ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 1965 WS Game 7 featuring Sandy Koufax

The truth why all this stuff was in black and white:

07e0199b9ccc36436de3b1d38e8f045d.jpg
l

Just finished watching the whole game. I'm a "get off my lawn" type of guy but this broadcast is nearly 55 years old with Vin Scully and Ray Scott doing the play by play. Let me tell you some things I didn't see (hear) that I didn't miss in no particular order:
1. The third or fourth guy in the booth. Scott and Scully did the broadcast alone and very rarely did one talk while the other did the play by play.You were able to watch the game without idiotic banter.
2.The dugout reporters.
3.The reporters in the stands.
4. The endless crowd shots of nervous and/or jubilant fans. Matter of fact I don't think there was one shot of individuals in the crowd all day.
5.The half dozen replays of routine ground balls that your Little League shortstop could make.
6.All replays, all the time. There was only one point that I wish they showed a replay but didn't.
7. The K-zone
8. Launch angle.
9. Exit velocity.
10. Catch probability
11. Endless and meaningless stats and graphics (Oliva is a .500 hitter lifetime versus Koufax 1 for 2). Never once did I wonder what Willie Davis' splits were for day vs. night games.
12. Throwing out of play a baseball that happened to touch the ground.
13. Bat flips
14. Walk up music
15. Sixth inning set up man.
16. Seventh Inning set up man
17. Eighth inning set up man.
18. Closer
19. Batters wearing body armor.
20. Infield shifts
21. Pitch counts.
22. Video reviews.

I know these days are gone forever but it was great just to watch a baseball game without all the analytics, video game extras and over analysis of every play.
Hard to appreciate the greatness of Koufax. This was the second game in a row he was pitching on two days rest in the WS, his third game in 8 days where he pitched 24 out of a possible 26 innings of which the last 18 were shutout with 20 strikeouts. Think about that. Back to back complete game shut outs in the World Series both on two days rest.
During the last four years of his career his record was 97-27!!!!!
Did anyone in history have a four year stretch like that?

Your self-awareness is excellent. You are a “get off my lawn” guy! ;). Having said that I agree with all of the above except bat flips and walk-up music. Gotta modernize a little bit at least.

The anxious, nail biting fan shots are as bad as the endless shots of Coach K during Duke games. During the World Series I’m constantly yelling “Show the F***ing game!”

Reactions: colbert17
Just finished watching the whole game. I'm a "get off my lawn" type of guy but this broadcast is nearly 55 years old with Vin Scully and Ray Scott doing the play by play. Let me tell you some things I didn't see (hear) that I didn't miss in no particular order:
1. The third or fourth guy in the booth. Scott and Scully did the broadcast alone and very rarely did one talk while the other did the play by play.You were able to watch the game without idiotic banter.
2.The dugout reporters.
4. The endless crowd shots of nervous and/or jubilant fans. Matter of fact I don't think there was one shot of individuals in the crowd all day.
5.The half dozen replays of routine ground balls that your Little League shortstop could make.
6.All replays, all the time. There was only one point that I wish they showed a replay but didn't.
7. The K-zone
8. Launch angle.
9. Exit velocity.
10. Catch probability
11. Endless and meaningless stats and graphics (Oliva is a .500 hitter lifetime versus Koufax 1 for 2). Never once did I wonder what Willie Davis' splits were for day vs. night games.
13. Bat flips
14. Walk up music
18. Closer
20. Infield shifts
21. Pitch counts.
22. Video reviews.

I know these days are gone forever but it was great just to watch a baseball game without all the analytics, video game extras and over analysis of every play.
Hard to appreciate the greatness of Koufax. This was the second game in a row he was pitching on two days rest in the WS, his third game in 8 days where he pitched 24 out of a possible 26 innings of which the last 18 were shutout with 20 strikeouts. Think about that. Back to back complete game shut outs in the World Series both on two days rest.
Best post ever. Launch angle and exit velocity make me want to puke.

The game started a little after 3 PM.I was able to get home in time from my last period US History class.

Jim Gilliam is almost totally forgotten today,but he had some good seasons,one of them in 1956 when one metric rated him as the NL's best player,a tad above Aaron and Mays.

Last edited:
2.The dugout reporters.
7. The K-zone
8. Launch angle.
9. Exit velocity.
10. Catch probability
13. Bat flips
14. Walk up music
18. Closer
20. Infield shifts
21. Pitch counts.
22. Video reviews.

Great job...."unbelievable" and "bottom line" you didn't have "to step up" to do it.

Hope many of the sports clichés are in permanent isolation!

MO

During the telecast they had about 3 or 4 audio clips about what the players thought about a 7th game which they would play during an at bat.
At one point Johnny Roseboro steps to the plate and Scott says "Here's John Roseboro let's hear what he has to say about today's game."
After about 10 seconds of dead air Scott comes back and says, "Well I guess he has nothing to say."
Priceless

Reactions: Plum Street
Back in those days there was no national broadcast team for the WS. I remember a few years later Curt Gowdy and Tony Kubek did the games but they always had one announcer from each team doing the broadcast which is why Scully and Scott (a Twins announcer) were doing the game. In the days before the internet and cable you would be able to get some extra info and tidbits on each team from the home announcer.

Everybody here knows Scully but for those who are too young to have heard Ray Scott here's a good article about him.

https://www.sportsbroadcastjournal....s-minimalist-helped-reshape-announcers-roles/

During the telecast they had about 3 or 4 audio clips about what the players thought about a 7th game which they would play during an at bat.
At one point Johnny Roseboro steps to the plate and Scott says "Here's John Roseboro let's hear what he has to say about today's game."
After about 10 seconds of dead air Scott comes back and says, "Well I guess he has nothing to say."
Priceless

Did you notice that Billy Martin was the 3rd base coach of the Twins?

MO:)

Did you notice that Billy Martin was the 3rd base coach of the Twins?

MO:)

I did see that he had a little disagreement with the umpires about Sandy's move to first.
For additional local flavor the Dodgers first base coach was Danny Ozark who won 3 consecutive division championships with the Phillies in the 70s. But more importantly the Dodgers third base coach was Preston Gomez who went on to become the first manager of.....the San Diego Padres. :Wink:

Preston Gomez did something in 1970 that at the time was unthinkable when he removed his pitcher,Clay Kirby,for a pinch hitter in the bottom of the eighth in a game vs the Mets in San Diego when he was working on a no-hitter because the Padres trailed 1-0.

Sure enough,the Mets got some hits off of Jack Baldschun,scoring 2 more to lead 3-0.

To this day,no Padre pitcher has pitched a no-hitter.

I was pissed off because I stayed up late for this one with work the next day.Sure,I was only 20 but I wasn't out doing something enjoyable.

Preston Gomez did something in 1970 that at the time was unthinkable when he removed his pitcher,Clay Kirby,for a pinch hitter in the bottom of the eighth in a game vs the Mets in San Diego when he was working on a no-hitter because the Padres trailed 1-0.

Sure enough,the Mets got some hits off of Jack Baldschun,scoring 2 more to lead 3-0.

To this day,no Padre pitcher has pitched a no-hitter.

I was pissed off because I stayed up late for this one with work the next day.Sure,I was only 20 but I wasn't out doing something enjoyable.

You are correct sir!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT