ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like yesterday the Mets were going down every time you turned your head. These things happen during any baseball season, so I'm of the belief that it's not about the training staff but just the luck/bad luck of the game. "Hopefully" the worm has turned, and it's not the Mets going through this $hit to a major degree this season.

I know I'll be in the minority on this one but didn't mind Nimmo not bunting. I like our bats to hot away even though he's started the year off poorly.

I know I'll be in the minority on this one but didn't mind Nimmo not bunting. I like our bats to hot away even though he's started the year off poorly.
Bunting Legares twice with 2 strikes was also a head scratcher. Dude just had one of his best hits in 2 years the previous AB. Nimmo has looked lost and has him swinging?
Bringing Diaz in yesterday was mind numbing. Keeping Wilson in, doesn't bother me as much but why get Lugo up and throwing and then keep Pederson in?

What I love this season so far...Smith/Alonso combo is great to watch and to see the both of them supporting each other so much. Shows that the clubhouse must really be together this year. McNeil/Comforto/Cano/Ramos/Alonso(even Smith with very clutch hits) This is the first time in years that I see the next inning lineup come up and not see a 123 inning coming up. I know it is still early but these guys hit and the hit like professional ball players- not just sluggers. Even Rosario seems to just be playing some good ball. Kind of team that may have some magic in it.
BTW- Ramos may end up the biggest signing of the year.
Love the bench as well. Really good mix of experience and youth.

Couple if takeaways from last night. Good to see Smith and Alonso supporting each other. They were the most animated after the big HR. IIRC Fish starting a righty tonite, I would like to see McNeil in the 2-hole since Mick announced Smith is starting at 1B. If Nimmo struggles again tonite, sit him Wednesday against a righty and play Smith in LF with McNeil at 3B.

If Diaz unavailable tonite, does Lugo get the 8th and JFams close?

Couple if takeaways from last night. Good to see Smith and Alonso supporting each other. They were the most animated after the big HR. IIRC Fish starting a righty tonite, I would like to see McNeil in the 2-hole since Mick announced Smith is starting at 1B. If Nimmo struggles again tonite, sit him Wednesday against a righty and play Smith in LF with McNeil at 3B.

It's good to have options that actually produce.

Reactions: cicero grimes
Wasn’t a doubt in my mind Nimmo was a K there.

Agreed on Ramos signing - the difference is clear when automatic out Nido is in there. Need to keep this guy healthy.

Bunting Legares twice with 2 strikes was also a head scratcher. Dude just had one of his best hits in 2 years the previous AB. Nimmo has looked lost and has him swinging?
Bringing Diaz in yesterday was mind numbing. Keeping Wilson in, doesn't bother me as much but why get Lugo up and throwing and then keep Pederson in?

What I love this season so far...Smith/Alonso combo is great to watch and to see the both of them supporting each other so much. Shows that the clubhouse must really be together this year. McNeil/Comforto/Cano/Ramos/Alonso(even Smith with very clutch hits) This is the first time in years that I see the next inning lineup come up and not see a 123 inning coming up. I know it is still early but these guys hit and the hit like professional ball players- not just sluggers. Even Rosario seems to just be playing some good ball. Kind of team that may have some magic in it.
BTW- Ramos may end up the biggest signing of the year.
Love the bench as well. Really good mix of experience and youth.

Legares bunting after just hitting a home run and Nimmo swinging away made no sense whatsoever. Looked like Legares could have broke finger. Bench will be far better with Lowery and Frazier get back.

Smith and Alonso seem to be really close. Lot's of home grown products playing right now. Guys that are familiar with one another and have chemistry. Good start but I'm gonna stay grounded. The memory of 11-1 from last year is still all too vivid in my mind.

Lagares was bunting on his own with 2 strikes per Mickey post game last night. Said he liked that decision though wtf he is going to hold us back unfortunately.

I call BS! Everything he said on his Howard Stern interviews is 100% true. Can't post any of it here, because it is about his exploits off the field.
I loved Lenny as a player. As a person not so much. In the fullness of time the reason for the Juan Samuel trade becomes clearer.

Whether true or not about Lenny, Darling has no business putting that in a book. It will be curious to see how Hernandez addresses this in the booth. I like Ron in the booth, but will any of his old teammates want to come to the booth now? If keeping Ron results in the rest of the '86 team shunning the TV booth can the Mets afford to keep Ron?

Whether true or not about Lenny, Darling has no business putting that in a book. It will be curious to see how Hernandez addresses this in the booth. I like Ron in the booth, but will any of his old teammates want to come to the booth now? If keeping Ron results in the rest of the '86 team shunning the TV booth can the Mets afford to keep Ron?
I don't like it either. That stuff should stay in the clubhouse.

Ron needs to eat more prunes and loosen up.
There is no love lost between Yalie Ron and gutter Lenny. Also sounds like Ron was throwing himself some cover in the SJW's come after him for not speaking up sooner. That mid to late 1980's Mets bunch was a wild, crazy and fun-loving bunch of guys. Times were a little different then.

Lagares was bunting on his own with 2 strikes per Mickey post game last night. Said he liked that decision though wtf he is going to hold us back unfortunately.
And the next sign from the 3rd base coach should have been- finger across the neck to say cut that F-ing shit out. Swing the bat.

Would not surprise me if it's true. Also would have to say if it is Oil Can must not have heard any of it.

How is Dykstra still alive? i expect him to be living in a garbage can somewhere. He certainly didn't help his case by threatening to deck Darling like a "f'in redheaded stepchild"...lol.

That being said, it's pretty crappy of Darling to bring this stuff up 33 years later just to capitalize on it, even if it's true.

They deserve each other. They should have on one of those Donny Osmond - Danny Bonaduce Boxing matches. They can both make some money off it.

Reactions: redking
How do you not have your setup man or closer available in only the 4th game of the season? If they blew that game, it would be all on Calloway as far as I'm concerned.
He's making some crap bullpen decisions already and its going to cost them some games later on.

The question is how is he going to play his infield when Lowrie and/or Frazier comes back:
- That Alonso/ Smith combo SHOULD NOT BE TOUCHED... PERIOD!!! Its working for now. Dont touch it so that Frazier can strike out 3 times a game. Looks like both have found their nitch and both are supporting each other on and off the field.
- Maybe have Lowrie share third base with McNeil. No more playing players all over the place like they did with Murphy, Turner, Wilmer Flores, and some of the other past players who probably wouldve had better/longer careers if they played one position.
- Only way Smith or McNeil plays the outfield if Nimmo (or someone else) is hurt for an extended period. Frazier should take on the Rusty Staub PH role and come in for double switches.

But yeah... For a pitching coach, Calloway has to get better in handling the late innings.

Right now, my biggest concern is Nimmo and his hand. Hope all is well with him. Also we need Todd Frazier and Travis Darnaud back so we can farm JD Davis and Nido. I can’t stomach Nido and his .100 batting average. Would have been nice if Dom Smith experiment in the outfield would have worked to get him more ABs. Please sign Keuchel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT