ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 PGA Tour Thread

Has anyone else noticed how Golf Channel's show " Live from The Players Championship" has almost No Live Golf, but just talking commentators live?
I guess they want those fans who actually want to see Live Golf pay for the NBC stream where you can follow certain pairings for whatever their fee is to watch without commercials or having to endure the panelists.
I believe NBC owns The Golf Channel.

I'm not paying, lol.
The "Live" part just means the studio show is there live.

Reactions: Abro1975
I would think McElroy has the St. Patricks Day advantage today.

Btw, you ever notice in the USA there are plenty of Universities named St. Johns, St Josephs, St. Francis'. I don't think I know of any St. Patrick's University. At least any that play D1 or D2 sports. Why is that?
Is there a podcast on that tidbit?

Has anyone else noticed how Golf Channel's show " Live from The Players Championship" has almost No Live Golf, but just talking commentators live?
I guess they want those fans who actually want to see Live Golf pay for the NBC stream where you can follow certain pairings for whatever their fee is to watch without commercials or having to endure the panelists.

I'm not paying, lol.

I'm with you.

It's getting very windy out there. I decided to root for Keegan Bradley. He's probably Irish and it's St Patricks Day, he played college golf at St Johns, not many PGA players played in the NE for college. The nephew of LPGA great Pat Bradley, lives in Jupiter , which I love visiting, and seem like a good guy out there. As subjective as that . Go Keegan !

I'm not paying, lol.
They do show all of Tigers shots.

I'm not paying, lol.
I think it's because they contractually don't have the rights to show live content. It's been this way since the Golf Channel started. Doesn't matter if NBC owns TGC.

I think it's because they contractually don't have the rights to show live content. It's been this way since the Golf Channel started. Doesn't matter if NBC owns TGC.

But The Golf Channel is contractually allowed to show live golf on their website during this time period, for a price, of course.

It's getting very windy out there. I decided to root for Keegan Bradley. He's probably Irish and it's St Patricks Day, he played college golf at St Johns, not many PGA players played in the NE for college. The nephew of LPGA great Pat Bradley, lives in Jupiter , which I love visiting, and seem like a good guy out there. As subjective as that . Go Keegan !
Furyk.

Wow, a lot of people can win this today. Mistakes by the leaders are letting a bunch of players back in.

Which is why Golf Channel Live can't.

But NBC owns the Golf Channel. So it seems that NBC elects to make the live morning action 'pay per view' rather than showing it all live on Networks Television.

But NBC owns the Golf Channel. So it seems that NBC elects to make the live morning action 'pay per view' rather than showing it all live on Networks Television.
I actually think it's the PGA making that call. A way to make more money beyond the TV contract.

Wow..if that put on 17 only went in...

And not any coverage of sneeeeediker until now. Gonna be great finish.

Love him winning. Rory..that's cool, as would be Brandt coming from behind. Rahm...some other time.

Wow..if that put on 17 only went in...

And not any coverage of sneeeeediker until now. Gonna be great finish.
Thought for sure that putt on 17 was in - looked perfect - and that aggressive drive and perfect iron on 18 were just pure. Rory just tied him, though. How about that 72 foot by Vegas on 17? Some awesome golf this afternoon, which is especially nice for me, as I haven't caught any of the tournament so far.

I would think McElroy has the St. Patricks Day advantage today.

Btw, you ever notice in the USA there are plenty of Universities named St. Johns, St Josephs, St. Francis'. I don't think I know of any St. Patrick's University. At least any that play D1 or D2 sports. Why is that?
Is there a podcast on that tidbit?

Maybe a St. Patrick's Day school ?

Thought for sure that putt on 17 was in - looked perfect - and that aggressive drive and perfect iron on 18 were just pure. Rory just tied him, though. How about that 72 foot by Vegas on 17? Some awesome golf this afternoon, which is especially nice for me, as I haven't caught any of the tournament so far.

Vegas' followed on amazing 40 s curve shot sane hole just before.

Wish this wasn't on ncaa tourney weekend...but great to see a big event back in March. Gets the golfing juices going!

Rory has the steady stick the last 4 holes and nobody can make a move, except Jim Furyk,, but he started to far back.

Congrats to Rory , enjoy the St Patrick's Day Night.

Great course, great field and great tournament this weekend. After watching this I will make sure I attend next year at the Players.

Have to like Rory a lot after seeing his postgame interview.

Very talented but humble kid, in spite of all the success he’s had on the tour. He brings it on every hole. From tee to green he is hard to beat. He showed today that he can still close out a tournament against a deep field.

I liked Rahm or Fleetwood this morning to win, but very happy that Rory brought it home. In cold, rainy or windy conditions the UK area pros are like playing at home. They are battle tested under adverse weather conditions. Anyone who has played in Ireland, England, Scotland knows what I mean.

Great course, great field and great tournament this weekend. After watching this I will make sure I attend next year at the Players.

Very talented but humble kid, in spite of all the success he’s had on the tour. He brings it on every hole. From tee to green he is hard to beat. He showed today that he can still close out a tournament against a deep field.

I liked Rahm or Fleetwood this morning to win, but very happy that Rory brought it home. In cold, rainy or windy conditions the UK area pros are like playing at home. They are battle tested under adverse weather conditions. Anyone who has played in Ireland, England, Scotland knows what I mean.
Great win for Rory, he's been building his game up to this. Great to see him close it out, not an easy place to do that.

Its a fun tournament to watch on TV. The course creates a lot of drama and leaderboard swings. Birdies and disaster live within a couple of feet, all over that course. I'm not sure you get a winner who played the best every year, although I think we did this year. Does seem like a great environment and great place to see a tourney.

It wasn’t pretty but sure was exciting finish. The last group just can’t get it together. Good thing Rory lucked out by going 2ndo last...LOL

If you make the trip - Friday is my favorite day watching people grind to make the cut. Sunday’s I usually follow leaders for a while then head to 17. It’s a blast. Lots of great places to watch from all over that course. If you are a vet, tickets are real cheap. Let me know if you decide to come up.

Reactions: Knightmoves
If you make the trip - Friday is my favorite day watching people grind to make the cut. Sunday’s I usually follow leaders for a while then head to 17. It’s a blast. Lots of great places to watch from all over that course. If you are a vet, tickets are real cheap. Let me know if you decide to come up.
I've been to many majors and regular tour stops. Thursday and Friday are best time to walk around. Groups out everywhere all day. Come Saturday or Sunday once the leaders tee off the viewing spots get less and less as there are less holes in play.

Love him winning. Rory..that's cool, as would be Brandt coming from behind. Rahm...some other time.

You could see Rahm had himself convinced that WTF shot from the sand into water was his best chance. Even he's not drawing it that much out of the sand playing with the wind. LOL.

That was a horrible decision. Even his caddy’s reaction was funny. You just knew that wasn’t going to end well.

Rahm argues that he could bend a 200 yard sand shot instead of chipping out and then 100 yards in.

When you are making those mistakes, you are very far from winning a major championship.

At a very young age I learned playing golf should be void of anger/temper/bad decisions. It cost me the Shore Conference tournament at Woodlake Country Club as a junior in HS. I don't regret that loss because I learned from it. John Rahm hasn't learned a damn thing on tour.

That was a horrible decision. Even his caddy’s reaction was funny. You just knew that wasn’t going to end well.

Rahm argues that he could bend a 200 yard sand shot instead of chipping out and then 100 yards in.

When you are making those mistakes, you are very far from winning a major championship.

LOL. He's telling his caddy he might not be able to make the chip to safety in the fairway but no mention of the 30 degree draw he needs to put on a sand shot over water with the wind in the cool temperature.

Not. Smart. Golf.

Caddy shoulda smacked him in the back of the head.

When your caddie gives you the look his gave, you take out the sandy and pitch it where he said. That simple.

Reactions: RUScrew85
Rahm appears to be blaming the caddy for making him doubt the sand shot and causing the miss! Yikes.

QUOTED:

Rahm, who held the 54-hole lead at TPC Sawgrass before starting the final round with three bogeys over four holes, was tied for the lead at 14-under par when he came to the par-5 11th hole. After his tee shot landed in a fairway bunker 220 yards from the hole, Rahm had a decision to make. He could lay up short of a water hazard and give himself a better angle for his third shot, or he could go for broke and go for the green.

Rahm's caddie, Adam Hayes, left no doubt about what he thought Rahm should do in a conversation that was picked up by the NBC broadcast.

"I’m gonna get you flat over here," Hayes said, pointing to the fairway. "You’ll have a flat lie, you’ll have 100 [yards to the green] -- "

"The problem is,” Rahm interrupted, “I’m not confident hitting that shot because it's not a good lie. If you hit it too far down there you’ll have a very tough angle."

"Okay, yeah," a seemingly exasperated Hayes said before walking away.

Rahm went for the green and missed badly, hitting his shot into the water on his way to making a bogey that knocked him off the top of the leaderboard.

"I was so f---ing sure the first time," Rahm said as the ball headed toward the drink.

"That is very, very perplexing," NBC commentator Dan Hicks said of the sequence.

"Really a poor decision," course reporter Roger Maltbie chimed in.

Rahm was still in the tournament before playing the last four holes at three-over-par to finish in a tie for 12th at 11-under, five shots behind eventual winner Rory McIlroy.

"Adam was trying to convince me to go right, and when I first got to the ball I was really sure I could [hit the green]," Rahm said after his round. "I mean, if you give me 10 balls besides that one I’ll hit the other ones on land. But unfortunately, I got a little bit of doubt in me."

Yeah, you could hear the caddie trying to talk him out of it, but when he realized Rahm was going to foolishly go ahead with the shot, the look on his caddy's face was priceless. I assume that's going to be a future PGA/Rahm meme if it's not already...

Rahm appears to be blaming the caddy for making him doubt the sand shot and causing the miss! Yikes.

QUOTED:

Rahm, who held the 54-hole lead at TPC Sawgrass before starting the final round with three bogeys over four holes, was tied for the lead at 14-under par when he came to the par-5 11th hole. After his tee shot landed in a fairway bunker 220 yards from the hole, Rahm had a decision to make. He could lay up short of a water hazard and give himself a better angle for his third shot, or he could go for broke and go for the green.

Rahm's caddie, Adam Hayes, left no doubt about what he thought Rahm should do in a conversation that was picked up by the NBC broadcast.

"I’m gonna get you flat over here," Hayes said, pointing to the fairway. "You’ll have a flat lie, you’ll have 100 [yards to the green] -- "

"The problem is,” Rahm interrupted, “I’m not confident hitting that shot because it's not a good lie. If you hit it too far down there you’ll have a very tough angle."

"Okay, yeah," a seemingly exasperated Hayes said before walking away.

Rahm went for the green and missed badly, hitting his shot into the water on his way to making a bogey that knocked him off the top of the leaderboard.

"I was so f---ing sure the first time," Rahm said as the ball headed toward the drink.

"That is very, very perplexing," NBC commentator Dan Hicks said of the sequence.

"Really a poor decision," course reporter Roger Maltbie chimed in.

Rahm was still in the tournament before playing the last four holes at three-over-par to finish in a tie for 12th at 11-under, five shots behind eventual winner Rory McIlroy.

"Adam was trying to convince me to go right, and when I first got to the ball I was really sure I could [hit the green]," Rahm said after his round. "I mean, if you give me 10 balls besides that one I’ll hit the other ones on land. But unfortunately, I got a little bit of doubt in me."

Didn't see your post when I just replied. What a putz trying to blame the caddy. Wasn't a big fan of Rahm's to begin with and he just dropped several notches in my book. Simply no reason to take that risky of a shot, when he could've easily been an easy wedge away in 2 and was leading the tournament. Keeps 4 in play and at worst a 5, instead of the 6 he got, which could've been worse.

He’s bullshit. He thinks he can hit a 220 bending sand shot but has doubts about a flat lie 100 yards fairway shot? Then blames it on his caddie’s lack of confidence in him? W e a k

In local golf news the RU women's team just won the Julie Inkster Collegiate outside San Francisco with Soph Harriett Allsebrook (-9) running away with the individual title. Frosh Mauve Rossi (+1) finished T8.

Top 3 were.....

RU +4
Cal +6
San Jose St +7
1jf7ea1B1NZHQm4tBAs4oUhxqelCEZ7OLmaSFB2EtEAx8sZW-WaWOWrURra5Ip5wKDBGWeQbM9UgjPhBHxqZrYe03t3FqjwUJwhlYdMfA-6Kg14q-8pbTnF2TB9O-3xS5N4kI2M9

ADVERTISEMENT