ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NBA Draft

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
Key Dates:
  • May 30, 2021: Early entry application deadline (10:59 p.m. CT)
  • June 21 - June 27, 2021: NBA Draft Combine, which ESPN will broadcast. The telecast will include footage of five-on-five games and strength and agility testing.
  • June 22, 2021: NBA Draft Lottery (7:30 p.m. CT), which ESPN will broadcast.
  • July 7, 2021: NCAA Early Entry Withdrawal deadline
  • July 19, 2021: NBA Early Entry Withdrawal deadline (4 p.m. CT)
  • July 29: NBA Draft (7 p.m. CT), which ESPN will broadcast.

Figured start a general NBA Draft discussion outside the dedicated Geo/RHJ threads.

***NOTE: Updated to add the July 7th NCAA withdrawal deadline. NCAA requires a player to withdraw within 10 days of Draft combine ending***

Last edited:
Jalen Suggs has declared for the draft.

That solidifies the projected Top 5 (in no order):

Cade Cunningham (Fr-Ok St)
Evan Mobley (Fr-USC)
Jalen Suggs (Fr-Gonzaga)
Jonathan Kuminga (G-League Elite)
Jalen Green (G-League Elite)

Seems everyone agrees on this group as the Top 5 prospects. #6 is where opinions begin to differ.

Does anyone know what percentage of second round picks actually make the roster?
Of the 2020 draft class, 25/30 have played NBA minutes this season. 13 have seen game time in 20+ contests. Only 5 averaging more than 5 points a game.

Not a guarantee but a 2nd round selection seems to at least garner a look for guys at the NBA level — definitely an uphill battle to carve out a long-term roster spot though

Of the 2020 draft class, 25/30 have played NBA minutes this season. 13 have seen game time in 20+ contests. Only 5 averaging more than 5 points a game.

Not a guarantee but a 2nd round selection seems to at least garner a look for guys at the NBA level — definitely an uphill battle to carve out a long-term roster spot though
Spot on, pretty much everyone drafted in the second round is on a two way contract. Usually these contracts are two year deals, guys might get plugged into the rotation from time to time, but after the first couple of years you’ll start to see guys fall out of the league and end up overseas somewhere.

As an example, of the 30 guys selected in the second round in 2018, about a third of them are no longer on an NBA or G League roster. Going further back to 2017, more than half of them are no longer on an NBA or G League roster.

This. 2nd round picks will play as rooks but their longevity in the league is not very good. These are the guys that end up in the G league and they try to stand out there

Reactions: RUby RED
We may need to wait until July 19th?

Specifically for Baker/RHJ? Yes potentially.
I would think an invite to the NBA Draft Combine would be the first significant date for them.

If you don't get invited to the NBA Combine then odds of getting drafted are significantly reduced.

I would imagine any NBA appearances raise a players attractiveness to teams overseas as well. As well as to those fan bases and helps with their own image and likeness value in those markets.

This is behind the ESPN paywall so I haven't read it.

But just pointing out that NBA teams are already looking at the 2022 Draft and evaluating the top prospects.
Specifically current HS seniors who will be the top picks next year.

This is why college juniors/seniors rarely improve their draft projections by returning to school and they already know their evaluation before even declaring.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...-battle-plus-emerging-international-prospects

Franz Wagner (Michigan) delcared and hiring an agent.

He's been projected as a lottery pick (Top 14) by most everyone.

Franz Wagner (Michigan) delcared and hiring an agent.

He's been projected as a lottery pick (Top 14) by most everyone.
He could turn out to be the best player in this draft as he
matures. Tremendous instincts

This is behind the ESPN paywall so I haven't read it.

But just pointing out that NBA teams are already looking at the 2022 Draft and evaluating the top prospects.
Specifically current HS seniors who will be the top picks next year.

This is why college juniors/seniors rarely improve their draft projections by returning to school and they already know their evaluation before even declaring.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/st...-battle-plus-emerging-international-prospects

While I agree in general with you that moving up in the draft is difficult, the gist of this particular article is that 2022 prospects, due to the pandemic, have not benefitted from the AAU circuit or HS ball, so they will be evaluated on their lone college seasons. This probably bodes well for some upperclassmen if it limits one-and-dones.

Reactions: NickRU714
https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/enforcement/2021ENF_NBAMemo.pdf

Attached document outlines the entire NCAA player process.
Interesting read.

"Getting feedback" (page 11) - good chance RHJ and Baker already have their initial feedback.

Keep in mind:
  1. The NBA Undergraduate Advisory Committee is composed of NBA team executives who will provide a confidential projection of a potential draftee’s likely draft position.
  2. The NBA began providing the initial round of written feedback to UAC applicants on April 1, 2021. The NBA will continue to provide feedback on a rolling basis until all UAC feedback have received their initial round of written feedback. All UAC applicants will receive written feedback well in advance of the NBA’s early entry deadline on Sunday, May 30, at 11:59 p.m. (ET).
    1. It typically will take at least one full week from the time the application is submitted before a student-athlete and his college head coach receive any feedback. Sometimes, it will take slightly longer before he receives any feedback.

For some dumb reason I turned on a game the other not. Every time someone took a 3 a line was drawn and when it went in a big cloud of smoke.

Never again

basketball as we know it is fading before our eyes.

For some dumb reason I turned on a game the other not. Every time someone took a 3 a line was drawn and when it went in a big cloud of smoke.

Never again

basketball as we know it is fading before our eyes.

Was probably the special "Marvel Super Heros" games.

I didn't watch but sounds like it was similar to the Nickelodeon Super Bowl broadcast.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Last edited:

I did find this quote really funny:
""I decided to go all-in now, rather than just testing the waters, so teams know that I'm fully committed to staying in the draft and that I am not just one foot in, one foot out."

It makes literally zero sense. Every prospect is "all in" if they stay in the draft after the withdrawal deadline.
Does he think he was going under the radar because teams thought he wasn't "all-in"?
That's not how this works.
This isn't the baseball draft where a player drops because they may turn down the pro-league and go to college.

NBA players union need to protect these kids. Why do kids have to declare for the draft?

terrible. I am not for amateurs to get a piece of the money pie but at the same time they shouldn’t have to make any monetary decisions when they aren’t getting paid.

imagine the horror to current agents if the NCAA took a small part of the pie and paid “court appointed” agents a flat fee for representing college athletes

NBA players union need to protect these kids. Why do kids have to declare for the draft?

terrible. I am not for amateurs to get a piece of the money pie but at the same time they shouldn’t have to make any monetary decisions when they aren’t getting paid.

imagine the horror to current agents if the NCAA took a small part of the pie and paid “court appointed” agents a flat fee for representing college athletes

I'm not even sure what this means. Any of it.

There are already "NCAA approved agents" that a player can hire and keep his eligibility.

I'm pretty sure that it's the NCAA driving the requirement to declare for the draft.
The NBA doesn't revoke college eligibility for staying in the draft.
The NCAA does.

NBA has deadlines so that players (from anywhere) aren't applying at the last minute and gives teams time to do evaluations.

Mac McClung (G - Texas Tech) is staying in the draft.
This has little effect on the actual draft
He is in the same boat as Baker and Harper with a late 2nd round to most likely undrafted projection.

Just providing the update because he seems to be a board darling for some reason or another.
I have little to no idea who the kid is.
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/31460965/texas-tech-guard-mac-mcclung-remain-nba-draft
Correct, I would say most likely undrafted is a bit of an understatement frankly. Other B1G players like Isaiah Livers and Aaron Henry are significantly better and even they’re on the very fringe of getting drafted. Incredibly tough

Looks like combine invites going out.

Wonder if we start to see people who weren't invited drop out of the draft.

Not figured to be a lottery pick, but my steal of the draft is Isaiah Jackson 6'10", 205 19 year old PF from University of Kentucky.

The Knicks have two picks in this years draft: #19 and #21. I know they need a PG, but they also need the best player available.

Getting close.
G League announced their 40 camp invites.
It will take place this weekend.

These guys will be trying to earn a full Combine invite.

NBA Draft Lottery was last night.
Detroit Pistons were the big winner getting the #1 overall pick.

Minnesota Timberwolves were the big loser. Their pick was Top 3 protected.
Ended up #7 so it went to the Warriors.
Same for Chicago - their #8 pick goes to Orlando.

Will be interesting if Warrior (#7 and #14) try to move up and what Orlando (#5 and #8) does.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT