ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 PGA Tour Thread

Woodland just gave us the double middle fingers..LOL

Congrats to him on a great round. I think he broke the record with fewest bogeys at the US Open.
Not me. This course was set up for a first time winner. I was thrilled that Koepka made a run. He is the current best player in golf but Woodland finally won with a 54 hole lead. US Open rarely disappoints and this was great. And the USGA finally got the setup right for all 4 days.

Maybe for old timers like you....LOL. To me, Rory’s swing is just more athletic, effortless power.
Please. Boom Boom has the sweetest, most effortless in golf. Add in Ernie Els, The Big Easy, the best non violent swings in golf ever.
Go on YouTube and watch Ben Hogan as well.

Please. Boom Boom has the sweetest, most effortless in golf. Add in Ernie Els, The Big Easy, the best non violent swings in golf ever.
Let me clarify. Rory’s swing is violent but he makes it look easy and smooth because of his balance and rhythm

Let me clarify. Rory’s swing is violent but he makes it look easy and smooth because of his balance and rhythm
He has great balance on standard shots but at times not off the tee. And balance is the key. Never understand why he and others bulk up. He isn't hitting much further but doesn't have that awesome swing he used to have when he burst onto the world of winning. Love watching him play but after a great start in majors...meh
And don't understand DJ in majors

Not me. This course was set up for a first time winner. I was thrilled that Koepka made a run. He is the current best player in golf but Woodland finally won with a 54 hole lead. US Open rarely disappoints and this was great. And the USGA finally got the setup right for all 4 days.
31 players shot under par. That was an AT&T pro am tournament, definitely not a US OPEN. My God, what goes on within that organization? Don't they know what they are? It's supposed to be the most excruciatingly difficult test. Players are supposed to complain about how crazy, difficult it is and it's the USGA's job to say, "Tough, it's a US Open." But they get weak and let Mickelson show them up. Should have DQ'd him last year and told him to stfu.

So now what is the US Open? How is it different than anything else if this is what they chose to be going forward? What's the brand? WHat's the differentiation and significance of the the tournament beyond a different logo being slapped on all the tents? Mike Davis is the single worst executive in the history of sports.

Not to take anything away from Woodland. The guy was rock solid for two days under the most intense pressure. Can't even imagine having to hit that flip, wedge shot on 17, in that situation. Would have skulled it into the pacific.

Sam Snead's swing was the prettiest of them all. No one cracked the whip with the fluidity of that guy. As good as Couples move was at the top, I always felt he was too quiet in the lower body to be considered among the best swings ever. Preferred Davis Love's in that era. King Louie has the best swing, currently.

31 players shot under par. That was an AT&T pro am tournament, definitely not a US OPEN. My God, what goes on within that organization? Don't they know what they are? It's supposed to be the most excruciatingly difficult test. Players are supposed to complain about how crazy, difficult it is and it's the USGA's job to say, "Tough, it's a US Open." But they get weak and let Mickelson show them up. Should have DQ'd him last year and told him to stfu.

So now what is the US Open? How is it different than anything else if this is what they chose to be going forward? What's the brand? WHat's the differentiation and significance of the the tournament beyond a different logo being slapped on all the tents? Mike Davis is the single worst executive in the history of sports.

Not to take anything away from Woodland. The guy was rock solid for two days under the most intense pressure. Can't even imagine having to hit that flip, wedge shot on 17, in that situation. Would have skulled it into the pacific.
I'm not going to fault the USGA at all on this one. This Championship was missing one major component that they have no control over. Wind.
When is there no wind at Pebble 4 days in a row? The happens at TPC and any British Open venue. No wind = low scores.
Besides the first round, no one at the top was making big moves. Yesterday the course gave everyone trouble. I'm not sure of your complaint here. Is it just the final score?? I have no problem with a US Open winner being 10-15 under. By no means does it equate to that course playing easy. And they didn't destroy the course like so many others over the years by burning the course to an unplayable condition.

Sam Snead's swing was the prettiest of them all. No one cracked the whip with the fluidity of that guy. As good as Couples move was at the top, I always felt he was too quiet in the lower body to be considered among the best swings ever. Preferred Davis Love's in that era. King Louie has the best swing, currently.
I won't argue there. One of his great nicknames was Sweet Swinging Sammy Snead.

For you youngsters who think you have to swing out of your shoes check this out.

I'm not going to fault the USGA at all on this one. This Championship was missing one major component that they have no control over. Wind.
When is there no wind at Pebble 4 days in a row? The happens at TPC and any British Open venue. No wind = low scores.
Besides the first round, no one at the top was making big moves. Yesterday the course gave everyone trouble. I'm not sure of your complaint here. Is it just the final score?? I have no problem with a US Open winner being 10-15 under. By no means does it equate to that course playing easy. And they didn't destroy the course like so many others over the years by burning the course to an unplayable condition.
You're right about the wind. It might also be true, as rumored, that Pebble Beach wouldn't let them push green speeds and firmness because it would have extended recovery time and therefore delayed the return to business as usual...the "public" golfers paying $650 a round.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Good read about conditions. Mentions lack of wind among others. Good read.

https://www.golfchannel.com/news/after-years-misses-usga-finally-scores-2019-us-open-pebble-beach
The USGA has made plenty of mistakes but imo, "losing the course" in past Open's, isn't one of them. But there's no one like Sandy Tatum to stand up to the players and the media and say, as he does in the Massacre at Winged Foot in '74 (posted below) when Hale Irwin won at 7 over par, "We're not trying to humiliate the best players, we're trying to find out who they are." -13 under shouldn't win a US Open no matter what the winds do. It's supposed to be a crucible, a slog, a test of endurance, patience...whose the toughest? That said, in Gary Woodland, they identified the best player for the course they set up, so not a disaster, just not my kind of Open I guess.

Reactions: truth_KB
The USGA has made plenty of mistakes but imo, "losing the course" in past Open's, isn't one of them.
You can't be serious. They have lost 3 of the the last 4 before this year. Mike Davis, USGA has admitted as such as early as last year. They destroyed Schinnecock not once but twice. 2004 they completely lost greens before Sunday's round. The most epic failure by the USGA. Admitted by the USGA. If you have to burn out greens and fairways you are not doing your job.
And the course was not set up for the long hitters to win. It was set up for Tiger, Scott and others to be in it. It was set up for Iron shots and putting.

The course was great.

Every year it's the same thing. Complainers. Just play and enjoy watching. It's virtually the same for everyone.

The course was great.

Every year it's the same thing. Complainers. Just play and enjoy watching. It's virtually the same for everyone.

Hit the fairways, hit the greens, and make your putts. Other than when the weather changes it's exactly the same for everyone.

The course was great.

Yes the course was great this year. Set up so all guys could win. Didn't have to be a bomber. The best player won. Stayed out of trouble and hit a boatload of putts. I don't recall any complainers this year. Just the opposite. Lots of praise from everyone. Think the USGA will learn anything from it? Doubt it but one can hope.

Yes the course was great this year. Set up so all guys could win. Didn't have to be a bomber. The best player won. Stayed out of trouble and hit a boatload of putts. I don't recall any complainers this year. Just the opposite. Lots of praise from everyone. Think the USGA will learn anything from it? Doubt it but one can hope.

I'm guessing Winged Foot will have it's way. Since the US Open went to 4 days instead of 36 on Saturday, only 2 players have shot under Par the 3 times Winged Foot has hosted.

Ever been there Bus?

I'm guessing Winged Foot will have it's way. Since the US Open went to 4 days instead of 36 on Saturday, only 2 players have shot under Par the 3 times Winged Foot has hosted.

Ever been there Bus?
Yes. My favorite venue. Love the place. Played it once in 1983. It got the best of me but I didn't care.
My brother in law are going to buy the full week package. Sell Saturday and Sunday. Go to a practice round and one of Thursday or Friday and give the rest to our brothers.

Yes. My favorite venue. Love the place. Played it once in 1983. It got the best of me but I didn't care.
My brother in law are going to buy the full week package. Sell Saturday and Sunday. Go to a practice round and one of Thursday or Friday and give the rest to our brothers.

Sounds like a great deal.

I like this fun fact about Winged Foot. In the 1923 Open Bobby Jones made a long putt on the 72nd hole to force an 18 hole playoff the next day. Jones squeezed out a victory, only winning by 23 strokes!

EDIT: It opened in 1923, the Open was 1929.

Last edited:
Woodland is a bomber.

Yes. That is my point. The course was set up for short hitters but he still won. That course was set up for Tiger, Kucher, Adams...
Not sure the leaderboard agrees with you that it was setup for short hitters. Woodland, Koepka, Rahm, Rose and Schauffele.

Lol. Scott. My phone added the s. Nice catch
It seems like the Travelers is attracting a decent field the week after a west coast major. What is the attraction? Sure ain't Hartford. Is it the course?

Not sure the leaderboard agrees with you that it was setup for short hitters. Woodland, Koepka, Rahm, Rose and Schauffele.
Rose isnt a bomber. He is ranked 53rd in driving distance.
Others in the top 10 for the Open.
Scott 69th
Hadley 72nd
Oosthuzen 115th
Reavie 177th
Stenson 189th.
The short hitters do very well with the setup

It seems like the Travelers is attracting a decent field the week after a west coast major. What is the attraction? Sure ain't Hartford. Is it the course?
The former Hartford Open has always done well. Similar to the former Manufacturers Hanover in Westchester NY. And that was played right before the Open. The North East loves golf and supports it well. Guessing there are $$ opportunities for them off the course this week.

Reactions: wisr01
The former Hartford Open has always done well. Similar to the former Manufacturers Hanover in Westchester NY. And that was played right before the Open. The North East loves golf and supports it well. Guessing there are $$ opportunities for them off the course this week.

Kind of surprised Phil would come east after an Open in Cali. A number of other "names" like Koepka and Spieth play just about every week anyway. Bubba has had success there.

I don't doubt there were some appearance fees handed out.

Kind of surprised Phil would come east after an Open in Cali. A number of other "names" like Koepka and Spieth play just about every week anyway. Bubba has had success there.

I don't doubt there were some appearance fees handed out.
Not appearance fees but sponsors that are based in the NY metro area.

You can't be serious. They have lost 3 of the the last 4 before this year. Mike Davis, USGA has admitted as such as early as last year. They destroyed Schinnecock not once but twice. 2004 they completely lost greens before Sunday's round. The most epic failure by the USGA. Admitted by the USGA. If you have to burn out greens and fairways you are not doing your job.
And the course was not set up for the long hitters to win. It was set up for Tiger, Scott and others to be in it. It was set up for Iron shots and putting.
"Destroyed Shinnecock?" That's ridiculous. The players whined to the media about greens being too fast and pin positions being unfair and Mike Davis didn't stand up for the brand of the US Open and tell them, "too bad." Instead, he caved and gave us -13 under at Pebble with Gary Woodland as the champion. Hardly worth praise. Completely off brand for a US Open. Hardly like a US Open at all.

The Connecticut tourney has great organizers who go out of their way for not just the players but their wives and kids...provide all sorts of day care support, travel arrangements, accommodations and generally make it as easy and pleasant as possible to show up and play. the players rave about it and the level of service has been credited for the healthy participation. Lefty hasn't been there since 2003. But he's won twice on that course and probably thought about the success and took another crack at it.

Played today with a buddy who invited his friend from Oklahoma and a mini tour player. I get paired with the 2 handicap from Oklahoma and my buddy gets the mini tour player on a ball toss. The mini tour player shoots 69 and the oklahoman shoots 88! Is it even possible for a two handicap to shoot 88 on a soft golf course with no wind? I lost $70 on the match. It was fun watching the mini tour player hit the golf ball. At one point, I birdied a par five with a stroke and got only a push! Kid drained a 20 footer for a three. Different game for those with real talent.

So glad to watch Steve Stricker win the Senior US Open. He is a class act and a real Nice guy. One for the good guys.

Freddy is #1 by far. I thought Hogan ripped it - but I wasn't around to watch him like you were. LOL

My all-time favorite ball striker was Nick Price. If you ever got a chance to see him iron shots you would know why. Dude was best ball striker in the 1990's and when he finally started to putt average he won often and ascended to #1. Also a super nice guy.

What a weekend for golf. Rahm with a great round to win the Irish Open and the most exciting finish this year at the 3M. Love those unorthodox swings.

What a weekend for golf. Rahm with a great round to win the Irish Open and the most exciting finish this year at the 3M. Love those unorthodox swings.
I thought that dude’s swing was a joke. I had to slow mo it. Like most every golfer, once they start the down swing, they all look fairly similar. But man, he gets there in a crazy way. It looks like Charles Barkley’s swing.

What a finish to that tourney though.

Last major starts tomorrow and not a peep about it here. I don't if Justin Rose is correct about the schedule but I have lost some interest this year. I used to watch every tournament...not so much this year.

So who do you guys like this week? I am pulling for Fowler to finally get one.

ADVERTISEMENT