ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 PGA Tour Thread

Our foursome left the flag in all day and it made things a lot easier. Definitely sped up play on the greens. I had three birdies today and all of them were putted with the flag in including a four footer.

Nice.

Reactions: Knightmoves
And making them too. It is so weird seeing them do that.
They don't need research on it. I have played a couple hundred rounds by myself over the last thirty years. Each time I have never removed the flag... could never be bothered (yes it was illegal). It is better than taking it out so Justin Thomas can kiss my ass.

Reactions: Section124
They don't need research on it. I have played a couple hundred rounds by myself over the last thirty years. Each time I have never removed the flag... could never be bothered (yes it was illegal). It is better than taking it out so Justin Thomas can kiss my ass.
I’ve done the same. I play a lot down in Hilton Head in the summers and usually play alone first tee time. Always left the PIN in and it’s a no brained. I will do so up here as well. My wife is on the board of directors for the Womems golf association here in NJ. I have been encouraging her to make it mandatory for the beginner leagues.

Pin in, dropping from the knees, and grounding/loose impediments in a hazard is dumb.

USGA should focus on not embarrassing themselves at a US Open.

Reactions: superfan01
Just just hearing the sound of the ball dropping in that little tin cup can be pretty cathartic. Do you really want to eliminate that?

Played 9 today after a lesson and hitting the range. Not sure why you wouldn't leave the pin in. It's a no brainer.

Seems like it makes sense for most amateurs to leave the pin in. I will try it in our group next round. Some will like it, some will not imo.

Will save time as opposed to the current handling of the pin by multiple players.

Played 9 today after a lesson and hitting the range. Not sure why you wouldn't leave the pin in. It's a no brainer.

Agree - unless it's one of those real thick ones you occasionally see. Or you're putting into a strong wind and the pin is bending towards you. Otherwise leave it.

Just just hearing the sound of the ball dropping in that little tin cup can be pretty cathartic. Do you really want to eliminate that?

Then don't pull it. It's not being eliminated.

Last edited:
Agree - unless it's one of those real thick ones you occasionally see. Or you're putting into a strong wind and the pin is bending towards you. Otherwise leave it.

My club's pins are pretty standard thickness I think, but they are shorter. It makes the greens look smaller. They are tough enough.

I’ve done the same. I play a lot down in Hilton Head in the summers and usually play alone first tee time. Always left the PIN in and it’s a no brained. I will do so up here as well. My wife is on the board of directors for the Womems golf association here in NJ. I have been encouraging her to make it mandatory for the beginner leagues.
I've played many rounds as a single, since I'd often start either very early or late when less people are around, and always left the pin in when I was on my own - it's just faster/easier and doesn't really affect anything 99% of the time. If everyone keeps the pin in, it'll definitely speed play, although the biggest way to do that is to play "ready golf" where people all go to their shots in parallel rather than all waiting around to watch the furthest person out make their shot and then going to their ball - and the other thing is anyone taking more than 30 seconds to look at their putting line should be beat about the head with a sand wedge (and they should be doing that while others are putting).

Or join a real club. Pace of play is never an issue. They aren't squeezing in 200 golfers a day.

That is something to be jealous about. One day I will get there.
Probably my favorite course I ever played. Played there in the early 90s on a 2-week trip to SD, then up the PCH, then SF. This was back when I was a decent golfer (7-8 handicap) and I was even par through 7 from the back tees. I then was humbled by 8-9-10 along the coast, shooting 9 over for those 3, without really hitting a bad shot - they had had a drought and 2 of my drives were perfectly down the right-center, but just rolled off the fairway into the rocks or water. Ended up with an 87, iirc. But what a gorgeous setting and course - used a whole roll of film during the round.

Reactions: wisr01
Lol... you get what you've asked for here.

It's actually good advice though. Maybe people don't know. Doesn't seem like you do. You claim to like golf, but advocate for cargos and waiting. There is a much better option.

Montclair greens are ridiculously fast.
If you’re above the pin, at times you can putt your ball right off the green if your speed isn’t perfect.
I always made sure my opponent never had the opportunity of letting the stick save him from putting off the green...no more.

Montclair greens are ridiculously fast.
If you’re above the pin, at times you can putt your ball right off the green if your speed isn’t perfect.
I always made sure my opponent never had the opportunity of letting the stick save him from putting off the green...no more.

what do they typically run at on the stint meter?

It's actually good advice though. Maybe people don't know. Doesn't seem like you do. You claim to like golf, but advocate for cargos and waiting. There is a much better option.

This thread didn't have any of that crap in it until you made your ultra-smarmy post. I've played more golf than you'll likely ever play and have played many clubs, but never chose to belong to one, since I liked the variety of playing all over the place (and never liked douchy people like you who seem to predominate at clubs). And when I was playing a ton of golf all through my 20s and early 30s, I couldn't really justify the cost of a club.

I may revisit that decision soon, in retirement, as money isn't an issue and I'll have a lot more free time, plus I now have a few friends at clubs that I didn't have when I was younger and playing a lot. I've also played more than a few rounds at clubs where pace of play was an issue (not as bad as public courses, but still slow), as it only takes a couple of slow foursomes to mess the pace up for everyone.

And "stint meter" was priceless. All part of the reason 90% of the people in these golf threads give you crap about not knowing anything about golf (especially your moronic Tiger posts). Nouveau golfers are the worst...

The cargos are ok but I draw the line at the wife beater tee shirts, open toed shoes and cutoff jeans. Not sure if #’s subscribes to these golf fashions.

Reactions: Caliknight
Ok cargo short course guy. I've never pretended to be a life time golfer. I just started playing a couple of years ago. Ill be better than you in 6 months more time.

Awful uppity for a guy who wear sleeveless shirts on muni courses.

Reactions: superfan01
Ok cargo short course guy. I've never pretended to be a life time golfer. I just started playing a couple of years ago. Ill be better than you in 6 months more time.

Awful uppity for a guy who wear sleeveless shirts on muni courses.

Are you saying you'll be better than a 7-8 handicap, which is what I was for about 10 years (and assume I can get back to if I ever start playing regularly again)? If so, congrats - the average handicap for players that maintain handicaps is about 15 (and most players don't maintain handicaps and actually shoot worse than that), so you'd be doing quite well to do better than a 7-8. If not, who really cares, as long as you're enjoying yourself?

The cargos are ok but I draw the line at the wife beater tee shirts, open toed shoes and cutoff jeans. Not sure if #’s subscribes to these golf fashions.

I play in cargos unless the course forbids. Must have a collar though - anything else is BS - yeah even if you're Tiger wearing those BS mock turtle neck shirts

Are you saying you'll be better than a 7-8 handicap, which is what I was for about 10 years (and assume I can get back to if I ever start playing regularly again)? If so, congrats - the average handicap for players that maintain handicaps is about 15 (and most players don't maintain handicaps and actually shoot worse than that), so you'd be doing quite well to do better than a 7-8. If not, who really cares, as long as you're enjoying yourself?

I am saying in 6 months I will have a lower index that you have right now, if I don't already. I've been playing for 2 years. Where are you?

Most players don't track their index? Everyone I know who plays at my club has an index. In fact, you have to have one.

I am saying in 6 months I will have a lower index that you have right now, if I don't already. I've been playing for 2 years. Where are you?

Most players don't track their index? Everyone I know who plays at my club has an index. In fact, you have to have one.
Give me 3 months and I'll take you on. In fact I'll take anyone on over 40. Going to have free time this coming summer looking to get back to competitive golf. Targeting an event in Saratoga that I won 20+ years ago.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT