ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

In other Mets news, the team did NOT make qualifying offers (1 year, $17 Mill) to any of their six free agents: Blevins, Jackson, Lobaton, Mesoraco, Ramos, and Reyes. They are all free to go elsewhere.

One prominent observer expressed approval of the decision:
EGfX.gif
Disappointed no offer for Reyes.

Reactions: Knight Shift
Sign Machado, trade Rosario and whatever we call a catcher for Realmuto.

Hey I can dream can't I?

Hey I can dream can't I?
If the Wilpons are willing to spend Machado money (which I doubt), I'd rather it be spent on multiple players not named Machado.

It will take more than Rosario/Plawecki (or whomever) to bring back Realmuto. Probably have to throw in a Justin Dunn or a David Peterson. If the Mets want Realmuto, they'll have to outbid a whole bunch of teams with stronger farm systems than theirs.

Reactions: tico brown
The organizational shakeup has begun! Pat Roessler OUT as hitting coach, Ricky Bones OUT as bullpen coach. More moves may be forthcoming.

More changes:
  • Gary DiSarcina goes from bench coach to third base coach
  • Glenn Sherlock goes from third base coach to first base coach
  • Former first base coach Ruben Amaro Jr. gets kicked upstairs to become a special adviser to Van Wagenen. Excellent decision by Van Wagenen IMO, as he will benefit from the experience of a former GM.
So we have three key vacancies: hitting coach, bullpen coach, and bench coach.

Eiland will be back as pitching coach.

Hey I can dream can't I?
If the Wilpons are willing to spend Machado money (which I doubt), I'd rather it be spent on multiple players not named Machado.

It will take more than Rosario/Plawecki (or whomever) to bring back Realmuto. Probably have to throw in a Justin Dunn or a David Peterson. If the Mets want Realmuto, they'll have to outbid a whole bunch of teams with stronger farm systems than theirs.[/
].
Just go after Wilson Ramos for catcher. Has gone on record that he would love to work with the Mets staff

Last edited:
The organizational shakeup has begun! Pat Roessler OUT as hitting coach, Ricky Bones OUT as bullpen coach. More moves may be forthcoming.

On an unrelated note, Jacob deGrom was named a Cy Young finalist, along with Scherzer and Nola. No surprises there.
Long overdue moves......love it so far by Jerry McGuire......

More changes:
  • Gary DiSarcina goes from bench coach to third base coach
  • Glenn Sherlock goes from third base coach to first base coach
  • Former first base coach Ruben Amaro Jr. gets kicked upstairs to become a special adviser to Van Wagenen. Excellent decision by Van Wagenen IMO, as he will benefit from the experience of a former GM.
So we have three key vacancies: hitting coach, bullpen coach, and bench coach.

Eiland will be back as pitching coach.
Love it again...

Calloway will have a very experienced Bench Coach next year for sure....

Good moves with Sherlock and Amaro.......nothing lost..

Love Bro"s coaching moves to date....he is on the ball!

Good. Some people were on the Mets thread defending Reyes until August/Sept though so who the heck knows.
C'mon man, it had to be sarcasm. Even if you were to find a Mets fan who wants Reyes back, there is not a person on God's green earth who would suggest bringing Reyes back at $17 mill!

That's why Captain Obvious approved the decision to non-tender.

C'mon man, it had to be sarcasm. Even if you were to find a Mets fan who wants Reyes back, there is not a person on God's green earth who would suggest bringing Reyes back at $17 mill!

That's why Captain Obvious approved the decision to non-tender.

Yes on the tender but I took it as some people still want him back for bench even on minimum deal!

Yes on the tender but I took it as some people still want him back for bench even on minimum deal!
I'm guessing he'll wind up on somebody's bench as 25th man on minimum salary. I think we can all agree we don't want it to be ours!

Reactions: Zak57
I don't know much about the 3 headed GM from last year except for Omar M. And I really hope he will stay on and build our farm system starting with the Hispanic players. He has so much respect down there and really has an eye for talent.
As for the team...A lot will depend on a few moving parts. Does Frazier and Bruce stay healthy and both go 25+ HR? Is McNeil the real deal? Does Rosario/Comforto continue to play like they did the 2nd half. If these things happen, then we really don't need a big hitter at C but a guy that can really work the pitch staff, find a 1st baseman and get RP's.

Oh my God, BVW can't be serious about considering bringing back Familia,lol.https://www.mlb.com/mets/news/mets-interested-in-andrew-miller/c-300371096
Nothing in the article states that the Mets are interested in Familia. Just that he, as well as others, are on the market. The only reliever that is specifically cited as having attracted Met interest is Andrew Miller.

That said, multiple teams will no doubt show interest in Familia. Why wouldn't the Mets be among them?

Reactions: rubaseball78

Hey I can dream can't I?
Current reports are that the Mets chances of acquiring Realmuto are pretty much nil. Realmuto is going to command somebody's top prospects (plural). The Marlins simply aren't all that interested in the Mets prospects.

Reactions: cicero grimes
So now they're looking at Maldonado a 32 year old with a lifetime .220 batting average. Yippee.

Some news updates as we await tomorrow's deGrom Cy Young announcement:

1) Jim Riggleman comes in tomorrow to interview for the bench coach position. Hope it gets done.

2) Mets are reportedly negotiating with the insurance company on a buyout of Wright's policy. They want to get it done by November 20 so that they can remove Wright from the 40-man prior to the Rule 5 draft. The insurance company will issue the Mets a lumpsum payment, Wright will formally retire, and the Mets will pay Wright his full salary for the next two years. The last part scares me. The Wilpons will likely include Wright's salary in their payroll calculus, despite the fact that they would have been pre-imbursed (is that a word?) for a good chunk of it.

3) Speaking of deGrom, an interesting quote from Van Wageren: "I've remained steadfast there that I think he's tremendous and would love to try to keep him if it's possible. We'll explore that in the coming weeks." Looks like GM BVW and Agent BVW are on the same page - we hope.

Watching you tube of the dope Michael Wilbon and how Jacob did not deserve it. Idiot. From like July of this year.

Last edited:
Now they need to do the smart thing and kick off a full rebuild by trading him and Syndergaard. No depth of talent at either the big-league or minor-league level. Either rebuild or be the Orioles in two years.

Now they need to do the smart thing and kick off a full rebuild by trading him and Syndergaard. No depth of talent at either the big-league or minor-league level. Either rebuild or be the Orioles in two years.
You don't need depth as much as you think. Most teams don't have or call up more than one or 2 big league players in any year.The Mets have that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT