ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

Why did Igor start in the opener last night ?
I assume so he can start in the home opener tonight. He’s healthy. So rare these days to play 2 games in 2 days and almost no team has their goalie play on back-to-back nights.

Opening night at home vs. Chicago tonight. I don’t see us as a playoff team just yet. Lots of young, developing talent, but no established winners that really know the ropes and can get us to that next step. I’ll enjoy this year’s ride as long as we’re in it.

Great game! Jack Hughes 2 goals, including GW in OT. Devils 1-0 to start 21-22.

Jack's really coming into his own. Both his goals were completely manufactured solo efforts. He created the first goal out of nothing, in traffic. The second in OT was magic.

Was at game. Sellout no less or very close to it. Very loud vivacious crowd. Hughes was amazing. Need to improve power play defense. Devils are 2 years away from being a power.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
I’d like to see divisional teams play each other 6 times instead of 4 and play other conference once instead of twice. Thoughts?

I’d like to see divisional teams play each other 6 times instead of 4 and play other conference once instead of twice. Thoughts?
Eh I like seeing more variety in opponents. Playing each team in your division 6 times means half of your season is against the same 7 teams.

Eh I like seeing more variety in opponents. Playing each team in your division 6 times means half of your season is against the same 7 teams.
Interesting , compelling and logical counterpoint for sure. I like the 6 games inter division for the sake of making rivalries more intense and heated. There’s pro and con on both sides.

Interesting , compelling and logical counterpoint for sure. I like the 6 games inter division for the sake of making rivalries more intense and heated. There’s pro and con on both sides.
Yeah I'm sure I could live with it if they did go to 6 because that wouldn't be as bad as when the divisions had only 4 other teams and you played each of them 8 times. That was overkill, almost every other game was against one of four teams, and I felt like it cheapened the rivalries because you played each other too often. At least now you have 7 divisional opponents instead of just 4. That era made me really enjoy the games against Western Conference teams because we saw them so rarely. Every year there was one division that you didn't play at all.

I don’t think Bread has a shot on goal in 3 and 1/3 periods.
Galant not even attempting to make this team pressure the puck.

I don’t think Bread has a shot on goal in 3 and 1/3 periods.
Galant not even attempting to make this team pressure the puck.
He’s not shooting at all which is strange....and his passes are off.

That said, he’s about the last thing on this team right now that I’m worried about.

Nice win, early speculation is Hughes has a shoulder injury. No timeline has been given.

I think Devils coach said Hughes was day to day. Hopefully that’s the case as he appeared more seriously injured. Shame if he loses significant time because he’s a heckuva player.

I know most of you are Devils & Rangers fans, but I'd be remiss to mention Mike Bossy's revelation he has lung cancer, and how it hurt me.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I know most of you are Devils & Rangers fans, but I'd be remiss to mention Mike Bossy's revelation he has lung cancer, and how it hurt me.
As a Ranger fan, one of the few Islanders I could not get myself to hate during that era was Bossy. He was an amazing scorer who has become more underrated as time has gone on.

F*** cancer.

I don’t like Bread on the point for the power play.
That’s not gonna work
The problem is that, given the choice, both Bread and Mika would like to be in that "Ovechkin" spot for the one timer.

I was fine with last year's PP where Panarin more often took that spot and Mika ended up between the circles (I still don't get why they think righthanded Strome playing on the right side is good, though. He is no threat to get a good shot off from the bad angle).

Rangers fan, but yes, this was sad to hear.
Lost my Mom to lung cancer, and hope he can win this battle.

Congratulations to Nico Daws on his 1st victory, in his first game! Barely enough offense as Pavel Zacha scored in OT. 2-1 your NJ DEVILS.

Reactions: colbert17
Congratulations to Nico Daws on his 1st victory, in his first game! Barely enough offense as Pavel Zacha scored in OT. 2-1 your NJ DEVILS.

Leaving the arena now.
Great game.

Devils were a little sloppy with puck in their own end.
But they did seem to control the puck all game.

Nice OT win.

ADVERTISEMENT