ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Yankees Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

I don’t understand why fans get upset by players making a lot of money. It’s not like it is your money.
Just look at the empty (though likely paid for) luxury boxes in any Yankee home game telecast. While the majority of revenues probably come from TV and advertising, this money grab has made any decent seats in the "new" Yankee Stadium much harder to come by without working class families shelling out a small fortune. And in the process, they have killed what used to be one of the best home field advantages in the history of the MLB.

I just don't see bringing Betances back. And having Cole means less stress on the bullpen. You can get replacement arm for the bullpen rather easily.

Still gotta get a LH bat, maybe two. Now the team has trade bait with Happ and maybe even German.

I just don't see bringing Betances back. And having Cole means less stress on the bullpen. You can get replacement arm for the bullpen rather easily.

Still gotta get a LH bat, maybe two. Now the team has trade bait with Happ and maybe even German.
I hope they bring back Betances. If not, they need to replace him.

Just look at the empty (though likely paid for) luxury boxes in any Yankee home game telecast. While the majority of revenues probably come from TV and advertising, this money grab has made any decent seats in the "new" Yankee Stadium much harder to come by without working class families shelling out a small fortune. And in the process, they have killed what used to be one of the best home field advantages in the history of the MLB.
That's across all pro sports. The average fan has long been priced out of the market.

That's across all pro sports. The average fan has long been priced out of the market.
Understood, I was merely responding to the point (paraphrasing) about not being impacted by ownership and/or franchise spending.

I hope they bring back Betances. If not, they need to replace him.
The things I remember about DB is there's about a 50/50 chance he walks the first guy he faces or bounces a pitch back to the screen.

He's money when he controls the zone, but he's horrendous if he doesn't. With Green/Kahnle/Britton... the NYY are fine.

BTW: Gotta a new idea for a LH hitter/1B... Mitch Moreland on a two year deal.:Wink:

From David Schoenfield , ESPN Senior Writer

A little reminder that the Yankees didn't lose to the Astros in 2017 and 2019 because of their starting pitching. Hit .214 and scored 21 runs in six games in '19 ALCS. Hit .205 and scored 22 runs in seven games in '17 ALCS. And hit .214 and scored 14 runs in four games against Red Sox in 2018 ALDS. They've lost in playoffs because the offense hasn't delivered.

Something to keep in mind.

There isn’t a GM in baseball that would take deGrom over Cole.
Why does anyone care. deGrom/Cole- two outstanding pitchers.
Yankees had to make this signing but I may be a little hesitant until he pitches a couple of years here.
Something just seems a bit fishy over in Houston. Between the cheating with signs and how suddenly Verlander has a Clemons like resurgence while at the same time Cole looks like a completely different pitcher then he did in Pittsburgh...
And how is Coke best pitcher in BB if he wasn’t the best pitcher on his team?

Hal finally acting like the old man who never would have let Verlander get away in 2017.

No excuses anymore. The Yankees are the team to beat.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
Why does anyone care. deGrom/Cole- two outstanding pitchers.
Yankees had to make this signing but I may be a little hesitant until he pitches a couple of years here.
Something just seems a bit fishy over in Houston. Between the cheating with signs and how suddenly Verlander has a Clemons like resurgence while at the same time Cole looks like a completely different pitcher then he did in Pittsburgh...
And how is Coke best pitcher in BB if he wasn’t the best pitcher on his team?
Did you watch the playoffs? Cole was much better than Verlander.

Me too.
And btw, when did Gleyber become such a great defensive shortstop ?
I'm thinking the pitching staff may miss Didi's glove and arm more than most people think.
Torres is a great SS and guess what? He can also hit the ball. Can't have a position for everyone. Torres at SS and DJ at 2nd sounds good to me.

Torres is a great SS and guess what? He can also hit the ball. Can't have a position for everyone. Torres at SS and DJ at 2nd sounds good to me.
Not sure I'd classify Gleyber as "great" defensively. I think he'll get there.

The NYY are still a team that strikes out too much. I'm not sure how easily that gets fixed.

Another need this team has is to replace Romine. Read someplace that Cole's personal catcher, Martin Maldonado, is available.

Reactions: RU Diesel07110

I may be wrong, but I believe during spring training of Torres rookie season Cashman was quoted as saying they felt Torres natural position was second base.Now, that may have been lipservice for the medias benefit since they had Didi, but it very well could be what the Yankees truly thought. I think they are going to miss Didi and his left handed bat this season. With him they had the luxury of moving guys around, giving a guy a game off without really sacrificing defense or offense.

That’s the definition of being out pitched.
Steve Carlton won 27 games on a team that won only 59
Different era...I don’t have the time but I wonder how many of Steve’s 1-0 2-1 or 4-2 type wins were pulled out in the 8th 9th innings.
But the luck of deGrom is almost unimaginable over the past 2 years.

Not sure I'd classify Gleyber as "great" defensively. I think he'll get there.

The NYY are still a team that strikes out too much. I'm not sure how easily that gets fixed.

Another need this team has is to replace Romine. Read someplace that Cole's personal catcher, Martin Maldonado, is available.
Not a fan of that idea or Higgie. When Gary goes on his next 50+ game DL stint, who would you want as his replacement in the lineup, a career .219 Maldonado, a Mendoza-line Higgie, or Ro?

Reactions: coldsprings
Did Rendon just sign with Angels or was that a dream? I will be back out there by baseball season. Might have to catch he and Trout and Otani. Do they have any pitchers besides Otani?

Did Rendon just sign with Angels or was that a dream? I will be back out there by baseball season. Might have to catch he and Trout and Otani. Do they have any pitchers besides Otani?
The Angels are on Full Tilt after losing Cole! Rendon? Is he a pitcher now?

Rumors on MLB Network that Yankees are pursuing Josh Hader. Brewers certainly have needs that NYY could fill.

Imagine a bullpen with Hader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: T2Kplus10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT