ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020 season

Gleybor will be fine at SS, it's not like Didi was winning gold gloves at SS. The Yankee defense could be pretty good next year with only Voit being below average at their position.

Gleybor will be fine at SS, it's not like Didi was winning gold gloves at SS. The Yankee defense could be pretty good next year with only Voit being below average at their position.
What they will miss most about Didi is his left-handed bat. One of the few players that was a complete lefty at the plate and threw with his right. He's going to love Citizens Bank Park

With LaMahieu the Yanks were able to 'rest' a starting infielder without any dropoff. Now, w/o Didi they're not only losing a lefthanded bat and his offensive production, but he'll be replaced by Wade and or Estrada which to me is a downgrade. Same might be said for Higashioka instead of Romaine. Given Sanchez's injury history, backup catcher could see a lot of action. Stanton and Hicks are also injury prone, and Gardner's age may come into play if he has to play everyday. With Cole, pitching staff should be very good. .

With LaMahieu the Yanks were able to 'rest' a starting infielder without any dropoff. Now, w/o Didi they're not only losing a lefthanded bat and his offensive production, but he'll be replaced by Wade and or Estrada which to me is a downgrade. Same might be said for Higashioka instead of Romaine. Given Sanchez's injury history, backup catcher could see a lot of action. Stanton and Hicks are also injury prone, and Gardner's age may come into play if he has to play everyday. With Cole, pitching staff should be very good. .
Don't worry about Gardie he's a brick SHI house.

Given your concerns Yanks will be hard pressed to win 81 games this year.

Reactions: Rhuarc
And the first monkey wrench has been thrown into my opening day roster prediction. I’ll probably slot Montgomery in there for now, but I expect them to take a flyer on a couple of veteran guys as well. Mike King would be my sleeper pick.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Paxton was pitching well at the end of the season. Hopefully it doesn’t set him back to much. It’s good that it isn’t an actual injury though...

Losing Pax sucks but I’m actually really excited to watch this competition unfold over the course of spring training.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
Welp, the German' suspension certainly becomes a bigger problem now.
Given how this is Paxton's impending free agency...could cost him lots of $$$.

And the first monkey wrench has been thrown into my opening day roster prediction. I’ll probably slot Montgomery in there for now, but I expect them to take a flyer on a couple of veteran guys as well. Mike King would be my sleeper pick.
Montgomery or Garcia? We have 7 quality starters.

Losing Pax sucks but I’m actually really excited to watch this competition unfold over the course of spring training.
Agreed! We don't need Pax now. Take a few months off and come back fresh in June. All that matters is Oct!

Welp, the German' suspension certainly becomes a bigger problem now.
Given how this is Paxton's impending free agency...could cost him lots of $$$.

Paxton and German should be back before the All Star Break and maybe a lot sooner. The silver lining is that they won't be wearing down come September. Cole, Tanaka, Severino, Happ, and one from Montgomery/Garcia/Loisiga should get them through the first half with their offense. And there should be enough time left to gauge who is actually effective and who is still struggling.

And, of course, there's the July 31 deadline.

I agree that the positive take on this is that they should be fresher for the stretch of the season. I have faith that the Yankees have the depth to weather the German/Paxton storm.

Not sure how Pax went from some sort of cyst to a disc problem but hope that doesn’t have long term issues...

It was huge to begin with but right now it's the difference between being ok and having massive agita
Yep... I realize the NYY are pretty much playoff locks, but losing a #2 SP until at least June is a big deal. Potentially losing an extra 5-6 games until he's back could be the difference in home field throughout the post season.

Yep... I realize the NYY are pretty much playoff locks, but losing a #2 SP until at least June is a big deal. Potentially losing an extra 5-6 games until he's back could be the difference in home field throughout the post season.

Assuming that Paxton would win 5-6 games from April - June.....is it also your assumption that they will now lose ever game started by Paxton's replacement in the rotation?

Oh, yeah, don't get me wrong. It's not good. No German, no Pax, and we are now relying on a guy with 7 innings on his rebuilt arm. It's a little scary. Usually those first couple months back these guys aren't as effective. Hopefully Monty got some good offseason work in.

Reactions: MitchLL and c10j10s
Assuming that Paxton would win 5-6 games from April - June.....is it also your assumption that they will now lose ever game started by Paxton's replacement in the rotation?
The bigger issue is how many extra BP innings are now needed early season because of his injury. Plus, does he come back in the form he was to end last year.
German ate up a lot of innings early last year too.
Cole signing is even bigger now then it was when they first signed him.

Reactions: MitchLL
The bigger issue is how many extra BP innings are now needed early season because of his injury. Plus, does he come back in the form he was to end last year.
German ate up a lot of innings early last year too.
Cole signing is even bigger now then it was when they first signed him.
Yawn.
Season starts in October. Everyone will be ready.

Yawn.
Season starts in October. Everyone will be ready.
Good thing your guys all came back by Oct last year...
It may not matter that much but any injury at any time to a starting player is at least a concern.

I'm glad I read that article because I was trying to find out how healing from a cyst removal takes 4 months. I do understand the location is a bad one.

It is good news but when I think about the timeline:

1) getting him back after one third of the season is about 54 games or right into Memorial Day weekend May 25th or so.

2) The original story had him with a recovery time from February 5th surgery at 3-4 months or between May 5 - June 5.

So it's good but not as good as it first appeared. Plus you have to add in that Paxton will begin his version of spring training which could take another month.

I truly believe if Stanton, Sanchez, and Hicks miss the season we would be fine. Just like last year when 30 something players were hurt, and we just kept getting better.
Jesus I can’t stand people who think we’d be fine without any of those 3. Sanchez is by far the best hitting catcher in the league. Stanton won the MVP a few years ago and then led the team in HRs the next year. He misses one year to injury and you act like he hasn’t done a thing for the team in the 2 years he’s been here. Might I remind you they didn’t win a single game Stanton didn’t play in the playoffs? Hicks literally sacrificed half this season to try and get the team to the WS last year. Took verlander deep on the first AB he saw in 2 months facing elimination to win the game.

Reactions: c10j10s
Jesus I can’t stand people who think we’d be fine without any of those 3. Sanchez is by far the best hitting catcher in the league. Stanton won the MVP a few years ago and then led the team in HRs the next year. He misses one year to injury and you act like he hasn’t done a thing for the team in the 2 years he’s been here. Might I remind you they didn’t win a single game Stanton didn’t play in the playoffs? Hicks literally sacrificed half this season to try and get the team to the WS last year. Took verlander deep on the first AB he saw in 2 months facing elimination to win the game.

People like this simply don't watch all the games. Which is fine. No one is saying you're a bad fan if you don't watch all the games. But don't extrapolate the things you see in the few games you watch over the course of an entire season. People watch a few games here and there and see Stanton strikeout or Sanchez have a passed ball and they think every game is like that.

Reactions: czxqa
People like this simply don't watch all the games. Which is fine. No one is saying you're a bad fan if you don't watch all the games. But don't extrapolate the things you see in the few games you watch over the course of an entire season. People watch a few games here and there and see Stanton strikeout or Sanchez have a passed ball and they think every game is like that.
Yep- both guys could hit 35+ HR and 90+ RBI and not a single one of them mattered.
The problem I see some Yankee fans having is they think it is normal to have so many backups come up and be better than the All Stars they replaced.
2019 would be very hard to duplicate.

I'm counting on Pax' replacements getting 10 starts and potentially the Yanks only winning 3-4 of those. That's how I came up with the 5-6 thingy.

You are assuming then that Paxton would win all 10? Either way it doesn’t matter. We will have the best record in the AL. We would have to be absolutely ravaged by injuries not to.

ADVERTISEMENT