ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talk about an offensively challenged player...omg
Howden already should have have sat instead of PDG today, but if he benches Gauthier in
this week after how looked playing with Chytil, and continues to play Howden, it would be the last straw.

Shoulda waited til next season to make Nico captain

The season imploded when they did.

I told ya so Ronnie
What the holy hell you talking about? Nico being named captain had nothing to do with the season going to shit, Nico getting hurt is the reason among other factors. Jesus what a dumb take.

Howden already should have have sat instead of PDG today, but if he benches Gauthier in
this week after how looked playing with Chytil, and continues to play Howden, it would be the last straw.
Ive been pleased w PDGs game most nights, and Hauthier looked great today. I don't think Howden has ever had a good game.

Reactions: zappaa
Their record was pretty good before he came back, bad take RB
When he came back so did Zajac, Goose and Vats, who have ALL shit the bed, on top of that Blackwood came back after getting an asskicking from covid-19, ON TOP OF THAT you got a young team that has no practice time to address the special teams issue.

Every team that has been hit hard by covid-19 has struggled, get some perspective.

When he came back so did Zajac, Goose and Vats, who have ALL shit the bed, on top of that Blackwood came back after getting an asskicking from covid-19, ON TOP OF THAT you got a young team that has no practice time to address the special teams issue.

Every team that has been hit hard by covid-19 has struggled, get some perspective.

True but they rushed to make him C

And since they are 1-9

I voiced my concern that morning and have been proven right 10 games later

I would much rather blame the circle jerk, or what ever gave pretty much the entire Devils organization covid. The sad truth is this team has been worse the last decade, except for 2012, than they were before 1988. #PATHETIC

Watching them as a Ranger fan my feeling is that the Devils were awful yesterday, but from what I have seen from them in other games this year there is no reason to overreact about it. The Covid thing threw off their whole season and unfortunately the schedule is so condensed that there is a not a good opportunity to regroup like there would be in a normal year.

They had a great trade deadline last year and should just continue down the same path (selling off any veterans for assets). Acquiring all of those additional picks will pay off down the road, and it becomes a more enjoyable viewing experience to watch young players (even if they struggle) instead of a veteran you know will be no part of the team when they are good anyway.

I watch the Rangers players while a PP is going on so I didn't really take in what he Devils are doing, but the PK struggles might be something that can be attributed to Ruff and whatever system they are using.

The Rangers PK struggled when Ruff was involved in it, and has turned into one of the best in the league with his leaving and Martin taking over.

Reactions: RU Cheese
Watching them as a Ranger fan my feeling is that the Devils were awful yesterday, but from what I have seen from them in other games this year there is no reason to overreact about it. The Covid thing threw off their whole season and unfortunately the schedule is so condensed that there is a not a good opportunity to regroup like there would be in a normal year.

They had a great trade deadline last year and should just continue down the same path (selling off any veterans for assets). Acquiring all of those additional picks will pay off down the road, and it becomes a more enjoyable viewing experience to watch young players (even if they struggle) instead of a veteran you know will be no part of the team when they are good anyway.

It will be interesting see how much movement there is leading up to the trade deadline. One school of thought is that any trades between the US and Canadian teams will be completed early because of quarantine requirements.

Another is that dumping veteran's and their salaries for prospects and draft picks is going to be more difficult because most teams are tight against the existing cap and it is unclear where that figure is going in the near future. Thus to take on a salary you need to get rid of one either by including in the same or other trade or perhaps by just removing a player from your roster.

The final consideration is the upcoming expansion draft. Given the limits on the numbers that can be protected, most teams are going to have a make available guys they don't really want to lose. If you bring in someone who has time left on their contract are you just making your situation worse?

It will be interesting see how much movement there is leading up to the trade deadline. One school of thought is that any trades between the US and Canadian teams will be completed early because of quarantine requirements.

Another is that dumping veteran's and their salaries for prospects and draft picks is going to be more difficult because most teams are tight against the existing cap and it is unclear where that figure is going in the near future. Thus to take on a salary you need to get rid of one either by including in the same or other trade or perhaps by just removing a player from your roster.

The final consideration is the upcoming expansion draft. Given the limits on the numbers that can be protected, most teams are going to have a make available guys they don't really want to lose. If you bring in someone who has time left on their contract are you just making your situation worse?
The Covid issue will definitely change the market, but I don't think the expansion draft will have as much impact because many of the deadline trades are rentals (which don't affect your expansion list), and they also are easier to fit under a cap because the cap hit is only about 1/3 of the annual total for a player.

It will probably just be more likely that a selling team will have to take back some salary as part of the return instead of just draft picks. I am thinking back to the Nash trade by the Rangers. They took back Belesky, who they didn't really need, as part of the deal so Boston could fit Nash.

Ahh fack! I forgot about another upcoming expansion draft 😡
It’s going to be interesting.

I thought that Seattle would have a tougher time, and be unfairly compared to Vegas, because GMs would learn from the previous draft and had more time to prepare for this one.

Now, I think Seattle has a huge opportunity because of the ability to get some better assets than they normally would by taking on cap from teams with bad contracts.

I thought that Seattle would have a tougher time, and be unfairly compared to Vegas, because GMs would learn from the previous draft and had more time to prepare for this one.

Now, I think Seattle has a huge opportunity because of the ability to get some better assets than they normally would by taking on cap from teams with bad contracts.
Do we need expansion?
I love the format the way it is now.
The frequency of playing within your own division is tremendous.
Every game is a 4 point swing..so good.
Pittsburgh back to back, huge games.
No Bread!! B
No Igor

Devils have no one who can score. Even Hughes is a playmaker...not really a scorer. They’re bad.
No, they stink because they gave someone the letter C on the sweater of an injured player, if they didn't do that they'd be one of the top teams in the league, pay attention man.

In all seriousness our best scorers are still down in the farm system.

Last edited:
Reactions: mikemarc1
It'll be wonderful to watch the Seattle Brett Howdens play in the future.

Seems like people are simping ITT regarding Nico and the 1-9 record since he was given the C

Yes, the team just isn't good and were overachieving early in the season.

Their defense sucks, they don't have any snipers outside of Palmieri, they are small and soft too

But, like I had said that morning he was given the C, it was not the best move for the team this season. 1-9 later.

Odd that people can't understand that, they really think I said its the only reason why they have been 1-9 ?

Simps

Seems like people are simping ITT regarding Nico and the 1-9 record since he was given the C

Yes, the team just isn't good and were overachieving early in the season.

Their defense sucks, they don't have any snipers outside of Palmieri, they are small and soft too

But, like I had said that morning he was given the C, it was not the best move for the team this season. 1-9 later.

Odd that people can't understand that, they really think I said its the only reason why they have been 1-9 ?

Simps
Now your backtracking, you clearly yesterday and before of the opinion the only reason the Devils imploded was because they put the "C" on the sweater of one player and I don't like to be mean but that is the dumbest take I've heard all year.

The Devils were 6-3-2 right before Nico came back got the "C", but these events also happened.

- Zajac, Goose and Vats, were also added to the team and have all been bad to terrible.

- The addition of Zajac and Goose messed up four young lines that played fast and aggressive hockey, THAT'S why we were winning and played well, every line we rolled out was on top of the other team one line after another, the only weak link at the time was Palmieri.

- Vats taking Tennyson's spot in the lineup. The only defenseman we had that was aggressive and played a physically was the latter and he was effective, his numbers will never be good but sometimes you have to ignore that and go with the hits. Our defense sense the addition of Vats has been soft and horrific.

- Blackwood getting Covid-19 has set him back. Before that he was playing like a Top-5 goalie in the league, his numbers since his return have nosedived, and in fairness to Zajac I think the virus effected his game as well, he was playing effective hockey before he got sick and his level of play since then is not even AHL-level.

- ALL three teams that got hit hardest by Covid-19 in the league (Devils, Stars, Sabres) have struggled greatly and none of them are even close to .500. What a coincidence huh?

So keep blaming it on a letter Captain Simp.

Last edited:
Here is one of our solutions for scoring that I was talking about down at the farm, Dawson Mercer is going to be an NHL stud, watch him shorthanded pick the pocket of the other team and go coast to coast to score:

He finished the game with 3 goals and an assist.

Now your backtracking, you clearly yesterday and before of the opinion the only reason the Devils imploded was because they put the "C" on the sweater of one player and I don't like to be mean but that is the dumbest take I've heard all year.

The Devils were 6-3-2 right before Nico came back got the "C", but these events also happened.

- Zajac, Goose and Vats, were also added to the team and have all been bad to terrible.

- The addition of Zajac and Goose messed up four young lines that played fast and aggressive hockey, THAT'S why we were winning and played well, every line we rolled out was on top of the other team one line after another, the only weak link at the time was Palmieri.

- Vats taking Tennyson's spot in the lineup. The only defenseman we had that was aggressive and played a physically was the latter and he was effective, his numbers will never be good but sometimes you have to ignore that and go with the hits. Our defense sense the addition of Vats has been soft and horrific.

- Blackwood getting Covid-19 has set him back. Before that he was playing like a Top-5 goalie in the league, his numbers since his return have nosedived, and in fairness to Zajac I think the virus effected his game as well, he was playing effective hockey before he got sick and his level of play since then is not even AHL-level.

- ALL three teams that got hit hardest by Covid-19 in the league (Devils, Stars, Sabres) have struggled greatly and none of them are even close to .500. What a coincidence huh?

So keep blaming it on a letter Captain Simp.

Good summary RB 👋

You watch more hockey than me, but I really think there was no rush to give Nico the C when they did.

Agree to disagree bruh

Last edited:
Reactions: Ronnie_B
Here is one of our solutions for scoring that I was talking about down at the farm, Dawson Mercer is going to be an NHL stud, watch him shorthanded pick the pocket of the other team and go coast to coast to score:

He finished the game with 3 goals and an assist.
Love the Québécois calls.

This kid is a stud. Between him and Holtz, the sniping talent is there.

With the D kid they got last year and, if they keep tanking, the D kid they‘ll get this year, the template is there. It worked last time, why not do it again: suck for many years, draft high, draft well, get a little lucky, win some cups.

Reactions: Ronnie_B
Love the Québécois calls.

This kid is a stud. Between him and Holtz, the sniping talent is there.

With the D kid they got last year and, if they keep tanking, the D kid they‘ll get this year, the template is there. It worked last time, why not do it again: suck for many years, draft high, draft well, get a little lucky, win some cups.
Nolan Foote is another sniper who has been playing well in the AHL, but in next year's draft one of the top defensemen available is Luke Hughes, Jack's younger brother.

But the Devils system is still solid and the only bright spot on this season has been the play of the kids, there is a reason why Corey Pronman loves our prospects, we might not have the blue-chippers the Rangers or Kings have but our depth is unmatched.

I think Seattle like Vegas will be competitive from Year 1. While you get some exclusions with younger guys, which will help a team like the Rangers I think you only get to protect 7 forwards and 3 defensemen and a goalie. I think there is one other optional combination of players but the overall number is the same or less. I am unclear about UFA's but RFA's need to be included. Many teams will try to cut deals to "protect" players on their exposed list but it will still be costly. I think you only lose one player.

ICYMI...what a crazy sequence in overtime a few nights ago in Chicago. If there were fans in the stands the roof would have blown off.

Do we need expansion?
No Bread!! B
No Igor
Let’s put it this way.

The US TV contract with NBC pays the NHL $200 million a year and the owners have to share half of it with the players.

The Seattle ownership group paid the NHL $600 million for a team and the owners get to keep all of it.

There was no way this expansion was stopping, the worry is that they don’t stop at 32.

I agree on how fun the divisional play is this year.

Do we need expansion?
No Bread!! B
No Igor
It's like the old days when there was just six teams.

Reactions: zappaa
It's like the old days when there was just six teams.
Saw the Black Hawks with Bobby Hull and the Canadians with Jean Beliveau at the old garden with my dad and brothers.
They resurfaced the ice between periods with arena crew pushing their own separate machines...no zamboni.
I can’t tell you exciting it was.

DPaNVSjVAAI1LBZ.jpg

5 or so of these with two man crews.
My dad introduced us to Eddie Giacomin after the Canadians game, my dad and him spoke fluent Italian to each other....lol

Saw the Black Hawks with Bobby Hull and the Canadians with Jean Beliveau at the old garden with my dad and brothers.
They resurfaced the ice between periods with arena crew pushing their own separate machines...no zamboni.
I can’t tell you exciting it was.
One of the best things I ever did was take a trip up to Montreal to see the Devils play the Habs in the old Forum in it's last year, what an awesome time. I believe it was Marty's rookie year.

Reactions: TM94goRU and zappaa
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT