ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

Or maybe I'm not a good listener--I could have misheard him. My post summoned him to my yard. Guy is out their now on his ride-on scooter thing dropping hairy bittercress bombs and hopefully some nutrients. My POA is dying a slow death, and I am good with that.
I’m assuming your Poa annua is dying, which is good as it is generally considered an undesirable grassy weed. If you found a good way to eradicate Poa trivialis you’re going to be rich in no time! Poa pratensis is Kentucky Bluegrass, which you’d want (unless you have a monoculture lawn of something else!)

Reactions: Knight Shift
I’m assuming your Poa annua is dying, which is good as it is generally considered an undesirable grassy weed. If you found a good way to eradicate Poa trivialis you’re going to be rich in no time! Poa pratensis is Kentucky Bluegrass, which you’d want (unless you have a monoculture lawn of something else!)
I'm pretty sure it is POA trivialis. I have decide to focus on an overcrowded landscaping bed to take my attention off the lawn. Been transplanting small trees and bushes that were fighting for space. But that's a totally different thread and skill set.

TLC does not operate in NY State according to their web site.

Thanks anyway.

I do admit I am lazy about lawn care, but I have an excuse. I am allergic to many types of grasses/weeds. Plus one summer job I had was mowing with a push mower around the trees on the campus of Manlius that the gang mowers missed. Monday I would start at one end of the campus, sneeze my way down to the other end by Friday and Monday start at the start again. I had a great tan from the belt line up, except where the bandanna was across my nose drippings.

Went out and bought some lime for my lawn expecting a soaker this coming sunday but it seems to have broken up and the bulk of the moisture will miss central Delaware. It's been really dry lately....

So the Moss Out has decent results. You can see the line where treatment ended in this photo, on the left side is the brown dead moss:

0ZdNNDj.jpg

Reactions: rurichdog
Can you guys help me identify what this is? Looks like grass but grows crazy high so thinking its a weed. What should I do? Kill with Roundup and re-seed? Just have a few of these patches along edge of property line where its always wet.

ACtC-3dgnbj68Of76LxpTNgZPC3PouoAQw2Z9XP992qrsuNCZ0yvjEGE5qH5SztskAtekJ-7afvPFsNj25mstwnr1gcht0UwXJWvQiO9NC_H7EBgL2RiCZuuSycBybHrJyrJOo3z-0Wj6P66OCtB6m3nbx8z5g=w1204-h903-no

ACtC-3cyUkiEbiydJNSG-ZuIwQRBDP6vbNujIA9KSgmgEulT31IVgDCXI0YZDfVx_qmmyRIbWhxsLO9g5SpdDgRIflMGNdsKhVglqC_fxAgLIU24ihEssVrXITzabCeXya1gwegqqYRyEdNIC7ADFVF2HpClzQ=w1204-h903-no

Can you guys help me identify what this is? Looks like grass but grows crazy high so thinking its a weed. What should I do? Kill with Roundup and re-seed? Just have a few of these patches along edge of property line where its always wet.

ACtC-3dgnbj68Of76LxpTNgZPC3PouoAQw2Z9XP992qrsuNCZ0yvjEGE5qH5SztskAtekJ-7afvPFsNj25mstwnr1gcht0UwXJWvQiO9NC_H7EBgL2RiCZuuSycBybHrJyrJOo3z-0Wj6P66OCtB6m3nbx8z5g=w1204-h903-no

ACtC-3cyUkiEbiydJNSG-ZuIwQRBDP6vbNujIA9KSgmgEulT31IVgDCXI0YZDfVx_qmmyRIbWhxsLO9g5SpdDgRIflMGNdsKhVglqC_fxAgLIU24ihEssVrXITzabCeXya1gwegqqYRyEdNIC7ADFVF2HpClzQ=w1204-h903-no
Looks like the evil Poa trivialis...anyone else want to wager a guess?

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
Looks like the evil Poa trivialis...anyone else want to wager a guess?
My guess is that RUrichdog is correct, as usual. Poa trivialis is extremely difficult to control. Some have had some success with multiple applications of Mesotrione or Certainty. Poacure is a product for use in sod farms and golf courses (not residential) which is very promising but not available for home owners. You could use roundup or dig it up but it’s a rough battle. Broad leaf weeds are easy, grassy weeds such as Poa trivialis are much harder to control.

My guess is that RUrichdog is correct, as usual. Poa trivialis is extremely difficult to control. Some have had some success with multiple applications of Mesotrione or Certainty. Poacure is a product for use in sod farms and golf courses (not residential) which is very promising but not available for home owners. You could use roundup or dig it up but it’s a rough battle. Broad leaf weeds are easy, grassy weeds such as Poa trivialis are much harder to control.
From personal experience, I have to warn @saltpepperketchup to be VERY carfeful with Roundup. My lawn is still suffering from the holes of nothing growing after carefully hitting POA with Roundup. It's a cool season grass and will die off soon (if it ever gets warm).

From personal experience, I have to warn @saltpepperketchup to be VERY carfeful with Roundup. My lawn is still suffering from the holes of nothing growing after carefully hitting POA with Roundup. It's a cool season grass and will die off soon (if it ever gets warm).
Thanks guys. Yes I have seen it die off when it gets warm but each year it's getting worse. So thinking I should kill now in spring, seems to be what is suggested. Then seed in a week or two. Why wouldn't seeding or sod in the bare spots start to fill it back in with grass.

Yes, Roundup is a non-selective herbicide, which means it will kill whatever it contacts including the grass you want to maintain.So you don’t use a non selective herbicide unless you are okay with killing everything where you sprayed. “Selective herbicides” kills certain grasses and weeds but not your desired species in you lawn. So don’t use roundup unless you are okay will killing everything in the part of the lawn to which it was was applied. Poa trivialis is a cool season grass that goes dormant in the summer but comes roaring back the following year. It is not easily killed or controlled.

As I’ve written, Poa is a genus of species that include hundreds of type or grasses including desirable species (Kentucky blue grass) as well as generally undesirable species such as Poa annua and Poa Trivialis. Using the term “Poa” itself can lead to misunderstanding.

I am allergic to many types of grasses/weeds. Monday I would start at one end of the campus, sneeze my way down to the other end by Friday and Monday start at the start again. s.
You must have Thanked God that Syracuse had an artificial field.

Those plastic fields were few and far between in my day.

The Carrier Dome was built well past my 'glory days' in the rain and snow.

We used to chew gum during away games and force the chewed remains deep into the plastic on the field of the home team.

• Haha
My ph levels was around 5.4 so I put some lime down on Wednesday before yesterdays rain. I used 3 40pound bags. It said to put the spreader setting at 2-3 but I put it on 5 wanting to get down a decent amount. I've always heard winter was the best time to spread lime but i'm not waiting until December for this lol. From everything i've read i shouldn't have a problem putting down my weed & feed 1st week of May after applying lime. Wondering if it'll be a good idea to put down another application in late september after i aerate the lawn???

Last edited:
Sprayed the lawn with this today. Had a few dandelion pop up and some chickweed in some spots. Hopefully it works. Would it be safe to spray again in about 10 days if I still see the weeds growing?

Amazon product ASIN B011HY6WJK

That rain was a blessing earlier today! IWhen i put my lime down last week i had my spreader on 5 when it was supposed to be 2-3, my lawn so was turning yellow so i won't make that mistake again. Supposed to get a nice rain wednesday which will only help. I'll be putting down weed&feed 1st week of May just need to pay attention to rainy days.

I found a few dandelions sunning themselves today, and was about to grab my trusty herbicide, when I saw a lone honeybee collecting pollen and nectar on the blossoms.

They earned a stay of execution until the end of the week. My lawn is a friggin emerald carpet right now. Late April can hide a lot of flaws and I want to enjoy it.

Just found a few patches of Nutsedge in the lawn, will need to address that this weekend.

So my lawn is looking kinda dry from all the lack of rain. I've been using the sprinkler but not enough. Looks like we will get some much needed rain on Friday. So far this year I have used the Lesco 30-0-5 pre emergent with Dimension in mid March, (I still have half a bag of this) I also used Ortho CCO spray for chickweed and ground ivy twice this year. My question to the lawn guys is what do I put down next? With the rain it should green up again in the dry spots. I got rid of True Green this year and they usually put down a late spring and summer treatment.

Yes, Roundup is a non-selective herbicide, which means it will kill whatever it contacts including the grass you want to maintain.So you don’t use a non selective herbicide unless you are okay with killing everything where you sprayed. “Selective herbicides” kills certain grasses and weeds but not your desired species in you lawn. So don’t use roundup unless you are okay will killing everything in the part of the lawn to which it was was applied. Poa trivialis is a cool season grass that goes dormant in the summer but comes roaring back the following year. It is not easily killed or controlled.

As I’ve written, Poa is a genus of species that include hundreds of type or grasses including desirable species (Kentucky blue grass) as well as generally undesirable species such as Poa annua and Poa Trivialis. Using the term “Poa” itself can lead to misunderstanding.
I took a hands off approach with the POA this spring. It's all dead/dormant now and not visible. Starting to wonder if it is worth attacking if it is gone/dormant by mid-May.

@Postman_1
You want to get a a weed and feed (21-0-3) down next. Put it down on a moist lawn lawn and avoid watering/rain and mowing for 48 hours after the application.

Last edited:
Reactions: Postman_1
I took a hands off approach with the POA this spring. It's all dead/dormant now and not visible. Starting to wonder if it is worth attacking if it is gone/dormant by mid-May.

I would hit the areas with Tenacity in mid September and October to try and minimalize the seed germination....it is an endless battle.

Thinking of extracting the POA tufts with a pointed garden spade.
Poa is a genus of grass that includes desirable species such as Kentucky Bluegrass, as well as species many would deem undesirable such as Poa annua and Poa trivialis. Based on your past posts, I think you mean triv? Cutting the tuffs is a bandaid and won’t kill it. The problem with triv, in my view, is that it grows faster than most “lawn grasses,” has a different color and texture. It goes dormant in heat but comes back in Fall and spring. So in the fall and spring it stands out in an ugly way (in my view) then stands out in summer when it goes dormant and turns brown. If it’s Poa annua, I agree with golfer and hit it with tenacity or another preemergent in early September to try to thwart the next patch (it germinates early fall around here).

So my lawn is looking kinda dry from all the lack of rain. I've been using the sprinkler but not enough. Looks like we will get some much needed rain on Friday. So far this year I have used the Lesco 30-0-5 pre emergent with Dimension in mid March, (I still have half a bag of this) I also used Ortho CCO spray for chickweed and ground ivy twice this year. My question to the lawn guys is what do I put down next? With the rain it should green up again in the dry spots. I got rid of True Green this year and they usually put down a late spring and summer treatment.
Depending on the rate you applied, the dimension will likely lose its barrier in 3-4 months. So you could put down dimension again. I don’t really like a 30 nitrogen in late spring but you’d probably be okay. Or use an organic like miloganite or Oceangro. If you still have chickweed or ground ivy you can use CCO again but not in temperatures over 85 or so and not if you used it within 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Poa is a genus of grass that includes desirable species such as Kentucky Bluegrass, as well as species many would deem undesirable such as Poa annua and Poa trivialis. Based on your past posts, I think you mean triv? Cutting the tuffs is a bandaid and won’t kill it. The problem with triv, in my view, is that it grows faster than most “lawn grasses,” has a different color and texture. It goes dormant in heat but comes back in Fall and spring. So in the fall and spring it stands out in an ugly way (in my view) then stands out in summer when it goes dormant and turns brown. If it’s Poa annua, I agree with golfer and hit it with tenacity or another preemergent in early September to try to thwart the next patch (it germinates early fall around here).
it's poa triv. So if I meticulously extract the tufts and 4" below the tufts of poa triv, that will not get rid of it? I was going to fill in the extracted holes with some topsoil and new seed. I don't have that many, and it should be a 2-4 hour project.
Interestingly, it seems the spots I hit with Roundup a year or so ago are still either bare (with the TTF filling in), or POA annua (lighter green and not in tufts) has taken over. The POA annua is not nearly as ugly or bothersome as the POA triv.

it's poa triv. So if I meticulously extract the tufts and 4" below the tufts of poa triv, that will not get rid of it? I was going to fill in the extracted holes with some topsoil and new seed. I don't have that many, and it should be a 2-4 hour project.
Interestingly, it seems the spots I hit with Roundup a year or so ago are still either bare (with the TTF filling in), or POA annua (lighter green and not in tufts) has taken over. The POA annua is not nearly as ugly or bothersome as the POA triv.
I’d cut triv out at 4” and also go beyond the perimeter you see. If you leave one stolon it’ll come back with a vengeance. I know people that dug it up and threw it into a mulch pile (big mistake) and also missed the perimeter. Both reared their ugly heads. Kinda like Michael Myers in Halloween.

I’d cut triv out at 4” and also go beyond the perimeter you see. If you leave one stolon it’ll come back with a vengeance. I know people that dug it up and threw it into a mulch pile (big mistake) and also missed the perimeter. Both reared their ugly heads. Kinda like Michael Myers in Halloween.
Thinking of using a reciprocating saw. And explosives. And a flamethrower.
Maybe just the first one to get a clean cut around the tufts and surrounding area.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I cut the shit out of this trivialis. I was the one who posted the pictures in this thread. Then I sprayed roundup on the areas I cut out. Then filled with new topsoil and seeded. Seed is coming in pretty nicely though had to do a second round. Guess I'll have to wait until next spring to see how bad it comes back.

Depending on the rate you applied, the dimension will likely lose its barrier in 3-4 months. So you could put down dimension again. I don’t rally like a 30 nitrogen in late spring but you’d probably be okay. Or use an organic like miloganite or Oceangro. If you still have chickweed or ground ivy you can use CCO again but not in temperatures over 85 or so and not if you used it within 2 weeks.
I second the Milorganite or Oceangro suggestion. Slow release, all organic, great for your soil, and pretty much idiot-proof. It will feed your lawn low & slow when the temps are normally too hot for high N synthetics.

Reactions: Postman_1
I put down preemergent in March. I want to over seed in the fall. Can/should I put down another application of preemergent in June?

I put down preemergent in March. I want to over seed in the fall. Can/should I put down another application of preemergent in June?
Your barrier is probably done soon depending on the product and rate you put down in March. But if you’re going to seed in late August or early September (which is when I would) then you probably shouldn’t reapply. You could, though, reduce the application rate and try for some coverage and then seed in 2 or 3 months.

I second the Milorganite or Oceangro suggestion. Slow release, all organic, great for your soil, and pretty much idiot-proof. It will feed your lawn low & slow when the temps are normally too hot for high N synthetics.
So the Lesco 30-0-5 shouldn't be used when its real hot because of the 30 Nitrogen? Can this only be used in the early spring or late fall? I see they sell the Milorganite at the Home Depot and Oceangro at Yardville Supply Im close to both of them. Do you prefer one product over the other? I see they both contain 2.5% Iron so that should green it up a little I believe.

I see they sell the Milorganite at the Home Depot and Oceangro at Yardville Supply Im close to both of them. Do you prefer one product over the other? I see they both contain 2.5% Iron so that should green it up a little I believe.
I saw a video on Milorganite vs OceanGro. Basically they're the same exact thing, OceanGro preformed maybe slightly better. Main thing, OceanGro is cheaper. Makes sense since it's made from your sh*t right here in NJ.😁

My wife also called their quality control to get the low down on allowing horses to graze on it. They said basically wait a month and you're fine. That means it's a class B biosolid, pretty good organic stuff.

Last edited:
Lack of rain has killed my lawn shit I haven't even been able to put down the weed & feed yet which was scheduled to go down 1st week of may SMDH!

Lack of rain has killed my lawn shit I haven't even been able to put down the weed & feed yet which was scheduled to go down 1st week of may SMDH!
Killed your lawn and my 3 acres of pasture. I’m now looking at 3 acres of straw and dust. Every time I look back there , I just drop my head in defeat.

• Sad
Reactions: miket007
ADVERTISEMENT