ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1950 Baseball Question: Tossing the ball to the player who made 3rd out

NealPageNJ

All Conference
Gold Member
Nov 28, 2019
I’m watching a replay of Laren’s perfect game against the Dodgers. I am noticing that whenever the 3rd out is made the player then tosses the ball to the player on the team who made the 3rd out. For example a Dodger struck out for the 3rd out and Yogi tossed the ball to the Dodger player. The Dodger causally caught the ball and made his was to the dugout. Any insight to why this was? Today, this certainly would be taken as disrespect and start a fight.

@zappaa

I remember in the late 60s and 70s the first baseman after the third out tossing the ball to the pitchers mound. Back then they didn't throw balls out of play just because it the ground.
I have the same memories. Maybe during this period in time it was tossed to the player on the other team who handed the ball to their pitcher in the dugout?

I remember in the late 60s and 70s the first baseman after the third out tossing the ball to the pitchers mound. Back then they didn't throw balls out of play just because it the ground.
They still do, or they give it to the umpire.

I’m watching a replay of Laren’s perfect game against the Dodgers. I am noticing that whenever the 3rd out is made the player then tosses the ball to the player on the team who made the 3rd out. For example a Dodger struck out for the 3rd out and Yogi tossed the ball to the Dodger player. The Dodger causally caught the ball and made his was to the dugout. Any insight to why this was? Today, this certainly would be taken as disrespect and start a fight.

@zappaa
I had no idea they did that.
I’m going to look at some footage now.
Couldn’t really find any, I’ve seriously never heard of it unless the pitcher was the hitter….I’ve seen the catcher toss the ball to the opposing pitcher if he struck out to end the inning Neil.

Last edited:
Reactions: NiTeKnight
I had no idea they did that.
I’m going to look at some footage now.
Couldn’t really find any, I’ve seriously never heard of it unless the pitcher was the hitter….I’ve seen the catcher toss the ball to the opposing pitcher if he struck out to end the inning Neil.

Thanks. Now I’m wondering if I thought I was seeing something that I didn’t. Maybe they were flipping the ball to the ump and the black and white footage confused me.

They still do, or they give it to the umpire.
No today the ball is thrown in the stands, it's a dead ball. Outfield, infield doesn't matter. A ball put in play isn't put back in play

No today the ball is thrown in the stands, it's a dead ball. Outfield, infield doesn't matter. A ball put in play isn't put back in play
You’re saying when the first baseman makes a 3rd out put out, he always tosses the ball into the stands ?
You’re also saying when a simple force out at first is made and the ball gets thrown around the horn…. The ball is thrown out.
I doubt it

I read/heard somewhere that a typical MLB game goes through 110 balls a game.

You’re saying when the first baseman makes a 3rd out put out, he always tosses the ball into the stands ?
You’re also saying when a simple force out at first is made and the ball gets thrown around the horn…. The ball is thrown out.
I doubt it
Not always in the stands but it's taken out of play. Watch when a pitcher throws one in the dirt. It's taken out of play. They thought pitchers are scuffing the ball on purpose. They go through a ton of baseballs in a game compared to the 60s and 70s.

Last edited:
I doubt it
Who always throws the ball in the stands? ~~~~

MO

Not always in the stands but it's taken out of play. Watch when a pitcher throws one in the dirt. It's taken out of play. They thought pitchers are scuffing the ball on purpose. They go through a ton of baseballs in a game compared to the 60s and 70s.

I recall when I was a kid, 25ish years ago, the dads in our group playing some type of game that involved putting dollar bills in a cup, and if the ball stayed on the mound after the third out someone would get the dollars in the cup, if it rolled off the pot kept growing. Something like that.

Not sure that would work today. Lots of balls tossed into the crowd.

I recall when I was a kid, 25ish years ago, the dads in our group playing some type of game that involved putting dollar bills in a cup, and if the ball stayed on the mound after the third out someone would get the dollars in the cup, if it rolled off the pot kept growing. Something like that.

Not sure that would work today. Lots of balls tossed into the crowd.
I'm pretty sure the pitcher gets a new ball to start every inning. Next live game I'm at I'll check. Hard to tell watching TV.
Love the gambling aspect lol!
We play a similar money game. Everyone puts a quarter in the cup. The cup is in front of someone. If a player gets a hit the person gets the money in the cup. Otherwise everyone adds another quarter and the cup moves onto the next person. It must be a hit. Walks. Fielders choice. Reaching on a error etc are not winners, anti up and pass the cup. A lot of fun.

I'm pretty sure the pitcher gets a new ball to start every inning. Next live game I'm at I'll check. Hard to tell watching TV.
Love the gambling aspect lol!
We play a similar money game. Everyone puts a quarter in the cup. The cup is in front of someone. If a player gets a hit the person gets the money in the cup. Otherwise everyone adds another quarter and the cup moves onto the next person. It must be a hit. Walks. Fielders choice. Reaching on a error etc are not winners, anti up and pass the cup. A lot of fun.

Yeah, what you’re saying sounds right today. I think it used to be that the ball matriculated back to the umpire who would look it over and then dispose of it or roll it to the mound (prompting results in the game described above). I’ll have to try the quarters game.

Edit— though it may be that the umpire rolls the new ball out to the mound for the pitcher rather than handing it to the catcher…so maybe the game still works

I remember when they came back from the strike in 1995, after the entire post season the year before had been cancelled, players were instructed to throw balls to the fans whenever possible in a feeble attempt to say I'm sorry for ruining last season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT