ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Henrik Lindquist was trying to make it back for the Caps this year. He is okay, but has to wait a couple of months. The doctor discovered inflammation around his heart. I know he would love a Stanley Cup but wish he would retire. I worry if he plays again we will have a tragic John Mcsherry like story.

Only Brett Howden can take a clear three on one break and turn it over at blue line. Kid is embarassing.

If a player other than Sidney Crosby (maybe Malkin) bumps Ty Smith into Blackwood, I truly believe that goal by Rust gets disallowed. They get a power play and boom 4-1 instead of what could be 2-2. Just disallow Subban's goal if this stands I can't help but think Bettman is putting his hand on the scale again. Give me a break. Great they got it right. I was having bad Kings in Stanley Cup Final flashbacks.

Forgot to hit post at the time I type it lol.
Taylor Hall along with Lazer traded late Sunday to the Bruins for a young player and a 2nd round pick.

To finish the Hall trade, Buffalo retains 50% of Hall's salary. The player Buffalo receiver is Andres Bjork.

If a player other than Sidney Crosby (maybe Malkin) bumps Ty Smith into Blackwood, I truly believe that goal by Rust gets disallowed. They get a power play and boom 4-1 instead of what could be 2-2. Just disallow Subban's goal if this stands I can't help but think Bettman is putting his hand on the scale again. Give me a break. Great they got it right. I was having bad Kings in Stanley Cup Final flashbacks.
I think the idea that Bettman is micromanaging the refereeing might be a little overstated, but the Tim Peel thing proved what we all suspected, that the rule book only goes so far and the flow of the game is actually controlled by the ideas and biases of the refs calling the games.

I think the idea that Bettman is micromanaging the refereeing might be a little overstated, but the Tim Peel thing proved what we all suspected, that the rule book only goes so far and the flow of the game is actually controlled by the ideas and biases of the refs calling the games.
Agreed, that was an in the moment hot take. I should have just gone with the powers of the NHL. I just think that star power did not cut it.

So Hall is going to the Bruins. Fine with me. They didn't have to give away the farm to get him either.

Per ESPN:
"The Sabres have agreed to trade Taylor Hall to the Bruins in a deal that also will see Curtis Lazar go to Boston, with Buffalo receiving Anders Bjork and a 2021 second-round pick, a source confirmed to ESPN.

Hall waived his no-movement clause to facilitate the deal, which is pending a trade call. The Sabres are retaining 50% of Hall's salary, the source said."

Reactions: rurichdog
Buffalo got a weak package back
Their hands were tied, some of it of their own doing, they gave Hall a NTC in his contract so it limited the number of teams they could negotiate with and Hall apparently made it clear that he wanted to head to Boston. Without a bidding war the Sabres were caught between a rock and hard place.

Sami Vatenan (spelling probably off sorry) claimed by the Stars. D. Kulikov traded to the Oilers for conditional draft pick. Not sure on pick. Jeff Carter back in division with the Pittsburgh. Kings received conditional 3rd and 4th round picks in future drafts.

My initial reaction to the T. Hall trade was that maybe Lou overpaid for KP and TZ. However the more I think about it, the price still seems reasonable.

One bit of Rangers’ news is that Zac Jones from the UMass team who was expected to go back to college for another year is turning pro instead.

I am trying not to think that they appear to be getting a lot of their prospects to NY all of a sudden because they will give up a bunch of them in a big stupid Eichel trade this summer.

Sami Vatenan (spelling probably off sorry) claimed by the Stars. D. Kulikov traded to the Oilers for conditional draft pick. Not sure on pick. Jeff Carter back in division with the Pittsburgh. Kings received conditional 3rd and 4th round picks in future drafts.

Kullikov returns a 2022 4th round pick that is upgraded to a 3rd round pick if Edmonton wins a playoff series this Spring.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Quick update and vent, Kulikov nets a conditional 4th round pick. I was hoping for more, based on chatter.
Now the venting session, very hot take like yesterday. I think it is horrible that TF and the Devils lose Sami and Gusev for nothing. How about playing things closer to the vest. We have rich owners, Vanderbeek is long gone. Cap space to burn, why put them on waivers and lose them for nothing. From what I have seen this year the Devil's should have been able to get a low level pick for both. Freaking Stefen Noeson fetched a 4th round pick. I can't remember when one team had 2 players picked up on waiver claims this close to the trade deadline.
Columbus has done the best job imo. A 1st rounder for NF.

Quick update and vent, Kulikov nets a conditional 4th round pick. I was hoping for more, based on chatter.
Now the venting session, very hot take like yesterday. I think it is horrible that TF and the Devils lose Sami and Gusev for nothing. How about playing things closer to the vest. We have rich owners, Vanderbeek is long gone. Cap space to burn, why put them on waivers and lose them for nothing. From what I have seen this year the Devil's should have been able to get a low level pick for both. Freaking Stefen Noeson fetched a 4th round pick. I can't remember when one team had 2 players picked up on waiver claims this close to the trade deadline.
Columbus has done the best job imo. A 1st rounder for NF.
As for the Foligno and Noeson moves, that's all one trade with money sloshing everywhere. You can't look at each player in a vacuum. The Sharks got a 4th because they are eating $1.375MM of Foligno's salary - a guy they never had rights to - in addition to dealing off Noeson. The Leafs 1st round pick comes at a price of Foligno plus $2.75MM in cash for Foligno's salary (plus the $1.375MM kicked in by San Jose).

And none of this explains why the Devils are waiving players at the trade deadline. That's the crazy stuff Mike Milbury did when the Islanders were broke.

Reactions: TM94goRU
The Capitals get Mantha, now even bigger. Another shock to me is the Bennett trade. I would have never thought he would fetch, what amounts to 2 second round picks. Disappointed we could not get at least a 3rd rounder for Kulikov. Oh well, TF did great last year. The slipper must have fallen off.
All in all, even with a flat cap and the Kraken coming in, a very weird trade deadline imo.

One bit of Rangers’ news is that Zac Jones from the UMass team who was expected to go back to college for another year is turning pro instead.

I am trying not to think that they appear to be getting a lot of their prospects to NY all of a sudden because they will give up a bunch of them in a big stupid Eichel trade this summer.
The Rangers are loaded with defensive prospects (flip side not so much at center), but yeah, avoid Eichel, I can't put my finger on why but I've never been a big fan of his.

As for the Foligno and Noeson moves, that's all one trade with money sloshing everywhere. You can't look at each player in a vacuum. The Sharks got a 4th because they are eating $1.375MM of Foligno's salary - a guy they never had rights to - in addition to dealing off Noeson. The Leafs 1st round pick comes at a price of Foligno plus $2.75MM in cash for Foligno's salary (plus the $1.375MM kicked in by San Jose).

And none of this explains why the Devils are waiving players at the trade deadline. That's the crazy stuff Mike Milbury did when the Islanders were broke.
Don’t you dare mention that name.

Reactions: rurichdog
The Rangers are loaded with defensive prospects (flip side not so much at center), but yeah, avoid Eichel, I can't put my finger on why but I've never been a big fan of his.
I have no problem with the Rangers using some of their prospect depth to get help at center, but I don’t want to trade a bunch of prospects for a guy already making $10million a year. I’d rather try and get a young center like Turcotte from the Kings (they can use defensemen or wings but have an overload of center prospects).

I fear that too. I want nothing to do with Eichels contract. I do think it'll be an interesting summer though.

I have no problem with the Rangers using some of their prospect depth to get help at center, but I don’t want to trade a bunch of prospects for a guy already making $10million a year. I’d rather try and get a young center like Turcotte from the Kings (they can use defensemen or wings but have an overload of center prospects).
I'd love Trevor Zefras from Anaheim

I'd love Trevor Zefras from Anaheim
I figure Anaheim considers Zegras untradeable at this point.

Turcotte is not as flashy as Zegras, but he projects to be a very good top 6 Center who plays a strong well rounded game. He would be a good fit on the Rangers because they have so much skill on the wings. I think he could be available in the right deal because the Kings have Kopitar for three more years and they just drafted Byfield.

Reactions: RU Cheese
I figure Anaheim considers Zegras untradeable at this point.

Turcotte is not as flashy as Zegras, but he projects to be a very good top 6 Center who plays a strong well rounded game. He would be a good fit on the Rangers because they have so much skill on the wings. I think he could be available in the right deal because the Kings have Kopitar for three more years and they just drafted Byfield.
It's funny because we were basically guaranteed to draft either Zegras, Turcotte, Newhook if we didn't win the draft lotteries. We came close to trading up to pick Newhook as well but Colorado didn't take the bait.

Reactions: Block R
It's funny because we were basically guaranteed to draft either Zegras, Turcotte, Newhook if we didn't win the draft lotteries. We came close to trading up to pick Newhook as well but Colorado didn't take the bait.
Last year we would have been in the area to take Anton Lundell who would have been a great fit for us as well.

Then again, they actually could have drafted Necas and took Lias instead, so who knows what they would have done.

Last year we would have been in the area to take Anton Lundell who would have been a great fit for us as well.

Then again, they actually could have drafted Necas and took Lias instead, so who knows what they would have done.
At least they have Brett Howden [/sarcasm]

At least they have Brett Howden [/sarcasm]
C’mon now, why make me think of that guy any more than I have to? Sunday night against the Islanders, the guy single handedly ruined as easy of a 3-on-1 opportunity you can ask for.

C’mon now, why make me think of that guy any more than I have to? Sunday night against the Islanders, the guy single handedly ruined as easy of a 3-on-1 opportunity you can ask for.
I posted that earlier in the thread. SH 3-1 from own blue line and guy blows it. Terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT