ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NBA Playoffs

Very happy that the new garbage "super" team lost to Giannis and the Bucks who are doing it right. It was a rare good night for the NBA.

What exactly does "doing it right" mean?
Just want tonbe clear.

Does that include the Bucks trading 5 1st round picks (2 picks, 2 swaps, RJ Hampton) for Jrue Holiday last offseason?

Does it include signing Giannis' brother to play 45 seconds a game?

I don’t watch the NBA anymore but LMAO at Kyrie and the Nets 😆🤣😂

I was a Nets fan from the early 90s all the way until the rat broke up a winning team and announced to move it.

So funny that they have Durant and Harden and still lost.

Irving can go request a trade now 😁

Oh so this is going to turn into another "I don't watch the NBA in 45 yeara but surprisingly I have terrible takes" type of thread.

So funny people how far people will go out of their way to give terrible analysis on something they claim to actively dislike and not care about.

What exactly does "doing it right" mean?
Just want tonbe clear.

Does that include the Bucks trading 5 1st round picks (2 picks, 2 swaps, RJ Hampton) for Jrue Holiday last offseason?

Does it include signing Giannis' brother to play 45 seconds a game?
Doing it right means that an MVP caliber player is staying put and trying to win with his franchise instead of running scare to a new team or demanding a trade to team up with another superstar/s to win a championship on the cheap (e.g., LeBron, Harden, KD twice, Davis, etc.).

Clear?

I don’t watch the NBA anymore but LMAO at Kyrie and the Nets 😆🤣😂

I was a Nets fan from the early 90s all the way until the rat broke up a winning team and announced to move it.

So funny that they have Durant and Harden and still lost.

Irving can go request a trade now 😁
They will probably keep the team and LeBron will join them so he can ride their coattails to another championship.
Nice to see these so-called “super teams” lose.

There’s been super teams in every decade of basketball. The nets are another one. The way they were able to become a destination for stars just a few years after they had the bleakest outlook in the NBA is pretty remarkable.

Reactions: NickRU714
The reason the Nets loss was that Durant was the only dependable scorer on the court.Harden was hurt and the rest of the players were shooting bricks.Lopez was a difference maker for Milwaukee because he is a center that can make 3 pointers.

Those of you who stopped rooting for the Nets because they left NJ... you probably weren't much of a fan anyway. It's not like they moved to Nashville, Kansas City, or Seattle. Did Bronx residents stop caring about the Giants and did Queens residents stop being fans of the Jets when they moved to East Rutherford?

Would you stop loving your grandmother because she moved from Piscataway to East Rutherford to Newark to Brooklyn?

I've been a diehard fan of the Nets since they played at the RAC from 1977-81. Last night's loss was a heartbreaker. I am already looking forward to next season with a complete healthy roster.

Last edited:
The masks and the social distancing between the interviewers and the coaches is hilarious. It’s even funnier when how they make it a point to show it all the time.

Those of you who stopped rooting for the Nets because they left NJ... you probably weren't much of a fan anyway. It's not like they moved to Nashville, Kansas City, or Seattle. Did Bronx residents stop caring about the Giants and did Queens residents stop being fans of the Jets when they moved to East Rutherford?

Would you stop loving your grandmother because she moved from Piscataway to East Rutherford to Newark to Brooklyn?

I've been a diehard fan of the Nets since they played at the RAC from 1977-81. Last night's loss was a heartbreaker. I am already looking forward to next season with a complete healthy roster.
True, I never fully was a NJ Net fan and always felt the Knicks tug on my fanhood , because I was a Knick fan before the Nets started out as the NJ Americans playing in Teaneck.
I also was living in another state and the Nets were my second favorite team to the one in state living in.
Nets leaving Jersey for Brooklyn wasn't the first time that franchise dumped Jersey.
After one year playing at the at the Teaneck Armory they moved to Long Island changing their name from the Americans to the New York Nets
Shame they didn't keep Americans handle, so when Julius Erving was playing for them
they could be known as Dr. J and the Americans :WooHoo:

Reactions: PiscatawayMike

My opinion on the subject means nothing since I’ve never been a Nets fan, but I think the difference between the Giants and Jets moving vs the Nets is the Giants and Jets remained the New York Giants and the New York Jets. New York remained a part of those teams’ identity, while the Nets went from being the New Jersey Nets to the Brooklyn Nets.

Those of you who stopped rooting for the Nets because they left NJ... you probably weren't much of a fan anyway. It's not like they moved to Nashville, Kansas City, or Seattle. Did Bronx residents stop caring about the Giants and did Queens residents stop being fans of the Jets when moved to East Rutherford?

Almost every Nets fan I knew at the time stop rooting for them when they dismantled a good team on purpose

Last edited:
Doing it right means that an MVP caliber player is staying put and trying to win with his franchise instead of running scare to a new team or demanding a trade to team up with another superstar/s to win a championship on the cheap (e.g., LeBron, Harden, KD twice, Davis, etc.).

Clear?

No. Not clear in the least.
You said "building a team the right way" and then listed a bunch of players.

The "right way" to build a team is draft a future MVP caliber player and build around him?
That basically sounds like "The Process" - be terrible and keep taking shots in the draft until you hit on a Superstar.
Did the Sixers "build the right way" but being terrible until they lucked into Embiid?
Thought everyone said that was the wrong way to "build a team".

Acquiring Superstars through Free Agency/Trades is actually a better way because that means the front office actually made the team desirable and the player wants to play there.
Drafting a Superstar just means you were terrible enough and got a bailout from the league.

So if you were the Nets GM and had managed your cap for years to have a ton of space in 2020 offseason.
You would have said NO to signing Kyrie and Durant?
Should the Clippers have said "No. We don't want you Kawhi.
Don't care that you just carried Toronto to a championship. We didn't draft you."

If Zion demands a trade to play with his best friend R.J. Barrett - the Knicks should say "No" because it's not "the right way"?
Would love to get Knicks fans thoughts on that.

I am stunned that an Atlanta team won a game 7, especially on the road. Didn't they get the memo? Now they might have a shot at making the Finals. Incredible.

I am stunned that an Atlanta team won a game 7, especially on the road. Didn't they get the memo? Now they might have a shot at making the Finals. Incredible.

They have really hit a good set of teams to go against.
Their main downfall would be a team exploiting Trae on defense and making him work.
Tiring him out on that end and impacting his offense.

Knicks - no great playmaking guards
Sixers - no great playmaking guards
Bucks - Jrue could potentially punish him. Will have to see.

I think the Nets would have been a disaster for the Hawks, especially if Irving were playing.
They would be hunting out Trae on every possession with Harden and Irving.
He hasn't really had to worry about that yet.

Would be great to see a Hawks-Suns Finals.
Chris Paul, on the short list of greatest "small" PGs (and all PGs really), going against Trae.
If they get Trae on Booker though, that wouldn't be too good.

I think Philly (and Ben Simmons) lost more than ATL winning. However, big credit to ATL for getting it done, especially with Trae Y having a relatively poor game.

My opinion on the subject means nothing since I’ve never been a Nets fan, but I think the difference between the Giants and Jets moving vs the Nets is the Giants and Jets remained the New York Giants and the New York Jets. New York remained a part of those teams’ identity, while the Nets went from being the New Jersey Nets to the Brooklyn Nets.
Great point and big, big difference.

If Grandma moved to State College, PA, it could be a close call on the love thing.

No. Not clear in the least.
You said "building a team the right way" and then listed a bunch of players.

The "right way" to build a team is draft a future MVP caliber player and build around him?
That basically sounds like "The Process" - be terrible and keep taking shots in the draft until you hit on a Superstar.
Did the Sixers "build the right way" but being terrible until they lucked into Embiid?
Thought everyone said that was the wrong way to "build a team".

Acquiring Superstars through Free Agency/Trades is actually a better way because that means the front office actually made the team desirable and the player wants to play there.
Drafting a Superstar just means you were terrible enough and got a bailout from the league.

So if you were the Nets GM and had managed your cap for years to have a ton of space in 2020 offseason.
You would have said NO to signing Kyrie and Durant?
Should the Clippers have said "No. We don't want you Kawhi.
Don't care that you just carried Toronto to a championship. We didn't draft you."

If Zion demands a trade to play with his best friend R.J. Barrett - the Knicks should say "No" because it's not "the right way"?
Would love to get Knicks fans thoughts on that.

I personally think the Warriors did it the right way. They drafted the core of their lineup - Steph, Draymond, Klay, Barnes + brought in a number of supporting cast members/stays: Iguodola, Livingston, Bogut, etc). They then went super team when the club brought KD on. Contrast that with the Nets and Clippers - all their big players were brought in as free agents.

They have really hit a good set of teams to go against.
Their main downfall would be a team exploiting Trae on defense and making him work.
Tiring him out on that end and impacting his offense.

Knicks - no great playmaking guards
Sixers - no great playmaking guards
Bucks - Jrue could potentially punish him. Will have to see.

I think the Nets would have been a disaster for the Hawks, especially if Irving were playing.
They would be hunting out Trae on every possession with Harden and Irving.
He hasn't really had to worry about that yet.

Would be great to see a Hawks-Suns Finals.
Chris Paul, on the short list of greatest "small" PGs (and all PGs really), going against Trae.
If they get Trae on Booker though, that wouldn't be too good.

I may be underestimating the Hawks - but I see the Bucks taking out the Hawks with relative ease. Holiday will be much more physical on Trae....Tucker will look to punish either Collins or Gallo. Middleton should matchup well against Huerter. Also Capela will have to switch to stay inside when Lopez roams out by the perimeter and will create matchup nightmares when Giannis drives.

Bucks can only stop themselves with stagnant ISO sets and Giannis hoisting up silly 3's. Refs may also play a role in the Hawks being able to take a game or two with all the touch fouls on Trae. Breath on the guy and they blow the whistle.

I may be underestimating the Hawks - but I see the Bucks taking out the Hawks with relative ease. Holiday will be much more physical on Trae....Tucker will look to punish either Collins or Gallo. Middleton should matchup well against Huerter. Also Capela will have to switch to stay inside when Lopez roams out by the perimeter and will create matchup nightmares when Giannis drives.

Bucks can only stop themselves with stagnant ISO sets and Giannis hoisting up silly 3's. Refs may also play a role in the Hawks being able to take a game or two with all the touch fouls on Trae. Breath on the guy and they blow the whistle.
I really wouldn’t count the Hawks out, all of their players are full of confidence right now while Jrue struggled in the last series, and I think McMillan is a much better coach than Budenholzer. The bucks played a dumb series against the nets while the hawks are playing very smart. I think Hawks have a big shot.

I really wouldn’t count the Hawks out, all of their players are full of confidence right now while Jrue struggled in the last series, and I think McMillan is a much better coach than Budenholzer. The bucks played a dumb series against the nets while the hawks are playing very smart. I think Hawks have a big shot.
You make a very good point. The Bucks are easily the dumbest team I’ve seen in the playoffs and the Hawks are easily the smartest. It might be interesting.

But if a tough night as a Nets fan, but it is pretty remarkable a small market team like Milwaukee pulled this off.

I haven’t been a fan of the NBA in many years and I didn’t watch a single game during the regular season. However, once LeBron was knocked out, I watched quite a bit of the playoffs and truly enjoyed it. The politics became less as the playoffs wore on and it was nice to watch two likable teams in the finals.

Reactions: shields
I haven’t been a fan of the NBA in many years and I didn’t watch a single game during the regular season. However, once LeBron was knocked out, I watched quite a bit of the playoffs and truly enjoyed it. The politics became less as the playoffs wore on and it was nice to watch two likable teams in the finals.

It's almost exactly what every NBA fan has been saying.
Most everyone who complains about the NBA, complains about things that occur off the court (politics?) or don't actually occur (no defense, just chucking up 3s).

I literally only watch NBA games - not on Twitter, no pre-game shows, ESPN day time talk shows, SportsCenter or anything else.
Have heard zero reference to "politics".

Ironically, the biggest issue with the current NBA is something you only notice if you watch games - which is why it's never brought up here.
End of game replay reviews kill the game and need to worked out for next season.

Congrats to the Bucks.
Giannis was great.
It's the NBA of today - another Super Team loaded with 3 max-contract players winning.

They are actually the poster child of building a Super Team now.
Last 2 years they stalled out with their 2 max-contract All-Stars.
This past offseason they traded all their future draft picks (5 total) for another max-contract player.
Win championship.

2021-2022 payroll next year:
Giannis - $39.3m
Middleton - $35.5m
Holiday - $31m

I have significantly lost interest over the years once the Nets left NJ, the rise of the Super-teams, Lebron being in the finals every year, etc.

But I did watch the Bucks knock off the Nets and found the Milwaukee/Phoenix finals to be entertaining and a good watch.

Reactions: MADHAT1 and shields
Congrats to the Bucks.
Giannis was great.
It's the NBA of today - another Super Team loaded with 3 max-contract players winning.

They are actually the poster child of building a Super Team now.
Last 2 years they stalled out with their 2 max-contract All-Stars.
This past offseason they traded all their future draft picks (5 total) for another max-contract player.
Win championship.

2021-2022 payroll next year:
Giannis - $39.3m
Middleton - $35.5m
Holiday - $31m

I have a different view of what makes up an NBA Super Team. Regardless of contract level (and note that this year Middleton ranked 18th, Giannis 40th and Holiday 45th in salary) Subjectively - I always viewed a "Super Team" as the convergence of multiple "1A" level players on the same team - with "1A" meaning a player who is headed for the HOF, an All Star Level or at a minimum good enough the be the best player on any contending NBA team . Certainly Giannis falls into that category. Middleton and Holiday are very very good players - but IMO are the next level down from top players. Further, the concept of NBA Super Teams was also coined based on Superstar level players choosing to pair up with other Superstar players to create or join an immediate contender.

Giannis and Middleton have been with the Bucks since 2013. Middleton was traded for in 2013 - a former 2nd round pick who was acquired because the Bucks were unable to land Jeff Teague. The team gave up a lot in a trade for Holiday this season. But he was known more as a very good player / defensive stopper - not a superstar when they acquired him.

Giannis feels differently about the Bucks being a Super Team.

Reactions: soundcrib
I have a different view of what makes up an NBA Super Team. Regardless of contract level (and note that this year Middleton ranked 18th, Giannis 40th and Holiday 45th in salary) Subjectively - I always viewed a "Super Team" as the convergence of multiple "1A" level players on the same team - with "1A" meaning a player who is headed for the HOF, an All Star Level or at a minimum good enough the be the best player on any contending NBA team . Certainly Giannis falls into that category. Middleton and Holiday are very very good players - but IMO are the next level down from top players. Further, the concept of NBA Super Teams was also coined based on Superstar level players choosing to pair up with other Superstar players to create or join an immediate contender.

Giannis and Middleton have been with the Bucks since 2013. Middleton was traded for in 2013 - a former 2nd round pick who was acquired because the Bucks were unable to land Jeff Teague. The team gave up a lot in a trade for Holiday this season. But he was known more as a very good player / defensive stopper - not a superstar when they acquired him.

Giannis feels differently about the Bucks being a Super Team.

Got it. So it's not how the roster is put together. Since you agree the Bucks put together their roster the same way the "Super Teams" and all teams do.

It's who is on the roster? That makes sense....except it doesn't.
Teams should NOT acquire the best talent? Teams shouldn't attempt to upgrade their roster talent?
Bucks literally traded away his starting PG along with multiple picks for a better PG.
If Milwaukee could have made that trade for Luka or Harden instead of Holiday - 100% they do it.

Giannis is full of it. Sure, he didn't change teams.
But, if he believed in his team so much, then why the Holiday trade?
Why not keep Bledsoe?
Because he wanted a more talented team.

I won't even bring up the ongoing comedy of college sports fans rooting against stacking talent.
Luckily HC Schiano isn't against trying to build a "Super Team".

the pushback against "super teams" like LeBron going to Miami or KD going to Golden State, is it's simply a bunch of players getting together and deciding to all head to the same place. Kinda the opposite of stars in the 80s or 90s that all hated each other and would never team up.

Milwaukee built their team organically and watched it grow over time. Giannis wasn't even a lottery pick. Middleton was a throw in in the Brandon Jennings trade to Detroit. That they both grew over 8 years to become an MVP and an All Star caliber player didn't make them a super team when acquired 8 years ago. Then they cashed in all their trade assets to land Jrue Holiday. It's basically the only way any small market team can hope to compete for a title. Hit on some long shots like Giannis and Middleton that develop and then go all in when you get close.

Got it. So it's not how the roster is put together. Since you agree the Bucks put together their roster the same way the "Super Teams" and all teams do.

It's who is on the roster? That makes sense....except it doesn't.
Teams should NOT acquire the best talent? Teams shouldn't attempt to upgrade their roster talent?
Bucks literally traded away his starting PG along with multiple picks for a better PG.
If Milwaukee could have made that trade for Luka or Harden instead of Holiday - 100% they do it.

Giannis is full of it. Sure, he didn't change teams.
But, if he believed in his team so much, then why the Holiday trade?
Why not keep Bledsoe?
Because he wanted a more talented team.

I won't even bring up the ongoing comedy of college sports fans rooting against stacking talent.
Luckily HC Schiano isn't against trying to build a "Super Team".

Not sure I understand your point nor why you are getting so sensitive about this. My point was solely about the concept and definition of a super-team. You defined a super team solely on max salaries in your previous post in this thread to which I rebutted. Further......
  • I never said anything about teams not trying to get better through acquiring talent. If they bring in a better player, does that automatically make them a Super Team? Your point makes no sense. If the Knicks trade for Sexton as an upgrade at the point, does that make them a Super Team?
  • If Luka or Harden were acquired by the Bucks - it would be a different situation and we would speak to it accordingly - and I might agree with your assessment - but they did not, so your point is moot. Further, Holiday was/is not considered at their level.
Again - my view of the concept of an NBA Super Team is about the convergence of the highest level NBA Talent on the same roster. I think that's pretty clear cut. My feeling is that Middleton and Holliday are very good players but not at the highest level. You are attempting to manufacture this into a separate debate about teams upgrading talent - to which I have no dispute with your point.

Honestly - just wondering if you are still butt hurt about the Bucks beating the Nets and trying to rationalize this away by assigning a "Super Team" tag to the Bucks to make yourself feel better. Not to worry -Vegas has already layed odds for next year with your Super Team Nets favored to win it all over the Super Team Lakers.....followed by the NON Super Team Bucks.

Last edited:
Not sure I understand your point nor why you are getting so sensitive about this. My point was solely about the concept and definition of a super-team. You defined a super team solely on max salaries in your previous post in this thread to which I rebutted. Further......
  • I never said anything about teams not trying to get better through acquiring talent. If they bring in a better player, does that automatically make them a Super Team? Your point makes no sense. If the Knicks trade for Sexton as an upgrade at the point, does that make them a Super Team?
  • If Luka or Harden were acquired by the Bucks - it would be a different situation and we would speak to it accordingly - and I might agree with your assessment - but they did not, so your point is moot. Further, Holiday was/is not considered at their level.
Again - my view of the concept of an NBA Super Team is about the convergence of the highest level NBA Talent on the same roster. I think that's pretty clear cut. My feeling is that Middleton and Holliday are very good players but not at the highest level. You are attempting to manufacture this into a separate debate about teams upgrading talent - to which I have no dispute with your point.

Honestly - just wondering if you are still butt hurt about the Bucks beating the Nets and trying to rationalize this away by assigning a "Super Team" tag to the Bucks to make yourself feel better. Not to worry -Vegas has already layed odds for next year with your Super Team Nets favored to win it all over the Super Team Lakers.....followed by the NON Super Team Bucks.

Eh. Good points.
Don't really care and letting it go.
Let's call a case of "boys will be boys".

Onto the draft.

Eh. Good points.
Don't really care and letting it go.
Let's call a case of "boys will be boys".

Onto the draft.

Some of the latest mocks have the Knicks linked to Tre Mann, Cam Thomas, Kai Jones or Trey Murphy with picks at 19 & 21. Also potentially putting a package together to move up near the top 10 to get Bouknight. Saw the Nets linked to Zaire Williams at 27.

ADVERTISEMENT