ADVERTISEMENT

OT: New York Yankees 2020 season

You are assuming then that Paxton would win all 10? Either way it doesn’t matter. We will have the best record in the AL. We would have to be absolutely ravaged by injuries not to.
Like last year absolutely ravaged, and
Still win the div.

He didn’t even qualify last season and led the position in homers. Of his 4 seasons he hit .299 and .278 before 2 down years average-wise. What metrics besides batting average make you say he’s not the best hitting catcher in the league?

I'll give you a disturbing metric on Gary Sanchez that has little to do with how many homers he's hit:

Games Played:
2019 - 106 games
2018 - 89 games
2017 - 122 games
2016 - 53 games (came up permanently in August)

And once you start to suffer those thigh and leg problems, the odds of them returning increase. Worse move Yanks made over the winter was not retaining Austin Romine and his $4.1 M/year contract the Tigers gave him (although he may have wanted a starter's job somewhere anyway).

Reactions: RU Diesel07110
He didn’t even qualify last season and led the position in homers. Of his 4 seasons he hit .299 and .278 before 2 down years average-wise. What metrics besides batting average make you say he’s not the best hitting catcher in the league?
Because of the last two seasons that you just want to brush aside like it didn't happen. He is no where near being the top catcher. He batted .182 in 2018 and .232 last year. That is a .211 BA over his last 719 at bats. He is a low average, high strike out power hitter. Defensively he maybe the worst in the majors. Add in he is injury prone and lazy. I don't understand the love affair people have with him.

I'll give you a disturbing metric on Gary Sanchez that has little to do with how many homers he's hit:

Games Played:
2019 - 106 games
2018 - 89 games
2017 - 122 games
2016 - 53 games (came up permanently in August)

And once you start to suffer those thigh and leg problems, the odds of them returning increase. Worse move Yanks made over the winter was not retaining Austin Romine and his $4.1 M/year contract the Tigers gave him (although he may have wanted a starter's job somewhere anyway).
Romine wanted to play

Like last year absolutely ravaged, and
Still win the div.
I am talking worse than that. If lost Severino and Cole for the year we may not win the AL. I would still give us the best odds but it would be a race. Hitters don’t matter. We have plenty of guys to replace starters. A staff of;

Tanaka
Happ
Montgomery
Garcia
Journeyman we would pick up

that staff getting Paxton back in May and German in June still wins the AL.

Yeah no. Brian Cashman will never trade him. It will be an admission he was wrong.
They won't sign him to the long term contract when he hits free agency, that's my opinion. But yes, they will never trade him before that.

Reactions: T2Kplus10
They won't sign him to the long term contract when he hits free agency, that's my opinion. But yes, they will never trade him before that.
Bingo. Let him get a payday somewhere else. Even if the next few seasons are great, catchers breakdown quickly.

Because of the last two seasons that you just want to brush aside like it didn't happen. He is no where near being the top catcher. He batted .182 in 2018 and .232 last year. That is a .211 BA over his last 719 at bats. He is a low average, high strike out power hitter. Defensively he maybe the worst in the majors. Add in he is injury prone and lazy. I don't understand the love affair people have with him.

Catching is the most physically demanding position in baseball. If Sanchez was lazy he would not be a catcher at all.

Also love it how you are quoting batting average as the tell all for being a good hitter.....how quaintly 1970's of you.

Reactions: Rufan922
4 guys beat him in OPS last year and 23 in 2018. He's a good power hitter but has regressed significantly as an overall hitter since 2017. And as a bonus he's one of the worst fielding catchers I've ever seen in MLB.

Also he was suspended at triple a, after several incidents of not hustling, refusing to go to certain meetings, refusing
to warm up catchers, refusing to go to English speaking classes. Why nobody talks about this is puzzling?

Catching is the most physically demanding position in baseball. If Sanchez was lazy he would not be a catcher at all.

Also love it how you are quoting batting average as the tell all for being a good hitter.....how quaintly 1970's of you.
I don't care what modern metrics you trot out, batting 186 and 232 is not a sign of a good hitter. Prior years he was a good hitter.

He definitely needs to get better with his pitch selection. He has a tendency to swing at sliders in the dirt, and pitchers have been throwing more and more of those to him with two strikes. He has to address that deficiency this year. He did put a ton of work into his defense last year and while not perfect, there was significant improvement. He still has a lot of room to grow as a player. You just don't give up on a guy like this. At catcher guys with his potential are few and far between. He's being given every opportunity to earn his payday. They'll decide whether to pay him or not when appropriate. Plenty of time left.

Honestly you could make the case that Paxton is actually the #3 SP behind Severino. That’s just crazy to me. Imagine Mashiro Tanaka being the #4. On almost any other team he’s a 1/2
Last 3 years would be a very low standard for a 1/2 pitcher...(regular season) - he is pretty much a 3 at best and a 4 on many teams.
Not knocking him, he is a good mainstay on the staff but in the regular season 1/2, is crazy

Reactions: MitchLL
Question for Yankee fans...is there any fear that Cole becomes the pitcher he was before the "magic" that happens in Houston?
Just strange that both he and Verlander's numbers are so drastically different the last couple of years in Houston than their entire careers had been prior to that.

Question for Yankee fans...is there any fear that Cole becomes the pitcher he was before the "magic" that happens in Houston?
Just strange that both he and Verlander's numbers are so drastically different the last couple of years in Houston than their entire careers had been prior to that.

Fear? No. Some concern, yes. Even if that proves to be true, he'll still be in line to win games with this team.

The far more interesting thing will be to watch what new pitching coach Matt Blake brings to making these guys even better.
https://nypost.com/2019/11/09/yankees-new-pitching-coach-matt-blake-ahead-of-his-time/

Are you insinuating that he’ll forget what he learned in Houston?

Coles numbers improved because he was finally heathy. In 2015 he was great. As good as this past year. 2016 got hurt. Wasn't at his best health wise and was shut down in early September.
Verlander is unexplainable. Was believed done. Traded mid season and goes immediately back to an Ace.

My concern is that whoever was sprinkling the HGH in the food in Houston isn't here in New York, lol

You know players get tested multiple times a year for HGH right? Can’t get away with that anymore it’s not 2003.

Are you insinuating that he’ll forget what he learned in Houston?
He learned how to be 8.6 H9 and 8.6 SO9 to 6.2 and 13.1? Is that learned?

Coles numbers improved because he was finally heathy. In 2015 he was great. As good as this past year. 2016 got hurt. Wasn't at his best health wise and was shut down in early September.
Verlander is unexplainable. Was believed done. Traded mid season and goes immediately back to an Ace.
Cole was very good in 2015 but still, no where near his past 2 years. Not even close. 2014/15 were his only previous years he gave up less hits than K's and both number were close. He was healthy again in 2017 with 200+ innings and again, I would not have put in in a dominate K type of pitcher ever in his career until Houston

My concern is that whoever was sprinkling the HGH in the food in Houston isn't here in New York, lol
At least there should be some left in a closet somewhere. Does HGH expire?

You know players get tested multiple times a year for HGH right? Can’t get away with that anymore it’s not 2003.
There is always the next great thing that isn't tested for yet...I bring up Cole because he is now a local player be he and Verlander, neither should have any natural reason for how they transformed over the past two years that coincide with being in the same clubhouse...and at a time that hitters have improved so dramatically.

HGH wasn't a factor or any drugs. He was 10-8 with a 3.82 ERA with Detroit. He gets traded and immediately goes 5-0 with a 1.00 ERA. No drugs work that fast.

Uhhh yea? He learned how to be a more effective pitcher in his time in Houston. Why would that magically disappear? Unless you’re insinuating that they’re using some type of magical ball that helps you get a higher spin-rate.

Cole was very good in 2015 but still, no where near his past 2 years. Not even close. 2014/15 were his only previous years he gave up less hits than K's and both number were close. He was healthy again in 2017 with 200+ innings and again, I would not have put in in a dominate K type of pitcher ever in his career until Houston

At least there should be some left in a closet somewhere. Does HGH expire?
If you already have an opinion than don't ask the question.
His era was 2.60 in 2015. Nearly the same as his last 2 years combined.

Charlie Morton was an average pitcher his entire career, went to Houston, pitched there for two seasons (17 & 18) and became an All-Star (2018). What happened when he left for another team in 2019? He finished 3rd in the Cy Young voting.

Man I know all you Yankee fans can fake like the Rays and Red Sox might be tough but we all know who you're really worried about is my hometown Baltimore Orioles!

Reactions: c10j10s
So take your Garrett Cole and all star roster and shove it! We signed an up an comer 34 year old pitcher who last played regularly in the Majors in 2010 and has been tearing up the Mexican professional league the last two years! Ya'll are shaking I know!

(For the record I'm actually not kidding, my birds legitimately signed a 34 year old pitcher out of the Mexican league, it's the closest thing to Charlie Sheen and Major League that I've ever seen. Chris Davis will forever be the living embodiment of Pedro Serrano, we just need a Voodoo Doctor and JOBU to come to the rescue.... Hats for Bats!)

So take your Garrett Cole and all star roster and shove it! We signed an up an comer 34 year old pitcher who last played regularly in the Majors in 2010 and has been tearing up the Mexican professional league the last two years! Ya'll are shaking I know!

(For the record I'm actually not kidding, my birds legitimately signed a 34 year old pitcher out of the Mexican league, it's the closest thing to Charlie Sheen and Major League that I've ever seen. Chris Davis will forever be the living embodiment of Pedro Serrano, we just need a Voodoo Doctor and JOBU to come to the rescue.... Hats for Bats!)

Lol. I’ll be genuinely upset if the Yankees don’t go 19-0 against Baltimore this year.

Lol. I’ll be genuinely upset if the Yankees don’t go 19-0 against Baltimore this year.
Bro I can't believe the Tigers actually had a worse record than us last year. John Means was a nice little surprise but the birds are 3 years minimum away from being a .500 team again. Perhaps with enough high draft picks though we can turn it around. I'm hearing nothing but good things about Rutschman and we have a couple young pitcher's that are looking like they might be something. We also had the AAA player of the year last year with Ryan Mountcastle who is a 22 year old slugger who can hit for days but don't let him anywhere on the field besides first base or left field. We have this problem though, Chris Davis who they are paying too much to not play at 1st. Mancini our LF is also a good one but that's about it for my Birds

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT