ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2018-19 NY Mets Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Hopefully feels like a dope

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-john-maffei-staff.html

And @JIMSOULS it's too early to trade DeGrom and Thor. With Wheeler coming into his own in the 2nd half of last year you have 1, 1a, 1b quality starting pitching as your top 3 and Matz is better than other team's 4. Get some bullpen arms, one or two bats and this team is a serious contender. Just need the Wilpons to spend some cash while the window of opportunity is still there.

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-john-maffei-staff.html

And @JIMSOULS it's too early to trade DeGrom and Thor. With Wheeler coming into his own in the 2nd half of last year you have 1, 1a, 1b quality starting pitching as your top 3 and Matz is better than other team's 4. Get some bullpen arms, one or two bats and this team is a serious contender. Just need the Wilpons to spend some cash while the window of opportunity is still there.

Not sure why a couple of the usual Met and Yankee pissing match guys feel the need at this point to do any pissing....
But anyway- agree with redking here...I don't even understand at this point why some people like fatso on wfan are talking like trading NS is almost a sure thing. Lock these two guys up and get a couple of position players. And I would rather them be the Bradley type rather than a Harper type kind of player. We really need some players who play some situational type of play with some speed and defense.
And bullpen guys are a dime a dozen- we just need to go out and get a couple of them and a closer.

Congrats to deGrom and cool to see that almost everyone loves him winning the award and understand just how amazing of a season he had. And to be honest, to be that consistently dominate when you have a team behind you that you know is going to let you down more often then not, makes it even more amazing. He never had momentum on his side. The mental aspect of this season may have been the most impressive thing

Not sure why a couple of the usual Met and Yankee pissing match guys feel the need at this point to do any pissing....
But anyway- agree with redking here...I don't even understand at this point why some people like fatso on wfan are talking like trading NS is almost a sure thing. Lock these two guys up and get a couple of position players. And I would rather them be the Bradley type rather than a Harper type kind of player. We really need some players who play some situational type of play with some speed and defense.
And bullpen guys are a dime a dozen- we just need to go out and get a couple of them and a closer.

Congrats to deGrom and cool to see that almost everyone loves him winning the award and understand just how amazing of a season he had. And to be honest, to be that consistently dominate when you have a team behind you that you know is going to let you down more often then not, makes it even more amazing. He never had momentum on his side. The mental aspect of this season may have been the most impressive thing
I didn't start it,lol.

Serious rumors of a Noah trade forming. I’m a pitching and defense guy, so would prefer to hang on, and for the Coupons to spend $ on some bats and the bullpen.

Going to be an interesting couple months with the new GM...

Serious rumors of a Noah trade forming. I’m a pitching and defense guy, so would prefer to hang on, and for the Coupons to spend $ on some bats and the bullpen.

Going to be an interesting couple months with the new GM...
I would be shocked if deGrom, Syndergaard, and Wheeler are with the Mets in 2019.

Had a window with this pitching staff, but tossed away due to injuries and ineptitude
You left out cheapness. A real big market team would have spent more and had more depth and a better overall team.

I would be shocked if deGrom, Syndergaard, and Wheeler are with the Mets in 2019.
I think "shocked" is too strong, but I would not be surprised if one of them is gone. They are all going to need to get paid, and the Wilpons won't pay them all.

In related news, Josh Lewin announced that he will not be returning as Howie Rose's radio sidekick. Unclear as to whose decision that was.

I think "shocked" is too strong, but I would not be surprised if one of them is gone. They are all going to need to get paid, and the Wilpons won't pay them all.
From listening to Dunce Jeff Wilpon yesterday, it appears Brodie will listen to offers for Noah and they'd have to be overwhelmed to trade him. I for one hope they keep both Jacob and Noah and do what it takes to shore up the offense and the bullpen

Mets elect not to protect any rookies on the 40 man prior to the Rule 5 draft. Probably no big deal as none of their prime prospects are due to be protected yet. That changes next year when Alonso, Gimenez, and Dunn must be protected, among others. Roster still stands at 38, including Wright.

Rumors rampant about various Thor trades. BVW insists that if something happens, it will be to help Mets win now. We shall see.

Riggleman will help a lot. Anyone have any word on Ces and how the recovery is going?

Id pick up Ronald Torreyes asap as a IF utility player.
May not be that easy. Torreyes was DFA'd. Yanks still control him for a week I think and can trade him. I suspect there will be other bidders.

Hypothetically, would you take him over TJ Rivera? I don't think you could roster both.

In a perfect world, id take TJ. But
-Is he coming back from injury?
-is he still in Mets plans?

In a perfect world, id take TJ. But
-Is he coming back from injury?
-is he still in Mets plans?
TJ had TJ surgery in 2017. He was supposed to come back in July. But he had a setback while on a rehab assignment, and that was it for the year. So who knows. He is still on the 40-man, so I guess he is still in the team's plans.

TJ had TJ surgery in 2017. He was supposed to come back in July. But he had a setback while on a rehab assignment, and that was it for the year. So who knows. He is still on the 40-man, so I guess he is still in the team's plans.
David Wright is still on their 40 man roster as well.

Mets today hired Adam Guttridge to the newly-created position of "Assistant General Manager of Systematic Development" (i.e., analytics).

I'm liking BVW more and more. He recognizes where additional organizational expertise is needed, and he goes out and gets it.

In other news, Mets are reportedly in serious talks with Seattle about Robinson Cano, who is owed $120 million over five years. Lot of obstacles in the way though:
  • The Mets are highly unlikely to take on the full $120M.
  • If Seattle is expected to eat a good chunk of the $120M, they're going to want the Mets to kick in one or more top prospects.
  • Mets would hope to unload Jay Bruce in the trade, but Bruce has a limited no-trade contract and Seattle is not on his approved list.
Probably a longshot, and just as well IMO.

In other news, Mets are reportedly in serious talks with Seattle about Robinson Cano, who is owed $120 million over five years. Lot of obstacles in the way though:
  • The Mets are highly unlikely to take on the full $120M.
  • If Seattle is expected to eat a good chunk of the $120M, they're going to want the Mets to kick in one or more top prospects.
  • Mets would hope to unload Jay Bruce in the trade, but Bruce has a limited no-trade contract and Seattle is not on his approved list.
Probably a longshot, and just as well IMO.
Seattle is not on his No-Trade list. That report was not accurate.

I’d do it. Bruce is done and Smith is a bust so it’s Gimenez for the three of them.

Just so we're all clear - there is no reason to believe that the above trade is actually being discussed (although we do know that the Mets and Mariners are talking about something). It is clearly labeled as a MOCK trade. The reporter made it up for purposes of discussion. Just don't want people to get hopes up.

EDIT: And the reporter omitted what is probably the stickiest negotiating point - how much of Cano's salary do the Mets assume. Obviously, the more salary they take, the better baseball trade they can make. But taking on $120M salary doesn't seem to be the Wilpons' style. We shall see.

Would love Diaz.

Do this in a Heart Beat !!
Fills the Closer opening with one of the best in the A.L.,..
Bruce is replaceable & Cano can bring some offense, problem is 5 years left on his deal, where's he gonna play at 40-41??

ADVERTISEMENT