ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

Preseason but young guns look good !!
Holtz and Mercer make the team ??
Hughes takes big step ?
Goaltender away from playoffs ??
Enough pieces to make trade for Star player ?

I like separate team threads

I don’t care about the Rangers or islanders third defensive pairing anymore then rangers fans care about which young kids make the devils roster

Reactions: mdh2003
I like separate team threads

I don’t care about the Rangers or islanders third defensive pairing anymore then rangers fans care about which young kids make the devils roster
Kinda this.

Not sure about all the locals, but I have seen separate ones for NYY, NYM, and NYG. I think there is enough interest for at least NJD and NYR ones. Plus, as the only local with a pulse, NYI deserves one.

Not sure about PHI, but I’ve always thought that there could be a pretty strong all-inclusive Philly sports thread here for Eagles/Phillies/Flyers/etc.

Xfinity dropped the New Jersey Devils! Switch now to get your games and #KeepMSG! More info at KEEPMSG.com or call 833-KEEP-MSG.

243720911_23848510601100640_6442401950959292788_n.png.jpg

The questions still swirling around the margins of the Rangers’ roster

Amazing that the NY Post thinks Rangers fans will pay extra money to subscribe just to be able to read the crap Larry Brooks writes.

Doubly amazing that the highest revenue team in the league can have two of its main beat writers be total hacks like Brooks and that moron Carpinello from the Athletic.

Amazing that the NY Post thinks Rangers fans will pay extra money to subscribe just to be able to read the crap Larry Brooks writes.

Doubly amazing that the highest revenue team in the league can have two of its main beat writers be total hacks like Brooks and that moron Carpinello from the Athletic.
I'm so glad someone else thinks this.

NJ.com and Bergen Record don't plan to cover the Devils this year:

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: rurichdog
I'm so glad someone else thinks this.
I had a subscription to the Athletic, and thought some of their content is really outstanding, but I cancelled mainly because I couldn't stand the thought that even a few pennies of my money was going to pay Carpinello for the absolute crap he would post daily on the Rangers.

It's like they took a random person out of the crowd who screams "Shoot!" all game and gave him a platform to argue how the hockey played in the 70's, when fighting was important and there were no analytics and few Europeans, was the NHL glory days we should be trying to recapture.

Preseason but young guns look good !!
Holtz and Mercer make the team ??
Hughes takes big step ?
Goaltender away from playoffs ??
Enough pieces to make trade for Star player ?
The young guns look better then good. Mercer in particular.

My thought is both make the team out of the gate, with Mercer being the more likely of the two to stick with the team for the whole season.

I also think Hughes will take that next step, and that next step is production. If you look at his underlying #'s, I think it shows he was very good at controlling play, possessing the puck generating chances, he just needs to figure out how to finish(or get in line with team mates so they finish).

Need Blackwood to get that vax.

I would not look to acquire a star player, or better put, another start player. Hamilton might not be a star name, but he brings a star level of play, so I think with him(and to a lesser extent Tatar) in the fold, it's really just about letting the young players grow into star status.

I saw something the other day showing the chances of each team to make the playoffs. And while it did give the Devils a 70ish% chance of making the playoffs, what I really thought was interesting was the parity within our division. Most other divisions have clear cut top teams, and some clear cut bottom feeders, not so much in the Atlantic.

Reactions: RUinBoston
The young guns look better then good. Mercer in particular.

My thought is both make the team out of the gate, with Mercer being the more likely of the two to stick with the team for the whole season.

I also think Hughes will take that next step, and that next step is production. If you look at his underlying #'s, I think it shows he was very good at controlling play, possessing the puck generating chances, he just needs to figure out how to finish(or get in line with team mates so they finish).

Need Blackwood to get that vax.

I would not look to acquire a star player, or better put, another start player. Hamilton might not be a star name, but he brings a star level of play, so I think with him(and to a lesser extent Tatar) in the fold, it's really just about letting the young players grow into star status.

I saw something the other day showing the chances of each team to make the playoffs. And while it did give the Devils a 70ish% chance of making the playoffs, what I really thought was interesting was the parity within our division. Most other divisions have clear cut top teams, and some clear cut bottom feeders, not so much in the Atlantic.
70%? Seems a bit high. With the Atlantic having 4 really good teams, seems unlikely that the Met will have more than 4 slots. And they may have just have 3.

CAR and NYI are complete locks
I‘ve been calling for inevitable slide of PIT and WAS for years and gotten burned. It’s gonna happen, will it be this year?
NYR were close last year. And you can argue without a crazy set of events, in a normal year, they may have made it.
PHI is hard to figure out. Probably still on the outside.
CLB does not look like a threat, but did finish ahead of NJD.

So, NJD has to jump over what, 4-5 teams? Don’t see it happening. But like all teams, they have a punchers chance. Certainly not a 70% one. My guess - more like 20%. Forget about the wait and the pain of only 1 one-and-done playoff appearance in 9 years. Just judging the current team, playoffs would be a huge achievement for a team this young and this many question marks. I think they will get there, especially as NYI/WAS/PIT start declining, just not yet.

70%? Seems a bit high. With the Atlantic having 4 really good teams, seems unlikely that the Met will have more than 4 slots. And they may have just have 3.

I‘ve been calling for inevitable slide of PIT and WAS for years and gotten burned. It’s gonna happen, will it be this year?
NYR were close last year. And you can argue without a crazy set of events, in a normal year, they may have made it.

So, NJD has to jump over what, 4-5 teams? Don’t see it happening. But like all teams, they have a punchers chance. Certainly not a 70% one. My guess - more like 20%. Forget about the wait and the pain of only 1 one-and-done playoff appearance in 9 years. Just judging the current team, playoffs would be a huge achievement for a team this young and this many question marks. I think they will get there, especially as NYI/WAS/PIT start declining, just not yet.
This division is impossible to figure out. I agree that the Isles look like a lock. I know it sounds crazy but CAR went from a tram with a deep defensive group to one with some questions and I still wonder what they are doing with their goaltending.

I am not big on team in their third year of AV coaching them but the Flyers did deal with the big hole losing Niskanen at the last minute caused last year.

I think this is finally the year the window slams shut for Pittsburgh or Washington.

I thought it was high as well, pretty sure the model came from someone that was big on metrics, thus the additions of Hamilton Graves and Tatar was a big boost.

Not so sure NYI is a lock though. Colorado is a lock, TB is a lock, the Isles? Not so much imo.

This division is impossible to figure out. I agree that the Isles look like a lock. I know it sounds crazy but CAR went from a tram with a deep defensive group to one with some questions and I still wonder what they are doing with their goaltending.

I am not big on team in their third year of AV coaching them but the Flyers did deal with the big hole losing Niskanen at the last minute caused last year.

I think this is finally the year the window slams shut for Pittsburgh or Washington.
Ha, true!

IMO, I think coaching for CAR makes the difference. Brindy seems to squeeze every last drop out of them.

Yeah, when PIT and WAS drop, it’s gonna get ugly. And ugly fast. Even though they have been a top 4 team the past few years, I can see a light at the end for NYI too. But, the drop won’t nearly be as far and as fast. When those 3 leave the scene, you‘ll see some of the younger teams (NYR/NJD) fill their place at the top.

I thought it was high as well, pretty sure the model came from someone that was big on metrics, thus the additions of Hamilton Graves and Tatar was a big boost.

Not so sure NYI is a lock though. Colorado is a lock, TB is a lock, the Isles? Not so much imo.
On one hand, you have a point. NYI is not built for reg reason romps - it always has that pesky issue with scoring. They are a proven thick, defensive, first 2 round busting playoff team.

But what the hey, bold prediction time: Unless something catastrophic happens, NYI will finish in the top 3 in the MET. That is the mdh-gah-run-tee.

Reactions: RU-05
Go Kraken
I saw that they already released the player they took from the Flyers in the expansion draft. I will never understand what their strategy was that night.

On the ice, they should be very solid at keeping the other team from scoring but it is hard to see where enough scoring on offense comes from.

I saw that they already released the player they took from the Flyers in the expansion draft. I will never understand what their strategy was that night.

On the ice, they should be very solid at keeping the other team from scoring but it is hard to see where enough scoring on offense comes from.
There were much better options from Philly

What do you think Krup, is Galant going to put out a lineup tonight that’s not all jumbled up?
I think it’s time to play your regulars and roll 3 lines with the 4th getting its 8 minutes

What do you think Krup, is Galant going to put out a lineup tonight that’s not all jumbled up?
I think it’s time to play your regulars and roll 3 lines with the 4th getting its 8 minutes
I sure hope this isn’t his standard lineup with Tinordi in there instead of Nemeth, Jones or Schneider.

FWIW, another vote for keeping it as a single NHL thread. We're all in the same division, so there's a lot of overlap. I get perspective on the Rags and Devils that I probably wouldn't go looking for otherwise.

Let's go Islanders!

What’s the time allotment for the bus trip from Long Island to the Rock for a 7 pm game?
Only in special circumstances, like when I played against the Mets in NY and had team permission to stay at my home in Montclair, could I find my own transportation to an away game.
Apparently the Islanders team bus trip was excruciatingly long before the power outage canceled the game

The NHL's new entry is already down 2-0 with only 7 minutes gone in Las Vegas.They were thought to be a contender in their division.Guess not.

Of course,they may have been weakened by having to leave behind in the Evergreen State 4 of their players due to you know the thing.

Probably a little early to be writing them off. It’s halfway through their first game and they play in the weakest division.

But yeah — not expecting much. Their expansion draft was questionable to put it nicely. I’m not sure they’re the new VGK.

The NHL's new entry is already down 2-0 with only 7 minutes gone in Las Vegas.They were thought to be a contender in their division.Guess not.

Of course,they may have been weakened by having to leave behind in the Evergreen State 4 of their players due to you know the thing.
Your basing this on 10 minutes.

Reactions: RU-05

Are readers of the OP really taking this seriously? I’m concerned.

Early returns on TNT’s NHL coverage: not good. Barkley in studio is ridiculous. Talking to Gretzky in the studio during live game action while two goals are being scored is mind boggling.

Early returns on the Rangers: meh, Georgiev still sucks. Tinordi needs to be in the AHL in about 90 minutes.

Rangers looked awful. Rangers need to develop their young players better such as Kreider (though he's not young anymore) / Kakko and Lafrieniere etc. I expect them to win tomorrow .

• Haha
Reactions: Proud NJ Sports Fan
The Rangers did a much better job taking the body, and with physical play, 😆.

Who is expecting them to be a contender? Their entire roster includes one 30-goal season, and that was 10 years ago when Jordan Eberle was playing with Taylor Hall. Either way, it's ridiculous to assess a team 7 minutes into their first ever game when they're taking on one of the top teams in the league. They ended up coming back to tie the game and lost by one.

Reactions: Block R
Why did Igor not start in the opener last night ?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT