ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2020 NY Giants Off Season Thread

New York Giants pick #99: UConn OT Matt Peart

Mel Kiper's comments from two days ago:

"...Many analysts see UConn offensive tackle Matt Peart, a raw talent, as the first of the state’s players drafted, projecting him as high as the second round, or early third. "Peart is a guy who is still developing,” Kiper said. "A developing talent, still a little inexperienced in terms of football, but 6-6 ½ , almost 320 pounds, he’s got phenomenally long arms. He’s a gifted athlete and the arm-length that he has, the way he moves, the potential he has, if he’s coached up, with the computer numbers he had, Peart could be a good, really good third-round pick for somebody.”

KH7C6PC6IBAX3ODFT7O6XLG7BU.jpg

UConn's Matt Peart had an impressive showing at the NFL Combine in February(Michael Conroy/AP)
https://www.giants.com/news/matt-peart-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-line-uconn-

Last edited:
New York Giants pick #99: UConn OT Matt Peart

Mel Kiper's comments from two days ago:

"...Many analysts see UConn offensive tackle Matt Peart, a raw talent, as the first of the state’s players drafted, projecting him as high as the second round, or early third. "Peart is a guy who is still developing,” Kiper said. "A developing talent, still a little inexperienced in terms of football, but 6-6 ½ , almost 320 pounds, he’s got phenomenally long arms. He’s a gifted athlete and the arm-length that he has, the way he moves, the potential he has, if he’s coached up, with the computer numbers he had, Peart could be a good, really good third-round pick for somebody.”

KH7C6PC6IBAX3ODFT7O6XLG7BU.jpg

UConn's Matt Peart had an impressive showing at the NFL Combine in February(Michael Conroy/AP)
https://www.giants.com/news/matt-peart-nfl-draft-offensive-tackle-line-uconn-

Looks good. I like the tall and long guys who dont have all the fat. Andrus Peat is my fav prototype

Looks good. I like the tall and long guys who dont have all the fat. Andrus Peat is my fav prototype

Specifics: Matt Peart

College: UConn

Height: 6’-7”

Weight: 303 pounds

40-time: 5.06

Career Games: 48

Positives:
  • Played right and left tackle in college
  • Four-year starter and very durable
  • Mobility
  • Penalized very few times
  • Active in run blocking
  • Quick enough to stay with outside rushers
  • Knows how to use leverage to his advantage
  • Senior Bowl invitee
  • 2019 First Team All-AAC
Negatives:
  • Irregular hand technique
  • Needs improvement in pass protection
  • Not the longest of arms
  • Tends to lean on bodies instead of pushing
  • Needs more girth to handle bigger defensive linemen
  • Will need development and coached up
  • Get more stronger
Expert Draft Site Analysis
DraftBlaster.com

Ideal length, height and frame to play on the outside at the next level. Peart a natural bend, and does an excellent job at getting inside leverage and being in a position to maximize his push against opponents. Agile and light footed for his size, and comfortably moved from guard to tackle. Lateral movement is smooth and rarely gets beaten with speed moves on the outside. Needs to work on his lower body strength, as he can get challenged with pure power rushers.

Chris Trapasso of CBS Sports online gave the pick by the Giants an "A"
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...rades-by-team-new-yorks-round-2-3-selections/

Last edited:
Reactions: ashokan
Ourlads: " Has incredibly strong hands with long arms and an athletic base,
he simply just needs to hammer away at his lower body mechanics until
they become more natural and consistent." Ourlads ( which is one of many
draft bibles) had him mocked as a lower 2nd round pick.

Reactions: Postman_1
Discussing the same player above:
Mel Kiper "he’s got phenomenally long arms"
Draftblaster " Not the longest of arms"
That one got me as well. I thought all these guys got measured. Shouldn't be that hard to decipher the data. It's not an intangible quality, it's a unit of measure.

I like what the Giants have done so far. I can see an interior lineman and a WR next. After one more rebuilding year, focus on the D next draft.

WTF What a idiot if true. He had 10.5 million in guaranteed money I believe too and u need to rob someone. Thug life I guess. I remember him last season talking smack and then putting no effort and whiffing on tackles. Hope he goes to jail if true

How can you not do your homework on this guy before you draft him. I am sure he was a punk at UGA and also in high school. There had to be many red flags with Baker.

Last edited:
But were they wearing masks?
It doesn't sound like it. Jackie Aprilie's crew was stupid when they robbed a card game with Christopher there, but at least they wore masks.

But they said it all started when Baker got into it with someone playing cards. So no mask.

Unless they were wearing masks for Covid-19. Lol, I dunno.

Both played at Miami. Glad to see some things never change.

They are both from city of Miami but Baker played at Georgia and Dunbar played at Florida. Both schools in top three for arrests (Washington St was the other)

Per the story, looks like gambling was involved. Sounds like someone (NFL players) must have been losing big and didn’t like the way things were turning out. Did someone get caught cheating?

Some of these guys that make it into the League no matter the circumstances as civilians get caught up in the moment and lose sight of the big picture.

GO RU

Now I understand why Giants fans wanted stay-at-home orders to stay in place in FL..... makes sense...

Giants CB Baker and Seattle CB Dunbar robbed the guests at a cookout after an argument broke out.
Both are charged with felonies of armed robbery.

It truly is amazing. I just heard what they were doing is they lost 70K a couple of days ago at a card game with these guys and they were trying to steal it back. Still just incredibly stupid.

There were questions about his maturity and character coming out of U Georgia, but Gettleman rolled the dice as he was a terrific CB. Gettleman now came up snake eyes.

ADVERTISEMENT