ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2019 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

Knight Shift

Legend
May 19, 2011
Jersey Shore
16 Nominees on the ballot:
  • Pat Benatar -- Absolutely, and Neil Geraldo is listed too.
  • Dave Matthews Band--Not yet
  • Depeche Mode--Maybe
  • The Doobie Brothers--Definitely--why are they not in yet?
  • Whitney Houston--Not rock, but she will get in.
  • Judas Priest--It is a crime they are not in yet
  • Kraftwerk--No
  • MC5--100% yes
  • Motörhead--Another crime they are not in yet
  • Nine Inch Nails-- Yes, please
  • The Notorious B.I.G.--Umm, no way
  • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan- will get in, but others more deserving
  • Todd Rundgren--Should have been in already
  • Soundgarden--Yes, please
  • T. Rex--Should have been in a long time ago
  • Thin Lizzy--Shocked they are not in yet.

Last edited:
The Rock and Roll HoF is so odd. Some groups are in basically because of one song, others are not in that have about 5 Greatest Hits albums aren't (Chicago).

I kind of feel like for the HoF, I should have at least heard of the group and maybe identify or know a few of their songs. Have no idea who Kraftwerk and MC5 are...

The Rock and Roll HoF is so odd. Some groups are in basically because of one song, others are not in that have about 5 Greatest Hits albums aren't (Chicago).

I kind of feel like for the HoF, I should have at least heard of the group and maybe identify or know a few of their songs. Have no idea who Kraftwerk and MC5 are...

Wait...

Chicago isn't in the HoF?

That's friggin' ridiculous. Like them or not, they were innovative, talented and wildly successful. And is there anyone alive who was a teenager in the 70s who didn't get their first serious action while listening to this album?

ChicagoIXcover.jpg

Have no idea who Kraftwerk and MC5 are...

Kraftwerk is/was a group from Germany that invented electronic dance music, they are the father/mother of all EDM. You most likely heard their music before without knowing who they were. It has been used in so many TV ads and movies that I don't think it is possible for anyone not to have heard some of their work.

MC5 was a rock group from Detroit that was around for half a second but are considered one of the founding fathers of Punk Rock.

MC5 are legends and highly influential on a lot of rock artists. Wayne Kramer is a guitar god.

Reactions: Vlife
Kraftwerk is/was a group from Germany that invented electronic dance music, they are the father/mother of all EDM. You most likely heard their music before without knowing who they were. It has been used in so many TV ads and movies that I don't think it is possible for anyone not to have heard some of their work.

MC5 was a rock group from Detroit that was around for half a second but are considered one of the founding fathers of Punk Rock.
You are usually right on music, but "half a second" on MC5? C'mon.

They only out out 3 releases. Only the 1st one has legendary status. The other two bombed then they broke up. But that 1st album though, is pure fire!
Yeah, the truth lies somewhere between. That clip I posted above--if that does not make you want to run through a wall . . . Should be entrance music for the football team.

Yeah, the truth lies somewhere between. That clip I posted above--if that does not make you want to run through a wall . . . Should be entrance music for the football team.

That 1st album is something else, and it influenced thousands of bands, that is what makes them worthy of the HOF. But I also understand why many have no idea who they are.

Reactions: Knight Shift
If they let Harold Baines in all should get in. Oh wait. Wrong venue. Sorry. MC5 ,Nine inch nails and Depeche Mode. Please?

well, you call all vote here: https://www.rockhall.com/

Is there a place in the Rock and Roll HOF for the One Hit Wonder groups ? for which their hit song is etched in our minds for eternity.

no, no specific place. MrScrew Spent a day in Cleveland on our way to Ann Arbor a few years ago. The HOF is odd...you walk thru it and constantly ask yourself "why the heck is he/she/they in the HOF"

here's a map of every floor: https://www.rockhall.com/exhibitguide

well, you call all vote here: https://www.rockhall.com/

no, no specific place. MrScrew Spent a day in Cleveland on our way to Ann Arbor a few years ago. The HOF is odd...you walk thru it and constantly ask yourself "why the heck is he/she/they in the HOF"

here's a map of every floor: https://www.rockhall.com/exhibitguide

Cause Jann Wenner is an elitist snob and a jerk. He hated hard rock and heavy metal. Yet, a bunch of pop artists are in the HOF.

I mean no matter what you feel about them, Dave Matthews Band should have been first ballot hall of famers and went in with the last class. Far too successful and influential to not be in.

Motorhead and Judas Priest should be in, but it will take all of Metallica's Lars Ulrich's politicking to get them in (he's why Rush and Deep Purple are in).

• Depeche Mode--Maybe
  • Kraftwerk--No
  • MC5--100% yes

Was just chit-chatting with Matt Pinfield and based on his FB posts I'm guessing he votes for Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, MC5, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden, although maybe one of Pat Benatar, T.Rex, Thin Lizzy or Todd Rundgren over one of either the MC5 or Depeche Mode. Like most I know, he doesn't really consider Whitney Houston to be rock and roll (amazing voice and entertainer, but not R&R), but does consider hip-hop to be part of R&R. For whatever that's worth.

If I had to pick 5, I'd go with Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and Thin Lizzy or T. Rex. I get the "influence" angle of the MC5 and Kraftwerk, but I'm just not that big of a fan of either. If one could include production, Todd Rundgren's combo of music he's made and produced would make him a lock.

The odd thing for me is there's not one artist on this list, who is a big favorite of mine. I like the ones I said I'd vote for, but none of them is probably in my top 100 all-time artists. In most years, there's at least 1-2 artists I truly love, like the Cure last year.

Last edited:
They are just going to put everybody up eventually now that rock has rolled

Was just chit-chatting with Matt Pinfield and based on his FB posts I'm guessing he votes for Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, MC5, Nine Inch Nails and Soundgarden, although maybe one of Pat Benatar, T.Rex, Thin Lizzy or Todd Rundgren over one of either the MC5 or Depeche Mode. Like most I know, he doesn't really consider Whitney Houston to be rock and roll (amazing voice and entertainer, but not R&R), but does consider hip-hop to be part of R&R. For whatever that's worth.

If I had to pick 5, I'd go with Depeche Mode, Judas Priest, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden and Thin Lizzy or T. Rex. I get the "influence" angle of the MC5 and Kraftwerk, but I'm just not that big of a fan of either. If one could include production, Todd Rundgren's combo of music he's made and produced would make him a lock.

Matt's the man! He looks great after dropping a bunch of weight. I like your list a lot. Agree on MC5 and Kraftwerk. Thought there was a category of "influencers," but maybe I am mistaken. Totally agree on Todd Rundgren.

This is a really tough group of 16 (after kicking out Whitney and Notorious BIG) for me to select 5.

I am going to put my huge fandom of Soundgarden and NIN aside for a moment.

I am not much of a Judas Priest fan, but you cannot deny their contributions and influence in the metal genre, like it or not. So that's one of my five.

Motorhead--another band I am not a huge fan of, and while they did not sell tons of records, their influence in indisputable. Caught them live at a small club in Wilmington, NC in 1991, and they were fantastic. And Lemmy is god. Two.

Thin Lizzy and the Doobie Brothers are long overdue. They are three and four.

Soundgarden is my fifth, if not my first. Listened to Badmotorfinger on my commute this morning. It's a great album from start to finish. Their other albums are solid. It's a shame they had a hiatus. I caught them live before and after the hiatus, and they were much better after the hiatus. Chris Cornell was one of the top 5 rock vocalists of all time. The range and power of his voice is incredible.

Reactions: RutgersMO
I went there in 1995 on a Hall of Fame Tour following our game at Duke,hitting up Canton,Cleveland,and Toronto.Only the last one had no mention of the soon to be freed killer ,Heisman Homicide.

• Pat Benatar
  • Dave Matthews Band
  • The Doobie Brothers
  • Whitney Houston
  • Soundgarden
Personally would go with Thin Lizzy over Whitney, but there is no way she's not getting in.

What's wrong with Pat Benatar? Four consecutive best female rock vocalist Grammys in a row. I'm not really a fan one way or the other, but not a bad record.

• Depeche Mode--Maybe
  • Kraftwerk--No
  • MC5--100% yes

Benetar most definity...she should be in already

Dave Matthews Band..no but could win popular vote

Depeche Mode...most definitely easily....they influenced just about everything in new wave and electronic music

Doobie Brothers...no..just bland

Whitney...will get in because they are allowing pop culture

Judas Priest..not this year

Kraftwerk..again like Depeche Mode influence is huge but not known enough in Us

Mc5...no sorry most have not even heard of

Motorhead...no

NIN....possible this year but eventually

Rufus..no, one hit wonder

Todd Rundgren..yes..and will get the old fogey vote

Soundgarden..not yet and I love this group

T Rex...no

Thin Lizzy...no