ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Eternal Lawn Care Thread

I put down some OceanGro last week. The Ace hardware near me shut down so had to go to Princeton for it. It was my first fertilizer application so far this year. The early lack of rain did a number on my lawn. I came across this video on YouTube of a fertilizer I have not heard of before, anyone ever use it? I did have bad results though with other products from Sta Green.

I haven’t tried the Sta Green. Picked up 10 bags of Oceangro from The Yard in Scotch Plains last week.

Reactions: Postman_1
I usually do two fertilizer applications a year with Oceangro, which is a slow release organic fertilizer. A bag is about $10 and a bag covers about 3,000 sq fr. It’s granular and I use a spreader for fertilizer but a backpack sprayer for preemergence and I occasionally use a liquid fungicide if there is a fungus problem (maybe once every few years). Some grub control products are more environmentally sounder than others. I will sometimes use a grub control if that problem emerges, which is very infrequently (these can be granular or liquid). My total spend per year for everything is $200 to $300. Also, doing it myself, I know what I’m putting down, when, at what rate, etc. Some of the big lawn care companies are costly and don’t always do what they should at the right time with the appropriate product. If you wanted to spend the time, I’m sure you could save some bucks and probably do a better job.

Quick question, when do you do your second Oceangro application? I did my first earlier in the spring when overseeing, and I’m really happy with the results. I’ve been following a lot of your recommendations and my lawn is doing great this year. Thx.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I didn't add my 2nd crabgrass application back in June and my yard is paying for it but not as bad as in previous years. All these thunderstorms have helped my yard and i will overseed again in the late fall.

Quick question, when do you do your second Oceangro application? I did my first earlier in the spring when overseeing, and I’m really happy with the results. I’ve been following a lot of your recommendations and my lawn is doing great this year. Thx.
I do my first around Memorial Day, then second in September (sometimes I do one late July. My biggest is a winterizer in
Late fall. (Synthetic)

Reactions: BigRnj
Its an early bloom and hopefully some sub freezing temps dont ruin the flowering season. Looks like things may warm up again toward the end of the month. Lot of calls for a warmer than normal spring this year🌞

It's that most wonderful time of the year. Forsythias are blooming.
Same with our daffodils.

My Wife planted well over 200 bulbs when we first moved to where we are now. Squirrels and the rabbits (along with probably some deer too) got most of them.

Same with our daffodils.

My Wife planted well over 200 bulbs when we first moved to where we are now. Squirrels and the rabbits (along with probably some deer too) got most of them.
imma gonna pull the weather thread advice-

daffodils, squirrels, rabbits --SEPARATE THREADS!!!! 😜

Same with our daffodils.

We have lots of bulbs that have come up . I have a gallon of spray ready to go at all times and this year also using shredded Irish Spring soap that i spread out near each bulb . So far so good.

It's that most wonderful time of the year. Forsyntias are blooming
I have 2 Plum trees blooming, both rated for a 7A and B hardiness zone. If I don't cover them those blooms will be dead by the end of the week, with the sub-freezing temps coming up. I should have gotten nothing but fruit trees rated for Canada.

Last edited:
Reactions: Knight Shift
I have 2 Plum trees blooming, both rated for a 7A and B hardiness zone. If I don't cover them those, blooms will be dead by the end of the week with the sub-freezing temps coming up. I should have gotten nothing but fruit trees rated for Canada.
We head to Spain for 10 days, and it's going to be balmy there. This cold snap sucks.

Im a little late putting down my preemergent this year. According to Greencastonline the soil temp in my are was already over 55 degrees for 3 days in a row. I usually do Prodiamine before that. Im hoping to get some down on Friday and we are supposed to get some rain on Saturday to water it in. Hoping it's not to late to get it down.

Im a little late putting down my preemergent this year. According to Greencastonline the soil temp in my are was already over 55 degrees for 3 days in a row. I usually do Prodiamine before that. Im hoping to get some down on Friday and we are supposed to get some rain on Saturday to water it in. Hoping it's not to late to get it down.
A frost will kill any crabgrass that has germinated.

I may be a little late too, with soil temps 4” down about 55. But Dithiopyr and Prodiamine can control crab grass before emergent and also have some post emergent control to a limited agree. So I think—hope—we will be okay. Too windy in my area for liquid spray till maybe Friday.

Reactions: Postman_1
Anyone have insight on a mass amount of clover that's ripping on our lawn
Clover can spread pretty rapidly. Some people like it in a lawn, I don’t. Two or three spray applications of triclopyr spread three weeks apart will control it. Triclopyr is the active ingredient in Ortho CCO Purple label that you can get at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. As always, please follow the directions on the label

Anyone have insight on a mass amount of clover that's ripping on our lawn

Clover usually means you have poor soil in that area, but the flip side is it helps improve your soil while it grows. I think the easiest thing to do is overseed those areas with grass seed and over time (assuming the soil is improving) the grass will take over.

If you kill it with chemicals but don't improve the soil you will be in the same situation next year.

Reactions: koleszar
Clover usually means you have poor soil in that area, but the flip side is it helps improve your soil while it grows. I think the easiest thing to do is overseed those areas with grass seed and over time (assuming the soil is improving) the grass will take over.

If you kill it with chemicals but don't improve the soil you will be in the same situation next year.
Agreed, could be low nitrogen. I’d probably take it out with triclopyr, get a soil test from Rutgers, then up nitrogen or other add other amendments as dictated by the soil test.

I was concerned about the warm temps we were getting down here in Smyrna. My company came out last thursday and put down preemergent but with the cold temps we'll get the rest of the week all should be well.

I was concerned about the warm temps we were getting down here in Smyrna. My company came out last thursday and put down preemergent but with the cold temps we'll get the rest of the week all should be well.
Not a problem. Depending on the preemergent and application rate, coverage is generally one month (Mesotrione) to three to four months (Dithiopyr and others). Getting it down early won’t hurt anything.

Reactions: miket007
Not a problem. Depending on the preemergent and application rate, coverage is generally one month (Mesotrione) to three to four months (Dithiopyr and others). Getting it down early won’t hurt anything.
They'll be applying another application in early June so as time goes on my crabgrass issues should decrease...

They'll be applying another application in early June so as time goes on my crabgrass issues should decrease...
Yea,I agree. I do a crab grass PM around now, then again in late June, then again in September for Poa annua and other fall germinating weeds.

Get your spring nutrients down tomorrow and hope they dont wash away- the NJ forecast:

"widespread heavy rainfall of 2.5 to 3.5 inches is forecasted Friday night through Saturday night with locally higher amounts possible."

Get your spring nutrients down tomorrow and hope they dont wash away- the NJ forecast:

"widespread heavy rainfall of 2.5 to 3.5 inches is forecasted Friday night through Saturday night with locally higher amounts possible."
Good point! Personally I’m okay with preemergence before a big rain but might wait on fertilizer if you do it this early and if you have some slope to your property.

When does the first oceangro application go down?
I don’t put it own until around Memorial Day but you can put it down earlier depending on your yearly application schedule. Too much fertilizer in the spring can lead to some lawn diseases. That’s not to say you can’t do it now or soon.

Reactions: BigRnj
I was able to get my Prodiamine application down. A soaking rain tomorrow should be good for it. The two places close to me that sold Oceangro are no longer in business. Sucks! The big box stores have Milorganite but it is double the price.

Reactions: phs73rc77gsm83
I'm up in Massachusetts where we've had almost 3 weeks of below-average temperatures (the lows have been below freezing). My forsythia isn't showing any signs of blooming and, thus, I'm still waiting before putting down my pre-emergent. I left myself notes in my calendar to start earlier this year than last. But, I just can't see doing it yet with how cold it's been.

But, my real question is - I noticed some moss LATE last summer in areas of my yard where I've never seen it before and, by Fall, it spread even more. So, 1) why - after more than a decade of pretty much a moss-free yard (it had previously been contained in a tiny corner of my yard), do I suddenly have it?, and 2) why has it spread so quickly? All of this comes after the last two years, where my lawn has been growing bigger, stronger, and healthier (mostly because I've been much more vigilant about treating it and feeding it than ever before).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I got my pre emergent down yesterday . Big rain today hope it doesn't wash away.

Crazy prices at Home depot $80 for the bigger bag?

Went to Costco got a Scotts bag with fertilizer for $53

I'm up in Massachusetts where we've had almost 3 weeks of below-average temperatures (the lows have been below freezing). My forsythia isn't showing any signs of blooming and, thus, I'm still waiting before putting down my pre-emergent. I left myself notes in my calendar to start earlier this year than last. But, I just can't see doing it yet with how cold it's been.

But, my real question is - I noticed some moss LATE last summer in areas of my yard where I've never seen it before and, by Fall, it spread even more. So, 1) why - after more than a decade of pretty much a moss-free yard (it had previously been contained in a tiny corner of my yard), do I suddenly have it?, and 2) why has it spread so quickly? All of this comes after the last two years, where my lawn has been growing bigger, stronger, and healthier (mostly because I've been much more vigilant about treating it and feeding it than ever before).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If it is not in a shady area then it is caused by excess precipitation, poor draining soil and or thin patches in the lawn. Humidity can play a factor as well.

Does anybody have any experience with the corn gluten based weed control products?

We have lots of bulbs that have come up . I have a gallon of spray ready to go at all times and this year also using shredded Irish Spring soap that i spread out near each bulb . So far so good.
Very pretty and when you bring some in they will smell so nice :)

for the first time in 34 years I hired a company to come and do it. My back just can't handle it. Should be interesting to compare the results. When I compare the cost of goods for myself vs. the cost for the 6 treatment plan it really wasn't that bad.
Side benefit is when I do it I have used granular which requires the dog stay off until absorbed..could be days . These guys spraying it and ready in 4-6 hours... will even be more careful and go like a day. But at least it is only 1 day of Mrs. bitching vs. potentially 3+

That rain was very beneficial yesterday. I had my pre-emergent spray put down last week but i'm more concerned about the large amount of lime i applied in early February which was making my soil look very dry hell even had some cracks in it. Should have multiple rounds of rain this week down here so hopefully everything works out...

Question for the experts. Overall my lawn is in pretty good shape each year, granted it could be better in some spots.

There is a section of the side yard that turned into a soccer workout area for my son. So over the fall and winter, they have beaten the ground to death. Any suggestions for that area? Will the grass just spring back with normal treatment or will it likely come in splotchy? Would aerating or thatching help?

Did my 1st cut of the season today. Got some moss forming in more spots than usual this year. I got a lack of sun in them areas. Any way to remedy this?

Best way to get rid of ivy? Starting to take over some areas very aggressively. Burning is not an option lol.

ADVERTISEMENT