ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 PGA Tour Thread

Jordan Spieth's issues are mental. I heard him griping at the start of his round about not getting at least 5 mins on the range prior to final round. He came unglued and shot 81. Worst round of his career.

Reactions: WhiteBus
I went to a Web.com tourney this am at Lakewood National in Bradenton FL. Followed an early group incldg Angel Cabrera, Ricky Barnes and Scott Harrington. Cabrera played poorly, shooting +8 while the others shot -5. Cabrera looked pretty rusty and unhappy. Will be surprised if he plays tomorrow. Mike Weir and Boo Weekley are also playing.

The group ahead of them included a club pro from TPC Treviso Bay in Naples. For those that saw Tin Cup w Kevin Costner, this kid had a similar experience. After making bogey on 1, he proceeds to hit 6 consecutive shots into the water from the tee on the par 4 number 2 before carding a 17 on the hole. That put him +14 after two holes.

I watched the whole thing as it happened. After his initial drop on the front of the tee box he alternated between using an iron and a rescue club. Every shot was a low duck hook that didn’t travel more than 50 yards before getting dunked in the water again. The poor kid looked like he was in shock. The good news is that there was no video of it. He ended up 54-37-91 +19 for the 1st round.

My first web.com event. 144 tournament spots. They had 2 Monday qualifiers this week for where 280 competed for 12 spots. That’s 424 golfers competing to get in/already in for the event. Web.com is returning here the next 5 years.

“Five years from now nobody will remember who won or lost, but they’re gonna remember your 12!”

Quote came true.
Would you have posted about the event if the kid didn't card thst 17?

Yes. Especially Scott. Who has a putting problem. Will enjoy if he can hold it together in a long pressure day. Phil did last week but I'm not betting it will happen two weeks in a row. But it should be an entertaining day.
So I called it about Scott. His putting was dreadful today.
But I was wrong about an entertaining day. Some really suspect golf on the best weather day of the week

Yea. He finished 10th or something. Like I said, he's just one of the guys now. Nothing to be ashamed of. Bets are made let's see what happens.

Yea. He finished 10th or something. Like I said, he's just one of the guys now. Nothing to be ashamed of. Bets are made let's see what happens.
So ignore your dumb comment that he was playing worse today than others when in fact he gained major strokes on the leaders. Your hatred is undeniable

No hatred. I don't even know him. Smarmy dude by all accounts, but whatever. It's about golf. 10th place, or was it worse? Many guys have his game or better now. Just how it is.

Why are you such a fanboy? did you watch in a red shirt and black pants today?

Reactions: Section124
No hatred. I don't even know him. Smarmy dude by all accounts, but whatever. It's about golf. 10th place, or was it worse? Many guys have his game or better now. Just how it is.

Why are you such a fanboy? did you watch in a red shirt and black pants today?
You have a bad memory. I said he would never win again long before you did. You jumped on my bandwagon

Poor job by #s. Too focused on the impending snow/sleet/rain event around here that he missed the sleet event that actually took place today at Pebble Beach. Greens were covered. Play has been delayed until 4pm EST.
Guilty as charged, lol. When we have a major winter event here, I definitely stop paying attention to everything else. Only saw a few minutes of the Pebble Beach event (which I love - favorite course I ever played), but did see a clip of the hail (not sleet, for the record) - wild stuff.

“Five years from now nobody will remember who won or lost, but they’re gonna remember your 12!”

Quote came true.
Would you have posted about the event if the kid didn't card thst 17?

Yes. I went to the tournament to watch some of the established players like Cabrera, Ricky Barnes, Weir and a few others. The kid who made the 17 was in the group ahead of the one I was following and I just happened to see his mishap from the tee. Notice I never mentioned his name in my post. I felt sorry for him. He looks like a nice kid.

The young player that impressed me was Maverick McNealy, son of Scott McNealy who founded Sun Microsystems and was an early Silicon Valley tech leader along with Steve Jobs and a few others. Maverick finished 2nd in the tournament and could be moving up to the big tour next season. Incredibly long off the tee, looks like he has a complete game. Played for Stanford in college and broke Tiger Woods record for most wins there.

Guilty as charged, lol. When we have a major winter event here, I definitely stop paying attention to everything else. Only saw a few minutes of the Pebble Beach event (which I love - favorite course I ever played), but did see a clip of the hail (not sleet, for the record) - wild stuff.
Wait? Define "major winter event here". Bar is way too low this year.

Yes. I went to the tournament to watch some of the established players like Cabrera, Ricky Barnes, Weir and a few others. The kid who made the 17 was in the group ahead of the one I was following and I just happened to see his mishap from the tee. Notice I never mentioned his name in my post. I felt sorry for him. He looks like a nice kid.

The young player that impressed me was Maverick McNealy, son of Scott McNealy who founded Sun Microsystems and was an early Silicon Valley tech leader along with Steve Jobs and a few others. Maverick finished 2nd in the tournament and could be moving up to the big tour next season. Incredibly long off the tee, looks like he has a complete game. Played for Stanford in college and broke Tiger Woods record for most wins there.

In Woods' defense, wasn't he there for like a year?

Disappointed with JT’s play. These young guns need to learn how to close. Go middle age guys!!!!!

In Woods' defense, wasn't he there for like a year?

Looks like he played golf at Stanford for two years until 1996 before turning pro. Impressive that it took 20 years before another player equaled Tigers wins at Stanford.

Keep an eye on this McNealy kid.

I watched Bryson Dechambeau win the NCAA individual championship in FL a few years ago and think that McNealy has similar potential.

Wait? Define "major winter event here". Bar is way too low this year.

2/12 was our 2nd biggest storm of the season. About 4-5" worth of "snow equivalent" fell at my house (snow and sleet), so maybe not "major" but certainly significant in my book and probably major for this year, relatively speaking.

Not a great start at the WGC for Phil and Tiger. Phil +3 after 4 and Tiger OB'd his drive on the short Par 4 #1. Provisional with a fairway wood also way left but appeared to stay IB. 4 shots and hasn't reached the green.

Rory’s 2 on hole 1 was amazing. He almost had a hole in one on a par 4. 2 iron on a 305 yds par 4, just unreal.

Reactions: knightfan7
sorry to hijack the thread. I'm going to be in LA for a business trip and want to get a round of golf in. Anyone ever played Angeles national golf club or Rancho Park? Angeles looks like the better course but I'm a little worry about traffic getting out there from Beverly Hills or DT LA. Rancho easier to get to but less scenic. @Caliknight?

sorry to hijack the thread. I'm going to be in LA for a business trip and want to get a round of golf in. Anyone ever played Angeles national golf club or Rancho Park? Angeles looks like the better course but I'm a little worry about traffic getting out there from Beverly Hills or DT LA. Rancho easier to get to but less scenic. @Caliknight?

Angeles is a decent track. Rancho is a 5 hour round. When are you coming? My club is in Pasadena. I will host you if the timing works out.

Angeles is a decent track. Rancho is a 5 hour round. When are you coming? My club is in Pasadena. I will host you if the timing works out.
appreciate the offer. My plans are not set yet but I'm thinking fly in 3/3 and leaving on 3/5. Golf on Sunday (3/3) around noon? No worries if that time doesn't work.

My game is already knocked off.

J- I am in San Diego at the end of next week, not sure when I was coming back. Stay tuned, I'll let you know.

Reactions: jtung230
A Sunday round? Make sure to wear black pants and a red shirt. It will knock @Caliknight off his game!! [banana]
I played 3 rounds in Miami in Jan. My drinking game is in midseason form. The cart girl was very impressed with how fast I was putting back double transfusions. Golf game needs a lot of work.

Reactions: WhiteBus
My game is already knocked off.

J- I am in San Diego at the end of next week, not sure when I was coming back. Stay tuned, I'll let you know.
sounds good. I'll let you know when I finalized my plans. If golf doesn't work, lets grab a drink. Always good to meet fellow RU grads

Reactions: Caliknight
Tiger now in the top ten down in Mexico. I still think he gets back to number one. He hasn't quite dialed in the "A" game but you see him lurking with the "B" and "C" game. He'll find it, he's Tiger Woods, winner of 80 PGA Tournaments.

I have to give Tiger credit. Did anyone see that 9 iron from the bunker? Crazy finish. I wouldn't even call it a fade. It was a slice around a tree onto the green and did a right turn toward the hole. Incredible shot.

Tiger now in the top ten down in Mexico. I still think he gets back to number one. He hasn't quite dialed in the "A" game but you see him lurking with the "B" and "C" game. He'll find it, he's Tiger Woods, winner of 80 PGA Tournaments.
I don’t think he will play enough tournaments or have a high enough winning percentage to reach #1. He’ll win and have a lot of top 10 finishes.

I have to give Tiger credit. Did anyone see that 9 iron from the bunker? Crazy finish. I wouldn't even call it a fade. It was a slice around a tree onto the green and did a right turn toward the hole. Incredible shot.
Great golf so far. Rory hitting the green off the tee on 2 par 4s. Fun to watch the risk/reward. It’ll be a finish on Sunday.

I don’t think he will play enough tournaments or have a high enough winning percentage to reach #1. He’ll win and have a lot of top 10 finishes.

He's definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, starting this season way, way in front of where he was at this time last year. Can he dial it in further? I've been observing his game and it's just getting tighter and tighter.

He'll play enough that if he wins four or five times, he'll be number one.

He's definitely, without a shadow of a doubt, starting this season way, way in front of where he was at this time last year. Can he dial it in further? I've been observing his game and it's just getting tighter and tighter.

No he won't become #1 This year no matter how well he plays. World rankings are based off 2 years of play.

Reactions: jtung230

Agree with you on his game but being number 1 again isn’t high on his list. Winning majors and chasing down Jack and Snead is.

Great golf so far. Rory hitting the green off the tee on 2 par 4s. Fun to watch the risk/reward. It’ll be a finish on Sunday.

Tommy Fleetwood starting Eagle - Eagle, as Cali mentioned Tigers shot from the trap on his 18th, Phil going 79-65, DJ playing well, and Rory tearing it up. On the other hand you have Fowler's brain fart drop. Fun tourney so far.

And best of all it's not 45 degrees and raining.

The msg board jinx still works. That was some ugly golf. LOL. I’ll pull for Rory since he has been in a drought.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT