ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

Nice win by the Devils, reverse psychology works again! In a reply the other day, I wrote it would not surprise me if they ended the season on a long losing streak.

Seeing the graphic in-game, of the goalie comparison between the Stars and Devils was telling. Coaching and young ready talent sure goes along way. Jake O., primarily has Dallas in the thick of the playoff race. Even if they don't get in this year, their fan's at least watched a lot of meaningful games.

Ah I was at that regional too. If you happened to see a guy in a white Rutgers hockey jersey, that was me. I managed to get it on the jumboscreen for a couple seconds this time.
Nice. I do remember that. We wanted to go this year but we were skiing in Vermont that week. I was hoping to see the games in Albany if they were Friday night but they were Thursday & Saturday this year. My daughter went to Quinnipiac so I go to a lot of games there and on the road. Her friend is Devon Toews sister in law and she knew a bunch of the hockey players.

Reactions: robcac26
Congratulations go out to the NJD Captain Nico Hischier, who netted his 200th point with a game winning goal! Now that is doing it quietly.

As far as Myles Wood being shutdown, they did not elaborate on why. Thus, I think it is just the same old injury getting soar or aggravated somehow. If I hear anything else about it, I will post it.

Ah I was at that regional too. If you happened to see a guy in a white Rutgers hockey jersey, that was me. I managed to get it on the jumboscreen for a couple seconds this time.
I see Denver won the Frozen Four beating Minnesota State. Denver has always recruited Canada heavily and this year’s roster was no different.
As for Rutgers Ice Hockey in the BigTen, I honestly think it would be difficult to draw fans unless they develop huge community support from folks within a half hour away from whatever the home arena would be. I think it could be done but getting huge student turnouts would be difficult, especially at first. This is coming from a guy who played summer open age tournaments in 2019 along side an active-at-the-time Rutgers club hockey player.

I see Denver won the Frozen Four beating Minnesota State. Denver has always recruited Canada heavily and this year’s roster was no different.
As for Rutgers Ice Hockey in the BigTen, I honestly think it would be difficult to draw fans unless they develop huge community support from folks within a half hour away from whatever the home arena would be. I think it could be done but getting huge student turnouts would be difficult, especially at first. This is coming from a guy who played summer open age tournaments in 2019 along side an active-at-the-time Rutgers club hockey player.
I really think there is enough support, but it has to involve an arena on campus for it to be done right, and funding that is what's preventing it from happening any time in the near future. A former club player that played in one of the adult leagues I ran was pushing hard for it a few years ago and got a few thousand signatures on an online petition, and I believe there were meetings with one or two ADs over the years, but it just comes down to funding, and right now they struggle to fund the currently existing sports. The only way it happens anytime soon is if some very wealthy person fronts the money for it, like what happened at Penn State.

Reactions: phlop87
I really think there is enough support, but it has to involve an arena on campus for it to be done right, and funding that is what's preventing it from happening any time in the near future. A former club player that played in one of the adult leagues I ran was pushing hard for it a few years ago and got a few thousand signatures on an online petition, and I believe there were meetings with one or two ADs over the years, but it just comes down to funding, and right now they struggle to fund the currently existing sports. The only way it happens anytime soon is if some very wealthy person fronts the money for it, like what happened at Penn State.
Penn State has more of a captive audience than Rutgers since a good percentage of the students there live more than 2 1/2 hours away from State College. And, hockey in central and western PA has certainly become very popular due to the success the Penguins have had with Mario and now Sid. Much of PA is now a two pro-sport state…football in fall and hockey in winter.

Penn State has more of a captive audience than Rutgers since a good percentage of the students there live more than 2 1/2 hours away from State College. And, hockey in central and western PA has certainly become very popular due to the success the Penguins have had with Mario and now Sid. Much of PA is now a two pro-sport state…football in fall and hockey in winter.
A Rutgers team probably wouldn't have as big a fanbase as Penn State, but I still think there's enough for a fanbase to support the team as long as it's on campus and a wealthy donor fronts the startup costs, mainly the arena. Hobey Baker only holds 2000 people, I think we could sell that out if the team is competitive. Whether or not 2000 per game is enough to sustain the program though, I'm not sure.

A Rutgers team probably wouldn't have as big a fanbase as Penn State, but I still think there's enough for a fanbase to support the team as long as it's on campus and a wealthy donor fronts the startup costs, mainly the arena. Hobey Baker only holds 2000 people, I think we could sell that out if the team is competitive. Whether or not 2000 per game is enough to sustain the program though, I'm not sure.
Most college hockey rinks are in the 3500-5000 capacity. 3500-4000 is a nice size and I think Rutgers could support that. Not sure if the B1G has certain requirements. The best part of college hockey is the games are usually Friday & Saturday night. You get a good non-student crowd on those nights. It becomes an event like football.

Reactions: robcac26
Being a rag fan, it must not be an unusual feeling to have your soul crushed.
True. However, when that guy held up the sign that said "Now I can die in peace" after the cup win in '94, I was at peace. I saw my team win. That's all that matters. That and "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau"! 😀

Newark? Too small of a fan base for the general public to care.
I used to work in Newark and have no issues going there. However, I hate that arena. They should have stayed in the Meadowlands. The parade in the parking lot was a better option than one in Newark (if that ever happens).

I used to work in Newark and have no issues going there. However, I hate that arena. They should have stayed in the Meadowlands. The parade in the parking lot was a better option than one in Newark (if that ever happens).
The Prudential Center is much more accessible, even with the rail link from Secaucus to the Meadowlands. However, I agree with you that the parking lot parties were much better than a parade. People poke fun at the parking lot parties instead of a parade, but everyone who was there got to see the entire thing instead of watching the party drive past you.

True. However, when that guy held up the sign that said "Now I can die in peace" after the cup win in '94, I was at peace. I saw my team win. That's all that matters. That and "Matteau, Matteau, Matteau"! 😀
I will not waste my time posting a video of something that happened on 5/25/12 BUT as Doc. said, "THEY SCORE, HENRIQUE, IT'S OVER". Over time over the RAGS. HOW SWEET THE MEMORY IS! So, keep living in the last century. I will take more recent history. I am glad you saw your team win once, ONCE? HAHAHA. I saw mine win THREE.

Reactions: TM94goRU
I will not waste my time posting a video of something that happened on 5/25/12 BUT as Doc. said, "THEY SCORE, HENRIQUE, IT'S OVER". Over time over the RAGS. HOW SWEET THE MEMORY IS! So, keep living in the last century. I will take more recent history. I am glad you saw your team win once, ONCE? HAHAHA. I saw mine win THREE.
That's cute.
Four in a row, was almost a five-bagger.
😉

That's OK. I am playing golf tomorrow with a bunch of the Devils. They are getting an early start since the season is over.

They made a 30/30 about it. I didn't see any for the Devils.
You didn't see it for the Devils because the world was used to seeing them win. The Devils won AGAIN? What else is new? The rags winning WAS big because they sucked for so long that everyone would not believe it unless they saw it happen on tape in a show like 30/30.

Reactions: TM94goRU
About time he actually did something
Was a healthy scratch recently

unheard-of for #1 overall picks

The problem is the position he plays. Hard to find good linemates when he's behind Kreider and Panarin. Gallant is handling him better than Quinn, but that's the big problem.
He is NOT the guy that can create plays on his own; at least not yet. Stick him on the 3rd or 4th lines, and we won't see a whole lot.

But, I agree, today's goal was the first time I felt he created his own scoring chance. After beating the d-man, the net was YAWNING, and he created that. Now, if I saw that every 2 or 3 games, I'd feel a whole lot better.

The problem is the position he plays. Hard to find good linemates when he's behind Kreider and Panarin. Gallant is handling him better than Quinn, but that's the big problem.
He is NOT the guy that can create plays on his own; at least not yet. Stick him on the 3rd or 4th lines, and we won't see a whole lot.

But, I agree, today's goal was the first time I felt he created his own scoring chance. After beating the d-man, the net was YAWNING, and he created that. Now, if I saw that every 2 or 3 games, I'd feel a whole lot better.
Kid is 20 and gets bleh minutes. He's gonna be fine.

Lafreniere is second on the Rangers in 5v5 goals per 60 over the last year or so. Chytil had the highest 5v5 points per 60 last year and is pretty high this year.

One of the trade offs of speeding up the rebuild by signing Panarin, trading for Trouba, etc. is that the Rangers young players are getting much less power play time and ice time in general than young players who go to bad teams generally do,

Their development is definitely slowed down by the Rangers concentrating on winning rather than developing.

Lafreniere is second on the Rangers in 5v5 goals per 60 over the last year or so. Chytil had the highest 5v5 points per 60 last year and is pretty high this year.

One of the trade offs of speeding up the rebuild by signing Panarin, trading for Trouba, etc. is that the Rangers young players are getting much less power play time and ice time in general than young players who go to bad teams generally do,

Their development is definitely slowed down by the Rangers concentrating on winning rather than developing.
The kids, especially LaF, will be fine. Only garbage teams with no talent can play younglings on the top line.

The kids, especially LaF, will be fine. Only garbage teams with no talent can play younglings on the top line.

At some point, they need to make room for Othmann as well. I'm sure Laf will be fine, but Zap's comments centered around him not being able to get through traffic, and that is a fair concern to this point.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT