ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

I would make that Rosario trade as well. Thor not even close to being in the discussion with me.
Agree , you don’t trade top pitching period . Too valuable. Brodie Van Winkle better not trade Thor !

On a related topic, Baseball America released its 2019 ranking of organizational farm systems. No bueno. Mets ranked 27th of 30. Reasons include:
  • No can't miss prospects. Top 10 is high risk, high reward.
  • Not much on the immediate horizon. Much of the talent is years away.
  • Very little righthanded starting pitching - and this was before the Dunn trade!

I wouldn't sign Realmuto at all...not worth a Syndergaard.
I wouldn't want him for Noah...but Met's might be making decision that they want to sign only 2 of the big 3 pitchers.
When I look at this rumor...just rumor mind you...I don't think Mets are getting any value for the caliber of pitcher of Noah.
I know, I know...an all star catcher...but the way I remember, Mets didn't give up anywhere near a Syndergaard caliber player for an all star Piazza..
Realmuto isn't a player like Piazza was.

Reactions: OldManRiver
From SNY Metsblog:

The Phillies "don't have enough" to trade for Realmuto, a source told NBC Sports' Jim Salisbury.

Ken Rosenthal said on MLB Network that he believes the Mets will get Realmuto.

"It sounds to me, trying to sift through this, that the Mets are the team," he said "They are pushing this the hardest, they want him the most, and they're going to find a way to get him."

I did not realize that Realmuto is only a one time all star. Mets should not be giving up this much for a guy who has had 1-2 good years. Definitely don't give up Thor, Rosario, Conforto or Nimmo.

Reactions: tico brown
BVW has a man crush for realmuto. I still think Rosario and Nimmo is too much to give up. What about Gimenez and other prospects?

Reactions: shields
Per Matthew Cerrone of SNY Metsblog: Miami wants two major Leaguers making rookie minimum, which would have to be Nimmo and Rosario. Mets will offer one. Talks seem to be at an impasse and Mets appear ready to move on. Of course that could all change in an instant.

To put it in perspective, the Marlins are reportedly asking the Braves for Albies, and the Dodgers for Bellinger. Both have politely declined. At least I assume they were polite.

Last edited:
Reactions: redking
I absolutely love Thor, but I would not hesitate to trade him for the right package if the centerpiece is a young stud hitter (someone like Tatis Jr).

Every time Thor winds up, I'm worried about Tommy John. He's too bulked up, and he throws crazy hard.

I like the Cubs / Astros / BoSox model of young stud hitters paired w/ veteran pitchers. My Mets seem to prefer young pitchers and Jurassic, injury prone hitters.

Per Matthew Cerrone of SNY Metsblog: Miami wants two major Leaguers making rookie minimum, which would have to be Nimmo and Rosario. Mets will offer one. Talks seem to be at an impasse and Mets appear ready to move on. Of course that could all change in an instant.

Say no to this trade

BVW should say no and then re-visit the trade in a couple of months when the price has dropped.

Nimmo and Rosario ? Who are they ?
Why would Miami want a .250 hitting shortstop and a .260 hitting left fielder, neither with any power ?
The word "mediocre" comes to mind.

Nothing in the article states that the Mets are interested in Familia. Just that he, as well as others, are on the market. The only reliever that is specifically cited as having attracted Met interest is Andrew Miller.

That said, multiple teams will no doubt show interest in Familia. Why wouldn't the Mets be among them?
I guess BVW was interested after all.:cry::flushed:

Nimmo and Rosario ? Who are they ?
Why would Miami want a .250 hitting shortstop and a .260 hitting left fielder, neither with any power ?
The word "mediocre" comes to mind.
Both of them would get 400 AB's on the Yankees. Nimmo is already better than Gardner who got 530 AB's and is on par with Hicks,so what would you consider Gardner and Hicks? As far as Rosario, the Yankees would if available, jump all over getting him.

Last edited:
I still blame HIM for blowing the 2015 World Series
And your blame would be misplaced. If you want to blame him for the late HR in Game 1, OK. But Game 4 is on Murphy and Game 5 is on Collins, and to a lesser extent Duda.

Reactions: redking
Thanks
I still blame HIM for blowing the 2015 World Series
Why is he back? Mets need lefty reliever a la miller and if they needed another righty i believe Joe Kelly signed for less than familia. Would rather have Kelly. We know what familia brings or doesn't.

Thanks

Why is he back? Mets need lefty reliever a la miller and if they needed another righty i believe Joe Kelly signed for less than familia. Would rather have Kelly. We know what familia brings or doesn't.
Why would you rather have Kelly? Familia's career body of work is far better than Kelly's. Familia's ERA (which I know is not the perfect metric for relievers) is a full run better. His WHIP, K/9 ratio, and K/BB ratio are better also. Familia's HR/9 ratio, a key stat for relievers, is only HALF that of Kelly. Plus Familia has closing experience if needed, which Kelly does not.

There is a reason Familia commanded more money than Kelly. Familia is just plain better.

Agree Mets still need the lefty and I assume they will get one. Let's reserve judgment on that until the dealing's done.

usa-today-8874108.0.jpg

And your blame would be misplaced. If you want to blame him for the late HR in Game 1, OK. But Game 4 is on Murphy and Game 5 is on Collins, and to a lesser extent Duda.

Yep - dreaded quick pitch in G1 is the extent of the Familia blame in 2015 WS.

Familia's best case= He's lights out as the setup man, a contending teams closer goes down,and the Mets trade him for some decent players. Worst case= He blows several of deGrom's leads and deGrom asks to be traded rather than suffer through this for the next 3 years,lol

Familia's best case= He's lights out as the setup man, AND IS A KEY COMPONENT OF A CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM FOR YEARS TO COME. Worst case= He blows several of deGrom's leads and deGrom asks to be traded rather than suffer through this for the next 3 years,lol
Isn't this what you meant to say?[winking]

Both of them would get 400 AB's on the Yankees. Nimmo is already better than Gardner who got 530 AB's and is on par with Hicks,so what would you consider Gardner and Hicks? As far as Rosario, the Yankees would if available, jump all over getting him.
You're kidding, right ?
Where would the Yanks play Rosario ?
Gardner's near the end of his career, can play center field, and is still a better hitter than Nimmo...especiallyt as a lead-off hitter.
My earlier characterization of both of those Mets guys you seem to value so much is on the money.

Why would you rather have Kelly? Familia's career body of work is far better than Kelly's. Familia's ERA (which I know is not the perfect metric for relievers) is a full run better. His WHIP, K/9 ratio, and K/BB ratio are better also. Familia's HR/9 ratio, a key stat for relievers, is only HALF that of Kelly. Plus Familia has closing experience if needed, which Kelly does not.

There is a reason Familia commanded more money than Kelly. Familia is just plain better.

Agree Mets still need the lefty and I assume they will get one. Let's reserve judgment on that until the dealing's done.
Familia to me equates to Armando 2.0. Too many negative feelings with Familia and you don't bring back negativity to the club when it's retooling. I'm talking on field results. Kelly can throw hard and has more upside. Or the money would have been better served getting Miller. I'm not high on ottavino.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Even as a die-hard, I've found the Mets fan to be way too overly critical of the Mets closer over the years. In regards to Armando, grant him the strike 3 looking on O'Neill he should have gotten in B9 in G1 of 2000, and maybe fans would be less hard on him. As for Familia, he was a main variable to being 3 wins away from the WS ring in 2015 - blame the Coupons if anything for failing to do something better than Clippard to pitch the 8th.

Familia to me equates to Armando 2.0. Too many negative feelings with Familia and you don't bring back negativity to the club when it's retooling. I'm talking on field results. Kelly can throw hard and has more upside. Or the money would have been better served getting Miller. I'm not high on ottavino.
+1
Resigning Familia = [roll]
So now he can blow games before Diaz gets to pitch. Great job!

Sounds like < $10M/year move on any remaining RP pickups they might make.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT