ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Mets Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the beats the original deal had McNeil in it but the fan cry to the rumors made him re-work the deal. Believe it if you want.
I don't believe it, because if there was such a fan cry to the rumors, why didn't any of us hear it?

And if it IS true, which I doubt, then shame on BVW. He isn't supposed to be making decisions based on the screams of idiots like us.

I guess you don't follow Twitter - this was all over.

Wow. I knew McNeil was reportedly discussed, but I never thought it was IN ADDITION to Kelenic/Dunn! I just assumed that either Kelenic or Dunn was included INSTEAD OF McNeil.
So you are saying that Seattle accepted Bautista instead of McNeil? What a steal for the Mets! You go Brodie!:Wink:

Wow. I knew McNeil was reportedly discussed, but I never thought it was IN ADDITION to Kelenic/Dunn! I just assumed that either Kelenic or Dunn was included INSTEAD OF McNeil.
So you are saying that Seattle accepted Bautista instead of McNeil? What a steal for the Mets! You go Brodie!:Wink:

Correct - McNeil was about to go in addition to the other torture - Mets Twitter flipped out big time - Bautista got swapped in.

I mean the deal still drains the life out of me, but I can't even imagine if he shipped McNeil out too.

Reactions: redking
Anybody that believes twitter is the reason McNeil wasn't traded is a complete moron and is just searching for something to whine and complain about

Anybody that believes twitter is the reason McNeil wasn't traded is a complete moron and is just searching for something to whine and complain about

Twitter is far from gospel in my eyes, trust me - but I am highly inclined to believe McNeil was also on the table. What I know is BVW has blinders on when it comes to his players and likely wanted a huge splash with his first transaction.

Reactions: redking and Zak57
Altherr with a hit, Familia with a sold 8th. Looking outside in the bad weather to see the planets have aligned.

Reactions: FrankZ
Everybody needs a rest. It's a long season (a marathon) and it's the dog days of August. And Cohen pointed out last night per the manager commencing Friday it's pretty much a sprint to the finish. I'd rather give guys a blow now against the Marlins then have them looking dog tired in games vs the Braves, Phils or Nats next month.
With Rosario- I can buy it. he has played 110 of 114 games. Conforto has played in 104 games which includes PHing. So, he has in fact rested early in the season so that he can play every f-ing game when it counts down the stretch. I may understand why pitchers are now going on pitch counts and innings but for guys in the field, they are not putting in more effort on every single play than they used to when they used to play at least 150 games a year or be called a pussy.
This is the stretch run and these guys do not get a rest over the next 1/3 season. Let's pull 5 games up in the WC and give a guy a rest here and there and never two starters on the same day when there is an off day a day later. And to be honest- I may want to rest one against a top team/pitcher rather then a bottom feeder who we have to crush.

Didnt even see the box score- f-ing team is on a super roll! A few weeks ago, I would have compared McNeil to a Gywnn/Boggs/Carew but he may end up closer to a "Brett/Pucket"

With Rosario- I can buy it. he has played 110 of 114 games. Conforto has played in 104 games which includes PHing. So, he has in fact rested early in the season so that he can play every f-ing game when it counts down the stretch. I may understand why pitchers are now going on pitch counts and innings but for guys in the field, they are not putting in more effort on every single play than they used to when they used to play at least 150 games a year or be called a pussy.
This is the stretch run and these guys do not get a rest over the next 1/3 season. Let's pull 5 games up in the WC and give a guy a rest here and there and never two starters on the same day when there is an off day a day later. And to be honest- I may want to rest one against a top team/pitcher rather then a bottom feeder who we have to crush.
Lets see. Rests Conforto; Conforto then hits two home runs. May not be connected but then again, it may. The only issue I have with resting people is when managers rest everyone in same game. That's not just Calloway, seems all managers do it. I don't get. You can't stretch the off days over several games and rest one at a time?

tenor.gif

The train keeps a rollin'

And sure this was a super easy part of the schedule, but we absolutely crushed it.

Now one BVW move that has worked? Wilson Ramos, a rough stretch defensively earlier, but that has tightened up, and his hitting was big early when we got off to a good start, and it has been big during this stretch. And as noted above, the pitchers are pitching great lately with him behind the plate.

This is exciting right now. This Washington series will probably have that same electricity as that home series late in 2015 in which that the Mets swept and overtook the Nats on the way to the playoffs and eventually the World Series.

I'd say the biggest difference between what we are seeing now and what we were seeing during their rough patch earlier, is the defense.
It was bad for awhiles, it's been excellent during this stretch.

Now one BVW move that has worked? Wilson Ramos, a rough stretch defensively earlier, but that has tightened up, and his hitting was big early when we got off to a good start, and it has been big during this stretch. And as noted above, the pitchers are pitching great lately with him behind the plate.

Good point - big advocate of Ramos over Grandal in the off-season, so I'm very glad to see this coming along. Just can't hang with Nido at the plate, especially with the likes of Altherr, Hech, Guillorme, etc.

Last edited:
This is exciting right now. This Washington series will probably have that same electricity as that home series late in 2015 in which that the Mets swept and overtook the Nats on the way to the playoffs and eventually the World Series.

Was thinking the same, but less juice since a division title isn't directly on the line.

As far as the other big news - instead of being fresh off the Cespedes trade, we can sub in Stroman to make that parallel. Need him to take-over NYC.

As per Matz. Not a super clean game, not dominant, worked out of some trouble, but he was able to work his way through. And maybe that is more encouraging then an easy stroll through the park? That he battled through some sticky spots?

Reactions: cicero grimes
Didnt even see the box score- f-ing team is on a super roll! A few weeks ago, I would have compared McNeil to a Gywnn/Boggs/Carew but he may end up closer to a "Brett/Pucket"

Just checked baseball reference...Names that have very similar 2nd years in MLB...Griffey Jr Mantle, Brett, Puckett. He has more power then Boggs and Gywn but those two guys were insane when it came to BA when they first came up...

Just checked baseball reference...Names that have very similar 2nd years in MLB...Griffey Jr Mantle, Brett, Puckett. He has more power then Boggs and Gywn but those two guys were insane when it came to BA when they first came up...
I love McNeil but before we put him the class as the players above, let him win a few batting titles first.

Reactions: redking and RU-05
Conforto!!!! Game blow open!!!

Let's see Mazza.
I think we've seen the last of Mazza for awhile. With two off days in the next five, I think he gets DFA'd and then brought back to Syracuse after going unclaimed. The question is which position player comes up. I think we see the return of Ruben Tejada.

I love McNeil but before we put him the class as the players above, let him win a few batting titles first.

If you notice...I only am comparing year number 2...not career. I dont believe Mantle, Griffey, Brett or Puckett won many batting titles bt year two...
He has a long long way to go, just making a point at where he compares in this early stage of his career,,,

2015 happened and who expected that ?It was essentially based on 1 guy. Cespedes.This is s team gold rush. We will see when they play their division rivals soon .Whatever happens it has been a joy ride so far.

If you notice...I only am comparing year number 2...not career. I dont believe Mantle, Griffey, Brett or Puckett won many batting titles bt year two...
He has a long long way to go, just making a point at where he compares in this early stage of his career,,,
A fair point but he still has six weeks to go. Look I want him to be the next Roy Hobbs but he has to do it over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT