ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a boarding call, when the player that went into the boards, clearly lost an edge.

If I didn't know better, I would think that Panarin is throwing the game and series. Playing horrendous so far. He has to turn it around at MSG.

Best of Luck,
Groz

You are never really in trouble in a series until you lose at home, to be fair, hang in their.

Now onto Alberta, #97 is the new #99 in Edmonton, what a goal!

You are never really in trouble in a series until you lose at home, to be fair, hang in their.

Now onto Alberta, #97 is the new #99 in Edmonton, what a goal!
McDavid is unreal. Doesn’t the Calgary ice rink look smaller than other rinks ? It looks uniquely different.

Reactions: TM94goRU
McDavid is unreal. Doesn’t the Calgary ice rink look smaller than other rinks ? It looks uniquely different.
Yes it does. Maybe they wanted to be as different on the inside of the building, as they are on the outside, 😆.

Hockey talk slowing down here, cmon folks.

Rangers tie up their series with the Canes 2-2. Home ice holding true this far. Can the Rangers find a way to break through in Carolina Thursday night?

Hockey talk slowing down here, cmon folks.

Rangers tie up their series with the Canes 2-2. Home ice holding true this far. Can the Rangers find a way to break through in Carolina Thursday night?
rangers fans get strangely quiet when losing

Down 2-1. Silence. Again.
Your e doubling down on that ignorant angle? It takes about it 10 seconds to see that this thread died down after the Rangers WON the game on Sunday.

Most Ranger fans are just like most Rutgers fans. They (myself included) are better at complaining than dealing with success.

Reactions: Section124
Down 2-1. Silence. Again.
Not sure how you post this when the series was tied 2-2 for more than ½ hour at the time. Personally I have been busy with family this past weekend, work and getting ready to travel for the weekend. I have watched every game and enjoyed the last 2.

Think about how the series' progressed. Many Rangers fans felt screwed in Game 1 vs. Pitt; likely GWG disallowed that caused a heartbreaking home loss.

This series has been decided on the ice. Was I disappointed by Game 1? Yes. But, the Rangers did not close out the game; that is their fault.

Different opinion of opponent also matters.

As a fan of a non-playoff team, why do you care?

Canes goal was off such a weak zone entry turnover by Trouba. And then the Rangers goal was on a PP when Cole took a terrible cross check penalty. I guess these things even out, but as a Rangers fan, c'mon Trouba!

Canes goal was off such a weak zone entry turnover by Trouba. And then the Rangers goal was on a PP when Cole took a terrible cross check penalty. I guess these things even out, but as a Rangers fan, c'mon Trouba!

Trouba giveaway was bad. Think the lone defender needed to stay closer to the middle to protect against the pass; the shooter is Igor's guy. The one in a 2 on 1 has to keep the pass from going through.

Mistake, bit move on now.

At least THAT review was the correct call. LOL.

One day, we'll get one of those our way though. I'm an optimist.

Trouba giveaway was bad. Think the lone defender needed to stay closer to the middle to protect against the pass; the shooter is Igor's guy. The one in a 2 on 1 has to keep the pass from going through.

Mistake, bit move on now.
Eh I thought he played it pretty well, it was just a perfect saucer pass by Staal. The idea that the defender always takes away the pass on a 2 on 1 is actually a common misconception. I used to think that too until I was fortunate enough to be teammates with a goalie who had played in the ECHL. He explained that the defender's role on a 2 on 1 is really to prevent the shot from coming from the middle. For example if you have two right-handed guys coming at you, you want the guy on your left to be the shooter because it means the shot comes from a worse angle, so if the guy on your right has the puck, you go to him so he passes. If the guy on your left already has it, you take away the passing lane but you don't go too close to the open guy because you're trying to make the guy shoot as opposed to letting him walk right in front on a breakaway and deke the goalie.

This goal was a little different since the shot was coming from the outside no matter what since it was a lefty on the left and a righty on the right, but I still think he did what he could and just got beat by a perfect pass. Sometimes doing everything right isn't enough to overcome being outnumbered.

Welp I was hoping the Battle of Alberta would go 7 games but McDavid just ended it. He's putting up Gretzky numbers so far this postseason, hopefully he keeps it up.

Controversial call late in the 3rd though, Coleman directed the puck in with his skate to give Calgary a late lead but it was deemed to be a kick so it was overturned. I felt it was the right call but they really need to change this rule because it's a gray area almost every time. Every league should do what the WHL did about 5-6 years ago--if a puck goes off a skate outside the crease it's a goal, and if it goes off a skate inside the crease then it's no goal. No more struggling with everyone's differing interpretation of what "distinct kicking motion" actually means.

Coleman's foot changed direction as he made contact, so I thought it was the right call. That said, it calls out for a rule's clarification, like the Brett Hull's skate in the crease goal to win the '99 Stanley Cup against the Sabers.

Welp I was hoping the Battle of Alberta would go 7 games but McDavid just ended it. He's putting up Gretzky numbers so far this postseason, hopefully he keeps it up.

Controversial call late in the 3rd though, Coleman directed the puck in with his skate to give Calgary a late lead but it was deemed to be a kick so it was overturned. I felt it was the right call but they really need to change this rule because it's a gray area almost every time. Every league should do what the WHL did about 5-6 years ago--if a puck goes off a skate outside the crease it's a goal, and if it goes off a skate inside the crease then it's no goal. No more struggling with everyone's differing interpretation of what "distinct kicking motion" actually means.
If you’re clearly doing a Ronaldo no matter where on the ice I don’t think it should be a goal. Same where it’s clearly incidental, crease or no grease…goal.

And with replay now it does make it easier IMO to get it right.
Coleman's foot changed direction as he made contact, so I thought it was the right call. That said, it calls out for a rule's clarification, like the Brett Hull's skate in the crease goal to win the '99 Stanley Cup against the Sabers.
Agree.

Watching it live from the first angle, behind the play, it looked at the bare minimum a reviewable call.

And I wanted Calgary too.😕

Reactions: TM94goRU
If you’re clearly doing a Ronaldo no matter where on the ice I don’t think it should be a goal. Same where it’s clearly incidental, crease or no grease…goal.

Agree.

Watching it live from the first angle, behind the play, it looked at the bare minimum a reviewable call.

The idea isn't so much to allow kicking, it's to just ensure consistency by eliminating the gray area. Conversely, they could also just make any goal that goes off a skate disallowed. Just one way or the other so that it's not such a coin flip on which way the review is going to go. Of course if you wind up and punt it, everyone knows that's a kick, or if you have no idea where the puck is and it bounces off your skate and in, that's clearly not a kick, but the majority of these reviews involve a player intentionally redirecting the puck in a motion that some people may determine to be a "distinct kicking motion" while others may not. "Distinct kicking motion" isn't defined well enough and it probably isn't possible to do so.

Agree.

Same here, plus I am a big Coleman fan from "pickle juices" Devils days.

Rangers continue to show a lot of heart. Game 7 at Carolina will be tough, but regardless what happens, it's been a hell of a season. The future is bright.

Reactions: Section124
On train coming home from game. Nice rowdy crowd. We will win game 7 if Igor plays well imho.
Hopefully Gallant leaves the kid line alone this time and doesn’t outsmart himself by moving people around like putting Kakko on the 4th line.

Not having Chytil get the least amount of 5v5 ice time among all Ranger forwards (even less than Reaves) might be a good idea as well.

Have to find a way in Carolina.

I'm thinking try to get under their skin. Most of the Canes are disciplined, but Cole, DeAngelo and Martinook are hot heads. Might the Rangers get them off their game and take bad penalties?

To Krup's point, the idea of breaking up the kid line was bad. Maybe Gallant was trying to create confusion to get Mika free from Staal's line, but it didn't work, and Brind A'mour is a good coach. Don't do it again. LOL

Drives me nuts when my Ranger defenseman stop behind the net after a dump and change by the Canes.
It only happens after we pin them in their own zone which is rare, but when it does we have free ice to the blue line we don’t take advantage of.
Instead we change simultaneously with them and our D men wait for the forwards to circle back, I get the 5 man unit thing, but we also allow the Canes to set up their forecheck with fresh players.
Take the free ice and forget about the circle back!!!!

In Game 7 - team that scores first wins 75% of time - so I heard on espn today.

My most memorable Ranger Games 7:

- Wins over Devils and Canucks in 94. Nothing needs to be said as Devils game 7 and Devils series may have been best ever ! Canucks Game 7 killed all my demons !

- Loss to Flyers in 74 semis. That hurt.

- Last round vs Penguins. I was at the game.

ADVERTISEMENT