ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021-22 NHL Regular Season Thread

It’s the one opponent where the Rangers don’t have a goaltending advantage, though.
It ll be the only series where that’s the case. If we should beat Tampa , we have strong goalie advantage over Colorado or Edmonton.

It ll be the only series where that’s the case. If we should beat Tampa , we have strong goalie advantage over Colorado or Edmonton.
I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, because we haven’t gotten out of round 2 yet let alone the semis, but the Rangers would need every bit of Shesterkin’s talent the way the first lines of EDM and COL are playing. Breaking Tampa’s streak of 10 series wins would be a huge accomplishment before that.

That Western series starting tomorrow should be a lot of fun to watch.

I don’t want to get too far ahead of myself, because we haven’t gotten out of round 2 yet let alone the semis, but the Rangers would need every bit of Shesterkin’s talent the way the first lines of EDM and COL are playing. Breaking Tampa’s streak of 10 series wins would be a huge accomplishment before that.

That Western series starting tomorrow should be a lot of fun to watch.
Game 7 was over when it was 2-0. Igor was on his game and we took the heart out of Hurricanes with Jarvis hit and when Raanta got hurt. Hit on Jarvis was reminiscent of Stevens hit on Lindros about 20 years ago. In playoffs.

Reactions: T2Kplus20
Game 7 was over when it was 2-0. Igor was on his game and we took the heart out of Hurricanes with Jarvis hit and when Raanta got hurt. Hit on Jarvis was reminiscent of Stevens hit on Lindros about 20 years ago. In playoffs.
Time for a series with the two best goalies in the world. NYR vs. TB and Edmonton vs. Colorado.....two dream match-ups for the NHL.

Last edited:
Stevens was so intimidating back then. You would think players are going to have to keep their heads up whenever Trouba is on the ice because he appears to have mastered the devastating, but still legal under this era’s rules, big hit.

NYR 3-0 vs. TB this season. Good match-up for the Rangers or irrelevant now we are in the playoffs. TB has the heart of a champion, so it will be a tough, tough series.

Reactions: Section124
Did DeAngelo and Georgiev shake hands?

I'm guessing yes, but they cut away.
I was interested in seeing that too, as well as the interaction between DeAngelo and Gallant, but of course the clueless ESPN crew didn't show either of those.

NYR 3-0 vs. TB this season. Good match-up for the Rangers or irrelevant now we are in the playoffs. TB has the heart of a champion, so it will be a tough, tough series.
Regular season head-to-head means nothing in the playoffs, especially when they only met three times, small sample size.

I was interested in seeing that too, as well as the interaction between DeAngelo and Gallant, but of course the clueless ESPN crew didn't show either of those.

Regular season head-to-head means nothing in the playoffs, especially when they only met three times, small sample size.
At this point TB must view the regular season as just a long warmup for the playoffs, so I am not getting excited about the Rangers doing well against them months ago.

It’s the one opponent where the Rangers don’t have a goaltending advantage, though.
And since they like to make mediocre goaltenders look outstanding, I'm worried what they'll make an outstanding goalie look like...

Was just in Denver for the last week. Just landed in Newark. I would have loved to go to game 1 tonight against the Oilers. Everyone in the bars was rooting for the Rangers last night. Great time had by all. And I got to see Jesus Sanchez hit a 496 ft HR at the Rockies game yesterday. Longest HR in MLB since 2019. Great day for sports.

It's a colossal nightmare. Thanks for reminding me. But, I'm cashing in on the rags Game 7 magic. It's a win-win for me.

I dont know what to expect from the next series; obviously, the Lightning know what it takes to win. If the Rangers lose, but learn what it takes to be a champ, then we're better for it.

At the start of the season, I wanted them to MAKE the playoffs. After making the playoffs, they have fought of elimination five times. This was the experience I wanted this young team to get. I don't believe they are TRUE contenders yet, but they need to know why this trophy is so hard to win.

Looking forward to what they can do.

And since they like to make mediocre goaltenders look outstanding, I'm worried what they'll make an outstanding goalie look like...
I actually think their playing style fits this task.

One of the things that is normally considered a fault for them is not shooting enough and instead looking for the extra pass before shooting.

Against mediocre goalies that is stupid because you want to give them as many shots as possible knowing they will mess some up eventually.

Against Vassy it is smart because he will stop all of the normal shots and you do need to make the extra pass to hopefully get him out of position.

I dont know what to expect from the next series; obviously, the Lightning know what it takes to win. If the Rangers lose, but learn what it takes to be a champ, then we're better for it.

At the start of the season, I wanted them to MAKE the playoffs. After making the playoffs, they have fought of elimination five times. This was the experience I wanted this young team to get. I don't believe they are TRUE contenders yet, but they need to know why this trophy is so hard to win.

Looking forward to what they can do.
These playoffs have been great no matter what happens next for a few reasons.

-K’Andre Miller is growing into a high end defenseman before our eyes.

-Lafreniere is playing the best he has as a Ranger and gaining a lot of confidence.

-Chytil is producing like the analytics people said he had been playing all along, so if they were really thinking of trading him as rumored they have to be backing off of that.

-Shesterkin went through his playoff adjustment period and should be good from here.

-if they were dumb enough to think about resigning Strome they have to be reconsidering that.

I actually think their playing style fits this task.

One of the things that is normally considered a fault for them is not shooting enough and instead looking for the extra pass before shooting.

Against mediocre goalies that is stupid because you want to give them as many shots as possible knowing they will mess some up eventually.

Against Vassy it is smart because he will stop all of the normal shots and you do need to make the extra pass to hopefully get him out of position.
^^^^^ Very good post. 3-0 this season against TB backs this up.

If you like a lot of scoring, speed, and tons of open ice, this Avs/Oilers western conference final is for you! Already 3-2 Avs after just one period of play. Why did I not bet the over pre-game when it was 6.5?

Side note: TNT’s coverage has been better than ESPN’s. Better studio crew, better play-by-play (Albert vs McDonough), better color guy (Eddie O), Keith Jones between the benches. But their rules “expert” is Don Koharski. Whatever he says, the opposite will be the call on the ice. Just happened again at the end of the first period. Not surprising given what I remember of him.

How can you not love this Av’s- Oilers game. This is 80’s hockey all over again. Love it!

As an other fan, the Rangers win the other night leaves me zero teams left I wouldn’t mind see win the cup this year.
I wouldn't mind seeing Edmonton win. I rarely get to watch McDavid due to time zones and being in Edmonton, and he is something special. Wouldn't mind a Canadian team winning as well.

Given a choice, I will be rooting for:

Edmonton
Tampa
Colorado
Rangers

In that order.

If you like a lot of scoring, speed, and tons of open ice, this Avs/Oilers western conference final is for you! Already 3-2 Avs after just one period of play. Why did I not bet the over pre-game when it was 6.5?

Side note: TNT’s coverage has been better than ESPN’s. Better studio crew, better play-by-play (Albert vs McDonough), better color guy (Eddie O), Keith Jones between the benches. But their rules “expert” is Don Koharski. Whatever he says, the opposite will be the call on the ice. Just happened again at the end of the first period. Not surprising given what I remember of him.
Ah I think TNT's studio analysis is terrible. I pretty much tune them out now but in the intermissions I actually watched, they seemed to spend more time joking around with each other and talking about who tweeted what than actually discussing the game.

Regarding Koharski though, you're not going to find anyone who is more of a rules expert than a retired NHL ref. He did get that offsides challenge wrong, but so did just about everyone except for the guys actually officiating the game. It sure looked offside until you notice that Makar never actually touched the puck during the time that both the puck and Nichushkin's skates were in the attack zone.

These goalies in Edmonton - Colorado series are awful.

- First team hat scores 2 goals in Rangers - Tampa series will win

- First team hat scores 7 goals in Edmonton - Colorado series will win.

Whatta contrast in styles.

Stanley Cup Finals will be wild given the diverse team styles !

Reactions: robcac26

If either of the Western finalists had either of the Eastern finalists' goalies, they'd be seemingly unstoppable.

Goalies and defense. Mike Smith is flat out terrible. Flipping and flailing all over the place. Edmonton’s defenseman were worse than Smith.

Is it legal to push the puck ahead knowing that your teammate is trying to get onside. I guess no difference than dumping it in to the zone

Is it legal to push the puck ahead knowing that your teammate is trying to get onside. I guess no difference than dumping it in to the zone
Yep, as long as no contact is made with the puck while a player is offside, it's good. I doubt that is what Makar meant to do, it was completely accidental but the right call nonetheless.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Yep, as long as no contact is made with the puck while a player is offside, it's good. I doubt that is what Makar meant to do, it was completely accidental but the right call nonetheless.
If it was give him credit for 2 goals.....I believe COL scored on the PP from the unsuccessful challenge

Not sure. The Rangers had a goal disallowed because Strome passed the puck before Copp got out. I think it's possible Makar did that intentionally. Super smart if he did.

Not sure. The Rangers had a goal disallowed because Strome passed the puck before Copp got out. I think it's possible Makar did that intentionally. Super smart if he did.
That play was offside because Strome touched the puck in the attack zone before Copp left the zone. The pass was irrelevant, it was offside as soon as Strome touched the puck.

You can see it 45 seconds into this video:

That play was offside because Strome touched the puck in the attack zone before Copp left the zone. The pass was irrelevant, it was offside as soon as Strome touched the puck.

You can see it 45 seconds into this video:

I wasn't disagreeing. I was pointing out why one was off, and last night's was good.

I wasn't disagreeing. I was pointing out why one was off, and last night's was good.
No problem, when you said "not sure" I thought you meant you weren't sure about the ruling. With how many calls are overturned for offsides, I can't help but wonder how many big goals were scored before this was reviewable that should have never counted.

No problem, when you said "not sure" I thought you meant you weren't sure about the ruling. With how many calls are overturned for offsides, I can't help but wonder how many big goals were scored before this was reviewable that should have never counted.

No, unsure about whether Makar was wicked smart or dumb lucky. LOL

No, unsure about whether Makar was wicked smart or dumb lucky. LOL
Ha I think it was way too smooth and way too quick for anyone to time it that perfectly. If he was looking at Nichushkin, then maybe, but even as good as he is, I think he just got lucky.

These playoffs have been great no matter what happens next for a few reasons.

-K’Andre Miller is growing into a high end defenseman before our eyes.

-Lafreniere is playing the best he has as a Ranger and gaining a lot of confidence.

-Chytil is producing like the analytics people said he had been playing all along, so if they were really thinking of trading him as rumored they have to be backing off of that.

-Shesterkin went through his playoff adjustment period and should be good from here.

-if they were dumb enough to think about resigning Strome they have to be reconsidering that.
Agree on all points. AND, I'd add that Zibanajed has played well in big spots. I want more out of him, but hasn't been as terrible as advertised.

Panarin, on the other hand, has made one play all post season. I don't get it.

On train coming home from game 1 win vs Tampa. Whatta game ! Man was team clicking and crowd was outstanding. The sequence where Chytil scored when we controlled the puck for several minutes was amazing ! I really think we re going to the finals though we ll see a different Tampa team in game 2 I’m sure. Go Rangers !

Reactions: T2Kplus20
On train coming home from game 1 win vs Tampa. Whatta game ! Man was team clicking and crowd was outstanding. The sequence where Chytil scored when we controlled the puck for several minutes was amazing ! I really think we re going to the finals though we ll see a different Tampa team in game 2 I’m sure. Go Rangers !
Tampa is on an 18 game playoff streak of winning their next game after a loss.

Friday night’s game will be tough, but if the Rangers find a way to win it would be a real mental blow for Tampa (especially with word getting out yesterday after he skated that Point has little chance of making it back for this series).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT