ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Yankees Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

OK I'll start. Fire Boone! I don't need a Manager all the players love. I need a Manager who can manage.

Edit: Get rid of Stanton and Mayben (sp) and don't expect a repeat from Urchella. German needs to be in the starting rotation and Happ to the pen.

Here's my offseason roster primer.....
  • Hicks getting Tommy John surgery - will be out until mid next year
  • Sanchez is likely staying (Romine is a FA and would have to identity a replacement)
  • Stanton is likely staying - high salary, coming off injury and he can opt out after next season
  • Encarnacion is gone
  • Maybin might be an option to replace Hicks - but likely gone for a lefty bat in OF or younger replacement like Floriel
  • Chapman potentially opting out
  • Betances is most likely gone - as FA w/injury issues
  • Target to re-sign DiDi
  • Add Left Handed Bats (find a lefty 1B to platoon with Voit), retain Tauchman as reserve OF
  • Trading Block - Andujar, Frazier
Potential Rotation Outlook......

Target signing Cole (a lifelong Yankee fan) -

Current Rotation Options:
  • Severino
  • Paxton
  • Tanaka (bone spur removal procedure in right elbow)
  • German (potential long term suspension for DV)
  • Montgomery
  • Happ
Others / In waiting:
  • Garcia
  • Losiaga
  • Medina

OK I'll start. Fire Boone! I don't need a Manager all the players love. I need a Manager who can manage.

Edit: Get rid of Stanton and Mayben (sp) and don't expect a repeat from Urchella. German needs to be in the starting rotation and Happ to the pen.

Boone can’t manage? He managed the most injury plagued team of all time to 103 wins.

Fire Cash-hole.... genius who can't seem to figure out 3 things.

1.Sluggers who go to sleep against top line pitching but exploit weak pitching are only good for the regular season.
2. We need our own top line starters
3. Sanchez hurts us in the playoffs- teams exploit his weak defense, put pressure on our D and Pitching in crucial postseason play.

Lets see Cashman added Paxton, resigned Britton and Ottavino made an unsuccessful run at Corbin had Greinke say no mas to any NY team, ran into an early trade deadline with too many teams e.g. the Giants in the playoff hunt, and I don't believe many of his critics thought of Marcus Stroman as a Yankee ace. Perhaps he should've consulted a psychic to know Betances and Severino would essentially miss the season, and German would be involved in an alleged domestic relations incident resulting in his suspension. Its a pipe dream to think Mets ownership would've traded one of their big three to the Yankees. To my knowledge, no reporter has said who the Yankees could've gotten and at what the price would've been. Other then Greinke what other contending team made a trade for a frontline starter? At least now they can make a money run at one of the top free agents, but even then some of those guys might prefer playing somewhere other than NY.

Reactions: Rutgers'02
Lets see Cashman added Paxton, resigned Britton and Ottavino made an unsuccessful run at Corbin had Greinke say no mas to any NY team, ran into an early trade deadline with too many teams e.g. the Giants in the playoff hunt, and I don't believe many of his critics thought of Marcus Stroman as a Yankee ace. Perhaps he should've consulted a psychic to know Betances and Severino would essentially miss the season, and German would be involved in an alleged domestic relations incident resulting in his suspension. Its a pipe dream to think Mets ownership would've traded one of their big three to the Yankees. To my knowledge, no reporter has said who the Yankees could've gotten and at what the price would've been. Other then Greinke what other contending team made a trade for a frontline starter? At least now they can make a money run at one of the top free agents, but even then some of those guys might prefer playing somewhere other than NY.
Greinke has been a bust. Happy to pass on him and that contract.

Question - If Aaron Hicks had a partially torn UCL, why the heck was he even considered for a roster spot in the playoffs? Looks like Gardner will be back.

Besides starting pitching, the biggest issue I see with the team is having 2 obvious full time DH candidates (Stanton and Sanchez) with nowhere to play them both in big games. Sanchez shouldn't be behind the plate in the playoffs and Stanton shouldn't be in the outfield for the playoffs. Putting them in their regular spots in regular season seems like it's doable with some juggling.

Oh and Boone should be manager of the year in the AL. I don't care if he's a yes man or whatever, he's the face of that dugout and pulling 100+ wins out of your butt with quadruple A'ers and waiver wire pick ups is damn remarkable.

Stanton has a no trade and limited value with that contract. He's not going anywhere.

Reactions: RW90
Cashhole has had 10 years to get an ace... aces actually. These failures are on him and only him

Greinke hasn't been a bust. He was 8-1 with a 3 ERA with Astros. Hasn't been good in the playoffs but he's not done yet.
He has been average in the playoffs, nothing more and that's not what Houston paid for.

Re-sign:
  • Didi
  • Gardner
  • Romine

Expendable (if tradable):
  • Frazier
  • Andujar
  • Bird
  • Voit
Buyout:
  • Encarnacion

Question - If Aaron Hicks had a partially torn UCL, why the heck was he even considered for a roster spot in the playoffs?
Supposedly Hicks was having a toss with one of his buds in the backyard when he realized he wasn't feeling his former elbow pain. So he called the Yankee brass who sent him to Tampa for accelerated rehab for the playoffs.

Re-sign:
  • Didi
  • Gardner
  • Romine

Expendable (if tradable):
  • Frazier
  • Andujar
  • Bird
  • Voit
Buyout:
  • Encarnacion

What is the move if Chapmen opps out? Britton as closer? Chap had a bit of an on and off year but would hate to have to start moving pieces in the BP.

DiDi/Gardner/Romine
Hopefully DiDi is fully recovered and gets back to his 18 form. Need that type of player. Gardner- had one of his best years but also Boone's biggest mistake- batting him 3rd. Romine- I think if I am Yankees, I do everything possible to sign him. Very solid player and you don't lose all that much offense when he is playing

Frazier/Andujar - Amazing to think how a year can change things. Both were almost on a "no touch" list last off season and if packaged with a prospect, may have gotten you a pretty good starting pitcher.
Bird- wow, his millions must be sweet as hell for him. Talk about timing...
Volt- very expendable

Reactions: RW90
What is the move if Chapmen opps out? Britton as closer? Chap had a bit of an on and off year but would hate to have to start moving pieces in the BP.

DiDi/Gardner/Romine
Hopefully DiDi is fully recovered and gets back to his 18 form. Need that type of player. Gardner- had one of his best years but also Boone's biggest mistake- batting him 3rd. Romine- I think if I am Yankees, I do everything possible to sign him. Very solid player and you don't lose all that much offense when he is playing

Frazier/Andujar - Amazing to think how a year can change things. Both were almost on a "no touch" list last off season and if packaged with a prospect, may have gotten you a pretty good starting pitcher.
Volt- very expendable
Need to resign Chapman. A quality bullpen now goes 5-6 deep.

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Yes Tango is ok but a Met fan starting a Yankees thread is a jinx and bad mojo.
I'll start the hot stove thread after the WS
Why? This is a good convo here. Why start a new thread just so that you can say ***I STARTED THIS YANKEE THREAD.*** Its going to be like the runaway Schiano threads.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Why? This is a good convo here. Why start a new thread just so that you can say ***I STARTED THIS YANKEE THREAD.*** Its going to be like the runaway Schiano threads.
+1
Mod started threads are fine for the ongoing topics.

+1
Mod started threads are fine for the ongoing topics.
Thanks.

BTW, If true, Chaim Bloom with the Sox Budget may be bad for you guys. Wouldve loved to see him with the Mets Budget but they're idiots.

Good for him. This isn't Kansas City. No World Series - FAILURE! He was exposed against the Astros.

No. Our middle of the order hitters were exposed against the Astros. One or two more hits with the bases loaded and we’re talking about game 3 of the World Series tonight.

Last edited:
No. Our middle of the order hitters were exposed against the Astros. One or two more hits with the bases loaded and we’re talking about game 3 of the World Series tonight.

And just who do you think makes out those line-up cards each game? Oh wait, in Boone's case it's probably Cashman.

DiDi/Gardner/Romine

Volt- very expendable
While Chapman is still a bona fide front line closer, he definitely has relied more upon his offspeed stuff (damn that hanging slider) given his age and more hitters adapting to high-ninety velocities. That said, I think his better days are past him and him opting out wouldn't be an insurmountable loss either from within or new signing.

So who are you blaming then? Pick one.

Obviously, the person of record is Boone, so you have to go with him. but (as stated by many) the Puppet Master/Puppet relationship can not be totally discounted.
But to give you an answer to your question - Boone. the last thing we needed was a manager with a little league mentality!

Obviously, the person of record is Boone, so you have to go with him. but (as stated by many) the Puppet Master/Puppet relationship can not be totally discounted.
But to give you an answer to your question - Boone. the last thing we needed was a manager with a little league mentality!

You can kick and scream about the manager until you’re blue in the face. He wasn’t the problem. The problem was that players that we depended on all year in the regular season had bad at-bats at crucial times with RISP. Simple as that. At some point you have to blame the players themselves.

Here's my offseason roster primer.....
  • Hicks getting Tommy John surgery - will be out until mid next year
  • Sanchez is likely staying (Romine is a FA and would have to identity a replacement)
  • Stanton is likely staying - high salary, coming off injury and he can opt out after next season
  • Encarnacion is gone
  • Maybin might be an option to replace Hicks - but likely gone for a lefty bat in OF or younger replacement like Floriel
  • Chapman potentially opting out
  • Betances is most likely gone - as FA w/injury issues
  • Target to re-sign DiDi
  • Add Left Handed Bats (find a lefty 1B to platoon with Voit), retain Tauchman as reserve OF
  • Trading Block - Andujar, Frazier
Potential Rotation Outlook......

Target signing Cole (a lifelong Yankee fan) -

Current Rotation Options:
  • Severino
  • Paxton
  • Tanaka (bone spur removal procedure in right elbow)
  • German (potential long term suspension for DV)
  • Montgomery
  • Happ
Others / In waiting:
  • Garcia
  • Losiaga
  • Medina
This all seems reasonable/plausible. I can't see Chapman opting out though. I don't think that would be a wise move the way free agency has been trending. What did Kimbrel want, 5-6 years? Wound up sitting for a half year and got three.

C

CASHMAN he got us Ellsbury, Stanton,
Hicks, Sanchez, and some others
AND ONE world series title in 19 years
With the resouces he has i am not
Impressed after all i am a yankee fan
Not the Mets:cool2:

The Yankees are poised to make a run into the playoffs pretty much in every season under Cashman. That's the GM's job. The players have to get it done on the field in the playoffs. They had their chances against the Astros and blew too many chances with RISP.

Reactions: MitchLL
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT