ADVERTISEMENT

OT: 2021 NHL Regular Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
How fitting, Subban turnover ices the game. Better team won tonight. Yes this hurts me to type. IS was amazing 27 saves. Jonas S. not really good tonight, I hope he gets better. Oh well, more loses more balls in lottery. We need to draft well.

How fitting, Subban turnover ices the game. Better team won tonight. Yes this hurts me to type. IS was amazing 27 saves. Jonas S. not really good tonight, I hope he gets better. Oh well, more loses more balls in lottery. We need to draft well.
Subban is one of the cases that scares me when other Ranger fans are so quick to want big contracts given to Kreider, Mika, etc.

It seems that a lot of hockey players hit the wall at an age they would still be at their peak in another sport.

Reactions: TM94goRU
Subban is one of the cases that scares me when other Ranger fans are so quick to want big contracts given to Kreider, Mika, etc.

It seems that a lot of hockey players hit the wall at an age they would still be at their peak in another sport.
Good point, I have always wondered if it is more self satisfaction with a big contract, or the player being more of a system guy and now something's changed. I know as a Ranger fan you would be sheepish about big contracts for players from other teams especially. Don't worry I will not mention any old 3rd line centers, 😆.

Good point, I have always wondered if it is more self satisfaction with a big contract, or the player being more of a system guy and now something's changed. I know as a Ranger fan you would be sheepish about big contracts for players from other teams especially. Don't worry I will not mention any old 3rd line centers, 😆.
I think sometimes it can be contract, injuries, system, etc. but with with some players you just stop seeing some of the things in one on one battles that used to make the player appear exceptional. The only thing I can chalk that up to is age affecting speed, reaction time, etc.

It’s why I thought giving a speed guy like Kreider a long contract was stupid, but I am not worried at all about Panarin having a major age-related decline because he appears to rely on vision and hockey sense more than beating people with physical tools.

Unforunately Zibanejad has already shown us this year, when recovering from Covid affected him physically, that giving him a big contract at 28 would be a mistake as well.

Typical Brett Howden game. No points, no shots on goal, virtually invisible, more ice time than Lafrenière
The whole 4th line played more than the 3rd line.
They moved Howden to wing now to give Krav a skilled offensive player to work with...🤣
The 3 of them got more time than Blackwell

The whole 4th line played more than the 3rd line.
They moved Howden to wing now to give Krav a skilled offensive player to work with...🤣
The 3 of them got more time than Blackwell
It’s crazy. Even Quinn seems to understand how good Kravstov has looked since he has played him on the second line at times, but he seems to be completely incapable of seeing that Howden is totally ineffective. With Buch’s emergence as a better penalty killer than Howden, there is no reason he should be dressing.

I think sometimes it can be contract, injuries, system, etc. but with with some players you just stop seeing some of the things in one on one battles that used to make the player appear exceptional. The only thing I can chalk that up to is age affecting speed, reaction time, etc.

It’s why I thought giving a speed guy like Kreider a long contract was stupid, but I am not worried at all about Panarin having a major age-related decline because he appears to rely on vision and hockey sense more than beating people with physical tools.

Unforunately Zibanejad has already shown us this year, when recovering from Covid affected him physically, that giving him a big contract at 28 would be a mistake as well.
True, this turn to a speed game coupled with the salary cap has change the nature of the entire league. I'm not a skater but just maybe guys lose the fast twitch on skates faster than just running.

Well after 2 periods it is impossible to put lipstick on this pig. I have to sum up this Devils team right now. To quote a song title from 90's supergroup Mad Season - Lifeless Dead. This is how I would sum up our play. Good grief.

You know I expected this all week
You did, you called it. It is getting harder to support this team. They pass up too many shots and when they shoot often they miss the net. The Rangers are a year and a half ahead of us on the rebuild. However I need to see more players playing with a sense of urgency. That is the toughest part, the laissez-faire attitude. At this point I hope Buffalo gets hot.

I know the Devils defense is suspect right now, but Mackenzie Blackwood has to be better than this.

Not even talking about our glory years but, the New Jersey Devils used to be known for being hard to play against. Where the hell is the pushback. To me that is the worse thing. Not just skill, we need to get bigger and stronger.

I like MB a couple of these should have been stopped. These are very hot takes, meant to be fun. Hell for the last period and a half I have been dreaming of signing the Hanson brothers. I don't care they are over 60. Something has to give, the Devils have to engage for 60 minutes, lol.

Last planned post in the last few seconds if this debacle. This team seems to play in the image of PK Subban. Not good imo.

Subban must be happy Jeff Skinner exists so that he isn’t the worst contract number in the league.
Great point. Congratulations on your team's victory. For the second time in a row it was not close.

Great point. Congratulations on your team's victory. For the second time in a row it was not close.
What kind of year has Holtz had since the draft? The Devils definitely need to add some goal scorers going forward and I know that was his strength.

What kind of year has Holtz had since the draft? The Devils definitely need to add some goal scorers going forward and I know that was his strength.
He was playing with men in Sweden. He was ok, but not earth shattering. I just saw it about a week ago, something like 9 goals and 11 assists. He might be called up. His team lost in the playoffs.

He was playing with men in Sweden. He was ok, but not earth shattering. I just saw it about a week ago, something like 9 goals and 11 assists. He might be called up. His team lost in the playoffs.
That's actually a decent total for the Swedish league, especially since he would be one of the youngest players there. That league (and the KHL) doesn't get the same kind of scoring the NHL does.

In addition to Zac Jones, the Rangers also have the best young defenseman in Europe...Lundqvist.
Lord knows how they plan to use all these guys.
Krup?....In regard to Kreider, I’m speechless.
We already know he’s gets very few assists, so when he’s in a goal drought he’s literally invisible.
Bread put one on a tee for him last night and he wiffed.
It’s hard for me to get mad at him, but he is the ultimate head case, great attitude, great teammate,....really low hockey IQ, and void of anticipation and instincts.
He lets more defenseman off the hook with his lack of physicality it makes him easy to play against.
He should be a nightmare for D men...he’s a love tapper in the corners and they know it.

Last edited:
In addition to Zac Jones, the Rangers also have the best young defenseman in Europe...Lundqvist.
Lord knows how they plan to use all these guys.
Krup?....In regard to Kreider, I’m speechless.
We already know he’s gets very few assists, so when he’s in a goal drought he’s literally invisible.
Bread put one on a tee for him last night and he wiffed.
It’s hard for me to get mad at him, but he is the ultimate head case, great attitude, great teammate,....really low hockey IQ, and void of anticipation and instincts.
He lets more defenseman off the hook with his lack of physicality it makes him easy to play against.
He should be a nightmare for D men...he’s a love tapper in the corners and they know it.
Unfortunately I see the Rangers going after Eichel, which would have a few of those young players heading out. After not seeing much right away from Kakko and Laf, even you must be impressed by how Kravtsov has looked.

I wasn’t happy with the Kreider contract at the time, I am even less happy that it may mean they can’t afford to keep Buchnevich long term. They already had gotten Panarin, what was the sense in giving a big contract to a guy who puts up decent numbers by being elite for 1/3 of the games and disappearing for the other 2/3?

As a Devils fan I hope you guys trade away high end prospects for him.
As a Devils fan we need high-end prospects. If you have not read all my post during the game last night, do it. I think you will lyao. I hope you get the meaning. Yes, my wicked humor was in full force.

Nico is overrated
You think? I see him as a nice 2-way player. Unfortunately, not one of the stars of the league. So yes I would agree.
That is a key problem. You look at PZ, MM, and yes JH and they leave you wanting more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any of the young Devils scoring like Barzel for example.

Nico is overrated
No he's not.

The only good thing about this losing is we'll be in position to grab one of the three top defensemen in the draft, the top one is Owen Power, he's 6'5" and a force and most likely go #1.

The other two are excellent and BOTH have Devils connections, there is Luke Hughes, Jack's younger brother who is very skilled and has a high ceiling, the other is Brandt Clarke, whose older brother Graeme is on the AHL Devils team and we will probably see him before this season is done with the varsity.

My choice would be Power but that's a slim chance as we would have to win the lottery to grab him, out of Hughes and Clarke I'm leaning towards the latter as he's a RH defenseman that we sorely need.

You think? I see him as a nice 2-way player. Unfortunately, not one of the stars of the league. So yes I would agree.
That is a key problem. You look at PZ, MM, and yes JH and they leave you wanting more. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see any of the young Devils scoring like Barzel for example.

I'd take Makar, Hesiskannan or Petterson if we redrafted

Everyone would but that's not the way it works. It's funny - the Rangers traded Stepan to be in a position to draft Peterson but then got stuck with Lias Assersson
The story is that AZ was the first of two trades the Rangers tried to make to happen to move them up far enough to get Peterson, but the second team (I don’t know if it was COL or DAL) liked who was falling to them (which makes sense) and decided not to trade back. The Rangers were caught flat footed and made what thought was a safe pick in Anderson.

In hindsight, it didn’t turn out to be a great draft but Martin Necas would look pretty good on the Rangers right now

Reactions: RU Cheese
Hall will play well for the rest of this season, get the big contract from Boston (or someone), and eventually get lazy and disinterested again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT