ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2020 NY Giants Off Season Thread

Gotta give Gettleman credit for selecting Dave Brown last year despite "experts" saying he wasn't worth that high a pick ... even though it now appears he was. Hope he got this pick right even though I'm not loving it right now.
Dave Brown? This isn't the supplemental draft nor 1992 anymore. Dude, drugs are bad for you.

Reactions: csphi and Purple-Ed
Disagree. Gettleman's drafts have been very good - his free agent signings have not been good.

Ok Barkley ? Fine ?
But he could have drafted Allen last and Simmons this year . That’s a nice defense

Last edited:
I like Thomas. Not a man mountain like flowers. He's in the D'Brickashaw Ferguson mold. Not a heavyweight, and only benched 25 reps. Big hands and mobile. Very active and can make two blocks on a play. Plays both tackle spots.

I like Thomas. Not a man mountain like flowers. He's in the D'Brickashaw Ferguson mold. Not a heavyweight, and only benched 25 reps. Big hands and mobile. Very active and can make two blocks on a play. Plays both tackle spots.

https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/giants/nate-solder-giants-offensive-line-1.44012213

"...Solder, who has spent the past two seasons as the Giants’ starting left tackle, could be on the move if the Giants choose an offensive lineman early in this week's draft. It makes little financial sense to cut him, but general manager Dave Gettleman last week acknowledged that Solder did not play well enough in 2019 and declined to name him as the team’s starter at the position.

“Nate had a rough year last year, nobody is denying that, and certainly he is not,” Gettleman said. “We’re going to bring in people to compete."

Of course, the idea of upgrading the left tackle position is not a new concept for the Giants. Late last season, there was speculation that they would want to select a starting left tackle early in the draft, and when the possibility was brought to Solder, he said he would accept a move to the right side..."

We got the one true LT who doesn't have a chance at having to move to OG..boo hoo This kid gave up 5 total sacks in three years starting in the SEC (1 at RT, 2 at LT). Jones is protected. That's what we wanted.

I've told friends this before. The Giants are not going to the playoffs this upcoming season. So "completing" a viable offense and then having a "work-in-progress" defense is fine with me for the time being. Something has to be built and functioning on this team. It appears the offense is what's closest to getting there. So get there already.

Tristan Wirfs: BP-24
Andrew Thomas: BP-21
Mekhi Becton: BP-23
Jedrick Wills: BP-DNP

Reactions: ashokan
I've told friends this before. The Giants are not going to the playoffs this upcoming season. So "completing" a viable offense and then having a "work-in-progress" defense is fine with me for the time being. Something has to be built and functioning on this team. It appears the offense is what's closest to getting there. So get there already.
You've got however many years of Barkley and only one chance to protect Jones adequately. We just helped both immensely with this pick. How many LT's are in this draft? The answer may very well be only one elite one.

Reactions: Purple-Ed
The Giants have too many holes to fill with just one draft.
This will take a few years to accomplish.

You've got however many years of Barkley and only one chance to protect Jones adequately. We just helped both immensely with this pick. How many LT's are in this draft? The answer may very well be only one elite one.
And if there is only one elite one, time will tell if the Giants got him.

And then when they are finally functioning, Giants gonna have to pay up for Barkley and jones...and the the rest of offense.
Oh yeah should try to field a defense and special teams units too

And then when they are finally functioning, Giants gonna have to pay up for Barkley and jones...and the the rest of offense.
Oh yeah should try to field a defense and special teams units too
Giants were ranked #7 in special teams last year.

Looks like Miami wanted to trade-up to #3 pick in order to snatch Thomas. They settled for Tua. Think about that one!

“The Dolphins have called the teams in front of them for a possible trade up from No. 5 and are gauging the price to come up to No. 3 to potentially take an offensive tackle,” according to NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport, ”

The report comes as a shock in that Miami would place a higher priority on filling the left tackle void left by Laremy Tunsil than drafting a much-needed quarterback following months of Tua Tagovailoa-Justin Herbert hype.

The Dolphins parted ways with Tunsil as part of a trade with the Texans.

Trading up to No. 3 also could imply that despite the four blue-chip tackles in this year’s draft projected to go in the first half of round one — Alabama’s Jedrick Wills, Iowa’s Tristan Wirfs, Georgia’s Andrew Thomas and Louisville’s Mekhi Becton — general manager Chris Grier and the Dolphins organization are enamored with a particular tackle whom they think Giants’ GM Dave Gettleman could take at No. 4.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/22/dolphins-trying-to-leap-frog-giants-in-nfl-draft-trade-twist/

Oh yes ..the G'man strikes again in first round

Thomas is the most pro ready if the four top tackles. Highest floor, lowest ceiling.
While I understand what you mean, I believe he ends up having the best career of the tackles drafted. The shoot for the moon types often don't come close to the moon.

Becton is fat as hell. If he makes it onto the field at 360 lbs it's a win for the jets. He showed up to an important combine out of shape and with drug test issues..that's not a good sign.

Wills is a career RT who is great with the run game and question marks with pass protection.

Wirfs might be a future guard and you need a tackle at 4 overall. Great athleticism and my 1b choice but again would've had to learn LT.

Last edited:
The pick was solid IMO but Gettleman finally proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he's an idiot. Watching on NFL network, in the moments after the pick, they cut away to a shot of him alone in his house. He proceeded to put an N95 mask on to make a phone call. I kid you not.

The pick was solid IMO but Gettleman finally proved beyond a reasonable doubt that he's an idiot. Watching on NFL network, in the moments after the pick, they cut away to a shot of him alone in his house. He proceeded to put an N95 mask on to make a phone call. I kid you not.
Really!? A guy who just beat cancer and probably has a compromised immune system puts
on a mask because there are probably a few IT's and camera people around? Lol.

Reactions: tico brown
Plus, Gettleman was not home alone. The Giants positioned Ty Siam from their football operations/data analytics department at Gettleman’s house to make sure there were no technology glitches.

Asked why he wore the mask, Gettleman said, “I’ve got a young IT fellow in here with me and we’re social distancing and part of it’s the mask. I’m fine.”

What do they do at #36? Some edge rushers out there that they desperately need in YGM and Epenesa, the top safetys in McKinny and Delpit a few WR's that are good to. They also need a C is #36 to early they may all be gone by #99. Id like one of the edge rushers and then gotta maybe move up somehow in the third for a center.

What do they do at #36? Some edge rushers out there that they desperately need in YGM and Epenesa, the top safetys in McKinny and Delpit a few WR's that are good to. They also need a C is #36 to early they may all be gone by #99. Id like one of the edge rushers and then gotta maybe move up somehow in the third for a center.

The Iowa kid or the Baylor WR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT