ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 130 Degrees: Death Valley Sees What Could Be Record Heat

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
The temperature at Death Valley National Park hit a scorching 130 degrees on Sunday, marking what could be the hottest temperature on Earth since at least 1913, the National Weather Service says. Any visitors to the park are getting blunt advice: "Travel prepared to survive."

The 130 degrees recorded at the Furnace Creek Visitor Center is the hottest August temperature ever recorded at the national park, which sits along California and Nevada's border. Weather experts say it could also be the world's modern-era high, because Death Valley's 1913 record of 134 degrees has been disputed as unreliable.

More Here:
https://www.npr.org/2020/08/17/903192396/130-degrees-death-valley-sees-what-could-be-record-heat

I've been to Death Valley--but it was in January at the tail end of a winter storm. Only a fool visits in the summer.

Intense heat wave in California. What's been crazy has been the thunder and lightning storms - really rare in these parts. Besides breaking Earth's all time record high temp, there was also a fire tornado the other day.

The forecast highs in Death Valley have been between 115 to 126 the past few weeks including 130 once; in other words summer. The average high now is 116.

the original world record of 136 in Libya was rescinded for the 134 in DV. Now they want to question the 134 to fit another narrative. Interestingly enough the 134 is accepted by the WMO and NOAA (unless they are pressure to call it into question...again to fit a narrative)

DV is hot for a very specific set geographic reasons...latitude, depth below sea level (282 feet) and large scale subsidence; TA-da!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: RUScrew85
Meteorologists seek to confirm 130-degree Death Valley temp, believed to be highest on Earth in over a century

DEATH VALLEY NATIONAL PARK, Calif. — An automated measuring system in California’s Death Valley reported a temperature of 130 degrees amid a blistering heat wave on Sunday, a reading that would be among the highest ever recorded globally if it is confirmed.

https://fox4kc.com/news/meteorologi...eved-to-be-highest-on-earth-in-over-a-century

"The temperature at Death Valley National Park ... could be the hottest temperature on Earth since at least 1913"

So looooooooong ago....

That temperature is deemed wrong since in all the surrounding areas were 8 degrees hotter than normal death valley was 18 degrees hotter than normal

So I’m guessing that Bac is vacationing there now? He loves a good heatwave.

"The temperature at Death Valley National Park ... could be the hottest temperature on Earth since at least 1913"

So looooooooong ago....
Yep - in 1913 the temperature reached 134 and actually surpassed 132 three other times during that same week -

I guess they had global warming over 100 years ago.

Reactions: rurx1228
Sorry but it really annoys me when people say this.

It is the highest in "recorded history" - about 100 years.
Not "ever".

Earth is over 4.5 billion years old.

https://www.climate.gov/news-features/climate-qa/whats-hottest-earths-ever-been
You are so right - People driven by emotion (Climate Change) always fall for agenda driven news - makes them feel smart.

Just a few weeks ago we had a rain storm that the media was calling a cyclone. Then on q the usual suspects came out with the climate change calls.

I read it earlier in a newspaper article. Can't remember which one. Paper was on Google news

At what temperature do we humans start to roast? BTW, while the Sam Juaquen(sp) valley may have only been in the 100s or 110s, I bet those laborers who get paid by the bushel were working.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Yep - in 1913 the temperature reached 134 and actually surpassed 132 three other times during that same week -

I guess they had global warming over 100 years ago.

I wonder how many people realize Manhattan was under two miles of ice just a few thousand years ago? 10,500 feet of ice - Empire State Building would have been a toy lost in an ice stack. A secret is that many people think temperature was static. The dumb hockey stick worked off of that. It was presented as showing temps were the same for around a thousand years and then "bang" global warming (scuse me "climate change).

https://www.hiddenhydrology.org/ice-age-new-york/

I drove thru Death Valley last year in September and it was about 110 degrees or so.

When you drive thru Death Valley, you pray your car doesn't overheat or get a flat.

I wonder how many people realize Manhattan was under two miles of ice just a few thousand years ago? 10,500 feet of ice - Empire State Building would have been a toy lost in an ice stack. A secret is that many people think temperature was static. The dumb hockey stick worked off of that. It was presented as showing temps were the same for around a thousand years and then "bang" global warming (scuse me "climate change).

https://www.hiddenhydrology.org/ice-age-new-york/
You just have to stop presenting facts - it confuses some people and they will start calling you names - lol. Glad you posted that - I use this fact all the time. The ice was so deep the top of bear mountain has pressure lines from the glacier passing over it. Many people today think the last 30 years is a long time ago.

Last edited:
Above normal temperatures are not just occurring in the western states, but also across much of Alaska! Alaskans are expecting temperatures to soar into the 60s and 70s this afternoon.

118073420_3343757722334457_4133412543345726320_o.jpg

Reactions: rurx1228
We spent 4-5 days in Death Valley several years ago. It was in September and still hot as hell but nowhere near 130. Really interesting place. And Furnace Creek is aptly named.

No one disputes that the earth is warming. It has been since the last ice age.
What is disputed is whether it's being driven by human activities, and what, if anything, we can or should do about it.

You got most of it right. I have one minor correction.

We have been in an interglacial period of relatively stable climate for about 10,000 years. We had some "minor" fluctuations such as the "Little Ice Age, but nothing dramatic.

Before that there were a series of ice ages alternating with calmer interglacial climate periods.

Since we have been in this interglacial period for a long period of time, a handful of climatologists speculated on the possibility of a new ice age in the 70's by looking at climate trends - hence the stupid claims by deniers that climatologists don't know what they are talking about. Science requires peer review and supporting experiments , and it quickly became apparent they were mistaken.

The VAST majority of researchers did not hold this view to begin with, and in fact a small group was predicting "global warming" due to buildup of carbon dioxide levels as early as the mid-50's.

Dramatic and possibly irreversible changes in climate are occurring right now, and the change in carbon dioxide levels correlates well with those changes. The overwhelming majority of scientific research projects have statistically support the importance of this interaction

The vast majority of changes predicted by scientists as consequences of this phenomenon are occurring - and in fact are occurring far more rapidly than scientists had predicted - not surprising because science is by nature conservative in its predictions due to the fact that every hypothesis is subject to extensive peer review and confirmation experimentation.

I can't imagine any of the deniers have read this far, as they are not interested in facts, but would rather go with their "gut"

It is likely we passed the "tipping" point during the first decade of the century, so it is going to be extremely difficult to deal with so many negative consequences - rising sea levels, more intense weather events, and mass extinctions. For instance, once you replace the reflective power of ice with the absorbing power of darker water, it just accelerates the trends. It is similar with the melting of permafrost releasing significant amounts of even more powerful greenhouse gases into the air.

Knowing the make-up of this board, the deniers are going to quickly be throwing stones my way. Sad that your children and grandchildren will look back and wonder why.

Over the last 100 years, humans have taken trillions of tons of carbon out of the Earth and put it into the atmosphere and oceans. This is the dumbest experiment ever conducted.

Been in the low 100s here in Wenatchee, Wa. They are starting at 2:30 AM picking cherries with lunch break at 7:00. Damn those illegal immigrants.

A little levity, this reminds me of the 90's movie with Selma Hayek, Fools Rush In. There is a line in the movie about the 🏜 heat. Simply said, " the white people are melting", 😆.

• Haha
Reactions: tico brown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT