) for much of the Philly-NJ-NYC region, but not all as this system will have borderline cold air (unlike the Dec snowfall, where there was plenty of cold air, at least inland of the coast), so rain will be very possible for some, but a complete whiff is absolutely quite possible still (GFS shows that). We're still 5.5 days out and it would be nice to see at least two runs in a row with a decent snowfall before starting a thread, IMO - so if tonight's models continue to show the snow, I'll start a thread. Fair? :>)
This thing was dead until YOU bumped it! LOL

You got your multi page threads (which I know you love 😉) on all the COVID-19 stuff.

Keep the weather threads to a single event, whether it be a storm or a game forecast. Pretty please. 😊

Last edited:
Reactions: koleszar
YXDz3tC.jpg

Ok my heart just dropped for a moment. I have a huge concrete pour tomorrow that we've been setting up for days. Come to this board and was like "WHAT IN THE HELL YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME". Didn't even read the date saw First Significant Snow Storm(last one was kind of sad) and freaked out. This thread must die, if for nothing else than to save me from a heart attack this winter.

I agree with this as well. I think, in the past, it was clear a majority of folks preferred multiple threads with new threads for each new weather event.
I being the most important one doing the asking. 😎

The post by @koleszar above is a perfect reason @RU848789 why this practice needs to be discontinued.

Even worse when taking a peek on your phone.

LOVE the service you provide @RU848789 and will defend you always, just hate your chosen format.

That's funny. What website/web-app allows the easy creation of cartoons that way?

I mean, you kinda even almost got the hair right, kinda, sorta. But you need to make #'s avatar a lot taller.
DazzlingPeriodicGnatcatcher-size_restricted.gif

That's funny. What website/web-app allows the easy creation of cartoons that way?

I mean, you kinda even almost got the hair right, kinda, sorta. But you need to make #'s avatar a lot taller.
And wearing just a t-shirt.

Reactions: mildone
#s is roughly 6'2 or 6'3 is all I'm saying. The cartoon avatar is like 5'5.

A funny @RU848789 story...

I host an annual Halloween party (RU#s DJs it) for a largish group of close friends, of which RU#s is one. There's usually a different suggested theme for the party (e.g. "zombies").

Anyway, a few years back, someone hatched the idea for theme revolving around having a bunch of us dress up as RU#s. We got a bunch of wild-haired blonde wigs, faded pink button down shirts worn open with some RU t-shirt or another underneath, and other RU#s-esque attire, and people made costumes based on his many varied hobbies and interests (RU sports, weather, work, and so on). All without him knowing about it.

He always shows up early to get the whole DJ thing set up and all. As people started showing up wearing their various RU#s costumes, it finally dawned on him what was going on. Was hilarious when he figured it out.

Reactions: RU848789

I host an annual Halloween party (RU#s DJs it) for a largish group of close friends, of which RU#s is one. There's usually a different suggested theme for the party (e.g. "zombies").

Anyway, a few years back, someone hatched the idea for theme revolving around having a bunch of us dress up as RU#s. We got a bunch of wild-haired blonde wigs, faded pink button down shirts worn open with some RU t-shirt or another underneath, and other RU#s-esque attire, and people made costumes based on his many varied hobbies and interests (RU sports, weather, work, and so on). All without him knowing about it.

He always shows up early to get the whole DJ thing set up and all. As people started showing up wearing their various RU#s costumes, it finally dawned on him what was going on. Was hilarious when he figured it out.
So #'s is short? Not surprised, definitely little man complex. :)

Selfish reasons by OP

We ho thru this every season
Seriously? You and a few others are one of the main reasons I don't start weather threads earlier, as you guys often give me crap for starting any weather threads more than 5 days out (incliuding gameday threads). Plus, I don't want to start a thread 6-7 days out several times a winter and have most of them become non-issues, as that kind of seems like a waste of everyone's time.

That's why I usually wait until about 5 days out for starting a storm thread, like I just did (this one was a day earlier, given the unusual model consensus that far out). It's a lot less likely to be a whiff at 5 days than 7 days. It's why I've thought the weather board approach of having one thread for patterns and long-term (over 5 days out typically) threats and individual storm threads within 5 days would work best.

Just because I might think one thread is best per winter or per season for gameday forecasts (along with editing the thread title as needed) doesn't mean I do it that way, since most people seem to like separate threads. I could easily be selfish and just do the one thread and change the thread title for each storm/game, but I don't, so I'm not seeing the selfishness.

That was a helluva fun party and an awesome idea to give it a hilarious twist. The first friend who showed up was Big Joe, but I just thought the blonde wig and pink shirt was just some goofy Halloween thing for him - if he had had had the goalie gloves on, I might've guessed.

I don't think it dawned on me that you guys were all goofing on different versions of me (the poker, golf, and snow versions didn't do it, lol) until the other Joe showed up with the RU848789 tag on his back, lol.

And the funny thing is I was going to just wear a t-shirt that night, but put the pink shirt over it just before I left, since I like having a shirt pocket when I'm DJ-ing (for a small flashlight).

So #'s is short? Not surprised, definitely little man complex. :)

6'2" is only short next to a 6'8" mutant like you, lol. I still think I would've dunked over you, though... 😎

If you look at video, you'll see that JFK delivered his inauguration speech hatless, which was very unusual in those days when most men wore hats. Presumably, this was part of showing "vigah." Robert Frost tried to read a poem he wrote in honor of the occasion, but the snow prevented him from doing that, and so he read a poem by him that he had memorized.
So when we were discussing the Poet Laureate of 1961 I never thought one of the many highlights of yesterday's inauguration would be a young, relatively unknown poet who would absolutely just nail it!

That was a helluva fun party and an awesome idea to give it a hilarious twist. The first friend who showed up was Big Joe, but I just thought the blonde wig and pink shirt was just some goofy Halloween thing for him - if he had had had the goalie gloves on, I might've guessed.

I don't think it dawned on me that you guys were all goofing on different versions of me (the poker, golf, and snow versions didn't do it, lol) until the other Joe showed up with the RU848789 tag on his back, lol.

And the funny thing is I was going to just wear a t-shirt that night, but put the pink shirt over it just before I left, since I like having a shirt pocket when I'm DJ-ing (for a small flashlight).

6'2" is only short next to a 6'8" mutant like you, lol. I still think I would've dunked over you, though... 😎
I can still dunk.....but I now need to warm up for 30 mins so I don't pulled anything!

We really need to move on from all of this current moving on .
We already have...

It was tall Joe’s idea, or Ag’s, I think, to do the #s costumes. The other Joe’s soccer #s costume was a bit abstract and I remember you looking at him like WTF is up with the blonde wig. But Adam showing with dozen post-it notes stuck all over him took the prize for best #s costume that night, I think. It was a fun night.

Moving on... (it’s become fashionable to say that now) 😀

We already have...

Sorry I moved away from the computer and didn't realize the push to move on was complete .

sounds like a blast

BOOM! A new classic post. #'s has a very strange fetish with snow.
I picture him eating ground beef in an igloo he built as he types in the Covid threads at 355am. Jammies inside out like a grade school child wishing for a snow day. Afterward he does a quick snow angel and heads inside.

Kidding kidding kidding ...🙂🙂🙂🙂

Last edited:
I hope we get an invite next yr after they've all been vaccinated!🥳
You, Jm, have a perpetual invitation. You can even bring your significant other (if you must 😉). Just so long as he doesn't overreact to any mildly illegal activities involving sheep or whatever. 🙂

True story. Some of my friends actually brought me a life-sized inflatable talking sheep love doll one year. She called me a "baaaaaaad boy". LOL.

Alas, years later, after one of my parties, I discovered her deflated in a corner. Apparently, some unfeeling lout(s) failed to treat her with the love and respect she deserved.

• Haha
Reactions: Jm0513
You, Jm, have a perpetual invitation. You can even bring your significant other (if you must 😉). Just so long as he doesn't overreact to any mildly illegal activities involving sheep or whatever. 🙂

True story. Some of my friends actually brought me a life-sized inflatable talking sheep love doll one year. She called me a "baaaaaaad boy". LOL.

Alas, years later, after one of my parties, I discovered her deflated in a corner. Apparently, some unfeeling lout(s) failed to treat her with the love and respect she deserved.
That was also a fun party. But I think you're misremembering the ending. You were pretty hammered and the sheep love doll couldn't resist your advances, but afterwards, you essentially crushed her to death accidentally. We have video which I could post here if you like. :>)

I picture him eating ground beef in an igloo he built as he types in the Covid threads at 355am. Jammies inside out like a grade school child wishing for a snow day. Afterward he does a quick snow angel and heads inside.

Kidding kidding kidding ...🙂🙂🙂🙂
That's pretty damn close, lol. I always do a snow angel or two near the end of the storm, usually after shoveling, and if the snow packs nicely I also make a snowman. And if the storm is overnight, I never sleep for more than an hour or two, as I have to make hourly measurements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT