ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019-20 NY Yankees Offseason "Hot Stove" Thread

Rumors on MLB Network that Yankees are pursuing Josh Hader. Brewers certainly have needs that NYY could fill.

Imagine a bullpen with Hader!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd love it if the Yanks acquired Hader, but didn't his season end the same way as Chapman's ?

Not a fan of that idea or Higgie. When Gary goes on his next 50+ game DL stint, who would you want as his replacement in the lineup, a career .219 Maldonado, a Mendoza-line Higgie, or Ro?
I'm perplexed that the Yankees would let Romine go. He signed for just $4.1 M with the Tigers. He's a better catcher and more dependable hitter than Sanchez. Sanchez's (and Stanton's) tendency to hit HRs against mediocre pitchers and looking lost against good pitchers doesn't move my needle.

Last edited:
I'm perplexed that the Yankees would let Romine go. He signed for just $4.1 M with the Tigers. He's a better catcher and more dependable hitter than Sanchez. Sanchez's (and Stanton's) tendency to hit HRs against mediocre pitches and looking lost against good pitchers doesn't move my needle.
Kyle Higashioka is fine and we may sign Cole's buddy.

Kyle Higashioka is fine and we may sign Cole's buddy.
What??? Maldonado can't hit. He's a career .219 hitter and Higgy has yet to show he can hit major League pitching. Hell, he's only hit .248 in AAA. .214 last year in the 10 or whatever games he played as Ro's backup. Either one stands to be a big hole in the lineup. This is one decision Cashman will end up regretting. We're going to miss Ro badly, Mark my words.

Romine wanted to start. The Yanks weren't offering that. I doubt he would have taken that kind of money to sit on the bench most days or that we would have spent that for a backup.

Romine isn't as good as people think he is. He's like the backup QB, everyone loves him until he starts and they you realize why he's the backup.
source.gif

Romine isn't as good as people think he is. He's like the backup QB, everyone loves him until he starts and they you realize why he's the backup.
Sanchez is gonna be the Yankees catcher for the foreseeable future. Romine rightfully wanted to play. He had to go elsewhere.

Reactions: MitchLL
What??? Maldonado can't hit. He's a career .219 hitter and Higgy has yet to show he can hit major League pitching. Hell, he's only hit .248 in AAA. .214 last year in the 10 or whatever games he played as Ro's backup. Either one stands to be a big hole in the lineup. This is one decision Cashman will end up regretting. We're going to miss Ro badly, Mark my words.
We don't need a back-up catcher that hits. We have Sanchez.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Sanchez is a head case, hope I’m wrong but he slumped big time after a quick start last year.
Going to miss DiDi lefty bat for 14 mil they should’ve kept him

Sanchez is a head case, hope I’m wrong but he slumped big time after a quick start last year.
Going to miss DiDi lefty bat for 14 mil they should’ve kept him

We really have no idea what Didi you're going to get after his injury Is it pre-injury Didi, post-injury Didi or some hybrid in between. I'd go with the middle of the road option and I'd rather see the Yanks extend DJ at this point. But yes, they will definitely miss the old Didi bat.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
We really have no idea what Didi you're going to get after his injury Is it pre-injury Didi, post-injury Didi or some hybrid in between. I'd go with the middle of the road option and I'd rather see the Yanks extend DJ at this point. But yes, they will definitely miss the old Didi bat.
+1
Extend DJ now.

Agree. DiDi at ss, Torres 2nd, DJ 1st, Urshella 3rd.
Voit, andujar DH.
Yanks should have more lefty’s with short right field.

Reactions: Kbee3
For whatever reason... Cashman seems enamored with Sanchez. He's a KO machine and, at best, an average defensive player.

I just don't get it.:Sly:
Seriously, if the Yanks ever consider trading Sanchez virtually every other team in MLB will be interested in acquiring him.

Seriously, if the Yanks ever consider trading Sanchez virtually every other team in MLB will be interested in acquiring him.
I don't think so. He isn't clutch. He doesn't sell tickets. He is a horrible catcher and will demand a lot of money. There are plenty offensive players who can hit a lot of home runs and strike out alot. And are cheap. Sanchez is so overrated.

Reactions: MitchLL
I'm perplexed that the Yankees would let Romine go. He signed for just $4.1 M with the Tigers. He's a better catcher and more dependable hitter than Sanchez. Sanchez's (and Stanton's) tendency to hit HRs against mediocre pitchers and looking lost against good pitchers doesn't move my needle.
He wants to prove he is a starting catcher. Wasn't going to get that opportunity without changing teams.

Sanchez is cheap. End of discussion. You cannot give everyone on the team 8 figure annual contracts.

Plus, he produces at a premium position. He will be here until he hits free agency. That's when you'll find out how much Cash truly values him. I think they will let him walk if he continues at his current pace.

For whatever reason... Cashman seems enamored with Sanchez. He's a KO machine and, at best, an average defensive player.

I just don't get it.:Sly:
Did you know he had disipline problems in the minors, and they had to suspend him for a week?
All this crap they take from him for
A few home run streaks. I don't get
It.

A pitcher can't be truly great until he proves it in the AL.
Then curious why Cole was better in the AL and it isn’t even close.
But I can tell you this, I would still rather have the current B2B CY winner at age 30 for another 4 years at about 20-25 per year than a CY runner up at age 30 for another 9 years at 35mil or so...just saying...there can’t be much argument on that...

Then curious why Cole was better in the AL and it isn’t even close.
But I can tell you this, I would still rather have the current B2B CY winner at age 30 for another 4 years at about 20-25 per year than a CY runner up at age 30 for another 9 years at 35mil or so...just saying...there can’t be much argument on that...
DeGrom is 31 and Cole is 29 (over 2 years younger). Cole was a younger pitcher that brought it all together in the varsity league and proved his worth on the biggest stage. Enjoy your older .500 pitcher.

#typicalmets

DeGrom is 31 and Cole is 29 (over 2 years younger). Cole was a younger pitcher that brought it all together in the varsity league and proved his worth on the biggest stage. Enjoy your older .500 pitcher.

#typicalmets
LMAO!!!! The same Varsity League that lost this years World Series?:WideSmile: Stupid says as stupid does!!!! PS. Last 20 years, AL 11 -9, hardly dominate,carry on with your dumb ass statements.

LMAO!!!! The same Varsity League that lost this years World Series?:WideSmile: Stupid says as stupid does!!!! PS. Last 20 years, AL 11 -9, hardly dominate,carry on with your dumb ass statements.

Interleague play is a better judge of which league is better and before this year the AL had won 14 straight seasons, enough said.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
He wants to prove he is a starting catcher. Wasn't going to get that opportunity without changing teams.

I think Romine signing with the Tigers weakens the Yankees. Agree with many of Sanchez's weaknesses and his inability to catch a full season. See no reason why that should be expected to change. At $4.1 M for one year, Romine becomes July 31 trade bait. Perhaps Yanks will trade back for him??? At any rate, we'll find out about Higashioka sharing catching duties fast enough.

As far as Didi goes, it's a loss but one because of the talent that is trying to fit into that line-up and infield. By the way, Didi will turn 30 on February 20th. There was only one MLB shortstop who played full time who was 30 years or older and he wasn't even good -- Brandon Crawford of the Giants.

Last edited:

#typicalmets

There is still a wait and see in my book in what happens performance wise between the two. First, I will say the past two years have put these two guys up on top of the pitching mountain so all of this is kind of stupid to argue going into the next couple of years. Met's and Yankee's most likely have the two best pitchers in baseball.
Why I have a bit of a wait and see. While I recognize the arguement of the DH in the American league, it has made the difference of .29 runs scored per game in advantage of american league since 1997. The strange thing is how much better Cole got once he got to the AL and it happens to be on the same team that at the same time made Verlander Clemons 2.0 . I need to see Cole keep it up elsewhere. And it wasnt just a minor change. He was a 8.4 K per 9 inning guy that went to 13 k per 9. 8.6 H per 9 to 6.2 H per 9...And it magnifies because he supposedly got this drastically better in the superior hitting league.
And BTW- outside of K's - his last 2 years are nowhere close to deGrom who pitched to a 2.05 era to Coles 2.69 . That IS NOT do to a DH.
Now- again, both teams have amazing guys going into 202.
As for contracts- yes, deGrom is older but during is ages of 31-35 - Met's will pay him an average of $32mil per year. And contract over. Cole, on the other hand- during his age of 31-35, Yankees will pay him an average of $36mil and still be on the hoof for 2 more years.

You guys did what you did have to do. You paid a price for it and there are more questions about Cole than deGrom.
I would take both but I would take deGrom and his contract and past performance over Cole, any day of the week.

There is still a wait and see in my book in what happens performance wise between the two. First, I will say the past two years have put these two guys up on top of the pitching mountain so all of this is kind of stupid to argue going into the next couple of years. Met's and Yankee's most likely have the two best pitchers in baseball.
Why I have a bit of a wait and see. While I recognize the arguement of the DH in the American league, it has made the difference of .29 runs scored per game in advantage of american league since 1997. The strange thing is how much better Cole got once he got to the AL and it happens to be on the same team that at the same time made Verlander Clemons 2.0 . I need to see Cole keep it up elsewhere. And it wasnt just a minor change. He was a 8.4 K per 9 inning guy that went to 13 k per 9. 8.6 H per 9 to 6.2 H per 9...And it magnifies because he supposedly got this drastically better in the superior hitting league.
And BTW- outside of K's - his last 2 years are nowhere close to deGrom who pitched to a 2.05 era to Coles 2.69 . That IS NOT do to a DH.
Now- again, both teams have amazing guys going into 202.
As for contracts- yes, deGrom is older but during is ages of 31-35 - Met's will pay him an average of $32mil per year. And contract over. Cole, on the other hand- during his age of 31-35, Yankees will pay him an average of $36mil and still be on the hoof for 2 more years.

You guys did what you did have to do. You paid a price for it and there are more questions about Cole than deGrom.
I would take both but I would take deGrom and his contract and past performance over Cole, any day of the week.
DeGrom just doesn't seem like a winner. I'll take the proven big game pitcher in a heartbeat. This means not just Cole, but also Tanaka and Sevi. It's all about October.

Reactions: NickKnight 1
DeGrom just doesn't seem like a winner. I'll take the proven big game pitcher in a heartbeat. This means not just Cole, but also Tanaka and Sevi. It's all about October.
deGrom is 3-1 2.88 and Cole is 6-4 2.60 in post season...pretty damn close and both very good.
And are you actually going to try to argue Tanaka and Sevi vs deGrom? Cole vs deGrom is a solid and fun argument but to even mention the other two with these two guys just stupid...

deGrom is 3-1 2.88 and Cole is 6-4 2.60 in post season...pretty damn close and both very good.
And are you actually going to try to argue Tanaka and Sevi vs deGrom? Cole vs deGrom is a solid and fun argument but to even mention the other two with these two guys just stupid...
Sevi and Tanaka are proven big game/playoff pitchers. I'm happy with them.

As Zap says, winners find a way to win. An elite pitcher whose bullpen sucks will find a way to go deeper in games. Stop trying to pad your K stats, save your pitches and get into the 9th. We haven't seen this quality with DeGrom, which is a big red flag.

Sevi and Tanaka are proven big game/playoff pitchers. I'm happy with them.

As Zap says, winners find a way to win. An elite pitcher whose bullpen sucks will find a way to go deeper in games. Stop trying to pad your K stats, save your pitches and get into the 9th. We haven't seen this quality with DeGrom, which is a big red flag.

So many wrong things in this post. deGrom has no say in when he is taken out of games. If you ever watch the Met's and deGrom, you will see he is the most pissed off person in NY when he is taken out. He has also been taken out of games where his 6th and 7th innings were his strongest of the game. And this is also the difference between AL/NL -you have to pinch hit for the pitcher. deGrom has been at or near the top of both leagues in innings pitched per game.
Cole- last 3 years 98 starts 615 innings
deGrom 95 starts 622 innings

Please lob me another

So many wrong things in this post. deGrom has no say in when he is taken out of games. If you ever watch the Met's and deGrom, you will see he is the most pissed off person in NY when he is taken out. He has also been taken out of games where his 6th and 7th innings were his strongest of the game. And this is also the difference between AL/NL -you have to pinch hit for the pitcher. deGrom has been at or near the top of both leagues in innings pitched per game.
Cole- last 3 years 98 starts 615 innings
deGrom 95 starts 622 innings

Please lob me another
Zap's opinion > Your opinion

:)

Zap's opinion > Your opinion

:)
Did Zap say it specifically about deGrom or more in general? because he is right in the general statement but find it hard that even Zap could find a single fault or red flag with deGrom...I do know that Zap is a Yankee fan so may not have seen each of deGrom's games, the circumstances and how the guy reacted each time his idiot manger took him out of a game after dominating the previous inning.
And again- you are arguing as if you really do have red flags with deGrom and don't consider him in Cole's league. I love both pitchers and over the past 2 years- they are 1 & 1a at the top of the league.
I know how you tend to argue and is why I have tried to put in the disclaimer that both are very very good each time I say anything. As I would look VERY stupid to try to say that Cole is not at the top and that the Yankees made a mistake in signing him. I would be happy with either guy on my team. I just happen to be happier with deGrom and his contract.

ADVERTISEMENT